What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who is your "MJD" candidate for 2007? (1 Viewer)

whodeywhodey

Footballguy
In 2006 MJD presented the essence of late round value for those of you who grabbed him. He was a shifty, change of pace, "3rd down" back from a team that liked to run. He also was behind a veteran RB with a proven track record.

The similarities for Leon Washington are eerily similar to me.

He's being drafted at ADP 12.12 right now and presents tremendous value. The Mangenius has said that:

a) he wants to spread Washington out on 3rd downs as a WR

b) he is a proponent of the RBBC

and also Thomas Jones is most efficient when he get about 15 carries per game

The is a fantastic situation for Washington. He can come in and not be the "everydown" guy in NY while getting a lot of chances to get points on the board.

I'm looking to jump on him in the 11th round in most drafts as a RB4 because to me he is by far and away the best home run threat at 12+ rounds into the draft. In PPR he is even more valuable. I expect him to improve his numbers in 2007.

Code:
2006 Stats650 yards rushing (4 TDs), 270 yards receiving for almost 1000 total yards
Who is your "MJD" candidate for 2007?

Last edited by a moderator:
Good choice. I like Leon a lot this year too. I see some WR's that could possibly come out of nowhere - like Mike Walker and James Jones - but barring injury, don't see another RB pulling off an MJD. Kolby Smith could be really good if LJ goes down. And I like Lorenzo Booker too, but only in case of inj.

What do you mean by "this year's MJD"? You don't really believe Leon will crack the top 15, do you? Or are you simply interested in finding a rb that will significantly outperform their draft position?

there won't be one. that kind of diamond in the rough doesn't come along too frequently...

OK my serious prediction is Tatum Bell.

He is fast and Martz loves that, he is being discarded b/c of Kevin Jones coming back from his injury and defenses have to respect RW/CJ.

I kind of like Michael Bennett.

Assuming the Chiefs sign LJ to a big deal, I think they almost have to scale back his carries. Let the big man pound away for three quarters and then have the waterbug come in for some big gains against the tired defense. And of course, the chance for an LJ injury is looming out there.

The Mangenius has said that:a) he wants to limit Thomas Jones' carries to about 15 per game
Did he really say that? I missed that. Wow. Anyways, good outside the box thinking with Leon Washington. I'll go with Lendale White. The thinking is that he grabs hold of the starting job in Tennessee.

OK my serious prediction is Tatum Bell.He is fast and Martz loves that, he is being discarded b/c of Kevin Jones coming back from his injury and defenses have to respect RW/CJ.
:confused: He's obviously no Marshall Faulk, but he could put up some very nice #s in the Martz attack with K Jones possibly missing part/most/all?? of the season...

What do you mean by "this year's MJD"? You don't really believe Leon will crack the top 15, do you? Or are you simply interested in finding a rb that will significantly outperform their draft position?
The latter.
Meh, loads of guys will be a value pick but that doesn't mean they'll be a good pick. DeShaun Foster comes to mind. He is often getting drafted nearly ten rounds after the young DeAngelo yet DeShaun is still starting. It boggles the mind.

Did he really say that? I missed that. Wow.
Thanks for the compliment - I'm new here having recently moved from another competitive website. Out of the box thinking is my specialty!Here's the report for those of you that missed it about Jones a while back.
Jets | Jones and Washington to share timeWed, 14 Mar 2007 21:49:32 -0700Rich Cimini, of the New York Daily News, reporting for the Sporting News, reports New York Jets head coach Eric Mangini is unlikely to turn the backfield into a one-man show. The Jets, who stole RB Thomas Jones from the Chicago Bears, plan to use Jones with second-year RB Leon Washington. Statistics show that Jones is more effective when he carries the ball about 15 times per game, not 20 to 25.

DeShaun Foster comes to mind. He is often getting drafted nearly ten rounds after the young DeAngelo yet DeShaun is still starting. It boggles the mind.
10 rounds?!? I want in your leagues! No way he makes it past the 9th now. His ADP is the 9th round even before the news leaked that he was starting.

Thanks for the compliment - I'm new here having recently moved from another competitive website. Out of the box thinking is my specialty!Here's the report for those of you that missed it about Jones a while back.
Jets | Jones and Washington to share timeWed, 14 Mar 2007 21:49:32 -0700Rich Cimini, of the New York Daily News, reporting for the Sporting News, reports New York Jets head coach Eric Mangini is unlikely to turn the backfield into a one-man show. The Jets, who stole RB Thomas Jones from the Chicago Bears, plan to use Jones with second-year RB Leon Washington. Statistics show that Jones is more effective when he carries the ball about 15 times per game, not 20 to 25.
whodey,whodey, whodey -- you made quite a leap from that clip to your statement.; pls highlight where Mangini is associated with the max 15 carries comment. :thumbup:

I agree with you. I remember reading that clip a few weeks back and only after I re-searched for it did I realize it was from the beat writer, not Mangini. I'll edit the first post.

whodey,whodey, whodey -- you made quite a leap from that clip to your statement.; pls highlight where Mangini is associated with the max 15 carries comment. ;)
:thumbup: :thumbup:

I agree with you. I remember reading that clip a few weeks back and only after I re-searched for it did I realize it was from the beat writer, not Mangini. I'll edit the first post.
Well, okay then. And welcome to the board. :mellow:Cimini is just mentioning historical fact -- vs suggesting that will happen in '07. STill, I do think Leon is a nice value pick; I can't imagine he carries that significant a load as long as Thomas Jones truly is day-to-day as Mangini says. (WFAN interview from trainig camp yesterday -- also the source for my post above about not ruling out Week 2 play)

DeShaun Foster comes to mind. He is often getting drafted nearly ten rounds after the young DeAngelo yet DeShaun is still starting. It boggles the mind.
10 rounds?!? I want in your leagues! No way he makes it past the 9th now. His ADP is the 9th round even before the news leaked that he was starting.
He's always been the starter. Nothing new has leaked. It's like saying there are whispers coming out of New England that Tom Brady will be starting ahead of Cassell.I don't think DeShaun is anything special but he's been the starter for the past two years.

Two deeper sleepers:

Mike Bell Denver, of course EVERYONE is in love with Henry, but here's the case for Bell:

Chip on his shoulder with the signing of Henry, first pre-season game Bell averaged 5.1 yards per rush

If Henry starts fumbling (and he has some in the past) Bell will get his shot

If Henry gets hurt, Bell moves up

Finally, you got Shanny at coach he has burned more then one FF team with changing RB's, it's his system not the RB's that are great in Shanny's mind. I know about the money Denver paid Henry etc., but Shanny will do what he wants, he's proved that in the past.

Leonard RAMS

If Ram defense is improved as people claim, Leonard will get touches when the Rams are up large in games.

The kid maybe the most talented RB of 2007 draft, he can break loose any time, a few touches could equal big plays.

The Rams will give Jackson some plays off each game, and I think this kid does not have to share those touches with anyone else, 10 a game might be enough for Leonard to show his stuff. Any injury to jackson and Leonard is top 12 RB.

Brandon Jackson, GB

He's generally sliding down into the double digit rounds of the draft, and I think he'll out perform that.

BJ is a lot better than he's show thus far, but he's looked horrible in pass protection. He'll really need to shore up that part of his game if he's going to take it to the next level.

He's in a solid RBBC situation, the Pack has been lining him up in the slot at times during pre-season (telling me that they trust him as a receiver), and he's more of a 'punch it in from the one' goal line type back than Morency is.

I trust him as my RB4.

Brandon Jackson, GBHe's generally sliding down into the double digit rounds of the draft, and I think he'll out perform that.BJ is a lot better than he's show thus far, but he's looked horrible in pass protection. He'll really need to shore up that part of his game if he's going to take it to the next level.He's in a solid RBBC situation, the Pack has been lining him up in the slot at times during pre-season (telling me that they trust him as a receiver), and he's more of a 'punch it in from the one' goal line type back than Morency is.I trust him as my RB4.
His blocking has been terrible. Then again a lot of rookies can't block at first. I'll stay tuned on that one.

whodey,whodey, whodey -- you made quite a leap from that clip to your statement.; pls highlight where Mangini is associated with the max 15 carries comment. :lmao:
And the fact that the article is from March 14th...

None even close to MJD status. The situation was that MJD was seriously underrated as a player last year, and he remains so this year. He was an absolute stud at UCLA, and Bush got all the hype.

im going waaaaay out on a limb and saying K Darby of the Bucs. He tore it up vs the Pats in week one preseason. Caddy MAY be fragile, so darby could get extensive playing time if he earns the #2 rb slot.

I think Washington could be a huge surprise this year.

In Tennessee, I think Brown wins it early, and one of the younger guys takes it later in the season. The end of years stats probably won't be even what you would call good for one individual of the Titans backfield.

Users who are viewing this thread