What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Whole Body Cryotherapy (1 Viewer)

From the reading I’ve done on cryotherapy, it’s clearly not -250 F or anything like that. It’s probably 200 or 250 degrees Kelvin, which would still be a lot colder than a typical ice bath, but a realistic air temperature to withstand for a few minutes.
Are you sure?  I think there may be something to the murder your clients business model.

1) Get people to pay to be really cold.

2) Freeze them until they die.

3) ?

4) PROFIT!!!

:lmao:

I'd love to do this - I mentioned in the thread about how old we feel but I always seem to have some type of nagging injury.  Almost always somewhat associated with inflammation.
Of course.  Inflammation puts pressure on nerves and is the source of pain.  And there is merit to cold temperatures helping to relieve swelling/inflammation, but the temperatures being thrown about with this are pretty insane.

From the reading I’ve done on cryotherapy, it’s clearly not -250 F or anything like that. It’s probably 200 or 250 degrees Kelvin, which would still be a lot colder than a typical ice bath, but a realistic air temperature to withstand for a few minutes.
:no:

Well, the auction item description says -256F.  The company's website claims between -200F and -250F.  That's a pretty big range of possibility, but it is all damn cold.  Snow is probably a little below water's freezing point of 32 F depending on the air temperature.  So this is somewhere between 230-280 degrees colder based on these claims.  Many of these systems apparently use a liquid nitrogen cooling system.  Liquid nitrogen is around -330 F.
Another company claiming the same range

This company claims to only go to -184F...downright toasty

I'm one of those aggravating know-it-all types. At the moment, I don't believe their claims of that low of a temperature. However, I am interested, and I will research further.

Air is a poor conductor of thermal energy, so maybe the cryotherapy devices do manage to achieve an air temperature of negative 200-something Fahrenheit without the human within getting anywhere near that cold. Liquid nitrogen is -321 F, so if they use that and lose ~70 F while getting the air in the chamber down to temperature, that sounds do-able.

EDIT: After more reading, the air temperatures claimed seem to be in the realm of the possible, and I have to concede that they're likely legit at least as the max of a range.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cryotherapy: What Works and What Doesn't

Not too keen on the cryotherapy chamber stuff beyond the already-established effect of cold applied to inflamed tissue. This article was written in 2014, and at the time the author noted:

Is cryotherapy dangerous? No. Although I looked through several databases, I could not find any incidents of harm related to cryosauna, except for minor frostbite issues. Essentially it has no greater risk of injury than an ice bath. Hypothermia is theoretically possible, as well as suffocation if the system malfunctions and introduces too much nitrogen. These things have never happened.
Less than a year after that writing, a Las Vegas cryotherapy practicioner went into the chamber unsupervised and perished when an apparent nitrogen leak displaced the breathable oxygen within. As far as I can ascertain, that is the only death in the U.S. from cryotherapy.

My friend got us s Groupon to try it when we were on a try new things kick. It was cold but felt good. We wore socks on our feet and hands and used our sock covered hands to cover our nips. Our heads stuck up out of the tube. I only did it once. Did feel cool the rest of the day but didn’t loose weight or heal anything. 
That’s hot freezing

Cryotherapy: What Works and What Doesn't

Not too keen on the cryotherapy chamber stuff beyond the already-established effect of cold applied to inflamed tissue. This article was written in 2014, and at the time the author noted:

Less than a year after that writing, a Las Vegas cryotherapy practicioner went into the chamber unsupervised and perished when an apparent nitrogen leak displaced the breathable oxygen within. As far as I can ascertain, that is the only death in the U.S. from cryotherapy.
whoa...most of the chambers I have seen in advertisements and such (never seen one in person) seem to show people's heads sticking up outside the chamber.  It would seem difficult to die this way in such an arrangement.

Last edited by a moderator:
whoa...most of the chambers I have seen in advertisements and such (never seen one in person) seem to show people's heads sticking up outside the chamber.  It would seem difficult to die this way in such an arrangement.
There’s some full body versions

so, wait a second. you can fall in to a lake that's like 45 degrees and be dead in minutes but can hang out in -250 degrees for 3, 4 minutes and just stroll on out? that's the jist of this?

a girl i know does this cryotherapy stuff and posts it to facebook (or used to, it's been a while) but i never heard anything about it being hyper cold like this
It is like sticking your arm in an oven. I can handle 400°F air temp way better than 200° liquid. 

As we age, we can observe many changes in our body and physical form. Besides that, if you encounter health problems, the modifications are more visible. I always thought that the energy and power I had as a kid would never run out. Well, I was wrong. I wanted it all back, but I couldn't do anything. I talked to my friend a lot about this, and she recommended I try whole body cryotherapy. I feel a lot better and fresher now, like a teen again. If you have the opportunity to try it, take it.

Users who are viewing this thread