What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

When Doubt Creeps In (1 Viewer)

Hot Sauce Guy

Footballguy
I don’t know who needs to hear this, but I know it’s important. This last week before the season is always the worst.

Reports come out, opinion pieces about players you drafted like “7 players to avoid in your draft!” and you have 6 of them, or “7 upside players everyone must draft!” & you have 0 of them.

Minor injuries pop up out of nowhere, suddenly 3 articles come out talking about your 1st round pick and how the new OC won’t be using them as much, etc, etc, etc

This is your annual reminder to sit back. Take a breath. Stop reading every thought-piece vomited into the ecosystem, stop beating yourself up for picks you could have made, should have made, or wished you’d made.

You did a lot of work prepping for your draft. You did the best you could at the time with the information at hand.

Relax. Take the week off. Nobody really knows what’s going to happen. Enjoy the moment. Hope springs eternal.

Good luck to everyone drafting this weekend, and to everyone who’s already drafted.
:hifive:

There aren’t many experts that I consider experts…most are no different than many of the good posters on this board…they are just fortunate enough to have an avenue to make it part of there livelihood (which is impressive)…I would say the biggest flaw is those who can not look at both the upside and downside of each player and situation but just dig their heels in or are contrarian just to be contrarian or because they want to prove they are the smartest guy in the room…those are the ones to avoid because they have stopped learning and there is always more to learn in this hobby (which we all wish we could make a living on)…just trust yourself because you are gonna be both right and wrong plenty of times but as long as it made sense when you did it it is what it is.

Reports come out, opinion pieces about players you drafted like “7 players to avoid in your draft!” and you have 6 of them, or “7 upside players everyone must draft!” & you have 0 of them.
Nope, that must just be a you thing. Thanks anyway.

Kidding, we all know that feeling, thanks for the encouragement 🤝 And I gotta say, I do hate those articles. Guys to avoid, guys to target, "sleepers", "busts". I used to put stock in them. That got old fast.

Relax. Take the week off.

Great reminder! This will be the last weekend most of us get to stop and smell the roses until December (or January if we're lucky), when the roses will be dead, gone, and possibly buried under several inches of snow.

Slight aside / hijack: if you run a league that drafts early (i.e. more than 2 weeks before the season), you should strongly consider keeping waivers closed entirely until a couple days before, or even after, Week 1. Nobody wants to be the guy who has to obsessively track Sleeper alerts and camp tweets in the middle of August even after your draft is concluded ... but also nobody wants to be the person who missed out on waivers to that guy because s/he had their priorities in order and was enjoying the last few days of summer. If you are in such a league, float this issue to your commissioner for next year. Like A-A-Ron and HSG guy both said: R-E-L-A-X.

great advice. take the week off stop thinking about FF, because the only thing worse than a high pick that flops or the coach talks like he's going to be used 'situationally', is no matter how you set your opening day roster, you'll screw up, you might still win, but that bench guy who went off for 25 pts - you'll start him week 2 when he goes for 6 fantasy pts. and so you're now a dog chasing its tail. lol
enjoy this week off!!

Slight aside / hijack: if you run a league that drafts early (i.e. more than 2 weeks before the season), you should strongly consider keeping waivers closed entirely until a couple days before, or even after, Week 1.

I never understood this. Why handcuff the owners in the league? If there's an injury or someone placed on IR or a kicker waived, teams need the option to make moves accordingly. With waivers/free agency closed, they're stuck unable to make improvements to their team.

Great reminder! This will be the last weekend most of us get to stop and smell the roses until December (or January if we're lucky), when the roses will be dead, gone, and possibly buried under several inches of snow.

Slight aside / hijack: if you run a league that drafts early (i.e. more than 2 weeks before the season), you should strongly consider keeping waivers closed entirely until a couple days before, or even after, Week 1. Nobody wants to be the guy who has to obsessively track Sleeper alerts and camp tweets in the middle of August even after your draft is concluded ... but also nobody wants to be the person who missed out on waivers to that guy because s/he had their priorities in order and was enjoying the last few days of summer. If you are in such a league, float this issue to your commissioner for next year. Like A-A-Ron and HSG guy both said: R-E-L-A-X.
Dynasty = year round. I don’t believe in jailing leagues because a few people want to take a break and don’t want to keep up with their team or waivers. Those types should only play redraft.

Dynasty = year round. I don’t believe in jailing leagues because a few people want to take a break and don’t want to keep up with their team or waivers. Those types should only play redraft.

Hard work and effort should always be rewarded...and with all the info available right now it really isn't even hard work anymore.

Sage advice here. No matter what you read/hear, beat writers are often speculating and coaches generally won’t tell you exactly what is going on. Just stick with your guns, see how it all shakes out after week 1 and then re-evaluate.

the last week before the season is always the best for me. i'm a big proponent of variance cause i usually have about 30 leagues. that way whatever hurts me also helps me. i'll take guys i don't particularly like in case i am wrong just to have a share or three. no worries about reports or whatever. by now most of my cash leagues are drafted (a couple more this weekend) and i have less stress and more fun friend and family free leagues drafting where the smack talk is great. most years are the same for me anyway. make playoffs in 60-70% of leagues and hope for the best when the time comes. waivers kinda suck with so many teams though

I agree

the last week before the season is always the best for me. i'm a big proponent of variance cause i usually have about 30 leagues. that way whatever hurts me also helps me. i'll take guys i don't particularly like in case i am wrong just to have a share or three. no worries about reports or whatever. by now most of my cash leagues are drafted (a couple more this weekend) and i have less stress and more fun friend and family free leagues drafting where the smack talk is great. most years are the same for me anyway. make playoffs in 60-70% of leagues and hope for the best when the time comes. waivers kinda suck with so many teams though
I’m in 6 dynasty leagues with 3 of them DEVY and 1 dynasty baseball league that includes minor league players rostered, so for me that is the perfect balance. I don‘t think 30 leagues would be much fun for me. I wouldn’t do justice for all of them equally. Too much to manage and do a good job for all of them the way that I would want to do. Not to mention the burnout that can result by being in so many leagues. They end up quitting some and that doesn’t do the commissioner or the league any good.

Last edited:
Sage advice here. No matter what you read/hear, beat writers are often speculating and coaches generally won’t tell you exactly what is going on. Just stick with your guns, see how it all shakes out after week 1 and then re-evaluate.
My favorite was a dude who’d observed a chargers practice saying he didn’t think Eke would get many receptions this year based on what he saw. In practice. In the session open to reporters.

Because OCs always tip their hand by opening up the full playbook in practice open to the media.

Right. Right.

Slight aside / hijack: if you run a league that drafts early (i.e. more than 2 weeks before the season), you should strongly consider keeping waivers closed entirely until a couple days before, or even after, Week 1.

I never understood this. Why handcuff the owners in the league? If there's an injury or someone placed on IR or a kicker waived, teams need the option to make moves accordingly. With waivers/free agency closed, they're stuck unable to make improvements to their team.

FWIW my post was intended solely for redraft; definitely agree that dynasty windows should be open year-round.

But I stand by it in the redraft case. If you’re the type who rubs his hands together with glee at the thought of stealing a march on leaguemates by grabbing a bunch of guys in the dead zone after an August 26 draft … then the “relax” message goes double for you. :-)

and 1 dynasty baseball league that includes minors
I don’t typically play with leaguemates that young.
:oldunsure:
Minor leagues players are rostered. You devil you :)
I’ve wanted to convert my FBB league to dynasty for years but my friends refuse. It vexes me.

I’m in the playoffs though - I was in 1st place for 7 weeks headed for a 1st round BYE, and in the last week, in the last inning of the last game I got knocked to 3rd.
:doh:

FWIW my post was intended solely for redraft; definitely agree that dynasty windows should be open year-round.

But I stand by it in the redraft case. If you’re the type who rubs his hands together with glee at the thought of stealing a march on leaguemates by grabbing a bunch of guys in the dead zone after an August 26 draft … then the “relax” message goes double for you. :-)

I don't understand this...if there is a waiver process how is it stealing...if it is one of those first come, first serve waiver processes from the 1990's just change it but it takes 5 minutes to check-in to see if anything is going on with all the info available.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread