What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why no love for............. (1 Viewer)

Twisters

Footballguy
Jim Bates. Last year this guy rallied a Dolphins team that sucked to beat the Patriots and had them fighting every game. So Nick Saban lets him go earler this year.

This year he gets the Packers D to seventh overall and first in pass defense. This defense was supposed to be horrendous. Now he and Green Bay have parted ways.

So why no love for Jim Bates :mellow:

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c.../ABN3999176.htm

I don't give the Dolphins full credit for that win over the Pats.Anytime you have your backup QB trying to do dropkick extra points, you can't be trying to win too hard.Other than that, I dunno why no love for him. Maybe he just rubs people the wrong way.

Seems curious to me too. I was very impressed at how hard the Dolphins played when he was the interim coach and with the job he did with what I thought would be an awful Packer D.

I don't give the Dolphins full credit for that win over the Pats.

Anytime you have your backup QB trying to do dropkick extra points, you can't be trying to win too hard.

Other than that, I dunno why no love for him. Maybe he just rubs people the wrong way.
He wasn't the Dolphins coach this year. He is talking about when they beat the Pats toward the end of '04 in Miami.

I don't give the Dolphins full credit for that win over the Pats.

Anytime you have your backup QB trying to do dropkick extra points, you can't be trying to win too hard.

Other than that, I dunno why no love for him. Maybe he just rubs people the wrong way.
He wasn't the Dolphins coach this year. He is talking about when they beat the Pats toward the end of '04 in Miami.
Oh THAT win... Okay that one was much much more impressive in my book and gets an official :thumbup:

Bates was offered the DC job by McCarthy but Bates declined.
Was reading the journal sentinel online, and it sounded to me though that McCarthy didn't want Bates. Here's what I'm talking about, maybe I'm just interpreting it wrong...

But, Bates said, "I felt like it was best for Mike." He said he didn't want to step in McCarthy's way of assembling his own staff.

McCarthy said the decision was made today that the pairing "didn't fit."

"It wasn't in my heart and it wasn't in my heart," McCarthy said.

In a news release, McCarthy said, "I have great respect for Jim Bates as a defensive football coach," McCarthy said in a news release. "He and I have gotten together on a couple occasions over the last several days to discuss him as the defensive coordinator on my staff. Ultimately, we agreed that the best course of action for both of us would be for the Packers to go in a different direction."

EDIT, Here's the link too http://www.jsonline.com/packer/news/jan06/385407.asp

Last edited by a moderator:
Bates was offered the DC job by McCarthy but Bates declined.
Was reading the journal sentinel online, and it sounded to me though that McCarthy didn't want Bates. Here's what I'm talking about, maybe I'm just interpreting it wrong...

But, Bates said, "I felt like it was best for Mike." He said he didn't want to step in McCarthy's way of assembling his own staff.

McCarthy said the decision was made today that the pairing "didn't fit."

"It wasn't in my heart and it wasn't in my heart," McCarthy said.

In a news release, McCarthy said, "I have great respect for Jim Bates as a defensive football coach," McCarthy said in a news release. "He and I have gotten together on a couple occasions over the last several days to discuss him as the defensive coordinator on my staff. Ultimately, we agreed that the best course of action for both of us would be for the Packers to go in a different direction."

EDIT, Here's the link too http://www.jsonline.com/packer/news/jan06/385407.asp
The article did state this as well..."Bates, a popular coach with both players and fans, said he was offered the chance to stay with the Packers but declined. "

So maybe they didn't offer him the DC spot but a different position. I hope this works out for the Packers.

Users who are viewing this thread