What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Winter Meetings Thread (1 Viewer)

Cardinals might be free agent players, according to an article by the STL Post-Dispatch today. Looking for starting pitching and another lefty reliever to go along with newly-signed Trevor Miller.

This afternoon on SNY, SI.com’s Jon Heyman said, ‘the Mets are very close to signing Francisco Rodriguez.’From what I can gather, Mets GM Omar Minaya and Rodriguez were seen getting coffee together in the lobby of the Bellagio.Basically, as far as I can tell, the two sides agreed in principle yesterday evening on a three-year deal, worth roughly $12 million per season.The group will meet again this afternoon to finalize the deal, after which Rodriguez will need to conduct a physical.My guess is that news will occur later tonight, with some sort of official announcement being made tomorrow morning.
According to WFAN’s Sweeny Murti, the Braves are in serious discussions with the White Sox about bringing Jermaine Dye back to Atlanta, where he began his career 12 years ago.
Jayson Stark of ESPN.com believes the Rays and Twins are discussing a deal that could send Delmon Young back to Tampa, with either Andy Sonnanstine or Edwin Jackson heading to Minnesota. “The Phillies, Mets and Cubs appear to have separated themselves from the pack of teams pursuing outfielder Raul Ibanez,” writes Jayson Stark at ESPN.com.Stark also reports that Scott Boras met with the Dodgers yesterday to discuss bringing free-agent OF Manny Ramirez back to Los Angeles. However, Stark says, ‘The Dodgers did not put their two-year, $45-million contract offer back on the table.’
Accoridng to the Boston Globe, “Milton Bradley is in intense discussions with the Cubs.”
According to Tim Brown, at Yahoo!, “The Texas Rangers are quietly shopping shortstop Michael Young, said an AL executive.”…the buzz from Vegas suggests the Mets and Yankees, among others, have already checked in on young…however, both teams would need to first move their current second baseman…According to Jon Heyman at SI.com, “The Rangers are not shopping Young, but they are willing to listen to overtures on just about anyone.”Heyman reports the Mets, Angels, Dodgers and Royals among teams who have expressed interest in Young, who will earn $80 million over the next five seasons.Brown reports the Rangers are seeking young pitching in any deal for Young, who is batting .300 with a .346 OBP in eight seasons.
The Boston Globe believes the Royals and Braves are close to swapping Jeff Francouer and Zack Greinke.However, the reports adds, “Atlanta was holding up any and all trade discussions until the Braves had a resolution of their pursuit of right-hander A.J. Burnett.”In a related post to MLB Trade Rumors, Tim Dierkes writes, “I’d be surprised to see this happen without the Braves adding significant pitching to their offer for Greinke. But in general I am skeptical that anything like this is close, even given the Burnett contingency. We probably would’ve heard some rumbling from (the Atlanta Journal-Constitution), (MLB.com) or the (Kansas City Star),” among other local newspapers.Francouer hit just .239 with 11 HR in 2008, following a 2007 campaign when hit .293 with 29 HR.Meanwhile, the 25–year-old Grienke is 20–10 with a 3.57 ERA in his last 84 appearances.
The Phillies are working with the Cubs, Padres and possibly the Orioles on a four-team deal, explains the Philadelphia Inquirer.According to the report, “In a proposed multi-team trade, Mark DeRosa would go from the Cubs to the Phillies. The Phillies would send the Cubs a prospect or two, which in turn could be sent to San Diego in a package for pitcher Jake Peavy.”The Chicago Tribune writes, “The Jake Peavy-Cubs trade talks have reached a point where it will be a stunner if the Cubs don’t acquire Peavy.”

Jayson Stark of ESPN.com believes the Rays and Twins are discussing a deal that could send Delmon Young back to Tampa, with either Andy Sonnanstine or Edwin Jackson heading to Minnesota.
Capella just shat himself.

How funny would that be? The Rays get Bartlett, Garza, four years of Delmon Young and that young minor-leaguer for one year of Young and Edwin Jackson. :loco:

Minnesota is not doing that deal.

The Baltimore Orioles have traded catcher Ramon Hernandez to the Cincinnati Reds for outfielder Ryan Freel and a pair of minor leaguers. The rebuilding Orioles also got minor league infielders Justin Turner and Brandon Waring.As part of the deal, Baltimore will give Cincinnati cash to offset part of Hernandez's contract. He is owed $8.5 million next year.
Clears room for Wieters.

The Boston Globe believes the Royals and Braves are close to swapping Jeff Francouer and Zack Greinke.
Why in the world is KC even considering this, even assuming they also get back some young pitching? Francoeur as the centerpiece to any trade involving a potential young stud starter is absolutely absurd to me.

The Boston Globe believes the Royals and Braves are close to swapping Jeff Francouer and Zack Greinke.
Why in the world is KC even considering this, even assuming they also get back some young pitching? Francoeur as the centerpiece to any trade involving a potential young stud starter is absolutely absurd to me.
If that's all it takes to land Greinke, Mozeliak better be on this. St. Louis has a glut of OFers that are at least as good as Francouer. Hell, give two of 'em if it brings back Greinke.

If that's all it takes to land Greinke, Mozeliak better be on this. St. Louis has a glut of OFers that are at least as good as Francouer. Hell, give two of 'em if it brings back Greinke.
One of those OF's better be Duncan.

Duncan to an AL team needs to happen in the next 24-48 hrs. It'll ease everyone's mind..

Duncan to an AL team needs to happen in the next 24-48 hrs. It'll ease everyone's mind..
The Rays need another power-hitting OF. The Cards need a young starter.Rays have Edwin Jackson and Andy Sonnanstine available and the Cards have Chris Duncan available.Get it done, Mozeilak.

Huge grain of salt needed, but the Rays appear to be leading the Milton Bradley "sweepstakes".

Iwamura

Upton

Crawford

Longoria

Pena

Bradley

Navarro

Gross/Perez (RF)

Barlett

Yes please.

MrPhoenix said:
RockNRolen said:
MrPhoenix said:
RockNRolen said:
Michael Brown said:
The Rays need another power-hitting OF. The Cards need a young starter.Rays have Edwin Jackson and Andy Sonnanstine available and the Cards have Chris Duncan available.Get it done, Mozeilak.
I'd go dancing in the streets if we could get E-Jax or Sonny for the big dumb oaf.

The Ghost of Common said:
If the Tribe blows a bunch of cash on Kerry Wood I'm going to vomit.
They need a closer. What else do you think is out there for closers? Borowski makes me vomit when I have him on my fantasy team.
Jensen Lewis was very effective for them down the stretch last year. They decided before the end of the year that they were going after a "name" guy for whatever reason.

The Ghost of Common said:
They need a closer. What else do you think is out there for closers? Borowski makes me vomit when I have him on my fantasy team.
Jensen Lewis was very effective for them down the stretch last year. They decided before the end of the year that they were going after a "name" guy for whatever reason.
Yep, for a cash strapped team spending big money on a closer doesn't seem to make much sense, especially with an in-house guy already there.Maybe my Tigers goggles are clouding my vision, I really want him for a 2 year deal.

Huge grain of salt needed, but the Rays appear to be leading the Milton Bradley "sweepstakes".IwamuraUptonCrawfordLongoriaPenaBradleyNavarroGross/Perez (RF)BarlettYes please.
Bradley really rounds out that lineup. Man, the AL East is going to be fun to watch this season.

Now with K-Rod and CC done, think we can finally speed things up and get more than one signing done per day for the rest of the week??

Wood to the Tribe. Two years with a vesting option year 3.

Link
:popcorn: ETA: FTR I like the signing. The guy is dominant when healthy.

Although, we'll be saying "when healthy" all year long. :rolleyes:
Exactly. The guy is made of paper.
Say a prayer then that he doesn't pass his physical.But for 2 years, and probably not a ton of money, I'd rather have Wood than Hoffman who also wants 2 years.

iSnitch said:
Furcal rejected Oakland's offer of 4 years and 40 million.
Good - I'm still hoping the Dodgers get him back. But not at 4 years considering his injury problems last season.
Oakland has made another 4 year offer...though it's being reported he wants to resign with the Dodgers.
Supposedly the new offer is closer to 4 for $40 million (I think the previous offer was closer to $35-36 million for 4). I don't see the Dodgers going to 4 years on Furcal, so he's got to decide how much he wants to be a Dodger. I think LA would pay $11 or maybe $12 million per year, but with a number of strings attached.

Really stunned that Moyer re-signed for two more years. Seems like it can't get much better than throwing 6 solid innings in a WS game to help the city you grew up in win a WS. :goodposting:

Users who are viewing this thread