What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why is nobody talking about Buffalo taking... (1 Viewer)

King of the Jungle

Footballguy
Vernon Davis. You could argue that they have the worst receiving core in the NFL. I think they would be foolish to pass on Davis. Any homer views?

*Of course this is coming from a Detroit fan who loves watching his team draft offensive talent in the 1st round every year :rolleyes:

Well, in my opinion, they have more pressing needs at OL and DL, needs that are getting worse, year by year. Addtionally, they spent a 3rd rounder on a TE last season (Everett), and while he's not in the league of Vernon Davis, I'd be surprised if they burned a day 1 pick on a TE 2 years in a row - though they've surprised me in the past.

I would like to see them take Davis as he would help offset the loss of Moulds. However, the team spent a 3rd round pick on Everett last year and he could still emerge as a viable receiving TE. They also gave Robert Royal a decent chunk of change in free agency which suggests they think pretty highly of him. Given their needs, and his recent pro day performance, I think Winston Justice has to be the early favorite for the Bills selection at #8. But, I really wouldn't mind seeing them take V.Davis, Haloti Ngata, or maybe even Michael Huff. Lots of ways they can go with the #8 pick.

I would like to see them take Davis as he would help offset the loss of Moulds. However, the team spent a 3rd round pick on Everett last year and he could still emerge as a viable receiving TE. They also gave Robert Royal a decent chunk of change in free agency which suggests they think pretty highly of him. Given their needs, and his recent pro day performance, I think Winston Justice has to be the early favorite for the Bills selection at #8. But, I really wouldn't mind seeing them take V.Davis, Haloti Ngata, or maybe even Michael Huff. Lots of ways they can go with the #8 pick.
I'd love for there to be 2 or 3 of those players there and have them trade down 4-6 spots to take Bunkley.

Vernon Davis. You could argue that they have the worst receiving core in the NFL. I think they would be foolish to pass on Davis. Any homer views?

*Of course this is coming from a Detroit fan who loves watching his team draft offensive talent in the 1st round every year :rolleyes:
I don't see the Bills as having anywhere near the worst receiving core in the NFL. Evans is an excellent receiver just now entering his prime. I think Andre Davis has the potential to be a good #2, and Parrish could be a dangerous stretch the field guy. With those three on the field, they are probably the FASTEST group in the NFL.Sure, they could use Davis, but there are a lot of other things they could use more.

I don't see the Bills as having anywhere near the worst receiving core in the NFL. Evans is an excellent receiver just now entering his prime. I think Andre Davis has the potential to be a good #2, and Parrish could be a dangerous stretch the field guy. With those three on the field, they are probably the FASTEST group in the NFL.Sure, they could use Davis, but there are a lot of other things they could use more.
Don't forget about Mr $10mm himself......Josh Reed. :ph34r:

Lots of ways they can go with the #8 pick.
Look on the bright side. Even if Levy screws it up, you'll still have the 1.01 in '07. :thumbup:
I'm sure the Jets and 49ers will give us a good run
Our divisional games against the Jets will be especially crucial this year.
They seem to always be and If it wasn't for a late Justin Miller Kickoff Return last year the Jets would be looking at the 2nd or 3rd pick in this draft - I think they let him go by.I'll probably be at that great matchup in Buffalo.

Compared to Philly, Buff WR are talented and experienced!! As for V Davis going to Buff, I doubt it's on thier Top 3 needs.... OL, DL & QB.

Who's the QB now? Whoever it is needs time to find his current WRs. Davis would help open the offense, but I think the assumption for most is he won't slide that far, and I agree - OL/DL is the greater need.Worse receiving groups - San Fran, Jets (arguably), Philly (although once you factor in Westbrook, no), Chicago, MN, Detroit ;) ,

Lots of ways they can go with the #8 pick.
Look on the bright side. Even if Levy screws it up, you'll still have the 1.01 in '07. :thumbup:
Our divisional games against the Jets will be especially crucial this year.
They seem to always be and If it wasn't for a late Justin Miller Kickoff Return last year the Jets would be looking at the 2nd or 3rd pick in this draft - I think they let him go by.I'll probably be at that great matchup in Buffalo.
Two words: PLAYOFF. ATMOSPHERE. :thumbup:

As for V Davis going to Buff, I doubt it's on thier Top 3 needs.... OL, DL & QB.
Seriously, I don't get why *nobody* is talking about the possibility of the Bills taking a QB at #8. I understand we have burning needs on both lines, but our new regime seems to want to dump Losman (prematurely IMO, but that's beside the point) and I can't really believe they want to hitch their wagon to Craig Nall or Kelly Holcomb. If I were a GM entering my first season with a brand-new coach, knowing that my team was going to suck this year anyway, and wanting to rid myself of the previous regime's signalcaller, I think I would want to grab a QB if I had the chance.

As for V Davis going to Buff, I doubt it's on thier Top 3 needs.... OL, DL & QB.
Seriously, I don't get why *nobody* is talking about the possibility of the Bills taking a QB at #8. I understand we have burning needs on both lines, but our new regime seems to want to dump Losman (prematurely IMO, but that's beside the point) and I can't really believe they want to hitch their wagon to Craig Nall or Kelly Holcomb. If I were a GM entering my first season with a brand-new coach, knowing that my team was going to suck this year anyway, and wanting to rid myself of the previous regime's signalcaller, I think I would want to grab a QB if I had the chance.
Craig Nall will be a superstar.

Who's the QB now? Whoever it is needs time to find his current WRs. Davis would help open the offense, but I think the assumption for most is he won't slide that far, and I agree - OL/DL is the greater need.Worse receiving groups - San Fran, Jets (arguably), Philly (although once you factor in Westbrook, no), Chicago, MN, Detroit ;) ,
I'd add in the Falcons, GB (sans Walker anyway) and potentially NE as well (let the complaining begin). The Bills aren't at the top by any stretch, but I think that they can be a solid unit. I believe that Evans has #1 material. He runs decent routes, has burner speed, good hands and can make the tough catch. The #2 will probably be up for grabs going into training camp. I hope they give Sam Aiken a legitimate shot at it. I think that he has pretty good abilities and can be an NFL calibre WR. With the money they gave Reed I think they believe that he'll be the #2 though. He has the ability, but he needs to get in the game mentally a little better. Parrish is still a #3 right now IMO. He could be a great #2 eventually, but right now he would be an excellent #3 in the mould of Kevin Curtis.

But the Bills have probably the worst offensive line in football. The only one that was as bad as they were was the Texans' and they've gotten better. They just simply have to improve the O-line. Their run defense also went from one of the best in the league to one of the worst with the loss of Pat Williams. So that's a pretty large area of concern as well.

Oh this is going to be entertaining for quite some time.....

TE is a position of need for Buffalo, but not their biggest need.The draft is rich in TE's this year, as the list is a good 5-10 deep with starter talent.

GroveDiesel, IIRC the Bills also signed Andre Davis who might challenge at #2 if he can stay healthy

I'd add in the Falcons, GB (sans Walker anyway) and potentially NE as well (let the complaining begin). The Bills aren't at the top by any stretch, but I think that they can be a solid unit. I believe that Evans has #1 material. He runs decent routes, has burner speed, good hands and can make the tough catch. The #2 will probably be up for grabs going into training camp. I hope they give Sam Aiken a legitimate shot at it. I think that he has pretty good abilities and can be an NFL calibre WR. With the money they gave Reed I think they believe that he'll be the #2 though. He has the ability, but he needs to get in the game mentally a little better. Parrish is still a #3 right now IMO. He could be a great #2 eventually, but right now he would be an excellent #3 in the mould of Kevin Curtis.

But the Bills have probably the worst offensive line in football. The only one that was as bad as they were was the Texans' and they've gotten better. They just simply have to improve the O-line. Their run defense also went from one of the best in the league to one of the worst with the loss of Pat Williams. So that's a pretty large area of concern as well.
I almost added New England, but if we include TEs in this discussion, I had to leave them out. Same with Atlanta, Alge, White, Jenkins plus Dunn is a good receiving RB vs. Evans, Everitt and Parrish/Reed? I'm taking Atlanta there. GB is probably worse without Walker until/unless Murphy returns.I agree, the OL is weak. Some potential, but when one of your top linemen just learned the position after being a TE, that could cause problems. Peters is strong, but if they don't draft OL in the first, maybe Jean-Giles falls to their 2nd?

I almost added New England, but if we include TEs in this discussion, I had to leave them out. Same with Atlanta, Alge, White, Jenkins plus Dunn is a good receiving RB vs. Evans, Everitt and Parrish/Reed? I'm taking Atlanta there. GB is probably worse without Walker until/unless Murphy returns.I agree, the OL is weak. Some potential, but when one of your top linemen just learned the position after being a TE, that could cause problems. Peters is strong, but if they don't draft OL in the first, maybe Jean-Giles falls to their 2nd?
That's true. And I guess since it's a discussion about Vernon Davis we should be including TEs. So I can buy that reasoning. All in all I guess my belief is that the OL is the biggest need and has been for quite a few years now. A good offensive lineman can make an impact in both the passing and rushing game. A WR or TE makes most of their contribution in just the passing game.

:football:

Just an FYI. 2 years ago I picked up Rackers just before waiver deadline in all 3 of my dynasty leagues. Last year I picked up Kevin Everett in all 3 of my dynasty leagues just before the waiver deadline.

#1 Reason. Losman. Cost them 2 first round picks, and looked pretty good for a guy who only played 8 games.#2. Nall. Seems to be the favorite for fans to start. Looked good in a Packers uni.

#3. Holcombe can hold down the fort and thats it. Noodle arm Kelly will never be starting material.

Where would the rookie fit in? Wasting a First round pick ona QB when a Potential OT is available?

Can it happen? Yes.

Will it happen? 99% no.

:football:
I too believe Craig Nall will be....super-adequate QB. I think he will pull a Jake Delhomme and become a fixture in Buffalo. Superstar may be a reach, sufficient starter and one of the biggest surprises of 2006-2007 season is not. Jump on the bandwagon while their is still room.

In the Jets' defense, we lost our top 2 QBs in the same week. I think the Vinny thing was a huge mistake - he wasn't the answer and we should have given Brooks a chance earlier. I do think we would have been competitive with Fiedler. Ramsay has shown spots of excellence in the past and I'd be pretty happy if he took over for Chad.

Because they paid a ton to get him and he's only had two years, one as a (partial) starter. It was well-known before the draft that he was talented, but would probably need a few years to develop. If they can get the running game going then he'll be fine. He looked terrible at the beginning of the year but came around a little in the 2nd half. It didn't helf him that Kelly Holcomb is a very good, experienced QB (yes, I mean that).

He was so good that the Packers used a 1st round pick on Rodgers instead of re-signing him.

Some posts about Nall from a Saints message board about when he was with LSU (where he played before transferring to Northwestern):

I love how EVERYBODY, especially Dinardo), screwed over poor little Craigypoo. Yet, no one mentions Nick Saban. If Saban had been a failure here, Saban would be at the top of the Nall Homer's hit list. But, because Saban was a success and is generally regarded as a great coach, you hear nothing about Saban.BUT, it was Saban who determined Nall was the third stringer. And, it was under Saban that Nall transferred out of LSU. And, it was under Saban that LSU won 2 SEC Championships, 2 Sugar Bowls, and a National Championship. And he accomplished this all withuut the services of the great and soon-t0-be-perennial All Pro ( )Craig Nall whom he considered to be a THIRD STRING COLLEGE quarterback.You Nall homers sound like Tulane fans -- "all our players would be NFL All Pros if it weren't for such-and-such deliberately trying to hold him down for political reasons."If someone in the NFL thought Nall (OR ANYONE ELSE) could win them football games, he'd be playing and they would have traded a 7th round pick for him LONG ago. Instead, he'll be DAMN LUCKY to sign on for league minimum as a third stringer.==================I was on the football coaching staff at Bolton when Nall was a QB at ASH. He had a great arm and is a good football player. He also is a good guy, but I feel he isn't a franchise QB and will be nothing more than a backup. I could be wrong, and wish him all the best, but while at Bolton we beat them for the district title my last year there. On one occasion, a coach at ASH came down to our booth and started talking about how good craig was and how he changed the play at the line of scrimm for a TDpass. It was sweet when we came back and whipped that ###.==================I grew up playing with Craig from little league to Dixie Majors. We won a state title when we were 13 and I have always thought he was over-rated. He was a media darling while he was at ASH yet he never completed 50% of his passes. If it wasn't for his dad, Malcom, kissing butt to everybody then he wouldn't have been on a football scholarship anywhere. I was very surprised that he made it to the NFL just like everybody else from Alex. He will never be a starter in the NFL but he will make a ton of money just by being another Doug Pederson. Good for him and his family on that one but honestly he should never sniff playing time

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, Nall is not lacking confidence.

Bills | Nall thinks he can win the starting jobSat, 8 Apr 2006 07:33:02 -0700Scott Pitoniak, of the Democrat and Chronicle, reports Buffalo Bills QB Craig Nall thinks he can win the team's starting quarterback position. Nall was asked how confident he is of winning the job. "Very confident," he said. "I don't think I could be here if I wasn't. I really needed a chance to have someone believe that I can do the job." Nall comes to town on almost even terms with his two rivals, QBs J.P. Losman and Kelly Holcomb. All three will have to familiarize themselves with a new offense and a new coaching staff.
from KFFL :popcorn:

Some posts about Nall from a Saints message board about when he was with LSU (where he played before transferring to Northwestern):

I love how EVERYBODY, especially Dinardo), screwed over poor little Craigypoo. Yet, no one mentions Nick Saban. If Saban had been a failure here, Saban would be at the top of the Nall Homer's hit list. But, because Saban was a success and is generally regarded as a great coach, you hear nothing about Saban.

BUT, it was Saban who determined Nall was the third stringer. And, it was under Saban that Nall transferred out of LSU. And, it was under Saban that LSU won 2 SEC Championships, 2 Sugar Bowls, and a National Championship. And he accomplished this all withuut the services of the great and soon-t0-be-perennial All Pro ( )Craig Nall whom he considered to be a THIRD STRING COLLEGE quarterback.

You Nall homers sound like Tulane fans -- "all our players would be NFL All Pros if it weren't for such-and-such deliberately trying to hold him down for political reasons."

If someone in the NFL thought Nall (OR ANYONE ELSE) could win them football games, he'd be playing and they would have traded a 7th round pick for him LONG ago. Instead, he'll be DAMN LUCKY to sign on for league minimum as a third stringer.

==================

I was on the football coaching staff at Bolton when Nall was a QB at ASH. He had a great arm and is a good football player. He also is a good guy, but I feel he isn't a franchise QB and will be nothing more than a backup. I could be wrong, and wish him all the best, but while at Bolton we beat them for the district title my last year there. On one occasion, a coach at ASH came down to our booth and started talking about how good craig was and how he changed the play at the line of scrimm for a TDpass. It was sweet when we came back and whipped that ###.

==================

I grew up playing with Craig from little league to Dixie Majors. We won a state title when we were 13 and I have always thought he was over-rated. He was a media darling while he was at ASH yet he never completed 50% of his passes. If it wasn't for his dad, Malcom, kissing butt to everybody then he wouldn't have been on a football scholarship anywhere. I was very surprised that he made it to the NFL just like everybody else from Alex. He will never be a starter in the NFL but he will make a ton of money just by being another Doug Pederson. Good for him and his family on that one but honestly he should never sniff playing time
:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread