What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What's Normal? - Do you prefer/have white or colored lights on your Christmas tree? (1 Viewer)

Do you prefer/have white or colored lights on your Christmas tree?

• White

Votes: 47 43.1%
  • Colored

Votes: 62 56.9%

• Total voters
Prefer white, which we have on our main tree. I do like the look of the traditional colored bulbs too... we have them in our back yard trees.

white. We have been together since 1990, married since 95. we have accumulated quite a few ornaments over the years. This year we went relatively stark. and it looks wonderful. We have several from austria, switzerland, Germany... many we have gotten from Christkindlesmarkts, and places we have lived/visited (vail, Breckenridge, hawaii, etc).

the white lights seem to highlight them a little better imo

Mrs. O has one of those fancy Balsam Hill trees. It does white, colored, and white/colored. She goes in order every night.

We have white lights on the tree. But not those blue LED white lights, the more golden LED white lights. It's what the wife prefers. I don't have a strong preference. Same type of lights on the house as well, but we add some color lights in the trees.

I'm single. My only child is grown. I'm a scrooge. I do enjoy finding thoughtful and fun gifts for a long list of recipients (big family), but I haven't decorated in years. I've traveled for Christmas for over a decade. I traveled for six days last week.

Came home and my daughter and sis did the whole house. Outside is dripping in white icicle lights. Inside a real tree is done with gold and red lights in the family room. There's more, an artificial tree that's been boxed forever, the mantle, the open beams, the door and some windows, Santas all over the place. Sheesh whatta mess. I ain't taking it all down and boxing it. Also, it's lovely.

Our lights change between color and white. I have no preference, although they are usually on the color setting.
Yep just got a new tree and we use the switch option for now.

Although I really don't like blue and yellow lights for christmas. Wish there was like a red, green and white option :shrug:

Out side is mostly white with one green bush and one red bush mixed in

I grew up celebrating Christmas but could care less about a tree. My wife is Jewish and celebrates Hanukkah. I was so happy to not have to put up, decorate, and worst of all, clean up after a tree every year. Well, last year my wife decided she loved the idea of having a tree so now we have a "Hanukkah bush" which is exactly like a Christmas tree except with blue and white lights and some of the ornaments are Hanukkah related (menorah, star of David, etc...). So now I get to deal with all the crap work of a tree every year. Oi-humbug!

Last edited:
I grew up celebrating Christmas but could care less about a tree. My wife is Jewish and celebrates Hanukkah. I was so happy to not have to put up, decorate, and worst of all, clean up after a tree every year. Well, last year my wife decided she loved the idea of having a tree so now we have a "Hanukkah bush" which is exactly like a Christmas tree except with blue and white lights and some of the ornaments are Hanukkah related (menorah, star of David, etc...). And now, I get to deal with all the crap work of a tree every year. Oi-humbug!
How much less?

Our lights change between color and white. I have no preference, although they are usually on the color setting.
Yep just got a new tree and we use the switch option for now.

Although I really don't like blue and yellow lights for christmas. Wish there was like a red, green and white option :shrug:

Out side is mostly white with one green bush and one red bush mixed in

I have a few strands of my grandfathers old school large (painted ?) bulbs for outdoors. They’re all green and red. They look so much better than the smaller net style ones today. Need more bulbs though l.

When I was young I had no idea of the Jewish tradition of blue & white decorations. So after moving into my first place I just copied what I personally saw as the most eye pleasing design. Which happened to be my Jewish neighbors with their blue & white lights. I'm sure people thought I was also Jewish.

Prefer white, which we have on our main tree. I do like the look of the traditional colored bulbs too... we have them in our back yard trees.
Our main tree isn't the one we put presents under. We have a big 10 footer that we put in the front foyer, it looks great through the glass on the front doors and has white lights and it's our main tree. But then we have a ~5 footer that the kids decorate with colored lights in the living room, and that's where the presents go. Don't want a pile of presents for all to see through our front door glass.

Depends on the mood. We have the pre-lit tree with multiple options - white, colored, and blinking white. We use them all at various points.

As an aside, I used to live next to a real dbag in the Milwaukee suburbs (think @gianmarco ‘s neighbor). He worked for the developer that built my subdivision and thought he was the mayor of it or something.

He used to add hundreds of white lights to his oak tree in the front yard. I’m sure most here know the “flashing” bulb that comes with most light sets (pink or red tip). It’s not twinkle, it’s full on flashing (at least it was back in the day). Being the punk ### high schooler I was at the time, I got a ladder and climbed pretty high up in the tree and replaced a bulb with the flashing bulb. The whole tree blinked at a rhythmic pace for a few days until my neighbor finally took all the lights down to find the culprit bulb. Good times.

I grew up celebrating Christmas but could care less about a tree. My wife is Jewish and celebrates Hanukkah. I was so happy to not have to put up, decorate, and worst of all, clean up after a tree every year. Well, last year my wife decided she loved the idea of having a tree so now we have a "Hanukkah bush" which is exactly like a Christmas tree except with blue and white lights and some of the ornaments are Hanukkah related (menorah, star of David, etc...). And now, I get to deal with all the crap work of a tree every year. Oi-humbug!
How much less?
This much:
|---|

I also like being all alone towards the very end of the night, quiet in the house, everybody asleep......pouring maybe one last bourbon or scotch, perhaps taking a final toke in the darkness of my garage and then just laying near the tree and its colored lights, no other lights on. Shades drawn, complete silence, just me, a warm buzz and the radiance of bright colored Christmas tree lights.

I know blue light is good for depression. I think maybe all the lights in bright color are good for other things as well. Joy? Hope? Solace? Whimsy?

We haven’t set up a proper Christmas tree for many years. In our living room, we have a 6 foot tall simulated cherry blossom tree that has lights built into it that we just use for Christmas (we just turn the lights on in December). With that said—I can truly say that for Christmas trees—I don’t have a set preference in regard to lighting. To me—it just depends on how the tree is decorated. Some trees have lots of bright colors of ornaments and some are decorated with a particular color palette. Some of the trees have that fake snow stuff on them..etc. In general, I don’t think I can just say that the colors of the lights alone plays a big part in how much I like the look of a tree—the entire design does

Slightly prefer colored lights. Got a set of lights where I can switch between colored and white. So set it to whatever mood I’m in. Son prefers colored, daughter white. I find them changing it to their preferred.

Users who are viewing this thread