What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Will Dom Davis be trade bait? (1 Viewer)

Jedeye

Footballguy
The Texans are likely going to take Bush. This might be an opportunity for Houston to offer up Dom Davis as trade bait to a team looking to fill a need at RB. The team that jumps to mind first is Indy. Dom is a good receiving RB that I think would excel in Indy's system.

Could anyone else see this as a possibility, or maybe a trade to somewhere else?

The Texans are likely going to take Bush. This might be an opportunity for Houston to offer up Dom Davis as trade bait to a team looking to fill a need at RB. The team that jumps to mind first is Indy. Dom is a good receiving RB that I think would excel in Indy's system.

Could anyone else see this as a possibility, or maybe a trade to somewhere else?
I highly doubt it. Indy had one of the best backs in the league and they were unwilling to pay him so the chances that they trade for a back and they pay him decent although less money is remote at best. Indy will go with who they have (unless Bennett or someone like him will sign for the min.) and draft a rb.

I'd say no. It seems that no matter how great the RB is, the return in a trade for that player is always minimal. If Alexander and Edge can't net 1st or 2nd rounders in return, then I don't Davis will get much either.

I'd say no.  It seems that no matter how great the RB is, the return in a trade for that player is always minimal.  If Alexander and Edge can't net 1st or 2nd rounders in return, then I don't Davis will get much either.
Alexander and Edge didn't get offers for two reasons, 1) they were both potential FAs at the end of 2005 and 2) they were going to get large $$$ contracts with large $$$ signing bonuses and guaranteed money. If someone really wanted them, they just had to wait a year and not give up any compensation, like Arizona did.If SA/Edge had a few more years left on their contracts for not so bad $$$, then I think that many a team would have given up 1st/2nd rounders.

Last edited by a moderator:

Low 3rd or 4th round pick at the most.

I hope the Colts have ZERO interest in the remote idea of Davis coming to Indy. He is a liability. Has he had a healthy season yet?

He should be used for trade bait but for what? The Texan need an offensive line... who trades a RB for an O line?

I am upset as a Colts fan (side note) that Edge was allowed to leave. I wish Peyton, who said he wanted Edge to stay, would have taken a pay cut to try and keep him. The gesture would have been nice even though it would have been impossible.

What are we going to do at RB???? :unsure:

I hope the Colts have ZERO interest in the remote idea of Davis coming to Indy. He is a liability. Has he had a healthy season yet?

He should be used for trade bait but for what? The Texan need an offensive line... who trades a RB for an O line?

I am upset as a Colts fan (side note) that Edge was allowed to leave. I wish Peyton, who said he wanted Edge to stay, would have taken a pay cut to try and keep him. The gesture would have been nice even though it would have been impossible.

DD has 4 years left on a contract that would cost a total of $14M with no guaranteed money. The Texans would be taking a $6M hit to trade him so they aren't going to give him away but for the right picks he might be available.A proven RB who can catch and has a cheap contract is worth at least a 2nd.

Ummm, both Manning and Harrison restructured deals to save about 12.5 mil against the cap this year. And historically, it has been the club that has been reluctant to restructure, not the players.http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti.../603060382/1100

They had the money to resign Edge. Manning and Harrison both redid their contracts. Edge is 28 is is not the RB he was. I think it was a good time to let him go..Rb's dont last long in the NFL..If we get a young guy we have 4 years or so to keep pushing for a SB. Fact is the front office didnt want Edge back. The cap hit ARZ will take for his contract is less than the hit we had for him as a franchise player. We have MAJOR players next season on D we have to sign and they are more important than a then 29 year old RB that has NO break away speed. We will be fine..relax :popcorn:

Davis won't be dealt, not this year. The Texans never should have worked him as much as they have in the past in the first place. Less touches = less injuries for Dom. He should flourish in a single back 3wr set with Bush in the slot.

I think the Texans keep Dom as insurance with the smaller Bush.
TSN had a good blurb in last week's issue on the 4 small RBs in this years draft class. And their take-home point was that any of them can be productive if used properly in the right system. They suggested that Pete used the combo of Reggie & White @ USC perfectly. Reggie's a home-run hitter, but at 201-lbs isn't likely to be an every down back or 25+ carries guy. They suggested that DD is the perfect compliment to Reggie - just as LenDale was.

TSN had a good blurb in last week's issue on the 4 small RBs in this years draft class. And their take-home point was that any of them can be productive if used properly in the right system. They suggested that Pete used the combo of Reggie & White @ USC perfectly. Reggie's a home-run hitter, but at 201-lbs isn't likely to be an every down back or 25+ carries guy. They suggested that DD is the perfect compliment to Reggie - just as LenDale was.
Too costly in the NFL. When they sign Bush they will have to highest money in RB's in the league. They need help in other places

What did the Packers get in their trade for Ahman Green? Anyone remember?

Of course, he wasn't a starter in Seattle.

Please stop. He's not going to be traded to the Colts.

No one is going to give squat for Dom Davis. He's not a legit NFL starter. He's a COP back, and those guys are a dime a dozen.

Now watch half of the board come scurrying out talking aboust his fantasy stats and how great he is.

Truth is, he'll make a fine backup to Bush. Again, contrary to popular opinion, the Texans did NOT pay Davis a ton of money - the deal would be on the high end for a backup, but it was on the low end for a starter.

I don't think the Colts need to make a trade in order to secure their starting RB. I think the Colts are in good shape with how the RB market worked out. They obviously didn't want to pay premium money, otherwise Edge would still be in white and blue. With how the teams likely to draft a RB filling their needs through free agency, I think the Colts will be able to land one of the top 4 backs in the draft and only have to pay them late 1st round money. If Williams or White falls to them, that is great value(I think they are top 15, talent-wise) and they will provide an impact. I am not as sold on Maroney, but he could easily be a very good pro(particularly in that offense)

OK, They will not do anything with DD, because they won't draft Bush! That's right, you heard me right! The Texans will draft Furgeson with the first pick! They need to get Carr more time in the pocket and what better way to do that then to get the best tackle in the draft.

Too many questions about Bush at the pro level. Sure, he was a great college player, but many great college players stink when they get to the pro's

Davis signed a new deal last August. I'm a little confused as to what he signed, as it was labeled as a 2-year extension but it's also described as a 5-year deal. The terms were $22 million total with an $8 million signing bonus.

LINK

His salaries over the contract are listed as . . .

2005 380000.00

2006 1700000.00

2007 3340000.00

2008 4180000.00

2009 4550000.00

Bottom line, by my calculations the Texans would take a $6.4 million cap hit if they trade Davis in the near future or $3.2 million over 2 years if he was traded after June 1st.

No one is going to give squat for Dom Davis. He's not a legit NFL starter. He's a COP back, and those guys are a dime a dozen.

Now watch half of the board come scurrying out talking aboust his fantasy stats and how great he is.

Truth is, he'll make a fine backup to Bush. Again, contrary to popular opinion, the Texans did NOT pay Davis a ton of money - the deal would be on the high end for a backup, but it was on the low end for a starter.
I agree that DD isn't equipped to be a feature back, but you can't just ignore that on a team with no OL and a suspect passing game, he put up pretty solid numbers when he was healthy.

Too costly in the NFL. When they sign Bush they will have to highest money in RB's in the league. They need help in other places
I still don't believe for a minute,that Houston picks Bush.Just can't see it happening with all the other areas they desperately need help in,such as O-line or defense..With the $$ in vested in DD, I think they trade out of the top spot and select Brick Ferguson, possibly swapping with Jets and John Abraham..

I still don't believe for a minute,that Houston picks Bush.Just can't see it happening with all the other areas they desperately need help in,such as O-line or defense..With the $$ in vested in DD, I think they trade out of the top spot and select Brick Ferguson, possibly swapping with Jets and John Abraham..
When i look at the evidence available 5 or 6 weeks from the draft;1- John Abraham has visited and talked with several teams none of them Houston.

2- The jets are trying to lure young veteran Qbs through trade.

3- With NO seemingly out of the QB market, they have put the 2nd pick on the market as a cheaper alternative for teams wanting to trade up.

4- the Jets have plenty of holes themselves why are they trading multiple draft picks for Bush or a QB?

It looks like Houston even if its desire is to trade down, is stuck with the pick.

Why wouldn't the Colts jump up to number 1 and grab Bush? :lmao:

Sorry, the talk about DD NOT being a feature back is such a joke, I had to make one too........

Users who are viewing this thread