What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Where should Crabtree be drafted in a non-PPR league? (1 Viewer)

corpcow

Footballguy
Most PPR rankings have Crabtree at 1.01 or 1.02 in PPR... in the rookie dynasty rankings (which are non-PPR), some have him as high as #1 and as low as #5. It seems he takes a particular hit in non-PPR given that most see him as a 80-100 catch guy which would obviously bump him in PPR.

SO, where do you see him fitting? Do you take him over Wells and Brown or go with the RBs there? Does team need factor in at that point? Do you consider even taking McCoy or Green before him, given the relative depth at WR?

Just trying to get a sense of where you're seeing him fall in non-PPR...

He loses a lot of value in PPR, imo. Obviously all WR's do, but Crabtree is a possession-type receiver, so hurts him a little more than some others I think.

I would definitely take Moreno, Wells, and Brown ahead of him. I'd consider McCoy depending on my team needs. I don't think I'd consider Greene over him, regardless of need - once you start talking about Greene, I'd think you'd be able to trade down.

It is my belief that in a non-PPR DYNASTY league I focus the top of my draft on the players who:

a) most likely to score TDs

b) touch the ball the most

c) yardage potential

d) "best" player

As this as my guide my non-PPR board looks like this (please note likely to change between now and my non-PPR dynasty league draft in August)

1) Moreno

2) Wells

3) D Brown

4-7 some combination of:

Greene, McCoy, Stafford and Sanchez

I would draft Crabtree 8th in a non-PPR league. I think Crabtree is the best WR in this class, but in a non-PPR scoring the delta between Crabtree and other rookies actually becomes the reverse of that in PPR leagues (I would take Crabtree top 3 in PPR rookie draft). Furthermore, it is my belief that in a non-PPR league there is a large pool of WRs in "Free Agency" that could be gotten in later rounds that will have comparable production to a player like Crabtree. For the past 3 years we've only had 1 rookie WR crack the top 10 in scoring from rookies in their class, so my preference is to stockpile RB/QB in these type of leagues.

If I were in the R1.2 or R1.3 in a non-PPR draft I would try to trade down to a team that wanted Crabtree and get a player I have higher on my board and get another rookie 1 for the next season.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is my belief that in a non-PPR DYNASTY league I focus the top of my draft on the players who:a) most likely to score TDsb) touch the ball the mostc) yardage potentiald) "best" playerAs this as my guide my non-PPR board looks like this (please note likely to change between now and my non-PPR dynasty league draft in August)1) Moreno2) Wells3) D Brown4-7 some combination of:Greene, McCoy, Stafford and SanchezI would draft Crabtree 8th in a non-PPR league. I think Crabtree is the best WR in this class, but in a non-PPR scoring the delta between Crabtree and other rookies actually becomes the reverse of that in PPR leagues (I would take Crabtree top 3 in PPR rookie draft). Furthermore, it is my belief that in a non-PPR league there is a large pool of WRs in "Free Agency" that could be gotten in later rounds that will have comparable production to a player like Crabtree. For the past 3 years we've only had 1 rookie WR crack the top 10 in scoring from rookies in their class, so my preference is to stockpile RB/QB in these type of leagues.If I were in the R1.2 or R1.3 in a PPR draft I would try to trade down to a team that wanted Crabtree and get a player I have higher on my board and get another rookie 1 for the next season.
What about 0.5 PPR for WR and TE only leagues?

It is my belief that in a non-PPR DYNASTY league I focus the top of my draft on the players who:a) most likely to score TDsb) touch the ball the mostc) yardage potentiald) "best" playerAs this as my guide my non-PPR board looks like this (please note likely to change between now and my non-PPR dynasty league draft in August)1) Moreno2) Wells3) D Brown4-7 some combination of:Greene, McCoy, Stafford and SanchezI would draft Crabtree 8th in a non-PPR league. I think Crabtree is the best WR in this class, but in a non-PPR scoring the delta between Crabtree and other rookies actually becomes the reverse of that in PPR leagues (I would take Crabtree top 3 in PPR rookie draft). Furthermore, it is my belief that in a non-PPR league there is a large pool of WRs in "Free Agency" that could be gotten in later rounds that will have comparable production to a player like Crabtree. For the past 3 years we've only had 1 rookie WR crack the top 10 in scoring from rookies in their class, so my preference is to stockpile RB/QB in these type of leagues.If I were in the R1.2 or R1.3 in a non-PPR draft I would try to trade down to a team that wanted Crabtree and get a player I have higher on my board and get another rookie 1 for the next season.
What about 0.5 PPR for WR and TE only leagues?
Great question. In this type of league I would put Crabtree in my top 4 without question, and may go as high as 1 depending on how the RB situations develop.

Yikes, are people really so far removed from non-PPR leagues that they've forgotten that WRs still hold a lot of value there?

Crabtree is absolutely still a top 4 pick in a non-PPR draft. Where in the top 4 you take him (probably #3 or #4) is up to you, but passing on him for rookie quarterbacks? That's just crazy talk.

Yikes, are people really so far removed from non-PPR leagues that they've forgotten that WRs still hold a lot of value there?

Crabtree is absolutely still a top 4 pick in a non-PPR draft. Where in the top 4 you take him (probably #3 or #4) is up to you, but passing on him for rookie quarterbacks? That's just crazy talk.
I'm guessing those who would do this are in the minority.

Yikes, are people really so far removed from non-PPR leagues that they've forgotten that WRs still hold a lot of value there?Crabtree is absolutely still a top 4 pick in a non-PPR draft. Where in the top 4 you take him (probably #3 or #4) is up to you, but passing on him for rookie quarterbacks? That's just crazy talk.
:nerd: I have been in both types of leagues for years and I've seen a recent trend that would suggest too many overestimate the differences between ppr and non-ppr.

Yikes, are people really so far removed from non-PPR leagues that they've forgotten that WRs still hold a lot of value there?Crabtree is absolutely still a top 4 pick in a non-PPR draft. Where in the top 4 you take him (probably #3 or #4) is up to you, but passing on him for rookie quarterbacks? That's just crazy talk.
This post is really geared specifically towards a league like mine where rosters sizes are limited, but a reciever like Crabtree really doesn't hold nearly as much value in non-PPR as a RB. In 2002, in my league, Randy Moss was the #5 scoring reciever (106-1347-7), yet that was equivalent to Michael Bennetts scoring and he was the 17th highest scoring RB. I used to call this league the Runningback Rules league. Because he who had the runningbacks, ruled.EDIT: This season Larry Fitzgerald (96-1431-12) was the #1 scoring WR in that league. He finished behind 11 RBs. Anquan Boldin (89-1038-11) was the #5 scoring WR and he finished behind 16 RBs. So you can see, even if Crabtree is as good as Fitz, he's still not nearly as good as hitting a homerun on a RB.My scoring system is pretty standard, 1/10 for yardage and 6pts for a TD.

Users who are viewing this thread