What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why would anyone need an assault rifle? (3 Viewers)

Assault Rifles

• Total voters
I can see why you'd go that route, but I actually disagree with that. I think those types of weapons are too dangerous for random people to own and literally serve no purpose other than to fight a revolution or something similar. Guns still have sporting or pleasure uses that are reasonable. My rationale is that, if 'revolution' comes, guns are enough. All of those fancy things need supplies to function and are largely dispersed throughout the entire country. A despot would struggle immensely to secure all of those stockpiles and armories across an entire country during a revolution. I'd also expect that at least some of the army wouldn't want to shoot their friends and family. 
As a liberal, this is where we lose - because what you call a despot, we might call a great President.  And since conservatives typically own more guns, a hippie liberal commie pinko guy like me is screwed when the stuff hits the fan.   :wall:

I think the question is where you draw the line, because it can be blurry.  When it comes down to it, a tank is just a big mobile gun.

Grenade launchers?

Automatic guns?

Semi-automatic guns?

Pistols?

Toy guns?

To date, our government has said yes to semi-automatic and no to automatic.  Some believe it is too strict, others believe not strict enough.  People just disagree where that line is.

Hippie liberal commie pinko guy like me also believes that if you need an automatic gun to go hunting, you may just want to go to a butcher shop because you are doing it wrong.

I think those types of weapons are too dangerous for random people to own and literally serve no purpose other than to fight a revolution or something similar.
This is exactly our point.  We bifurcate handguns/hunting rifles and semi-auto AR15s with 100-round drums.  The latter fits into the category you described above.  

I go back and forth on this. 

But here's my main question: if we do ban them, what about all the ones already out there? 
i know Philly and plenty of other cities offer gun buy-back programs. give multiple chances to sell back the gun for 3-4 times what it is worth. minor dent in city budget should justify saving a few lives

I have no problem "banning" them, but...

We're never going to stop the military and federal agents from having them.

We're not going to stop letting the police have them.

The Orlando shooter was a licensed security guard who worked for a federal Dept. of Homeland Security subcontractor and had taken police training. I don't know if it's been specified if he just took classes or, at some point, was enrolled in police academy.

But, preventing someone with those credentials from getting an assault rifle is not reasonable.

And a few of these incidents have come from military personnel, from cops, from federal agents, etc.

Better screening is my key, not stopping the guns themselves.
Military, counterterrorism units, and SWAT - that's it... Nobody else has any practical use for these things.

One day we'll have a politician with balls to stand up to the NRA.

This is exactly our point.  We bifurcate handguns/hunting rifles and semi-auto AR15s with 100-round drums.  The latter fits into the category you described above.  
And I can see that point, definitely a big reason why my beliefs have wavered in recent years. 

Full automatics are not banned. They are heavily regulated and are VERY expensive. Like $10k expensive. 

Anyone willing to convert a semi automatic to full automatic is not worried about spending 20 yrs in jail on a firearms charge, so avoiding additional background checks or buying illegally will not slow them down.

As far as I know, a legally registered fully automatic weapon has never been traced to a violent crime. 

Why are cars that exceed the speed limit legal? ;)

:fishing:

Minimum mandatory sentence of like 10-15 years, that'll thin the herd. It'll take some time, but the groundwork will be laid and in a generation or two, they'll almost all be gone.
I don't own one, or want to really. But I have a few friends that do, and they enjoy them alot. They're not going  kill anyone, I promise you. And I don't think you should be able to take  them from them. 

The end

Full automatics are not banned. They are heavily regulated and are VERY expensive. Like $10k expensive. 

Anyone willing to convert a semi automatic to full automatic is not worried about spending 20 yrs in jail on a firearms charge, so avoiding additional background checks or buying illegally will not slow them down.

As far as I know, a legally registered fully automatic weapon has never been traced to a violent crime. 

Sort of.  Fully automatics made before 1986 are still legal.  They are so costly because there are only a finite number of them remaining in circulation. 

And yes, those owning these weapons are not committing crimes because they cost so damn much and are so hard to find.  The ones that are being used are converted or brought in from outside the US. 

I don't disagree with the thinking around this but it goes to the militia language and the constitution prior to incorporation of 14th amendment that said constitiution applies to states. Think real intent was that the federal government could not ban guns in a manner that would infringe the states rights to have local militias to fight against the evil central government. Limiting the sale of assault rifles like the ar15 to individuals doesn't impact the right of states to have militias. 

If you think of the experience of the founders where state and local militias existed to fight the UK that is comparable to need of militias to fight the federal government. Not for individuals to stockpile their own personal arsenals not tied to state militias. 
The problem is, in 2008, the Supreme Court Heller decision (5-4) took the legs out from under this argument, so it will literally take an act of Congress to overturn the Supreme Court's decision.

I don't own one, or want to really. But I have a few friends that do, and they enjoy them alot. They're not going  kill anyone, I promise you. And I don't think you should be able to take  them from them. 

The end
And these guns could never be stolen from them?

Or sold to someone else with different views?

Until liberals would tone down their anti-anti-gun zealotry, rhetoric, and preference for governmental overreach there will be no compromise.

Nobody on the right believes you want to stop at assault rifles.

:shrug:

Don't you need a special registration/approval to buy one?

The problem is, in 2008, the Supreme Court Heller decision (5-4) took the legs out from under this argument, so it will literally take an act of Congress to overturn the Supreme Court's decision.
Not disagreeing with what Heller did but I don't think the "so called" originalists that wrote the majority really found the original intent but found what they wanted to find. 

Last edited by a moderator:

The end
In the end, this is still the most compelling argument for me. If I truly believed that we could save lives by banning them, I'd be for that, and I wouldn't care about this argument. But I have my doubts that this is the case. And unless somebody can convince me that it really would save lives, I don't see why we should take away these guns from law abiding citizens who enjoy using them. 

Not disagreeing with what Heller did but I don't think the "so called" originalists that wrote the majority really found the original intent but found what they wanted to find. 
I agree with you, and I believe the Supreme Court was incorrect as well.  But until something changes it, guns gonna shoot.

In the end, this is still the most compelling argument for me. If I truly believed that we could save lives by banning them, I'd be for that, and I wouldn't care about this argument. But I have my doubts that this is the case. And unless somebody can convince me that it really would save lives, I don't see why we should take away these guns from law abiding citizens who enjoy using them. 
Holy Crap! Tim said something that I agree with!

Has anyone posted that Onion article in here yet? Or that chart of gun deaths in developed nations. 

And these guns could never be stolen from them?

Or sold to someone else with different views?
Sure, that's possible. It's possible that I get struck by lightning tomorrow too, but I'm not going to walk around all day afraid that it's going to happen

I don't disagree with the thinking around this but it goes to the militia language and the constitution prior to incorporation of 14th amendment that said constitiution applies to states. Think real intent was that the federal government could not ban guns in a manner that would infringe the states rights to have local militias to fight against the evil central government. Limiting the sale of assault rifles like the ar15 to individuals doesn't impact the right of states to have militias. 

If you think of the experience of the founders where state and local militias existed to fight the UK that is comparable to need of militias to fight the federal government. Not for individuals to stockpile their own personal arsenals not tied to state militias. 
However, the members of the militia owned the guns, not the state. All able-bodied men in Idaho are members of the State militia and could be called out to defend the state. Not sure about other states where I have lived.

And since conservatives typically own more guns, a hippie liberal commie pinko guy like me is screwed when the stuff hits the fan.   :wall:
Damn right you are! But if you stay in your city and accept slow starvation, you probably have nothing to fear from us gun-toting rednecks living in the country.

Gun deaths in developed nations? Haven't seen it, but I assume we're winning.
I've seen it posted elsewhere on Twitter, but here it's the second chart under the 2nd point (Edit - The very first chart shows the same thing), appropriately titled: More guns mean more gun deaths. Period.

That article was posted last October, so it's not a reaction to this specific shooting (though I'm sure it was to one of them).

how many other countries have our bill of rights? Apples to oranges comparisons with countries not like us are useless. Lets compare state to state.

The end

Really?  This is the most compelling argument?  I guess since he "promised" none of his friends will kill anyone, that is good enough for me!  Guessing Omar Mateen had friends too.

Until liberals would tone down their anti-anti-gun zealotry, rhetoric, and preference for governmental overreach there will be no compromise.

Nobody on the right believes you want to stop at assault rifles.

:shrug:
I'm starting to think 45 MPH is safer than 55 MPH.

If meaningful progress on gun control in this country can legitimately be impeded by "but people enjoy them" we're really, truly ####ed. 

how many other countries have our bill of rights? Apples to oranges comparisons with countries not like us are useless. Lets compare state to state.
The English Bill of Rights, 1689, which predates the US by 100ish years, contains this passage, "That the subjects which are Protestants may have arms for their defence suitable to their conditions and as allowed by law." That bill of rights was then taken to most British Commonwealth countries (including Canada). The laws in most have them have evolved past 430 year old statutes :shrug:

So if this idiot didn't have access to the type of weapons he had, what would he have done to cause the chaos he did?  Because I don't think he would have been deterred.

The English Bill of Rights, 1689, which predates the US by 100ish years, contains this passage, "That the subjects which are Protestants may have arms for their defence suitable to their conditions and as allowed by law." That bill of rights was then taken to most British Commonwealth countries (including Canada). The laws in most have them have evolved past 430 year old statutes :shrug:
Clearly all catholics here are killers 

It's at least as solid of an argument as "well, you don't NEED to own them".
How about they can kill a lot of people rather quickly, they aren't difficult to obtain, and we have lax gun laws where people like this Orlando guy, James Holmes, and the sandy hook scumbag can get their hands on them without much difficulty... Is that better? Plus they are far from a necessity in 2016 USA.

So if this idiot didn't have access to the type of weapons he had, what would he have done to cause the chaos he did?  Because I don't think he would have been deterred.
He'd have gone in with a shotgun and the carnage, while lessened of course, would have been enough to "begin the conversation" about banning shotguns.

He would've killed 5 people or 7 people, not 50 while wounding over 50 more.

How about they can kill a lot of people rather quickly, they aren't difficult to obtain, and we have lax gun laws where people like this Orlando guy, James Holmes, and the sandy hook scumbag can get their hands on them without much difficulty... Is that better? Plus they are far from a necessity in 2016 USA.
Yes, those are more compelling arguments.

Handgun down? I'd think they'd be easier to carry around. Furthermore, if a handgun isn't adequate, you might not be suited to use an assault rifle.
Not that I disagree with your original point (I'm fine with banning them), but a handgun is pretty damn hard to shoot with any accuracy. I'd say a good chunk of the population would have a much smaller chance than you'd think of successfully stopping a home invasion with a handgun. They'd make Lloyd Christmas look like a Navy SEAL. 

You probably mean shotgun, which is what most people would really need. 

But yeah, the general public really doesn't need assault rifles, even though they are a hell of a lot of fun to shoot. Whether it makes sense to outlaw them, or how, I really don't know.

Users who are viewing this thread