What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Which QB-DL draft combo for the Rams would be better? (1 Viewer)

You make the call.

• QB S. Bradford @ #1 and 4th or 5th best DL @#33

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DL N. Suh @ #1 and C. McCoy @ #33

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Lord of the Rings

Footballguy
Almost seems a forgone conclusion that the Rams will go with Bradford at #1. However, just reading a few rumblings about their possible interest in McCoy. Could just be smoke. But when I started to think about it, I wondered A) What's the difference between Bradford and McCoy, B) What's the difference between Suh and the 4th or 5th best remaining DL (assuming Suh, McCoy, Williams are gone by pick #33), C) Where's the greater drop off... Bradford to McCoy or Suh to Price, Odrick, Houston, etc. D) Do these differences in value compare enough to warrant rethinking the "Gotta take Bradford first" strategy. Additionally, the salary that they'll have to pay Bradford will be vastly greater than they'd have to pay Suh.

Anyway, given these 2 options, you be the Rams GM. What would you do?

I thought the same thing about taking the Top DL & QB later... as a better long term plan for StL.

They need so many holes filled, this gives them the best start IMO.

Maybe they should lay off drafting a DT once in a while.
I agree for the most part. I'm just assuming however that they'd go DL with their #1 pick if it wasn't Bradford. It is a position of need, but I suppose if they took Bradford, they could go some other direction @ #33 other than DL and that would probably be better (smarter) in the long run.

Maybe they should lay off drafting a DT once in a while.
I agree for the most part. I'm just assuming however that they'd go DL with their #1 pick if it wasn't Bradford. It is a position of need, but I suppose if they took Bradford, they could go some other direction @ #33 other than DL and that would probably be better (smarter) in the long run.
Gotcha. I think they should go Bradford/BPA.

Another thought...

From a nationwide PR perspective, I think the Rams are in a Win-Win situation with the #1 pick. If they go Bradford or Suh @ #1, nobody will accuse them of reaching, since both players are for the most part considered to be the best at their position. I personally think that Suh is more of a sure thing-can't miss pick over Bradford. However, I think most Rams fans would be just fine with Bradford. Some might be skeptical of Suh, only because they've spent high picks on DL in the past and haven't seen the dividends.

From a local PR perspective, this also works out well for the Rams as they try and generate excitement and rebuild their fan base. All three players: Bradford, Suh, and McCoy are Big 12 players. A lot of Rams fans also follow Missouri football and the Big 12, in general. In the first option they get Bradford from Oklahoma, whom they're familiar enough with, but in the second option they get 2 prized Big 12 players (albeit from your hated rivals NE and TX). This could sell more tickets, or it could backfire since there might be some residual angry from Tiger fans.

Bradford-Price would be a great start IMO.
I agree and it would look much better on the poll most people are going to pick a name over something that says 4th ro 5th best. I picked Bradford because I think you need a top flight Qb to rebuild and I think Bradford is going to be that type. I think McCoy has a chance to be good but he isn't Bradford and as good as Suh is a DT just doesn't change the game the way a QB can.

Of these choices, Suh/McCoy, easily.

You don't need a top-flight QB to rebuild. Look at the recent Jets. They built through the trenches. Sanchez wasn't the reason that team went deep in the playoffs.

I'm not very big on the prospects of the QB's in this class outside of Bradford. Give me Bradford and whatever comes with him in the 2nd. This is a QB league and you need a good one, I think Bradford has some Pro Bowls in his future.

I voted Suh and McCoy but I really don't know these players or the fourth or fifth best DT well enough to make a good judgement.

Personally, I would like to see them trade for Vick for the time being while they develop a second tier rookie QB.

But, if Bradford is an elite QB then he is worth it. No matter how good Suh is, if Bradford is an elite, franchise type QB he is the player you take.

Just to add, St. Louis has some leverage at the moment negotiating with Bradford. Seems the natural course of events would be for Bradford to sign a reasonable contract prior to the draft (He'll still be rich, just maybe not as rich). Otherwise from what salary slot is Bradford negotiating if the Rams pass? ... I'm sure this has been mentioned elsewhere many times. Must be fun times for the Rams front office.

Lord of the Rings said:
Another thought...

From a nationwide PR perspective, I think the Rams are in a Win-Win situation with the #1 pick. If they go Bradford or Suh @ #1, nobody will accuse them of reaching, since both players are for the most part considered to be the best at their position. I personally think that Suh is more of a sure thing-can't miss pick over Bradford. However, I think most Rams fans would be just fine with Bradford. Some might be skeptical of Suh, only because they've spent high picks on DL in the past and haven't seen the dividends.

From a local PR perspective, this also works out well for the Rams as they try and generate excitement and rebuild their fan base. All three players: Bradford, Suh, and McCoy are Big 12 players. A lot of Rams fans also follow Missouri football and the Big 12, in general. In the first option they get Bradford from Oklahoma, whom they're familiar enough with, but in the second option they get 2 prized Big 12 players (albeit from your hated rivals NE and TX). This could sell more tickets, or it could backfire since there might be some residual angry from Tiger fans.
Do you really consider Texas to be a hated rival of Missouri? Seems to me the "hated rivals" are Kansas and Nebraska, maybe Iowa State and Kansas State, but from what I experienced and my own feeling as a Big XII North guy, I never considered Texas a true rival - maybe a little jealous of their football team but not a true rival.I agree with your overall point though.

Just to add, St. Louis has some leverage at the moment negotiating with Bradford. Seems the natural course of events would be for Bradford to sign a reasonable contract prior to the draft (He'll still be rich, just maybe not as rich). Otherwise from what salary slot is Bradford negotiating if the Rams pass? ... I'm sure this has been mentioned elsewhere many times. Must be fun times for the Rams front office.
IMO, Buffalo and Cleveland would be battling to trade to pick 1.03 or 4, maybe even get the Lions involved if that's what it took to guarantee Bradford. In any event, he won't fall out of the top 10 - less $ than 1.01 for sure.

I don't think you can assume that McCoy will be there at #33. Hell of a risk given that you have exactly zero NFL-quality QBs on the roster today.

GordonGekko said:
The Rams are obligated, per due diligence, to posture as long as possible about the uncertainty of the first overall pick. The odds of someone wanting to trade for it are low, but the odds are there anyway. The Rams have nothing to gain if they do not posture and just say who they want to take. Bradford brings several elements outside of his ability/production as a player. He offers hope for the franchise ( Much in the way Matt Ryan did for the wayward Falcons) Bradford can buy Devaney and Spags a couple of years to develop. Taking Suh might not give them those few years. Again, people should look at the Cam Cameron situation and take serious note. People criticize the 49ers for taking Alex Smith and Raiders for taking Doughboy Russell, except Cam Cameron actually took the player he thought was the best available impact draftee. That took guts. And maybe it cost him a year as a head coach ( If he took Brady Quinn, he could sell hope as a consolation prize, that the kid needed a few years to get his legs under him, without a sense of hope at QB, he was dead in the water as a head coach) I'm not saying it's the only reason he got canned, but I think it made a difference. Look at Josh McDaniel. What made him a hot coaching candidate? That he served under a Super Bowl winner with Angry Bill? That he helped to helm one of the most prolific offenses in NFL history? Or was it that he did more than just make something out of something with Brady ( which was expected, which was the baseline demand on him) and gave the appearance that he helped to make something out of nothing ( Matt Cassell, career backup, 7th rounder, didn't start since high school)? What he did with Brady got McDaniel exposure, what he did with Cassell got him respect. You are more likely to take BPA or the best long term prospect if you have a stable franchise, a hands off owner, a good relationship between GM and coach, a system in place, a philosophy of how to run a franchise and win, a long term plan at work. The reason teams get the first pick in the first place is that they probably don't have these things, so what makes you think they will do any better making the right selection for the first pick? As for incremental differences in elite talent, something to consider is the NFL only has 16 games a season. While MLB and the NBA can sort of average things out across the long haul in terms of talent and performance, the NFL does not have that luxury. Games are decided by inches and seconds and one or two plays. The Patriots lost Tom Brady for a year ( arguably lost a full year plus time in the second year to get his groove back) based on one play. Baseball and basketball do not sustain injuries in the same manner, also their players have more time to heal during a season. Colt McCoy might be 1 second slower and throws the ball 10 percent weaker and is worth 200 less yards a season, that's a lot in the NFL. Taking Bradford is as much an internal political decision as it is a talent one. This is why veteran coaches with a ring can demand so much money, they can bring instant credibility to handle a franchise as they see fit without full regard to politics or perception. In the NFL, democracy is wasteful, dictatorship efficient.
:lmao: Good post that explains the politics of picking. It seems like politics and public relations shouldn't play a factor, but when you consider that a new HC has only one or two years to secure his job and get the team in the playoffs if he wants to keep his job, then you realize that it must be a factor. And I think you are right that having a young, highly touted QB to "develop" buys you an extra year because everyone knows you will be bad that first year and if the young QB shows improvement the second year it isn't hard for fans and the Owner to imagine that the QB and team will take the next step in year 3.

I don't think you can assume that McCoy will be there at #33. Hell of a risk given that you have exactly zero NFL-quality QBs on the roster today.
Except Jason Campbell, Vick, and Bulger are all available as stop gap QBs for very little.

I think people get caught up thinking that a prospect being X amount better literally means the player will be X amount better. That's not how it works. A big part of player 1 being X amount better than player 2 is not only player 1 being that much better, but also player 1 being that much less likely to be a worthless piece of waste in 2 years.

It's like people say oh, this guy is only 80% as good of a prospect as this other guy so it means instead of 3000/30 he'll put up 2400/24. That's not the only part of the equation. It also means he'll be that much more likely to put up to be a guy that is never good enough to play.

Anyway, a big problem with the Rams taking another D-lineman in here is that they've already used a couple recent first round picks (and big contracts) on defensive linemen and still don't have a great line. If they take another one here they'll end up having basically devoted the last 4 years of the NFL draft, and the majority of their salary, to a position that will still likely not be among the league's best.

The defensive line is not what's holding this team back, nor is it what is going to turn them around.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread