What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

When did the world hit it's peak? (1 Viewer)

ComfortablyNumb

Footballguy
I believe it was about 1910-1914. 

The Industrial Revolution was in full bloom with horseless carriages and flying machines!  No "Great", "World" or "Cold" Wars, no mass genocide, plagues pretty much in the past.  No Great Depression or over-population. No Fascism, Communism, or Terrorism. Everything was simple and the future was bright.  Sure, technology has made incredible leaps since then, but has that outweighed the many negative world influences?  I may sound like an old geezer, but I'm not optimistic about the world my grandchildren (should I have any) will live in.

The Industrial Revolution was in full bloom with horseless carriages and flying machines!  No "Great", "World" or "Cold" Wars, no mass genocide, plagues pretty much in the past.  No Great Depression or over-population. No Fascism, Communism, or Terrorism. Everything was simple and the future was bright.  Sure, technology has made incredible leaps since then, but has that outweighed the many negative world influences?  I may sound like an old geezer, but I'm not optimistic about the world my grandchildren (should I have any) will live in.
Written like a straight, white male. 

I don't mean that as an insult, but its pretty hard to think anything but right now (or maybe 2.5 years ago) was the peak time for the world.

Written like a straight, white male. 

I don't mean that as an insult, but its pretty hard to think anything but right now (or maybe 2.5 years ago) was the peak time for the world.
You nailed my demographic.  I acknowledge the great strides we've made in women's rights, race relations (though we have miles to go), LGBT..., and other areas.  I just think our evolution is outweighed by the many global problems we face today.  

Tonite I'm gonna party like this is right. I'm tempted to go 50 yrs earlier, when we'd just won a world war on 2 fronts and the middle class was burgeoning like never before, but matters of liberty & equal opportunity (not only for non-whites and women, but anyone who defied authority or social norms) keep me from doing so. I used to say to my friends that politics & progress went to hell when more Americans knew where Lewinsky bought The Dress than any Clinton policy initiative (which was a shame, because he shoveled as many goodies to the rich as anyone before or after him), and my life will probably end seeing the millenium as the apex.

Last edited by a moderator:

Seriously? Is anyone paying any attention in history class?

Have you ever stood and stared at it, marveled at its beauty, its genius? Billions of people just living out their lives, oblivious. Did you know that the first Matrix was designed to be a perfect human world, where none suffered, where everyone would be happy?

It was a disaster. No one would accept the program, entire crops were lost. Some believed we lacked the programming language to describe your perfect world, but I believe that, as a species, human beings define their reality through misery and suffering. The perfect world was a dream that your primitive cerebrum kept trying to wake up from. Which is why the Matrix was redesigned to this, the peak of your civilization!

I say your civilization, because as soon as we started thinking for you, it really became our civilization, which is of course what this is all about. Evolution, Morpheus, evolution. Like the dinosaur. Look out that window. You've had your time. The future is our world, Morpheus. The future is our time.

Apparently you know the "correct" answer?
There isn't a correct answer but 1910-1914 was no paradise. Horrible working conditions, cities were a cesspool, child labor, Triangle Shirtwaist Fire, Slocum Massacre, race riots after a black man wins the heavy weight title, women can't vote in US or almost anywhere on Earth, 40k Chinese killed by the plague, Mexican Revolution. It's the same as it always has been. It's not World War level crap  but I am sure people then would trade their lives for ours. The medicine alone is enough to do it. 

There isn't a correct answer but 1910-1914 was no paradise. Horrible working conditions, cities were a cesspool, child labor, Triangle Shirtwaist Fire, Slocum Massacre, race riots after a black man wins the heavy weight title, women can't vote in US or almost anywhere on Earth, 40k Chinese killed by the plague, Mexican Revolution. It's the same as it always has been. It's not World War level crap  but I am sure people then would trade their lives for ours. The medicine alone is enough to do it. 
Had an old boss that would say this. Damn, we're in concert on this one.  

• Jim Crow laws in full effect.
  • Women could not vote.  
  • Sterilization policies in effect.
One in every ~20-30 people on the planet died of the flu in the next five years.

Half the world was a colony.

The collapse of Empire in Russia, Turkey and Austria had made massive conflict inevitable.

I'd go something like 1990 (fall of the Iron Curtain) to 2008 (Financial Meltdown).

True - there is no correct answer, just opinions. That's why I posed the question; I'm curious what other opinions are, and I'm not married to my initial one.  I think we can throw stones at any era in human history.

I’ll say the peak was in the 1990s. Good LSD was easily obtainable. You could go to any large event (concert, sports) without being frisked. Classic Rock bands were still rocking and Great new music was coming out. Economy was stellar. 

66 million years ago before that damn meteor came around. Back when us humans were the lowest of the low on the food chain, defenseless little shrews who could only safely sneak out of our burrows to forage for food at night.

66 million years ago before that damn meteor came around. Back when us humans were the lowest of the low on the food chain, defenseless little shrews who could only safely sneak out of our burrows to forage for food at night.
How did we survive the meteor? Caves? 

About 550 million years ago the greatest expansion of life and diversity of life this world has ever known and as long as humans are around will ever know.

I was born in 1966, but would have loved to be about 20 years old then and skate from going to Nam. The music alone in the late 60’s and early 70’s is enough for me to just want to go back to that time and wander the streets of LA smoking a doobie and drinking a beer and listening to awesome music.

True - there is no correct answer, just opinions. That's why I posed the question; I'm curious what other opinions are, and I'm not married to my initial one.  I think we can throw stones at any era in human history.
I think anything other than "right now" requires an argument. Never has there been such a quality of life like this. The ease to access of information, entertainment and the state of medical advancements is unprecedented. 

I think anything other than "right now" requires an argument. Never has there been such a quality of life like this. The ease to access of information, entertainment and the state of medical advancements is unprecedented. 
I’d love to throw my phone in the ####### lake and go back a few years when we actually got together and talked over a beer.

I’d love to throw my phone in the ####### lake and go back a few years when we actually got together and talked over a beer.
I still talk to my friends when we are at the bar. The phone just enhances it because we can buy concert tickets when we talking about going or we can figure out what that awful fantasy trade someone made in our league a month ago. 

Anytime but right now is crazy talk. We have issues, for sure, but right ####### now is the best time in history to be alive.  And we are all super lucky to be part of the elite class (judging by the fact we all have easy access to this forum).

However I know what the OP refers. I read about this awhile ago while waiting for a haircut. People don't really consider reality when they evaluate life, they focus much more on the future. What people think of life is irrationally based on what people think the future will be like and not so much about the past/present

All of you picking anything other than current day are cracking me up. To the original poster who wanted the early 1900s, do you know what the average lifespan was in 1910?  It was 49 years of age, now it’s almost 80. I can wake up, hop on a plane and be anywhere in the world by this evening. I’m sitting on a couch right now in a fully automated heated/cooled home, communicating with people by touching a screen, and in 10 seconds can pull up any piece of information in the history of the world on my phone.

Im not sure how I survived in the 90s, let alone the 1910s. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread