What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who will make it to and who will win the Superbowl? (1 Viewer)

NFC

• Total voters
I didn't expect them to be a front-runner or anything, but the lack of votes for New Orleans is surprising to me. A lot of people seem to be more comfortable than I am betting against Drew Brees in the playoffs...
Brees is 0-3 on the road in the playoffs. Betting on him seems like a losing one to me. Especially given that Philly is a particularly harsh environment.
Pretty sure he's also the highest-rated postseason passer in history. In those three road losses, he passed for an average of 400 yards and nearly 3 TDs. He's never had a defense this good before. IIRC, no team in the league has more road wins over the last few years than the Saints.

Again, I didn't expect the Saints to be favorites or anything, but it seems odd to me that the NFC team with the fewest votes is also the team with a top-10 defense and arguably one of the 10 greatest quarterbacks of all time. Road or home, that seems like a pretty tough combination to top.

I didn't expect them to be a front-runner or anything, but the lack of votes for New Orleans is surprising to me. A lot of people seem to be more comfortable than I am betting against Drew Brees in the playoffs...
Brees is 0-3 on the road in the playoffs. Betting on him seems like a losing one to me. Especially given that Philly is a particularly harsh environment.
Pretty sure he's also the highest-rated postseason passer in history. In those three road losses, he passed for an average of 400 yards and nearly 3 TDs. He's never had a defense this good before. IIRC, no team in the league has more road wins over the last few years than the Saints.

Again, I didn't expect the Saints to be favorites or anything, but it seems odd to me that the NFC team with the fewest votes is also the team with a top-10 defense and arguably one of the 10 greatest quarterbacks of all time. Road or home, that seems like a pretty tough combination to top.
Brees per game numbers in the playoffs;Home games - 31 of 44, 70.9%, 351 yds, 2.8 TDs, 0.2 Ints

Away games - 35 of 57, 61.6%, 407 yds, 2.6 TDs, 1 Ints

He's been a compiler of yds through massive amounts of attempts in the road games. The drop in efficiency is massive though.

Brees per game numbers in the playoffs;Home games - 31 of 44, 70.9%, 351 yds, 2.8 TDs, 0.2 Ints

He's been a compiler of yds through massive amounts of attempts in the road games. The drop in efficiency is massive though.
I'm a little bit surprised that the Chiefs have 1 less vote than the Saints. - Don't they get some key defensive guys back, like Houston?

I like the Saints' chances in Philly. One reason is "they're due." Yeah, that's a platitude with no support but then aside from Seattle their road losses have been close and they've had some truly bad luck. Every break has bounced the other way. Weather may be coldish, not windy/snowy/icy/rainy though. They have had the 3rd toughest road schedule in the NFC, this seems like the whole season has been nothing but tough road games, all must win versus teams with tough d-lines, great runs games, TO-minded, outdoor turf, weather issues.

Yes, I know the PHI defense has gotten quite good, but of all the road defenses the Saints have seen this might be the least imposing, or the most vulnerable.

About Brees' road playoff stats, let's keep in mind that he's had three games: one was in Chicago against a league leading defense, one was in Seattle with key players like Graham, literally the entire RB corps and maybe a guard like Evans and a WR out (IIRC), the other was in SF and they still produced (with Al Smith) the greatest end of game shootout of any playoff game ever.

I think this has the makings of a shootout, maybe 36-30 Saints. Homer glasses on here but I think I'm being fair (total respect to the Eagles, I watched them all year). They can do this.

I'd say it's the prospect of playing in Seattle which is a 100% given should they win in PHI, which is really blocking more people from voting for them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brees per game numbers in the playoffs;

Home games - 31 of 44, 70.9%, 351 yds, 2.8 TDs, 0.2 Ints

Two of those three road games came against elite, top-3 defensive units (2006 Chicago, 2011 San Francisco). And that "lower efficiency" was still over 7 yards per attempt, a nearly 3:1 TD:INT ratio, and a QB rating over 90 (91.5, to be exact).

Think about that for a second. Let that sink in. We took Drew Brees' worst possible sample- road games are typically worse than home games, losses are typically worse than wins, and games against elite defenses are typically worse than games against average defenses, so a player's road losses against elite defenses will typically be his worst games. In Drew Brees' ROAD PLAYOFF LOSSES, he's still a 90+ rated passer. For comparison, in every single postseason game of Joe Montana's career, he's rated 95.6. Tom Brady has played 24 playoff games, and has only topped a 91.5 rating nine times (career postseason rating = 87.4).

Somehow, I don't find "Drew Brees is merely amazing in road losses, compared to unequaled in NFL history in his home wins" to be a very compelling argument as to why betting on him would be a loser...

Two of those three road games came against elite, top-3 defensive units (2006 Chicago, 2011 San Francisco). And that "lower efficiency" was still over 7 yards per attempt, a nearly 3:1 TD:INT ratio, and a QB rating over 90 (91.5, to be exact).

Think about that for a second. Let that sink in. We took Drew Brees' worst possible sample- road games are typically worse than home games, losses are typically worse than wins, and games against elite defenses are typically worse than games against average defenses, so a player's road losses against elite defenses will typically be his worst games. In Drew Brees' ROAD PLAYOFF LOSSES, he's still a 90+ rated passer. For comparison, in every single postseason game of Joe Montana's career, he's rated 95.6. Tom Brady has played 24 playoff games, and has only topped a 91.5 rating nine times (career postseason rating = 87.4).

Somehow, I don't find "Drew Brees is merely amazing in road losses, compared to unequaled in NFL history in his home wins" to be a very compelling argument as to why betting on him would be a loser...
Yeah, of course he played worse against good defensive teams. I didn't take his worst possible samples. I took the only 3 games he's ever played on the road in the playoffs. So they happen to be against a few good defensive teams. That's the nature of the playoffs, good teams typically get in. If NO is going to make it to the Super Bowl they will have to do it on the road vs. either Sea or Car, worse yet both. I'm not saying they can't do. I'm saying it seems like a losing bet to pick them for the Super Bowl. You said you wouldn't bet against Brees in the playoffs. I'm not really sure why. His team will be on the road for at least 2 games and they have never won even one road game in his history of the playoffs. He's played well, I've never said otherwise. He hasn't played nearly as well vs. his home games, though. Personally, I'd be shocked if NO made the SB.

Currently the Saints have the worst road record this year in the playoffs and they have to play the entire way on the road....sorry but ngth.

Currently the Saints have the worst road record this year in the playoffs and they have to play the entire way on the road....sorry but ngth.
Is there a team with a worse home record than the Eagles 4-4?

Yeah, of course he played worse against good defensive teams. I didn't take his worst possible samples. I took the only 3 games he's ever played on the road in the playoffs. So they happen to be against a few good defensive teams. That's the nature of the playoffs, good teams typically get in. If NO is going to make it to the Super Bowl they will have to do it on the road vs. either Sea or Car, worse yet both.I'm not saying they can't do. I'm saying it seems like a losing bet to pick them for the Super Bowl. You said you wouldn't bet against Brees in the playoffs. I'm not really sure why. His team will be on the road for at least 2 games and they have never won even one road game in his history of the playoffs. He's played well, I've never said otherwise. He hasn't played nearly as well vs. his home games, though. Personally, I'd be shocked if NO made the SB.
They could definitely win in Carolina.

Uhm, Seattle.....

Yeah, of course he played worse against good defensive teams. I didn't take his worst possible samples. I took the only 3 games he's ever played on the road in the playoffs. So they happen to be against a few good defensive teams. That's the nature of the playoffs, good teams typically get in. If NO is going to make it to the Super Bowl they will have to do it on the road vs. either Sea or Car, worse yet both.I'm not saying they can't do. I'm saying it seems like a losing bet to pick them for the Super Bowl. You said you wouldn't bet against Brees in the playoffs. I'm not really sure why. His team will be on the road for at least 2 games and they have never won even one road game in his history of the playoffs. He's played well, I've never said otherwise. He hasn't played nearly as well vs. his home games, though. Personally, I'd be shocked if NO made the SB.
Betting on New Orleans is a losing bet because betting on any individual team is a losing bet. If there's any team that's going to outperform expectations, my money's on the team with a top-10 all-time QB backed up by a top-10 defense. That QB might be 0-3 on the road in the playoffs, but he's also probably the best road playoff QB in history by both raw stats and efficiency stats, and if his efficiency drops a lot, that's more a testament to his awesomeness at home than his struggles on the road.

If I were in Las Vegas, I'd be putting money on New Orleans to make the superbowl, money on them to win the superbowl, and money on them in every individual game they played. You can think that's a losing bet. I think that's a winning bet. I think the combination of Drew Brees and Rob Ryan is very much a positive EV combination.

I agree Adam. Brees is not getting nearly enough love here.

I also think the Colts are under-appreciated on the board, but I'm a :homer:

Regarding the Saints, their offensive line play has been worse on the road this year. If that group can improve just a little, Brees and the Saints receiving corps can be productive in Philly and win. Seattle will be a much more difficult road trip should they beat Philly.

Betting on New Orleans is a losing bet because betting on any individual team is a losing bet. If there's any team that's going to outperform expectations, my money's on the team with a top-10 all-time QB backed up by a top-10 defense. That QB might be 0-3 on the road in the playoffs, but he's also probably the best road playoff QB in history by both raw stats and efficiency stats, and if his efficiency drops a lot, that's more a testament to his awesomeness at home than his struggles on the road.

If I were in Las Vegas, I'd be putting money on New Orleans to make the superbowl, money on them to win the superbowl, and money on them in every individual game they played. You can think that's a losing bet. I think that's a winning bet. I think the combination of Drew Brees and Rob Ryan is very much a positive EV combination.
That's great and all. Ironically NO has played 3 playoff teams on the road this year. Their record.... 0-3.

jurb26 said:
Adam Harstad said:
jurb26 said:
Adam Harstad said:
jurb26 said:
Adam Harstad said:
jurb26 said:
Adam Harstad said:

That's great and all. Ironically NO has played 3 playoff teams on the road this year. Their record.... 0-3.
Well one was Seattle (what 24-2 at home, something like that?), one they lost with 5 seconds left (with a lineman getting collared on the way to Brady btw) to a team that's like 37-5 or so at home, and the other they lost with 20 seconds left (and got hit by a monsoon to boot) to a team that went 7-1 at home.

Not like they've been flopping around like a fish outta water yaknow.

I know saintsindome2006, which is why I listed 2 of those teams in a earlier post. :wink:

Adam Harstad said:
jurb26 said:
Adam Harstad said:
jurb26 said:
Adam Harstad said:
jurb26 said:
Adam Harstad said:

0 and 3 isn't the best road playoff QB in history.

Adam Harstad said:
jurb26 said:
Adam Harstad said:
jurb26 said:
Adam Harstad said:
jurb26 said:
Adam Harstad said:

Damn sight better than a QB who's never played a road or home playoff game in his history.

The Saints aren't even favored this week. And the 2 teams with byes both beat NO at home and held Brees to pathetic stats. The odds are stacked against the Saints making it to the Super Bowl this year.

Seattle over Denver by 4 points. Seattle seems like the most complete team. Denver has the most explosive O but that Seattle D is really good.

A lot of talk about Brees...How about the league's best rushing offense vs. the NO 19th ranked rush D? In a cold weather game?
How about the 32nd ranked pass defense (that's last folks) going up against the league's 2nd best passing offense? The weather should be coldish, but not wet.

I agree, I think the game's worth talking about, should be a fun one.

Adam Harstad said:
jurb26 said:
Adam Harstad said:

How did he do last time in Seattle? I'll take your answer off the air Adam.

Adam Harstad said:
jurb26 said:
Adam Harstad said:
jurb26 said:
Adam Harstad said:
jurb26 said:
Adam Harstad said:

Quarterbacks can only control their own performance, and Drew Brees' performance in road playoff games has been scintillating. It's not his fault that he can throw for 400 yards, 2 TDs, and 0 INTs and still lose, while other QBs can complete 40% of their passes, throw for under 50 yards and an INT, and still win.

A lot of talk about Brees...How about the league's best rushing offense vs. the NO 19th ranked rush D? In a cold weather game?
How about the 32nd ranked pass defense (that's last folks) going up against the league's 2nd best passing offense? The weather should be coldish, but not wet.

True, but they did OK recently against Detroit (3) and Chicago (5).

Adam Harstad said:
jurb26 said:
Adam Harstad said:

How did Baltimore do against Denver in the regular season last year?

pizzatyme said:
I agree Adam. Brees is not getting nearly enough love here.

Can't get on board with you regarding the Colts. Sorry. They've been a below-average team since their bye (or since the Reggie Wayne injury, if you'd rather). I think they're the worst team in the playoffs, honestly...

pizzatyme said:
I agree Adam. Brees is not getting nearly

enough love here.

Can't get on board with you regarding the Colts. Sorry. They've been a below-average team since their bye (or since the Reggie Wayne injury, if

you'd rather). I think they're the worst team in the playoffs, honestly...
That's why they play the games. ;)

Yeah, the Snowbowl vs DET was a bit of an anomaly and Cutler coming off his injury, then you've got Cassel going nuts plus Palmer with 3 TDs.

I know they're capable of good defense, especially in the 2nd half of the year, they can get turnovers too. LBers who can play coverage and DT's who can push up the middle are key vs the Saints, I don't know how they are on those points.

Here's one for you: who's covering Jimmy Graham? Witten just did 12/135/0.

But still if we couldn't have Dallas, I'll take this matchup.

Adam Harstad said:
jurb26 said:
Adam Harstad said:

How did Baltimore do against Denver in the regular season last year?
You can't answer a question with another question!

Yeah, the Snowbowl vs DET was a bit of an anomaly and Cutler coming off his injury, then you've got Cassel going nuts plus Palmer with 3 TDs.

I know they're capable of good defense, especially in the 2nd half of the year, they can get turnovers too. LBers who can play coverage and DT's who can push up the middle are key vs the Saints.

The Eagles are one of the best at creating turnovers (iirc). Don't the Saints have a tendency to turn it over a bit - particularly on the road?

SaintsInDome2006 said:
ImTheScientist said:
Adam Harstad said:
jurb26 said:
Adam Harstad said:

Have the Saints EVER won a road playoff game?

I know they're capable of good defense, especially in the 2nd half of the year, they can get turnovers too. LBers who can play coverage and DT's who can push up the middle are key vs the Saints.

The Eagles are one of the best at creating turnovers (iirc). Don't the Saints have a tendency to turn it over a bit - particularly on the road?
Yeah, true, teams that do well vs the Saints run the ball well (PHI check x2), get TOs (yes, especially lately), and are good on the d-line and especially up the middle (not sure).

Brees' biggest weakness (or maybe it's Peyton's) is LBers who hang out in space while Brees gets hands in his face straight on.

SaintsInDome2006 said:
ImTheScientist said:
Adam Harstad said:
jurb26 said:
Adam Harstad said:

Nope!

Extremely weak playoff history in general pre-Payton.

So I'm ok with the challenge, I bet they are too.

Now they're also facing a QB and a HC who have never even been in a playoff game either, so again I'll take it vs the other choices.

So we know NO is 0-3 in the playoffs on the road all time. We also know they are 0-3 vs. Playoff teams this year on the road. Anyone know what they are over the entire career of Brees vs. Playoff teams on the road, regular season and postseason combined?

Fade this Bracket:

GB

GB

SF

GB

SEA

CAR

CAR

CAR

PHI

PHI

NO

CIN

IND

IND

KC

IND

DEN

CIN

NE

CIN

CIN

CIN

SD
Complete fade = SEA def. DEN :lol:

So we know NO is 0-3 in the playoffs on the road all time. We also know they are 0-3 vs. Playoff teams this year on the road. Anyone know what they are over the entire career of Brees vs. Playoff teams on the road, regular season and postseason combined?
Just looking at it and figuring by hand, so these numbers might be off, but I've got the following (overall record in parentheses):

2012- 0-3 (7-9)

2011- 2-1 (13-3)

2010- 1-1 (11-5)

2009- 1-0 (13-2)

2008- 0-2 (8-8)

2007- 1-2 (7-9)

2006- 2-0 (10-6)

Assuming my numbers are right, and adding 2013 and his playoff record, that would make Drew Brees and the Saints 7-15 lifetime on the road against playoff teams. No idea how that'd stack up against anyone else, though.

Edit to add: In Brees' three seasons where he was .500 or worse, he was 1-7 against playoff teams in the regular season. In his five seasons where he had a winning record overall, he was 6-5 in the regular season, even including this year's egg. I would say that, when Drew Brees has had a good team around him, he hasn't really struggled to defeat playoff teams in the road.

A reporter mentioned to Kelly that the Saints haven't won a road playoff game. Kelly responded by saying, yeah well Tampa never won a game under 40 degrees before either but they came in and beat the Eagles in the NFCCG a while back. Suffice to say I don't think the Eagles will look at that as a confidence booster - and the fans shouldn't either.

I know they're capable of good defense, especially in the 2nd half of the year, they can get turnovers too. LBers who can play coverage and DT's who can push up the middle are key vs the Saints, I don't know how they are on those points.

If I were chip Kelly I would tell you that the first two numbers mean little. It's the 0 in the td department tat makes a difference

Just looking at it and figuring by hand, so these numbers might be off, but I've got the following (overall record in parentheses):

2012- 0-3 (7-9)

2011- 2-1 (13-3)

2010- 1-1 (11-5)

2009- 1-0 (13-2)

2008- 0-2 (8-8)

2007- 1-2 (7-9)

2006- 2-0 (10-6)

Assuming my numbers are right, and adding 2013 and his playoff record, that would make Drew Brees and the Saints 7-15 lifetime on the road against playoff teams. No idea how that'd stack up against anyone else, though.

Edit to add: In Brees' three seasons where he was .500 or worse, he was 1-7 against playoff teams in the regular season. In his five seasons where he had a winning record overall, he was 6-5 in the regular season, even including this year's egg. I would say that, when Drew Brees has had a good team around him, he hasn't really struggled to defeat playoff teams in the road.
Thanks. That's actually better than I expected. It would he interesting to see how that compares vs. Other teams but would be a ton of work.

If I were chip Kelly I would tell you that the first two numbers mean little. It's the 0 in the td department tat makes a difference
Well Escobar went 1/17/1, so there's that (13/152/1 total DAL TEs).

Seattle over Denver

That is depressing to see Houston on the list of eligible teams last year to see where they are now. Ugh.

Users who are viewing this thread