What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Will the outcome of a play-off game change this year? (1 Viewer)

DropKick

Footballguy
I think it was an overreaction to last year's run of OT games decided on the first possession, but this post season will give us the first opportunity for the "new" OT rule to be applied. No longer will a FG on the 1st possession end the game. The kicking team will get an offensive opportunity.

I don't like the rule and was surprised they didn't simply guarantee each team at least one possession. This is not the case, however, as an immediate TD will end the game.

Will this affect a game this year? If so, what would be your reaction if your team loses a game they would have won under classical rules? A worst case example would be the SB going to OT; a touch-back on the opening kick-off of OT; the offense drives 75 yards and kicks a short FG. Now, instead of winning the game, you kick off and, with a team in desperation "4 down mode", they score the TD for the win.

ETA: this season, the vast majority of OT games were not decided on the first possession.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it will "affect" a game, but not necessarily the ultimate outcome. Coaches may opt to kickoff to start overtime, forcing the other coach to make the tough decision (kick a FG or go for it) if they reach fourth down in field goal range. This is not necessarily the best strategic move for the team, but it probably is for the coach, because if the decision doesn't work out the coach will be lambasted in the media.

i put money on the craptacular officiating affecting the outcome of some games. i bet one game gets screwed up because they couldnt even get the replay right

i put money on the craptacular officiating affecting the outcome of some games. i bet one game gets screwed up because they couldnt even get the replay right
I'm willing to bet that 90-96% of people who criticize officials have never done it at any level.

The advent of new OT rules is unlikely to affect the outcome. The team that scores first will probably win.

I could see the KC-BAL game going into OT........

and FG or no FG coming into play..........

I'm willing to bet that 90-96% of people who criticize officials have never done it at any level.
:confused: It is NOT easy, and there's no way you're ever going to see everything, or get everything right.

BlueDredSo said:
:goodposting: It is NOT easy, and there's no way you're ever going to see everything, or get everything right.
Geez, even the YMCA parents when I had just started officiating sports are freakin INSANE. It's tough to do. And then every night at home I'd be thinking - if you care that much, why the heck is your kid in YMCA leagues? haha

flc735 said:
if i were a coach with a chance to kick the first fg, even a few yards inside my kickers max range, i would punt! if you make it, you kick off. opponent has 4 downs to drive 40 yards and get in FG range and then you are back to square 1
Or, if you stop them, you win.
if you punt, your opponent has 3 downs to drive 50 yards (10 to 40). if they dont, you get the ball back with better field position. if they make it, you are now in team B's position. 4 downs to drive 40 yards.
No, if they make it, the game is over. You lose. And if they don't, I'm not sure how you figure you'll end up with better field position.
btw, clock...do they keep the game clock on in playoff overtimes? what happens if team A kicks the first FG 14:59 into OT?
Yes, the clock runs. If Team A actually used up 14:59 on the opening drive and then kicked a FG, the game would continue into a second OT period.

flc735 said:
if i were a coach with a chance to kick the first fg, even a few yards inside my kickers max range, i would punt! if you make it, you kick off. opponent has 4 downs to drive 40 yards and get in FG range and then you are back to square 1
if you punt, your opponent has 3 downs to drive 50 yards (10 to 40). if they dont, you get the ball back with better field position. if they make it, you are now in team B's position. 4 downs to drive 40 yards.
No, if they make it, the game is over. You lose. And if they don't, I'm not sure how you figure you'll end up with better field position.
btw, clock...do they keep the game clock on in playoff overtimes? what happens if team A kicks the first FG 14:59 into OT?
Yes, the clock runs. If Team A actually used up 14:59 on the opening drive and then kicked a FG, the game would continue into a second OT period.
i was thinking team B had the option to tie it with a FG

flc735 said:
In which scenario?

flc735 said:
You only get a 2nd chance if the opening drive in OT results in a FG. If the kickoff is returned for a TD or the opening drive results in a TD, game over.If the opening drive doesn't result in a score, regular sudden death rules apply.One scenario I haven't heard was if the opening drive results in a safety. I am thinking the game would end at that point.

One scenario I haven't heard was if the opening drive results in a safety. I am thinking the game would end at that point.
This is correct.
Both teams must have the opportunity to possess the ball once during the extra period, unless the team that receives the opening kickoff (Team B) scores a touchdown on its initial possession, in which case it is the winner, or Team A scores a safety on Team B’s initial possession, in which case Team A is the winner.

Users who are viewing this thread