What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Witness says Vick thought it was funny when dogs died (1 Viewer)

gianmarco

Footballguy
Vick thought it was funny when dogs died

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) - Michael Vick put family pets in rings with pit bulls and thought it was funny watching the trained killers injure or kill the helpless dogs, a witness told federal investigators during the dogfighting investigation that brought Vick down.

In a 17-page report filed Aug. 28, 2008, by case agent James Knorr of the U.S. Department of Agriculture and released Friday under the Freedom of Information Act, a person identified as confidential witness No. 1 said Vick placed pets in the ring against pit bulls owned by "Bad Newz Kennels" at least twice and watched as the pit bulls "caused major injuries."

The witness said Vick and co-defendants Purnell Peace and Quanis Phillips "thought it was funny to watch the pit bull dogs belonging to Bad Newz Kennels injure or kill the other dogs."

Vick was sentenced to 23 months in prison in Dec. 2007, and is due to be released from the federal prison at Leavenworth, Kan., on July 20, 2009. He returned to Virginia on Thursday and is being held in Hopewell pending his appearance in Surry County Circuit Court on Tuesday, where he is expected to plead guilty to two felony charges but receive a suspended sentence.

The report, which has some names and other information redacted to protect some of the parties involved, also details the killing of several dogs at property Vick owned on Moonlight Road in Surry County in mid-April 2007, just days before the first search warrant was executed on the property, turning a drug investigation into the one that sent Vick to prison.

It says Vick was administered a polygraph test by the FBI in October 2007 and denied taking part in the killing of dogs in mid-April. When told he had failed that part of the test, Vick recanted his story and admitted to helping hang six to eight underperforming dogs.

The former Atlanta Falcons quarterback, once the highest paid player in the NFL, has been suspended indefinitely by the league and his football future is uncertain. He's also in the midst of bankruptcy proceedings with $16 million in assets and $20.4 million in liabilities.

Peace, who also was convicted in the case, said there were times he suggested that dogs unwilling to fight be given away, but that Vick said "they got to go," meaning be killed.

The dogs were killed by shooting, hanging, electrocution and drowning, and in at least one instance, according to one of the witnesses, when Vick and Phillips killed a red pit bull by "slamming it to the ground several times before it died, breaking the dog's back or neck."

When he finally admitted to his role in the dogfighting operation, Vick also said he purchased his first pull bull, named "Champagne," while a student at Virginia Tech in 1999. The dog was never used in fights, but was bred with other dogs, according to the report.

Champagne was among the 53 pit bulls seized from the home in a raid in April 2007.
So, does this hurt his chances to get back in the league?

Not sure how much of this is new info because honestly I didn't follow the story much once it was determined that Vick was an animal abuser/felon.

To answer your question, in the ever so publicity conscious NFL: Can't help???

Last edited by a moderator:
Disgusting. I'm all for people serving their time and having an opportunity to earn a living afterwards. BUT, we will not be carrying the products of any team that signs this guy after he is released

Disgusting. I'm all for people serving their time and having an opportunity to earn a living afterwards. BUT, we will not be carrying the products of any team that signs this guy after he is released
I will disconnect myself from the NFL completely if he is reinstated. And the NFL constitutes a significant portion of my interests and is the only thing I have in common with a number of friends.

I will disconnect myself from the NFL completely if he is reinstated. And the NFL constitutes a significant portion of my interests and is the only thing I have in common with a number of friends.
This adds another layer of disgust to this issue. Perhaps this was already factored into the length of his initial federal sentence. I had not heard of this before. Maybe this is why his sentence appeared harsh to me in comparison with other players who have committed other crimes. Nauseating.

What's disgusting is how much he was lynched in the public and media when other NFL players have done a lot worse yet received a lot less in the way of punishment.

We're one screwed up society.

If the NFL ever reinstates this piece of crap, here is a short list of what I will do in response:

1. I will no longer play fantasy football.

2. I will not watch one second of an NFL game or an NFL highlight show. That includes my favorite team (Colts), even if it's not Indy that signs him. That also includes the Super Bowl, even if Dogkiller's team isn't in it.

3. Anytime I'm watching SportsCenter or any other TV sports show, I will immediately get up and change the channel whenever NFL news of any kind appears.

4. I will no longer read NFL-related message boards such as this one (no offense to footballguys).

5. I will encourage as many others as possible, even if some laugh at me, to follow steps 1, 2, 3 and 4 with me.

I realize the NFL won't give a rat's behind if I do these things. But maybe if several hundred thousand others do it, the league might resist the urge to completely destroy its credibility.

I don't think an NFL football team would want to invite the media circus that would come along with signing Vick. Look at what happened to Barry Bonds, and that was steroids. How many owners want a PETA display outside the stadium every sunday? Well.. Al Davis might sign him.. but that's it.

If the NFL ever reinstates this piece of crap, here is a short list of what I will do in response:1. I will no longer play fantasy football.2. I will not watch one second of an NFL game or an NFL highlight show. That includes my favorite team (Colts), even if it's not Indy that signs him. That also includes the Super Bowl, even if Dogkiller's team isn't in it.3. Anytime I'm watching SportsCenter or any other TV sports show, I will immediately get up and change the channel whenever NFL news of any kind appears.4. I will no longer read NFL-related message boards such as this one (no offense to footballguys).5. I will encourage as many others as possible, even if some laugh at me, to follow steps 1, 2, 3 and 4 with me.I realize the NFL won't give a rat's behind if I do these things. But maybe if several hundred thousand others do it, the league might resist the urge to completely destroy its credibility.
I call shenanigans. You might be able to do it for a season or two but you won't keep up that nonsense forever. That's just stupid. Even worse, it's downright insulting. I love my dog. I've lived my whole life with canines but you guys are absolutely ridiculous and way overboard when you start thinking Vick is anywhere close to the worse the NFL has to offer. Get a clue and start hating the REAL scumbags.

If the NFL ever reinstates this piece of crap, here is a short list of what I will do in response:1. I will no longer play fantasy football.2. I will not watch one second of an NFL game or an NFL highlight show. That includes my favorite team (Colts), even if it's not Indy that signs him. That also includes the Super Bowl, even if Dogkiller's team isn't in it.3. Anytime I'm watching SportsCenter or any other TV sports show, I will immediately get up and change the channel whenever NFL news of any kind appears.4. I will no longer read NFL-related message boards such as this one (no offense to footballguys).5. I will encourage as many others as possible, even if some laugh at me, to follow steps 1, 2, 3 and 4 with me.I realize the NFL won't give a rat's behind if I do these things. But maybe if several hundred thousand others do it, the league might resist the urge to completely destroy its credibility.
That'll show 'em. :hifive:

Vick certainly feels no remorse for what he did to those dogs, and he never will. The taxpayers simply fed and housed this POS for the last year. He is a thug wannabe and always will be.

Would I stop watching NFL if he returns? NO

Would I stop playing FF? NO

Would I have him on my FF team? YES

Would I secretly wish harm to him, even if he was on my team? YES, unless I am starting him in our SB.

I realize there are many NFL players that have done horrible things, but I separate real from fantasy when it comes to FF. Heck, I'd draft Charles Manson and Adolf Hitler if they were NFL studs!

:bye: You will be right there every Sunday, Monday, and Thursday with your food of choice, beer, and jersey like always. Whatever. :hifive:

Vick certainly feels no remorse for what he did to those dogs, and he never will. The taxpayers simply fed and housed this POS for the last year. He is a thug wannabe and always will be.Would I stop watching NFL if he returns? NOWould I stop playing FF? NOWould I have him on my FF team? YESWould I secretly wish harm to him, even if he was on my team? YES, unless I am starting him in our SB.I realize there are many NFL players that have done horrible things, but I separate real from fantasy when it comes to FF. Heck, I'd draft Charles Manson and Adolf Hitler if they were NFL studs!
:lmao: This pretty much sums up my feelings as well. I'll never understand the appeal of fighting dogs, but he has served his time. Those who say they will stop watching football if Vick gets back in should just pack up your bags now. There are already 1 or 2 players in the NFL who have taken a human life and your still here playing FF and watching the games...

Interesting that killing dogs would cause some fans to boycott the NFL if he was reinstated...but abusing your wife or girlfriend is something fans can get over. Who here is boycotting the NFL over Jerramy Stevens? How about Michael Pittman? This really is a screwed-up society.

Just admit that we separate what players do and their performance on the field. The "I'm gonna punish the NFL 'cause Vick killed dogs" schtick is a bit hypocritical imo...unles you think it's worse to kill dogs than abuse women. I can't imagine that anyone here believes that.

FAIL

Yet right now you're ok with the NFL even though guys like Jerramy Stevens, Leonard Little, Pacman Jones, and Chris Henry are still playing.

Just awful. I don't know that he'll be rehabilitated after his time. I could be way off, but if I were Commish and I read the details he would definitely recieve more time off before being reinstated.

:wub: i cant believe you still have to get up to change your channel....remote down???

What's disgusting is how much he was lynched in the public and media when other NFL players have done a lot worse yet received a lot less in the way of punishment.

Who has done worse? Leonard Little, maybe, but I don't think Little went out with the intent on getting into an accident. Who has done worse than Mike Vick?

Rae Carruth is currently serving a life sentence and he's the only one i can think of who did something as mean spirited as Mike Vick.

Yet right now you're ok with the NFL even though guys like Jerramy Stevens, Leonard Little, Pacman Jones, and Chris Henry are still playing.
I can't remember what Stevens did, can someone remind me?Leonard Little was involved in an accident and while he went out driving drunk again it can happen where people do stupid things while under the influence and not have a cold heart, it's called addiction.Not sure what crime Chris Henry did thats anywhere close to what Mike Vick did, from what I recall all of Henrys crimes were nowhere near as bad as what Vick did.Pacman should be banned for life already, you should only get so many chances, with that said i'd have no problem with Chris Henry being banned for life but Pacman deserves a perma ban more. I'm in the camp where I may just boycott the NFL if Vick is allowed back, Goodell might get the point if enough people boycott, he's not a stupid man.

If the NFL ever reinstates this piece of crap, here is a short list of what I will do in response:

1. I will no longer play fantasy football.

2. I will not watch one second of an NFL game or an NFL highlight show. That includes my favorite team (Colts), even if it's not Indy that signs him. That also includes the Super Bowl, even if Dogkiller's team isn't in it.

3. Anytime I'm watching SportsCenter or any other TV sports show, I will immediately get up and change the channel whenever NFL news of any kind appears.

4. I will no longer read NFL-related message boards such as this one (no offense to footballguys).

5. I will encourage as many others as possible, even if some laugh at me, to follow steps 1, 2, 3 and 4 with me.

I realize the NFL won't give a rat's behind if I do these things. But maybe if several hundred thousand others do it, the league might resist the urge to completely destroy its credibility.
I can't remember what Stevens did, can someone remind me?Leonard Little was involved in an accident and while he went out driving drunk again it can happen where people do stupid things while under the influence and not have a cold heart, it's called addiction.

Not sure what crime Chris Henry did thats anywhere close to what Mike Vick did, from what I recall all of Henrys crimes were nowhere near as bad as what Vick did.

Pacman should be banned for life already, you should only get so many chances, with that said i'd have no problem with Chris Henry being banned for life but Pacman deserves a perma ban more.

I'm in the camp where I may just boycott the NFL if Vick is allowed back, Goodell might get the point if enough people boycott, he's not a stupid man.
Assault and rape, for starters....

Who has done worse? Leonard Little, maybe, but I don't think Little went out with the intent on getting into an accident.
:no: You do know his BAC was twice the league limit right?

Who has done worse? Leonard Little, maybe, but I don't think Little went out with the intent on getting into an accident.
Exactly, meaning his mental status was altered.Once when i was 22 and drunk, I picked a fight with a guy who had 8 inches and 100 pounds on me and got demolished. If i was sober i wouldn't have picked a fight with a person i know would mop the floor with me.

Who has done worse? Leonard Little, maybe, but I don't think Little went out with the intent on getting into an accident. Who has done worse than Mike Vick?

Rae Carruth is currently serving a life sentence and he's the only one i can think of who did something as mean spirited as Mike Vick.
http://www.firejerramystevens.com/rapsheet.htm
High School Years - A Thurston County sheriff's captain, in a written report, said Stevens may have "a propensity toward violence." In high school, the report said, Stevens and another student allegedly punched holes in a classroom wall: "We are told the school learned of the vandalism and quietly permitted payment of the damage." The sheriff's office heard that Stevens violated school rules on alcohol and marijuana; kicked a football teammate in the ####; and threatened referees in a basketball game after he was ejected for being too aggressive on the court.

Spring of 1998 - Stevens showed up at a prearranged fight in a park. There, his friend hit a 17-year-old, James Hoover, in the head with a baseball bat. After Hoover collapsed - unconscious - Stevens jumped up and stomped on his face. Hoover's jaw was broken. For six weeks, he ate with a straw. Stevens initially lied to police saying he was not present at the fight.

Spring of 1998 - Stevens was allowed to await trial for felony assault, wearing an electronic monitoring device. Stevens soon tested positive for marijuana, violating the terms of his home confinement. As a result, he spent three weeks in the Thurston County jail.

June 3, 2000 - 19 year old virgin freshman attends a party where she has two drinks (after three beers over dinner). Stevens was also at the party. The last beer was hended to her already opened. After that, she remembered next to nothing.

June 4, 2000 - 3 am, UW student called 911 to report a possible rape in progress. He stated that she looked drugged or drunk: "Half passed out ... eyes glazed ... no one home."

June 4th, 2000 - Noon, the 19 year old woke up at the Pi Beta Phi sorority. She had a headache, stomach pain, sore ribs, scratched legs. She could barely move. Her bra and tube top were around her waist and covered in dirt. Her underwear was missing. At the same time, Stevens was showing the underwear to his roomates saying, "Look what I have."

July 27, 2000 - Jerramy Stevens arrested on suspicion of rape.

July 28, 2000 - Jerramy Stevens released without charges - prosecuters claimed they needed more time to review evidence.

October 19, 2000 - Jeremy Stevens' truck slams into a father and daughter driving home from seeing their daughter/sister in the hospital. Stevens got out of his truck, leaned against it and called something like, "Is everybody OK?" Then he climbed back into his truck and drove away - offering no name, no phone number, no insurance card. The daughter memorized the license plate number. The pickup's driver had been "driving like a maniac," one witness would say later...

October 24, 2000 - The memory loss suffered by the [rape] accuser complicated the investigation, Maleng said. To prove rape, prosecutors needed to show that Marie had been physically helpless or mentally incapable of consent. The evidence showed neither, Maleng said. No charged would be brought.

October 25, 2000 - Stevens was cited for driving too fast for conditions. In Washington a driver involved in an accident must remain at the scene; provide his name, address and insurance information; and, if someone's hurt, try to help. Failure to do so amounts to hit-and-run. Why was Stevens only given a ticket?!

May 4, 2001 - Stevens slammed the red Toyota pickup into the side of a retirement home, knocking a dresser onto a bed where a 92-year-old woman was sleeping. His truck was stuck, so he used his school textbooks for traction, putting them under the tires. Then he drove off - but not before a 72-year-old man took down his license plate. Stevens initially lied (again) to the police saying he did not know who was driving the truck.

A month later, Stevens pleaded guilty to hit-and-run and received a 90-day jail sentence, suspended on condition that he stay out of trouble.

Winter, 2002 - Jerramy Stevens was ticketed by a State Tropper for driving 98mph.

Spring 2002 - A trooper pulled Stevens over after he veered into oncoming traffic. Stevens, who had alcohol on his breath, blew a 0.051 — below the legal limit of 0.08. He was cited for negligent driving and paid a $490 fine.

April 2003 - Stevens was pulled over with empty containers in his SUV. He lied to police (again) saying he had not been drinking, he could not walk a straight line and his blood alcohol level was almost twice the legal level. Stevens was charged with reckless driving, NOT DUI !!

One of the conditions of the deal was for Stevens to attend two AA meetings per week. (JUST TWO HOURS!) Stevens' attorney complained that twice-weekly AA meetings ordered by the judge conflicted with Stevens' football schedule. The judge knocked the requirement down to once a week!

2003 - The alleged rape victim sued Stevens, the UW and the fraternity, Sigma Chi, where she believed she'd been slipped a date-rape drug.

2004 - Stevens was again arrested on suspicion of rape.

June 2004 - In the spring of 2004, the lawsuit was settled. The agreement was confidential, barring Roe and Marie from disclosing its terms. But in a letter to the UW's attorney - obtained through a public-records request - Hunsinger described part of the deal. The agreement allowed the UW to be dismissed from the case, while Stevens and the fraternity would settle. The deal also allowed Stevens to avoid questions about what happened on that June night four years before. "One of the elements of the settlement is that Jerramy not be required to participate in any other litigation involving the UW, specifically the lawsuits filed by [Roe] regarding Eric Shyne and Roc Alexander," Hunsinger wrote. "He does not want to be contacted by anyone, let alone deposed, or testify at trial." A month later, in June 2004, Hunsinger sent Roe a check - for $300,000 - to settle the case on behalf of Stevens and the fraternity.

March 2006 - Stevens caught driving with a suspended license. Charges were never filed.

April 2006 - Stevens caught driving on a suspended license AGAIN! He was convicted of a misdemeanor and sentenced to 90 days in jail - all suspended, on condition that he stay out of trouble for a year

March 2007 - Stevens caught and convicted of DUI. His blood-alcohol level registered at 0.204 percent, 2 ½ times the legal limit. He had drifted over the lane marker three times.

Exactly, meaning his mental status was altered.Once when i was 22 and drunk, I picked a fight with a guy who had 8 inches and 100 pounds on me and got demolished. If i was sober i wouldn't have picked a fight with a person i know would mop the floor with me.
Making excuses for your own choices.

So it's ok that he killed a man because he was drunk? Would you feel the same way if the person he killed was a family member of yours? I'm nearly speechless at the stupidity of the argument that you are attemtping to make here.

Did you kill him like Little did when he was driving drunk?

So it's ok that he killed a man because he was drunk? Would you feel the same way if the person he killed was a family member of yours? I'm nearly speechless at the stupidity of the argument that you are attemtping to make here.
:no:

I don't even know if I want to get in to this with you. You are obviously making excusses for Drunk Drivers. This man took a mother and wife away from a family.

I love how I'm getting piled on and it seems everyone missed the point, maybe i'm tired and not explaining myself well, it's only 6:30am here.

I'm not defending Little, saying his crime was not a crime or a big crime.

My point is Leonard Little didn't wake up and say to himself "I am going to go out and kill a person today".

Mike Vick did wake up and say "I am going to kills some dogs today, I am going to watch them fight to the death and if they don't die I am going to take part in electrocuting them or drowning them or hanging them by a rope and lynch them or maybe I'll grab the dog and hold it by its feet and smash its head into the concrete.

My point is Mike Vick has a bad heart, Mike Vick is a cold person.

And now to the guy who asked if it was a family member, my brother who was 1 year younger than me was killed by a drunk driver at the age of 17. He went to a football game with a few friends on a Friday night and didn't realize his buddy who was driving was drunk, reports said his friend raced another car down a steep hill exceeding 120 MPH. My brother was the only one who died. I was very angry for a long time and still affected by it, I don't believe the driver picked my brother up and had the intent on killing him. I hope this makes sense, if it doesn't then I am truly too tired to type.

Really Dog fighting is the same as a guy having his pregnant girlfriend murdered.........REALLY....

We knew Vick pitted his dogs against helpless dogs to train them for the real thing. The only revelation here is that he laughed while so doing. I'm not sure his laughter aggravates the callousness of his actions since he had to have a depraved heart to do what he did, but I appreciate the refreshed outrage of those who think differently.

I am not one to try to mitigate Vick's actions by pointing out that others are guilty of worst matters. That road seems to me the road to damnation. Do those who cite that type of argument really think then that we must prioritize all evil and condem evil only from the top down? What if we can't agree on the ultimate evil, are we stalemated? No, that's not the road for me.

Vick is a piece of ####. He has, or will have, paid his debt to society. Whether society re-welcomes him is society's business. Some think society must, I disagree. I think society can shun folks for their criminal past. I do believe, however, that Vick will get a second act in the NFL. I doubt it will be as the face of a franchise at Q.B. as that is too much risk for most owners. I do believe, however, that he will find employment from at least one unprincipaled ####### of an owner (read Davis, Jones, Snyder) as a kick returner/W.R. or a R.B. in a wildcat situation. There are those whose only principle is winning, they do not factor in the cost of their loss of humanity. (that ought to bring out vitriol)

I think, no make that know, that Vick is a P.O.S. I would be very comfortable if the NFL shunned him. I do not believe that they will, unless he has lost his speed. I did pick him up this year in both of my dynasty leagues. I did so in week 5 for the minimum bid. If he eventually presents value I would be happier to trade that value so that he is not on my roster. Still, I could not ignore value, even from one such as he with zero value as a person.

Really Dog fighting is the same as a guy having your pregnant girlfriend murdered.........REALLY....
Like I said before I am tired, so sorry about my grammar and not choosing my words better. What Ray Carruth did was ALOT WORSE than what Mike Vick did. Rae Carruth is on a totally different level. I hope your happy for catching my bad choice of words. Thanks for piling on everyone. :rolleyes:

Really Dog fighting is the same as a guy having your pregnant girlfriend murdered.........REALLY....
You really can;t see that that statement means equal to or greater, or in this case "as mean spirited or more mean spirited"......REALLY...

You really can;t see that that statement means equal to or greater, or in this case "as mean spirited or more mean spirited"......REALLY...
Sorry I don't use "mean spirited" to describe murder......EVEREdit to say: or compare Murder to dog fighting...sorry

There is no doubt that killing a human being is worse than killing a dog.

However, in terms of a person's character, what matters is intent to do harm. Someone who is thoughtless or reckless is to blame for his actions, but not as much as someone who intended to do harm.

If Vick had merely bankrolled the operation, he would not have been held to such a standard of accountability. But the fact that he participated in, and enjoyed the deliberate cruelty involved in dogfighting, is what makes him despicable in most people's eyes. This latest evidence of his enjoying the wounding and maiming of family pets by pit bulls is merely more evidence of a despicable character.

The man has a depraved heart. Whether women, dogs, his fellow man , or the truth, he treats all with disdain. May we value some of these above the others, certainly. Does he, no. His depraved heart allows all things others hold dear to have the same value, none.

I would be lying to myself if I said I wouldn't watch the NFL if Vick did get reinstated right away, because I watched the the Bucs game last week in spite of Jeramy Stevens being on that team, and he is a huge scumbag. There are bad people in the world, and some of them play in the NFL. Whether or not I participate in FF will have no bearing on how long Stevens has a job or Vick stays suspended. There are checks in place to bounce people when they're bad, a la Pacman and Henry, who aren't the worst offenders the league has seen.

It's not a perfect system, but few are.

I can understand being disapointed if the NFL lets Vick back in, but calling for a Boycott is too much. Do you boycott every institution that employess scumbags? Didn't think so. So why the hold the NFL to a higher standard?

I'd like to see poll results on this...the punishment seems excessive to me.

There are several cultural implications to this...a lot of black leaders have voiced their concern regarding the topic. Additionally, remember that in some parts of the world people actually eat dogs, in latin America cockfighting is widespread, bullfighting is the epicenter of Spanish culture. I don't support any of those activities, but my point is that this is very much a cultural issue. I at least understand those arguing for Vick...I'm certain a year in prison has sent the message to Vick and all other dogfighters. Do wee really need to incarcerate him for several more years?

Mike Vick had unprotected sex when he knew he had herpes and infected a young woman, Vick broke the necks of under performing dogs, put family pets in a ring with dogs trained to kill. Plyus all of his other escapades over the years.

The man is trash.

Most of you guys are missing Chachi's point.

Nobody is saying Little, Pacman, Stevens, etc. . . are great human beings. Little's death-causing action, for example, is beyond stupid.

But none of them killed intentionally. (I have a feeling Pacman will someday, but that's another story.)

Anyway, I stick by my claim that I will stage a one-person boycott of all things NFL if Vick is reinstated. If you think I'm overreacting or think I won't do it, well, I'm a big-time animal lover. I'm a 6-foot-1, 235-pound longtime competitive powerlifter who happens to be an animal lover. So call me names. I dare you.

I'm also very stubborn. So I won't change my mind on this. If nobody else on this board wants to join me, so be it. I'll go it alone.

ETA: And to whoever brought up Carruth, when did the NFL reinstate him after he was convicted?

That's what I thought.

Users who are viewing this thread