What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why would anyone need an assault rifle? (5 Viewers)

Assault Rifles

• Total voters
The government denied this assembly because of the content of the speech/expressive conduct.  Interesting.  Particularly interesting in that they had a content neutral reason available what with fire in a natural area, potential danger.
No.  The government denied it because of the anti-KKK rally that developed during a cross burning in 2016 that had only 20 or so attendees but over a hundred protesters.  They claimed they did not have the resources to manage the opposition to the KKK.

I've never stood in front of Stone Mountain.  There is probably no way to appreciate the scale unless one does. I've seen pictures, of course.  that said I had seen many pictures of "a Day in the Park" but never understood the thing until I stood in front of it.  Not that I equate the two for merit, just commenting on scale.

No.  The government denied it because of the anti-KKK rally that developed during a cross burning in 2016 that had only 20 or so attendees but over a hundred protesters.  They claimed they did not have the resources to manage the opposition to the KKK.
The article cited was, then, misleading.  That's why I asked.

I just did some reading.  I have, of course, seen a picture or two.  Also, like everybody else I remember the reference from the I have a Dream Speech.   The more comprehensive history, I have gathered some from hearing folks discuss the place and the subject, but the perpetual easement tied to the property to allow the Klan to, well, Klan, and the condemning of the property by the state to remove that easement, well that is interesting history I knew too little about.

This brings up an answer to the question in the title of the thread.    Q-Who needs an assault rifle? A-Those subject to oppression by those of ignorant beliefs, unchecked by their government, folks like African Americans in the south just within the last hundred years.   Some real potential for folks changing sides on the argument in this context.

Last edited by a moderator:
from the link provided

The park clamped down on event safety after an April 2016 white supremacist gathering swelled with hundreds of protesters opposed to the rally, which was ultimately attended by just a few dozen white supremacists.

The association cited the April 2016 rally and said the cross-burning would require more safety resources than could be provided.

Ironically the issue is the protesters of the cross-burning that assembled with out permit and caused a safety issue.  I don't condone the KKK in any way, shape, or form, but I do support their right to free speech as long as it is conducted in a safe manner.  
https://www.ajc.com/news/local/kkk-request-burn-cross-stone-mountain-denied/CWIuCDe3M1qaC7PalvwYiP/

Georgia's terroristic threats and acts statute also specifically bars the practice when it’s done with the intent to “terrorize.” The U.S. Supreme Court ruled in 2003 that states can ban cross-burning, though it warned that the intent to intimidate must be proven in each case.

Ironic that they were there to steal his guns.
My collection started with Onyx, a gift for my oldest daughter. Then Lucky just showed up one day, and my youngest said it was hers. Then Onyx got lucky and my ex said Junior and Princess were for her. No one ever tried to steal them. I locked up Princess in the utility room whenever we left the house because I was afraid of her firepower if someone ever broke into the house. 

Dogs have liability, but I'll bet they're better for home protection than guns in most situations. I never felt unsafe coming into my house at night.

Ummm another gun wouldn’t have shot those people?  Only the AR?
Well, if you believe the gun thread, there was a discussion about how deadly the AR is. So, if you have four armed people in your house, wouldn't you want the most effective thing you can own to fight them off?

If each had a handgun holding between 7 and 17 rounds. You are in a pretty serious gunfight. I'd be curious to know how many rounds were fired by the intruders and the homeowner. The article did say that one of the deceased was found with his pistol slide locked. Indicating that he had fired the gun until the magazine was empty. 

I don't think its the norm. But in this case, I think a semi auto rifle was needed. 

Probably not in this case as he was specifically targeted for his guns and marijuana.

Now, maybe if people owned fewer guns or marijuana was legal this wouldnt have happened.
Fewer guns and legal marijuana would make poor people rich and stop crime?

Where do I sign up?

Did a quick check. Legal marijuana is more expensive in every state where it is legal vs illegal marijuana. 

Legalizing marijuana won't change anything between the Haves and the Have Nots. 
I haven't looked it up, but I bet there's far fewer violent crimes tied to marijuana in states that have legalized it.  It's not about the cost, it's the deep criminal networks that exist to support illegal drug sales.  My hunch is the guy with the AR15 was involved in some of those networks.

This is wild speculation on the actual crime we were talking about above.

Why would anyone need an assault rifle? The whole reason we have the second amendment is so we can defend ourselves from a tyrannical government. The police have become completely militaristic in this country .

We should all have assault rifles. Then maybe Congress will start working for us instead of the highest bidder. Maybe the police would be more like public servants instead of storm troopers who beat, jail and shoot us into submission if we disagree with government policies.

https://armedcitizensnetwork.org/why-american-citizens-need-assault-rifles

Ummm another gun wouldn’t have shot those people?  Only the AR?
Comical post but not surprising. My guess is he unloaded on these guys, spraying everywhere. He killed with the AR-15. They didn't with their hand guns. The good guy won and you don't like it.

I haven't looked it up, but I bet there's far fewer violent crimes tied to marijuana in states that have legalized it.  It's not about the cost, it's the deep criminal networks that exist to support illegal drug sales.  My hunch is the guy with the AR15 was involved in some of those networks.

This is wild speculation on the actual crime we were talking about above.
Maybe. But,, I think you're painting with broad strokes in regards to home invasions. Most are simple burglaries where the perp didn't know someone was home. If these guys knew this guy was home, the police should be calling it something other than a home invasion. Robbery perhaps. 

Comical post but not surprising. My guess is he unloaded on these guys, spraying everywhere. He killed with the AR-15. They didn't with their hand guns. The good guy won and you don't like it.
The question is why anyone would need an assault rifle. Plenty of other guns could have done what he did  here.

I dont like that the good guy won?  What are you talking about?

The question is why anyone would need an assault rifle. Plenty of other guns could have done what he did  here.

I dont like that the good guy won?  What are you talking about?
Wrong. If the homeowner would of had a revolver with 6 rounds, the homeowner would have been dead. 

Not only does the AR allow for more rounds, depending on caliber, it would also allow for shooting through walls. Since the homeowner had knowledge of the layout, and was a Veteran, he had a distinct advantage. 

People that know nothing about guns or tactics should educate themselves.

I can promise you won’t be able to do this.
Him alone?  No, of course not.

Him and a few million others? Yes.

The notion that the entire point of the 2nd amendment is moot because no one person can't defend against the US Army is ridiculous.

Wrong. If the homeowner would of had a revolver with 6 rounds, the homeowner would have been dead. 

Not only does the AR allow for more rounds, depending on caliber, it would also allow for shooting through walls. Since the homeowner had knowledge of the layout, and was a Veteran, he had a distinct advantage. 

@Apple Jack - Which part of this post do you find so funny? 

Sometimes when I feel like killing someone, I do a little trick to calm myself down. I'll go over to the persons house and ring the doorbell. When the person comes to the door, I'm gone, but you know what I've left on the porch? A jack-o-lantern with a knife stuck in the side of it's head with a note that says "You." After that Iusually feel a lot better, and no harm done.

When the homeowner returns to his house, will he buy more assault weapons for the next burglary, or will he secure the perimeter with an alarm, barrier and dog.
I think you're confused. 

Home invasion vs burglary. A dog may deter a burglar. But, it may not deter someone(s) that wishes to do you harm. If that happens, there are too many variables in regards to dogs. (dog may be friendly, dog may not really attack the intruder, dog could be subdued with a cheeseburger)

I'm not trying to protect myself when I'm not at home. The link you posted shows that burglars avoid homes when it appears that people are home (car in driveway, tv or radio on). But, the article I posted discusses how a dog wasnt a key factor in deterring criminals that were looking to do more than burglarize. 

I think you're confused. 

Home invasion vs burglary. A dog may deter a burglar. But, it may not deter someone(s) that wishes to do you harm. If that happens, there are too many variables in regards to dogs. (dog may be friendly, dog may not really attack the intruder, dog could be subdued with a cheeseburger)

I'm not trying to protect myself when I'm not at home. The link you posted shows that burglars avoid homes when it appears that people are home (car in driveway, tv or radio on). But, the article I posted discusses how a dog wasnt a key factor in deterring criminals that were looking to do more than burglarize. 
One of the home invaders came to the front door with a ruse about needing help with a vehicle about an hour before the break-in. If he had heard a loud bark from a German shepherd, I doubt if the invaders would've returned. I'd prefer a shotgun and a shepherd over the AR-15 if I lived in an isolated location.

One of the home invaders came to the front door with a ruse about needing help with a vehicle about an hour before the break-in. If he had heard a loud bark from a German shepherd, I doubt if the invaders would've returned. I'd prefer a shotgun and a shepherd over the AR-15 if I lived in an isolated location.
One of the intruders had a shotgun. He went up against an AR. He's dead now. 

Dogs are not a guarantee. They can work, they can not work. 

Why did you say shotgun AND shepherd? And not just shepherd? Seems that you don't have 100% faith in the dog either. 

KCitons said:

A 9mm will penetrate multiple layers of drywall with no problem, on par or better than a .223 depending on the respective rounds.  Many 12 gauge loads will penetrate multiple layers or drywall as well . 

Users who are viewing this thread