What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Work Issue relationship advised needed after a situation I wasn't involved but was told about (1 Viewer)

DJackson10

Footballguy
So I started dated this girl younger then me at work. I'm 34 she's about to be 22 next month. We were kind of friends already worked in produce she cut fruit and veggies makes party trey's etc. We have this guy who works with us 6Os shows up but is absolute garbage. Does cocaine constantly and my boss somewhat protects him and my store manager. He's been transferred out twice when my produce manager was bumped out only to come back when my produce manager was brought back. This was before I got into the department. He also says a lot of inappropriate stuff on the floor unprofessional cursing making homophobic or racially charged comments etc. He's a short guy with a Napoleon complex bragging how he has over 35 yrs and what a great job he does even though he doesn't. He also tries to hit on every girl and has checked out their butt's etc. He's been told about this in the past and he's made a few cut fruit girls uncomfortable in the past where they ended up quitting. One girl who came back my produce boss reemed him out pretty good for some inappropriate behavior towards her He also acts like your friend while there but talks massive **** behind your back and will try to blame you when he gets in trouble. I don't care about that and it's consider the source.

Either way before work yesterday I brought my gf lunch as I came in early to do some testing simple further education BS for the company so I came in early and brought her lunch. She told me about him while putting away our delivery in the cooler she walked through to grab stuff they use in the prep room. Our prep room and coolers are connected for easy access in our department. At one point he apparently put some candy bar or something in her back pocket so he definitely copped a feel. I could tell she was a bit uncomfortable about the whole ordeal. I took my test and went to the department. My Back up manager over there was working as our boss took PTO. He kind of told me a few things he saw and today mentioned if I were me I'd be in the cooler and just knock him out. I told him I'd have a word with the guy prior and said I should mention something to our boss before I said anything. He told me this is my issue and he wasn't going to get involved. When my girlfriend dropped me and my other coworker coffee off I asked her about 3 times if she was going to tell our boss or if she wanted me too or do it together. She said she didn't want too. I mentioned it to her again briefly today and she said she was still trying to get that image out of her head. Clearly something happened I just don't know what and she really won't explain it too me. She also doesn't want me saying anything to either of them but I told her if it happens again I'm telling both of them and probably punching the guy for good measure. Like I said he's had repeated behavior for this but there's no documentation and our word vs his.

Either way I feel I need to do something now. I feel like if I sit back he will think it's ok. She's also too nice and won't say anything to him. My back up said he wouldn't say anything for now about the situation. The dude overall is an ******* but he's one I can deal with over others at work. He's been bad at times and I feel like his behavior is worse because he never gets a write up or suspension for anything. My Produce manager and Store Manager seem to enable the behavior by not disciplining here. I've felt a few times just calling the 1-8OO anonymous associate # and telling them what this guy does get him fired without personally dealing with anyone. But then I remember well Karma. If I do this it might look great but could come back and bite me in the *** as well. Also I'd be number 1 Suspect to many as I'm next in line for the guys position. I should also mention where this apparently happened there is no cameras

If anyone has any advice I'd appreciate it. I've gone through in my head before in the past if a situation like this happened what I'd do but now it's more of a well I'm not sure if I should say have my new GF mad at me or let it go and then something happens again?

Are you saying that your GF will be mad at you if you bring this situation to the attention of management? Why is that? You didn't witness the incident, right? I understand that she is young and might need help standing up for herself but if you didn't witness it, how can you really address the problem without her?

It sounds like this old dude is testing the water. He likes to flirt and see what kind of responses he gets. I hope your GF doesn't like to party because if she enjoyed the candy, he is going to be offering her coke soon.

Is Pathmark still around in the northeast? What about Shoprite?
What’s the most sold fruit?
What’s the most sold vegetable?
How many different apple varieties do you carry?
Yeah, don’t date a coworker.
I really appreciate the prewashed broccoli in the microwaveable bag. Great invention by mankind there.

Are you saying that your GF will be mad at you if you bring this situation to the attention of management? Why is that? You didn't witness the incident, right? I understand that she is young and might need help standing up for herself but if you didn't witness it, how can you really address the problem without her?

It sounds like this old dude is testing the water. He likes to flirt and see what kind of responses he gets. I hope your GF doesn't like to party because if she enjoyed the candy, he is going to be offering her coke soon.

Yes didn't witness it but another coworker my back up manager over there did witness a few things. I don't think she feels comfortable letting him know about it though

No this guy more or less has zero idea on boundaries. This is a guy who him and his brother live in their mother's house with mortgage already pay and literally party every night. His son lives there for now but has a very nice construction job and I think he'll be moving out. His daughter is maybe 2 yrs older then my GF and has 2 kids that my coworker never sees and she wants nothing to do with him. Her mom his ex was a big addict herself and OD'd I want to say 5-6 yrs after I started there. The dude is a scumbag all together. Like I already posted he should've been fired like a decade ago.

Serious advice: do not punch him under pretty much any circumstances. He's in the wrong, but you're an adult, and if you punch somebody at work it's likely the police will be called and you could be arrested and/or charged with assault. It's not worth it.

Report him to HR if you believe his conduct is egregious enough and you have the proof.

There is no such thing as karma, and it sounds like you work at a terrible place if someone is allowed to make racially charged and homophobic comments and keep his job.

This is literally place we tell the management in the morning what happens at night and they act like nothing goes on despite the fact the person in charge at night is at a hearing for multiple incidents involving theft and such at least once every 3 weeks. We got bought by another company but our old Company the Assistant Store Manager worked 2 nights a week. The Grocery Manager worked 2 nights a week and the PIC or Person In Charge at night worked 3 Usually Sun Fri and WEDNESDAY. We also have an Intern there but with our company our Intern Managers spend a week with every department so they know what goes on for when they become Assistiants and then eventually get their own stores.

My PIC btw I told before taking the position not to despite Full Time. people told me to apply but exactly what I told them would happen happened to my PIC. Dude is 25 gets screwed over constantly never any help, gets reamed by my Store Manager constantly and they take advantage of him and his help. The old PIC had a ton of help and him and my now PIC both use to sit in the back and just watch Hockey or whatever. I do feel bad for the guy as he has no help and the dude has a huge drinking problem now. He looks like he could commit harry Carey any moment.

The women who ran our front end registers and such at night got demoted from that and CSA because people didn't like how she acted. I will say she could've talked to a few people better but she was what we needed at night. Nice and strict but understanding. We had too many soft people and people who didn't like the fact they couldn't get away with murder report her to the extent they just didn't want to deal with complaints. I worked last night and my coworker left 45 mins before he was suppose too. Also found out him and another guy were in my beer and wine department where we have TVs watching the baseball playoffs not working. I told my boss about it which he was PO'd he left early but the other stuff I brought up then he brings up stuff I did wrong. This is how they work there. It's more of worry about yourself not what others do. I'm going to worry about what others do when I do what they did once and I get in trouble but they do it constantly and nothing.

Our cart people just sit outside on their phones all day barely doing any work. My Store Manager doesn't want to say anything to them because he's afraid if he does they will quite and its hard to find help. Thats what my Assistant Store Manager told me. My ASM when he first got there was trying to solve issues. Now he's like F it because he realizes nothing will get done.

I'm dealing with another health issue at worked I've talked about here already I'm going to my store manager about that if someone keeps going after me and doesn't do anything I'm going to HR. So yeah total ****show. I'm at the point where I'm probably going to start looking for another job and after I find one put in my 2 weeks. When they ask why I'm leaving I'm just going tell them everything. I just need to find something that pays me the same our more for travel expenses with benefits.

Serious advice: do not punch him under pretty much any circumstances. He's in the wrong, but you're an adult, and if you punch somebody at work it's likely the police will be called and you could be arrested and/or charged with assault. It's not worth it.

Report him to HR if you believe his conduct is egregious enough and you have the proof.

We really weren't being serious but if I did and the cops came I'd just tell them to check his person and then his car because he's got a drug emporium of you name it in his trunk. Enough to get him possession and intent to sell. The dude is lucky he isn't in jail already. He constantly steals as well.

I know what you are saying though. But I think my assistant manager was making a point of how wrong his behavior was that if we were at a bar or another public non work place his behavior would've warrant me reacting that way is what I think he was getting at. I don't have actual proof but I know if I said anything about it he'd go up and say yeah this is what I saw.

We really weren't being serious but if I did and the cops came I'd just tell them to check his person and then his car because he's got a drug emporium of you name it in his trunk. Enough to get him possession and intent to sell. The dude is lucky he isn't in jail already. He constantly steals as well.

I know what you are saying though. But I think my assistant manager was making a point of how wrong his behavior was that if we were at a bar or another public non work place his behavior would've warrant me reacting that way is what I think he was getting at. I don't have actual proof but I know if I said anything about it he'd go up and say yeah this is what I saw.
Why do you think the bold would get you out of being arrested for assault? Law enforcement can just arrest the both of you. Also, law enforcement likely needs more than the assailant's claim to search a victim's trunk.

Why do you think the bold would get you out of being arrested for assault? Law enforcement can just arrest the both of you. Also, law enforcement likely needs more than the assailant's claim to search a victim's trunk.

I got at least people I know who work there 2 in that department including my actual department manager who would also make the claim. One thing I forgot to mention is when this guy works at night he brags about doing drugs to some of the younger coworkers including those under 18. I've told my boss this numerious times including him willingly saying he can bring stuff in for them. Even said he's lucky one of these kids wasn't caught with anything or said anything their parent knew about who would come storming into the store. I know if that was my kid and found out some ******* who's over 55 is talking to my kid at work about drugs Id be in there so fast they'd think I was on fire demanding this dude be arrested and terminated on the spot. This is the type of this guy is. My Deli manager's husband use to work for the company and got fired for being lazy no showing work at his store. Thing is he's also a coke addict and this guys dealer. My Manager and our District manager have been friends with the guy forever always protected him. After we got bought out only so much we could do. Not even sure if my deli manager knows what exactly her husband does with this guy.

The worst part is a lot of us have tried to help this guy at least get rid of his addiction or get some help etc but he's **** on our hand. I live in PA so my company or my Boss could randomly ask this guy for a drug test one day. He would fail miserable. He was out with some health issue. Went for a colonoscopy a few yrs back DR found something. They did surgery on him removed half his intestine. Was told to be on a strict diet doesn't do that and the cocaine and such he does doesn't help. DR F'd up surgery he almost died. To put it this way if you ever saw Shameless think of a 5-2 fake Protestant Frank Gallagher.

Don't report him on your girlfriend's behalf. It sucks that he gets away with this stuff, but that's her battle to fight, and if she doesn't want to report it you should respect her decision.

Also, it sounds like a totally dysfunctional workplace, so you should only report something if it's 100% buttoned up. Like you saw a clear violation of office rules/the law and you have documented proof. Otherwise, it sounds like management will look for a way to sweep this under the rug.

Agree with others that you should start looking for a new job, both to get away from this toxic environment and so that you're no longer dating your coworker. Then again, if you drag her into a sexual-harassment complaint against her will she'll probably break up with you

Yes didn't witness it but another coworker my back up manager over there did witness a few things. I don't think she feels comfortable letting him know about it though

No this guy more or less has zero idea on boundaries. This is a guy who him and his brother live in their mother's house with mortgage already pay and literally party every night. His son lives there for now but has a very nice construction job and I think he'll be moving out. His daughter is maybe 2 yrs older then my GF and has 2 kids that my coworker never sees and she wants nothing to do with him. Her mom his ex was a big addict herself and OD'd I want to say 5-6 yrs after I started there. The dude is a scumbag all together. Like I already posted he should've been fired like a decade ago.
The back up manager should address whatever he witnessed. It sounds like he is too immature for his position.

I wouldn't bug your GF too much about this candy thing. If she wants your support, then give it to her. If you ignore her wishes and make more of this situation than she wants, you'll probably be without a GF.

Don't report him on your girlfriend's behalf. It sucks that he gets away with this stuff, but that's her battle to fight, and if she doesn't want to report it you should respect her decision.

Also, it sounds like a totally dysfunctional workplace, so you should only report something if it's 100% buttoned up. Like you saw a clear violation of office rules/the law and you have documented proof. Otherwise, it sounds like management will look for a way to sweep this under the rug.

Agree with others that you should start looking for a new job, both to get away from this toxic environment and so that you're no longer dating your coworker. Then again, if you drag her into a sexual-harassment complaint against her will she'll probably break up with you
Exactly. So before punching your co-worker, you should buy some drugs from him. That way, when the police are called about the assault and you point them towards his drug emporium on wheels, in case the unwarranted search of his car comes up empty, you can tell the cops, "Don't worry, I have some of his drugs in my car."

Exactly. So before punching your co-worker, you should buy some drugs from him. That way, when the police are called about the assault and you point them towards his drug emporium on wheels, in case the unwarranted search of his car comes up empty, you can tell the cops, "Don't worry, I have some of his drugs in my car."
I think the shark move is to plant a caprese salad that you bought from a local refrigeration company in his car.

Think you have a bigger issue of needing to do something with your life, some kind of career path. Stay at an entry level type job past a certain age and this stuff is what you’re going to be dealing with. High school type drama, older losers, management who doesn’t give a damn etc.
Respectfully, I'm not sure we know about the OP to make this sort of suggestion. For all we know he's doing the best he can and his life path is his to go down.

I do think we know enough to suggest he not punch a coworker.

Last edited:
Think you have a bigger issue of needing to do something with your life, some kind of career path. Stay at an entry level type job past a certain age and this stuff is what you’re going to be dealing with. High school type drama, older losers, management who doesn’t give a damn etc.
Respectfully, I'm not sure we know about the OP to make this sort of suggestion. For all we know he's doing the best he can and his life path is his to go down.

I do think we know enough to suggest he not punched a coworker.
He’s pretty much an open book on these boards. It’s basically the same complaints about his job and employer rinse and repeat. Either do something to change the situation or stop complaining about it. I get what you’re saying though.

He’s pretty much an open book on these boards. It’s basically the same complaints about his job and employer rinse and repeat. Either do something to change the situation or stop complaining about it. I get what you’re saying though.
In fairness to him, I think he's also been pretty open about any medical/personal issues that I won't mention out of respect for him. Based on what he has shared, I think it's great he's in the work force.

In fairness to him, I think he's also been pretty open about any medical/personal issues that I won't mention out of respect for him. Based on what he has shared, I think it's great he's in the work force.
I’m aware of those as well. It doesn’t change my opinion that he should get away from this place and find something with more future growth for himself.

Obviously if this guy is actually harassing a young girl (And no reason to believe that he isn't), making racist/homophobic comments, bringing drugs into the workplace, etc......those are serious issues that need to be addressed. And management is opening themselves up to significant liability if they're ignoring this and/or brushing it under the rug.

This goes beyond the normal grocery store/entry level drama (boss wont approve my vacation days, they're making me work in a different department, customers are being mean) that our GB DJax usually brings to the table.

But yeah, big props to DJax for holding down something steady for as long as he has. I know not everyone in his position (or even people without some of the challenges that he faces) has the ability/desire to do that.

DJax, I mean this in good faith.

Based on your posts here your judgment about coworker interactions is suspect in general, and your GF is an adult. You can encourage her to go through HR if she really wants to tackle this head on (seems like a good idea as you lay it out), but IMO you should let her handle this and support her if that's the choice she makes.

The back up manager should address whatever he witnessed. It sounds like he is too immature for his position.

I wouldn't bug your GF too much about this candy thing. If she wants your support, then give it to her. If you ignore her wishes and make more of this situation than she wants, you'll probably be without a GF.

He's a few yrs older then me went to HS with him for a year as he was 3 grades above me. He's held management jobs before at CVS and other places. I will say he's a decent guy but ever since getting the back up spot he kind of gets on a power trip at times. A few of my coworkers have said something about it too. Whenever our department boss is away he ended up staying extra hours claims a lot of work with a full timer not here. Sometimes I believe it other times I think he's just skimming time. He was a bit chummy with the Floral girl who's about 18-19 and likes older guys think she liked me till I told her that my co department head was older. A few times the girls cutting would tell me he came in late while my boss wasn't there and when this girl was here and her boss was on vacation when our boss was both were sneaking outside and such a lot leaving me and others to do the work.

Everyone told me to do something about and tell our boss because he'd believe me more than others. I'd defend him to a certain point though it was like I wanted to say to him WTF you ain't helping and I can't defend you anymore. The guy in question against my GF hates this guys guts. We call him Plankton from Spongebob because he's literally like the character. Wishes death on my co-manager. Either way I did tell my boss and I guess he did address it as I didn't see it happening as much after. But yeah at times he gets on a power trip. I think sometimes he unintentional is made at me and just upset in general. But yeah theres a ton of people here holding down positions of power who are immature for it.

Obviously if this guy is actually harassing a young girl (And no reason to believe that he isn't), making racist/homophobic comments, bringing drugs into the workplace, etc......those are serious issues that need to be addressed. And management is opening themselves up to significant liability if they're ignoring this and/or brushing it under the rug.

Like I stated above his buddy who deals he coke to him lost his job in the company because he was using so much he wasn't showing up for work but it hasn't effected his daily home life or him functioning to a degree like it has my coworker who has health problems that any good dr would figure out is from his insane drug use and all. And as I also said my District manager, store manager and other higher ups knew about his dealers issues and hid them for yrs. So they had a close call once already. Honestly if he does anything again to my GF I'll just anonymously report him to the employee hotline. Tell them about the issues and that my Store Manager who's been there for yrs and other management have set these issues under a rug for yrs. I know we can't use any examples of our old company as they are no longer around and went bankrupt and got bought by my current company. I can just simple let them know this has been going on since then and if something isn't done they could end up dealing with legal issues they do not want to deal with if something came out publicly or god forbid he gives some kid the drugs and they go out and harm themselves or others.

Reason they keep the guy around is he's a body, shows up and never calls out. Now if he wasn't showing up all the time I think my department manager would've already gotten rid of him.

The guy is in his 60s and still doing coke?

Yep dude has never grown up. This dude also thinks wrestling is still real despite our one coworker, working part time in production for WWE when they'd come here and telling him it's not. Don't get me started on his relationship with his daughter and his grandkids or lack there of. He can't even remember the kids names.

Good string of entertaining posts. Glad I stuck with this thread.

Good luck DJax. Be careful at that workplace and hope you find a new job.

Meant to post this earlier but about a year ago I tried reapplying for my GameStop job. I know not much but I always liked the people I had worked with. Non of them are there now but the people there seem very nice and the one older guy there use to work with my ex manager and always helps me out. My old Manager is also the District manager. I always liked sorting the games that come in and the midnight releases and enjoyed helping the kids get something they'd enjoy. Customers loved me when I didn't even work there as I use to hang out and talk to these guys before ever working there. Thanks to my Playstation experience and all of them were Xbox I helped a few customers they had with PS issues. They'd come back and ask if I was around. They'd always tell the customer "Oh he doesn't work here, he just hangs out with us after he's done his job over there." pointing the grocery store direction. I also enjoyed doing something with video games and I knew enough about it I felt I was actually helping people. It sucks as it's not much $$$ though nor any benefits though.

Either way my plan was to cut back a little at my grocery store job. Maybe work 3O hrs maybe 35 depending on the week and work at GS the days I was off. Back at my old position at the store I had a pretty good schedule where I'd work 8-1 or 2 in the afternoon and then head over to the GS a few stores down and work there from 13O-23O to whenever I wanted. My Boss there I told what I was dealing with there and he was suer accommodating to me.

So why didn't I stay original? Good question. They hired me during the holiday season and were going to keep me on but my Assistant store manager was running the store as our store manager was filling in for another manager who broke his leg hanging Christmas lights. They were told with one of our stores closing to take one of the associates there. Another person was coming back to work at GS after not working there for awhile. They told my boss since he last worked at your store you need to hire him. So I kind of got caught in a pickle.

My issues is because I'm autistic a lot of jobs I want the jobs don't really want to accommodate or go the extra length for people like myself. Maybe you can say it's discrimination but at the same time I can't prove it. The better answer is I don't think many companies will go out of their way to make those accommodations willing which hurts my productivity. I also need to find something paying $15 an hour with benefits.

I wouldn't mind though instead of just telling me to get another job or find it if anyone had any suggestions for what they think maybe I should Apply too.

This is the right answer. In my company you can get fired if you don't report it to HR or your immediate supervisor

Yep dude has never grown up. This dude also thinks wrestling is still real despite our one coworker, working part time in production for WWE when they'd come here and telling him it's not. Don't get me started on his relationship with his daughter and his grandkids or lack there of. He can't even remember the kids names.

Not about growing up, it is about dying. Cocaine is a young persons drug. When I was in college I workerd security at all major concerts in Metro-Detroit. Lots of after parties with lots of anything you want available. I tried coke 2-3 times and realized real quick this stuff will kill me and I was 21. My heart rate skyrocketed and could not sleep.

Could not imagine a person over 35 doing it let along in his 60s.

I wouldn't mind though instead of just telling me to get another job or find it if anyone had any suggestions for what they think maybe I should Apply too.

Morning DJax,

I would respect your girlfriends wishes for now. You have already told her your opinion and she has told you what she wants. If you want, calmly reiterate your opinion but don't show her or say anything about how much you hate the guy. Show her you are calm and measured. state your thoughts and tell her you support her decision. She needs to know that she can rely on you for that.

What the guy is doing is wrong. If you want to say something, the next time he is being out of line let him know in a calm voice that you don't appreciate the way he behaves and ask him to stop. You dont have to yell and scream, just stay cool. Its not a big deal. You're not threatening him or looking for a fight, you're just an adult asking another adult to please stop doing something inappropriate.

You will likely just embarrass the dude and hopefully he stops, at least while you're around.

Not about growing up, it is about dying. Cocaine is a young persons drug. When I was in college I workerd security at all major concerts in Metro-Detroit. Lots of after parties with lots of anything you want available. I tried coke 2-3 times and realized real quick this stuff will kill me and I was 21. My heart rate skyrocketed and could not sleep.

Could not imagine a person over 35 doing it let along in his 60s.

No kidding...add in the threat of Fentanyl and it is legit Russian Roulette.

My issues is because I'm autistic a lot of jobs I want the jobs don't really want to accommodate or go the extra length for people like myself. Maybe you can say it's discrimination but at the same time I can't prove it. The better answer is I don't think many companies will go out of their way to make those accommodations willing which hurts my productivity. I also need to find something paying $15 an hour with benefits.
Not sure if you have a Home Depot nearby but I know they pay pretty well and have benefits.

My 17 year old son got a job last year starting at $15 an hour. He's basically a lot associate so he does carts, helps people load stuff - just does whatever they need him to do. He doesn't do their health insurance but he's eligible for their 401k program and has been in there for almost a year. I believe they start matching after his one year anniversary since he's part time.

Anyway, they are really flexible with his schedule. And I would bet they would pay more for someone that was full time and you would probably qualify for other jobs as well. Or you could apply and just see what they had. But the pay has been great for him and a lot of the workers there are older so it seems to be a pretty mature environment.

May be worth looking into. I think their health benefits are pretty good from the brief time I looked at it.

You also may look at Costco also if you have one close by. Their benefits are AWESOME and they pay pretty good. A good friend of my wife and I works there and loves it. I also know they are pretty cool about their hiring practices from what I understand.

I know it's scary to make changes once you are in a routine, but maybe something to look at.

Users who are viewing this thread