What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Which monthly subscriptions can you not live without? And which do you need to get rid of? (1 Viewer)

massraider

Footballguy
I just cancelled a credit card that was adding an annual fee, and really should have cancelled Peacock after footie season.

My Athletic subscription is a must, I could spend hours on there reading.

Amazon Prime will never be cancelled at this rate.

I stopped subbing to new streaming services. The number of streaming services is getting ridiculous and making costs almost as bad as cable if you want to watch everything. I sub to the popular ones that have many shows I watch and just use CinemaHD to watch the stragglers.

They are starting to piss me off, though. The let Orioles beat writer Dan Connelly go a few weeks ago, who I really liked. They are apparently going more "national" (with more emphasis on the NFL & Big Soccer), which isn't what I really signed up for. Don't get me wrong - I really like some of their national writers - but I expect the micro-regional coverage to get phased out.

They are starting to piss me off, though. The let Orioles beat writer Dan Connelly go a few weeks ago, who I really liked. They are apparently going more "national" (with more emphasis on the NFL & Big Soccer), which isn't what I really signed up for. Don't get me wrong - I really like some of their national writers - but I expect the micro-regional coverage to get phased out.
Sheer amount of Messi ocverage is insane

If we're talking annual, then Costco obviously if that counts. Spotify for monthly or Real Debrid. That would be a tough choice. I could live without Amazon prime.

Could easily bin off Netflix if things get tight. Don't have anything else monthly at this point in time, did have a twelve month trial of the Athletic but they went downhill rapidly and got cancelled, can't say I miss it

Amazon Prime will never be cancelled at this rate.
I wonder if I really need anything I order in 24 hours.

I use this feature all the time. Something I need for a recipe or for a trip or whatever and forget until the day before? You can likely have it delivered even same day.

This aspect of prime is as close to a personal assistant as I'll probably ever have.

I don't know how it's possible to order a 12 pack of fake mustaches and have someone in a shady looking minivan deliver it 4 hours later at 8 pm on a Sunday*, but I love it.

* actual order I have placed.

I'd be close to being okay getting rid of them all.

Amazon Prime is becoming less vital, but there are a couple of products I order for the business that are a good price. Prime does seem to be less of a value than it was a few years ago. And I don't know if it's because they are farming more deliveries out to gig workers, but many packages show up beat all to hell lately.

I mainly keep Prime for the music, which I really don't care about, but the other people on the account do.

I really don't need Netflix. Probably watched it 5 times since the Summer of 2020.
I only keep it because it's a recurring charge on my oldest credit card that I don't otherwise use or want to cancel. And I think a couple of people are still getting away with using my account.

Not sure if you are including YouTube TV, but that one is fairly necessary for football and locals.

Honestly, other than football, I'd be fine with just regular ol' YouTube.

With you on this one, amigo. Finding less and less reasons to keep the annual fee. Bob Kravitz just went scorched earth on them. Not sure I'll continue supporting a site that treats their esteemed writers like that.

Does Spotify count? Because that's the best $10 I spend each month.

REDZONE channel is also a must keep for us.

Disney+ can go. My kids like it I guess.

Does Spotify count? Because that's the best $10 I spend each month.

REDZONE channel is also a must keep for us.

Disney+ can go. My kids like it I guess.
definitely counts.

so does your gym membership, annual membership to whatever, any recurring charges that we all sign up for

LA Times. I’m a hardcore newspaper reader and have been reading the Times since my grandfather got me hooked at the breakfast table. It’s a joke now. They don’t even have box scores in the sports section. Costco and Prime are the absolutes. I go on and off on Sirius XM. Need it for the fantasy channel during football season. Pretty sold on Netflix. The other streaming services I’m debating

With you on this one, amigo. Finding less and less reasons to keep the annual fee. Bob Kravitz just went scorched earth on them. Not sure I'll continue supporting a site that treats their esteemed writers like that.
I saw Kravitz's comments. Yeah, I don't think he'll be invited to The Athletic Summer BBQ Party :lol:

My subscription just renewed for another year, but I'll cancel next year unless something radically changes. It's a shame what the NYT has done.

Sirius XM Radio....NFLN, Fantasy Sports Network and news channels for me and music channels for my wife....I also have the app so I can listen to it while on the computer in a separate browser window or with my phone while out on the trails with my dog, etc....~25/month cost total,

Spotify
Amazon Prime
Cable TV
Netflix *

* I don't pay for Netflix. It is included free as a T-Mobile customer

For Verizon customers (from the Verizon website):
The Disney Bundle offer (a $14.99/month value) is included for no extra charge when you have at least 1 of these mobile phone plans on your account: 5G Get More* or 5G Play More*

Score free Netflix, Apple TV+, and more from your wireless carrier

Personally, I like T-Mobile. They offered the best introductory plan when I joined and have stayed price competitive, particularly when I factored in the ability to eliminate my monthly Netflix charge. YMMV. In addition to getting Netflix for free, T-Mobile also offers free MLB TV. Unfortunately, local games are blacked out (hence the Cable TV subscription for MLB & NHL) so it's not of much use to me.

It's worth it to run the numbers from time-to-time as carriers will often increase their current base's costs as most people just put their bill paying on autopilot. Just make sure you're taking everything into consideration, and don't leave free money on the table!

I have all the streaming services plus Spotify and prefer not to lose anyone. Now I’m not paying for all that, we share it with 2 other couples. I suppose if they firmly cracked down on that type of sharing, I would just cut back. Though that’s easy to say in the summer, a little tougher in the winter when I can’t just go on a hike.

Must haves: Sam's and Amazon Prime
Could do without but nice to have: Netflix, Hulu, AppleTV, Car Wash
Would cancel if not free via some promo: SiriusXM, WalMart+, Paramount+, HBOMax
Should cancel but wife insists: Land line, BarkBox

I also have a coffee subscription, as I have a touch of coffee nerdness to me. Originally a gift to my mom, as she's a pack rat, so I am not gifting anything else I am going to have to sort though after she dies under a pile of TJ Maxx clothes.

Kind of a perfect one, as the price of the coffee isn't out of control, and I get different coffee delivered all the time.

I have a ton of monthlys. Spotify family plan is still a huge bargain and would hate to lose. We buy quite a bit from Amazon so hard to see losing Prime but we don't use a lot of the other benefits. Some video but no music, photo storage, etc. Recently added a Planet Fitness membership for $10 each a month and that's such a great value.

Should maybe think about dropping my $20 Regal Unlimited movie plan because I don't get to the theater much but will probably make more of an effort to go. Also should maybe drop my Apple News+ $11 one that has all the magazines because forget to check it out much.

Let's see if I can remember off the top of my head what we have....

Streaming :YouTube TV, Sunday Ticket, MLB.TV, Prime, Max, Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, Peacock, Paramount+, Apple TV+, and Criterion Channel.

Movies: Regal Unlimited

Reading: Apple News+, Marvel Unlimited, DC Universe Infinite, The Athletic (not a sub but I have a Nook and constantly buy ebooks when on sale). Wife has Audible.

Music & Podcasts: Spotify

Other: Costco, Planet Fitness, Google One (yearly photo storage), Microsoft 365 (yearly office), Art Museum Membership (wife)

Our 14 year old is in club softball and has monthly dues plus weekly pitching and hitting instructors.

Starting our most expensive membership soon as our oldest is starting college in August.

Probably forgetting some things.

Last edited:
Evaluating my off-site cloud backup. With so much stored on clouds... do I really need to back up my personal PC anymore? I haven't yet gotten off the free tier of Dropbox, but it's close to full. Once I'm there, time to spit or get off the pot I guess.

Must have:
YouTube Premium for ad-free YouTube and music services
Gym
Costco

Everything else I could go without. Usually rotate streaming services when they're on discount. Will probably add YouTube TV during football season.

For the ones that have mentioned Spotify. What are the best perks of a premium (other than no commercials of course). It seems that is about the only thing a premium gets you, which I know commercials are annoying and it seems like it is the same commercials over and over. How is the podcast portion? I listen to a lot of podcasts (mainly sports) and use the pocket cast app. Can you import your own podcasts into spotify?

Sirius XM Radio....NFLN, Fantasy Sports Network and news channels for me and music channels for my wife....I also have the app so I can listen to it while on the computer in a separate browser window or with my phone while out on the trails with my dog, etc....~25/month cost total,

I was in that category, I like fantasy channel on SiriusXM, however I have started to listen to podcasts instead and the fantasy information is much more relevant.

For example my brother was complaining that they have only been talking about running back contracts on SiriusXM. Where as this week on "cbs fantasy football today podcast" they completely ignored that subject and had an hour long episode devoted to each position's tier groupings.

Plus, the podcasts are free and less commercials.

I have not had Siriusxm for last 6 months and not only do I not miss it, I would no longer use it if it was free.

For music, I use Pandora. I just press a single button in my truck and say, "Pandora play this band".

Although you need a car with android/apple auto to take advantage of the ease of use of podcasts/Pandora in the vehicle.

Last edited:
Prime (includes music)
Costco
Planet Fitness
The streaming service that aligns with the current sport season- right now, directstream (baseball)

For the ones that have mentioned Spotify. What are the best perks of a premium (other than no commercials of course). It seems that is about the only thing a premium gets you, which I know commercials are annoying and it seems like it is the same commercials over and over. How is the podcast portion? I listen to a lot of podcasts (mainly sports) and use the pocket cast app. Can you import your own podcasts into spotify?
Are there many podcasts not available on Spotify? I know there's some. Feels like Apple and Spotify have bigger selection than anyone. I could be wrong.

I have premium, also allows downloads of 3,000 songs-ish. Might not be needed by some, but if you gonna be in a plane or road trip, I always download what I want, music and podcasts.

I use it every day, and I didn't even realize there's commercials on free. Oh no no no, I'm not having commercials in my playlists. That makes it worth it right there

Love: Washington Post (print + digital — currently in my backyard with the paper), HBO Max, Amazon Prime
Pretty good: Apple Music, Apple TV
Could cut: The Economist, Netflix, Costco
Should cut: Paramount+, Disney+ (these were mostly for son, but he mostly just watches YouTube now)

Just signed up for a 30 day trial for Spotify to catch up on the Middle Aged Dummies playlists while in car much of next week.

Canceled audible saved $14/mo. Going to use the library for free going forward.

Canceled YouTubeTV saves $80/mo. Will look for a deal/rest scribe when football kicks off.

Still have Netflix, Disney and prime cause kids.

If you threaten to unsubscribe you can get that monthly fee down significantly. I did this about 6 months ago over chat and they lowered me from the $25 full blown plan to the same full blown plan at $8 a month instead for a year.

Only reason I didn’t call sooner was if you have an AMEX platinum card, they will cover $20 in streaming fees for certain streamers of which XM is one of them. So i was paying like $5 a month for a while (25-20 credit) but now i get that $8 credited back every month and essentially pay nothing.

Only reason I didn’t call sooner was if you have an AMEX platinum card, they will cover $20 in streaming fees for certain streamers of which XM is one of them
Was just looking at my Platinum offers, $25 off HBO MAX, so 75 for the year.

We have wayyy too many subscriptions that we pay for.

With our cable, we pretty much have every movie channel but Cinemax. We get Peacock and Max for free under our plan.

We pay for Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu+, Disney, ESPN, Walmart+ (which gets us Paramount+ for free), Redzone.

We also have for some reason both Sams and Cosco memberships--one of these needs to go.

We have Spotify and Apple Music--our 18 year old daughter prefers one and the our 23 year old prefers the other. My wife and I told them they need to start paying for their own starting this month.

With our cable, we pretty much have every movie channel but Cinemax. We get Peacock and Max for free under our plan.

We pay for Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu+, Disney, ESPN, Walmart+ (which gets us Paramount+ for free), Redzone.

We also have for some reason both Sams and Cosco memberships--one of these needs to go.

We have Spotify and Apple Music--our 18 year old daughter prefers one and the our 23 year old prefers the other. My wife and I told them they need to start paying for their own starting this month.
You ever totaled it up?

Another benefit of Amazon Prime I only realized earlier this year is that you get early access or ad-free access to certain podcasts. Realized this was some overlap with Wondery+ that I was already paying for.

Only reason I didn’t call sooner was if you have an AMEX platinum card, they will cover $20 in streaming fees for certain streamers of which XM is one of them
Was just looking at my Platinum offers, $25 off HBO MAX, so 75 for the year.

I am about to renew and use that one too. Supposedly there is also a 10% off streaming services Amex offer out there that would stack but haven’t seen it come up on mine yet.

You ever totaled it up?
Yeah, my wife reminds me every month how much we are spending on all this.:mellow: It is pretty close to $600.00 a month, but that doesn't include the yearly one time cost of Cosco and Sams.

Our Xfinity bill (which we have their home security also) is the biggest part of it and is $380 most months and sometimes much higher depending on how many PPV purchases we have. Xfinity is pretty much the only game in town when it comes to high speed internet.

Unfortunately I am going to add to this as I am looking for a sports card database software subscription service (like Beckett) . I have to get my collection under control somehow.

If you threaten to unsubscribe you can get that monthly fee down significantly. I did this about 6 months ago over chat and they lowered me from the $25 full blown plan to the same full blown plan at $8 a month instead for a year.

Only reason I didn’t call sooner was if you have an AMEX platinum card, they will cover $20 in streaming fees for certain streamers of which XM is one of them. So i was paying like $5 a month for a while (25-20 credit) but now i get that $8 credited back every month and essentially pay nothing.
Ditto for me. I refuse to pay the 25, so I cancel just before my year is up and pay 7 or 8 per month

Actually the $25 is for Sirius for 2 vehicles. I'll look into getting the better ($8 per month each) discount when I renew in September.

Yeah, my wife reminds me every month how much we are spending on all this.:mellow: It is pretty close to $600.00 a month, but that doesn't include the yearly one time cost of Cosco and Sams.
I've seen those ads for the app/service that helps cancel subscriptions and services that have accumulated and may not be wanted anymore. I've never understood the need. Until now.

You ever totaled it up?

Our Xfinity bill (which we have their home security also) is the biggest part of it and is $380 most months and sometimes much higher depending on how many PPV purchases we have. Xfinity is pretty much the only game in town when it comes to high speed internet.

Unfortunately I am going to add to this as I am looking for a sports card database software subscription service (like Beckett) . I have to get my collection under control somehow.
I think PPV purchases should be a category for "what is normal". I have never made a PPV purchase.

I've seen those ads for the app/service that helps cancel subscriptions and services that have accumulated and may not be wanted anymore. I've never understood the need. Until now.

Be very wary of those, from what I have heard many of them are just disguised as “let us save you money!” When the trade off is they want to collect as much of your private financial data about you as they can.

Must have: Spotify and YouTube Premium

Everything else I could probably do without. I tend to cycle streaming services for a month at a time, but those two always stay on.

Users who are viewing this thread