What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who is the #8 best NBA player of all-time? (1 Viewer)

Who is #8 (first to25 wins)

• Shaquille O'Neal

Votes: 25 29.8%
  • Kobe Bryant

Votes: 12 14.3%
  • Oscar Robertson

Votes: 12 14.3%
  • Tim Duncan

Votes: 20 23.8%
  • Hakeem Olajuwon

Votes: 9 10.7%
  • Jerry West

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Kevin Durant

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stephen Curry

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Kevin Garnett

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 2.4%

• Total voters

Frostillicus

Footballguy
1. Michael Jordan (71%)
2. Lebron james (85%).
3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (34%).
4. Wilt Chamberlain (31%).
5. Magic Johnson (33%).
6. Larry Bird (44%).
7. Bill Russell (67%).
8. ???????????? (first to 25 votes wins)

Shaq vs Duncan is a tough one for me.

Shaq was more dominant on offense, Duncan was a better defender. Shaq had better stats, but Duncan had more accolades. Shaq had a higher peak, but Duncan was great for longer.

It comes down to the Championships for me. They both won 3 Finals MVPs, but Shaq had Kobe for his, while Duncan had an aging Robinson, Parker and Ginobili as his best running mates, none of whom were near Kobe's level. And also, Duncan has 5 rings to Shaq's 4.

It's close, but I give the edge to Duncan.

Duncan for me. I voted for him for #3 and beyond. Not that I really think he should be #3 just more of that dude is super underrated and a guy I totally want to hang out with.

And also Giannis. Would hang out with him too. And ****ing love this quote from him when asked what he wants to do when he longer plays basketball.

"I want to be like Tim Duncan," Antetokounmpo said. "Where the hell is Tim Duncan? I don't know where Tim Duncan is."

KG > Duncan. Duncan had way better players his whole career. I mean I'll vote Duncan over KG because of how things played out, but if you switch teams KG does more than Duncan did.

Went with Shaq here. He was the only player I feared (as a fan) because literally noting could stop him once he caught the ball inside. Prime Shaq was one of the most physically dominating people to ever play the game. Maybe THE most.

Titles : Duncan
Finals MVP: Tie
MVP: Duncan
All NBA: Duncan
All Defense: Duncan

nevermind i don' want to do this anymore

that was Shaq vs Duncan btw. Obviously duncan has better accolades than KG because he always had much better teams around him.

KG > Duncan. Duncan had way better players his whole career. I mean I'll vote Duncan over KG because of how things played out, but if you switch teams KG does more than Duncan did.

You can play the switch game all day with different players. Put Kobe on nearly any other team and he's Vince Carter, but with worse stats and more losses.

KG has no business being on this list yet. He's great, but every player listed, except maybe Kobe, would be above him ... along with a few others .. Dr. J, Barkley, Malone, and even The Admiral.

that was Shaq vs Duncan btw. Obviously duncan has better accolades than KG because he always had much better teams around him.
Also, Duncan won the head-to-head matchups in almost every stat.

Shaq was a more dominant offense player. Duncan was a much better defender for the bulk of their careers and a better overall player.

This is where it gets really, really hard. I could see very compelling arguments for Duncan, Shaq, Kobe, and Oscar and I can't really criticize anybody for choosing any of these 4. I freaking love Tim Duncan (his WF jersey was the first jersey I ever owned) and if I had to show my kid just one NBA player to model it's Duncan. He also was so good for so long. Oscar's stats are incredible, of course, and he dominated his area for quite awhile. Shaq in his prime may have been the most single-game dominant players we have ever seen aside from Jordan or Wilt.

But, despite the advanced stats arguably not justifying the choice, and I freely admit my analysis is purely subjective (though I don't think I'm influenced by his death), I go Kobe here for his sheer drive to win. I love the stories about him and his work ethic, and if I were playing a pickup game there's no opponent I'd less want to see on the other team than Kobe (besides Jordan, of course). He's also got the titles to support being a top ten ever and he played in a strong era.

I do like the 1 Steph vote :thumbup:

This is the point where you can try to extrapolate the careers of some of these veterans like Steph, Durant and even the Freak and make a case for them.

Steph is easily the 2 best pg ever, best shooter ever, won 4 titles and changed the game. Whether it is good or bad is up to your opinion.

I go Kobe here for his sheer drive to win.
Except for that time in the playoffs where he tried to prove they couldn't win without him and he decided not to shoot because he was pouting about people saying he was shooting too much. He didn't really need to win that time.

This came down to Shaq and Duncan for me. I love both those guys as players. I never saw Oscar so hard to place him although he should be in the discussion here. I went with Shaq because he was unstoppable. He was fouled every time he touched the ball and most of the time it wasn't called (he wasn't innocent in the foul department either). He was probably the hardest player to officiate because of his speed/strength/size and being impossible to guard. Because of that I give him the nod. If he had the drive of Jordan to be the best I think he would have been. He just didn't care about that. He cared about the playoffs and coasted the rest of the time. Doing that he still is a top 10 player of all time. Because of that I gave him the nod. Based on sheer ability and unstoppableness.

This is where it gets really, really hard. I could see very compelling arguments for Duncan, Shaq, Kobe, and Oscar and I can't really criticize anybody for choosing any of these 4.
Except Kobe. Kobe doesn't belong in that tier with those guys.
As the reigning Greatest Sports Draft champion, I beg to differ.

This is where it gets really, really hard. I could see very compelling arguments for Duncan, Shaq, Kobe, and Oscar and I can't really criticize anybody for choosing any of these 4.
Except Kobe. Kobe doesn't belong in that tier with those guys.
As the reigning Greatest Sports Draft champion, I beg to differ.
You were propped up with your horseracing and tennis scores....

Peak Shaq was the most dominant player I've seen in my lifetime, but Duncan's peak was almost as high and he gets bonus points for being the leader of a perennially contending franchise for 15 years. Shaq will be my next vote.

This has been the tightest vote yet, I believe. Shaq took a very early lead, but then Duncan passed him and has been clinging to a 1-2 vote lead for a while now.

KG has no business being on this list yet. He's great, but every player listed, except maybe Kobe, would be above him ... along with a few others .. Dr. J, Barkley, Malone, and even The Admiral.
1. Wrong.
2. I'm adding using the list from The Athletic, so they think you're wrong too.

Props to Frosty for cleverly including Kobe as an option to segregate out the voters who don't know what they are talking about.
Oh come on
:shrug:

Kobe over Shaq is ludicrous
There's a very strong argument for Shaq over Kobe. But the inverse is not "ludicrous."

I recall when I posted my top ten, you called it something similar, then you conceded that you agreed to 9/10 guys so I'm not too sure how serious to take your hyperbole on the issue. :shrug:

Props to Frosty for cleverly including Kobe as an option to segregate out the voters who don't know what they are talking about.
Oh come on

There's a very strong argument for Shaq over Kobe. But the inverse is not "ludicrous."

I recall when I posted my top ten, you called it something similar, then you conceded that you agreed to 9/10 guys so I'm not too sure how serious to take your hyperbole on the issue. :shrug:
Ludicrous. I stand by my hyperbole!

Gotta go Shaq. His 97-98 to 01-02 stretch was ridiculous. Averaged 28/12, led the league in PER and FG% five straight years, won 3 titles.

At his peak you couldn't stop him. It didn't matter if you had a great defensive team, an elite rim protector or a perfect game plan. He was still going to just force his way to the basket and score.

Oh come on

I see no hyperbole.

Love seeing Hakeem making a little run here. Love that guy. Can't put him above Shaq or Duncan, but love seeing the love.

Oh come on

I see no hyperbole.
Say what you want about Bill Simmons, but he's two things: 1) he cares and puts huge into his all-time greatest NBA players rankings; and 2) he hates the Lakers. So, with that in mind, I'd note that even he has Kobe at 9.

Here's his top 15:
1. Michael Jordan — May 11, 2018

2. LeBron James — May 11, 2018

3. Bill Russell — May 11, 2018

4. Kareem Abdul-Jabber

5. Magic Johnson

6. Larry Bird

7. Tim Duncan — Nov. 11, 2019

8. Wilt Chamberlain — Nov. 11, 2019

9. Kobe Bryant

10. Stephen Curry — Jun. 17, 2022

11. Jerry West — Jul. 2, 2021

12. Oscar Robertson

13. Hakeem Olajuwon

14. Shaquille O’Neal — Nov. 11, 2019

15. Moses Malone

ETA: I think he may have moved Durant into 11 recently.

Say what you want about Bill Simmons, but he's two things: 1) he cares and puts huge into his all-time greatest NBA players rankings; and 2) he hates the Lakers.
3. He is a turd
So is Roman Polansky. But, it doesn't mean that he didn't make good movies with a ton of effort put into them.

ETA: My point is that it's certainly not crazy town for somebody to put Kobe in the bottom quarter of a top ten greatest list.

Say what you want about Bill Simmons, but he's two things: 1) he cares and puts huge into his all-time greatest NBA players rankings; and 2) he hates the Lakers.
3. He is a turd
So is Roman Polansky. But, it doesn't mean that he didn't make good movies with a ton of effort put into them.

ETA: My point is that it's certainly not crazy town for somebody to put Kobe in the bottom quarter of a top ten greatest list.
Not crazy. After that top 7, there are a half dozen players who are basically in the same tier.

Users who are viewing this thread