What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Would QB Alex Smith be a 1st round pick in 2006? (1 Viewer)

Alex Smith a 1st round pick in 2006?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

cstu

Footballguy
Just thinking about how lucky Alex Smith was that he went pro last year instead of this year. He wouldn't have ranked higher than the 4th best QB in the draft this year behind Leinart, Young and Cutler. Who knows how far Rodgers would've fallen - he certainly would have went after Jacobs and maybe would've been a 3rd round pick.

if he was in this year's draft, it simply would have been a good top-heavy QB draft. It's not like we haven't seen other years where 5-7 QBs have gone in the first round.

if he was in this year's draft, it simply would have been a good top-heavy QB draft. It's not like we haven't seen other years where 5-7 QBs have gone in the first round.
83? when else? curiousthat year with Couch, McNabb and Akili?

Last edited by a moderator:
The answer is Yes.

We have to assume that he would've ended his career on the same note as it ended 2 years ago from Utah....otherwise it's impossible to answer this question.

Assuming that, although he wouldn't go #1 overall, he would still be a 1st round pick this year. You don't go from #1 overall all the way out of the first round just because a certain draft class is a stronger one.

I would venture to guess that if put head-to-head coming straight out of college and not knowing what we know now of his struggles with the 49ers......Smith and Cutler would grade out very similarly.

The answer is Yes.

We have to assume that he would've ended his career on the same note as it ended 2 years ago from Utah....otherwise it's impossible to answer this question.

Assuming that, although he wouldn't go #1 overall, he would still be a 1st round pick this year. You don't go from #1 overall all the way out of the first round just because a certain draft class is a stronger one.

I would venture to guess that if put head-to-head coming straight out of college and not knowing what we know now of his struggles with the 49ers......Smith and Cutler would grade out very similarly.
I think Smith would've graded out higher, but we still have to see what Cutler does at the combine.I actually think the tough choice would be between Smith and VY, but that's just me..

I think the order would be:

Leinart - 2 overall behind Bush

Vince Young and Alex Smith - both going somewhere between 3 and 9

Cutler would drop to 16 -- in this scenario, Miami would be able to stay put and comfortably get Cutler as opposed to having a chance of Cutler falling to them anyway, but needing to trade up to be sure to get him..

The answer is Yes.

Assuming that, although he wouldn't go #1 overall, he would still be a 1st round pick this year.  You don't go from #1 overall all the way out of the first round just because a certain draft class is a stronger one.

I think Smith would've graded out higher, but we still have to see what Cutler does at the combine.I actually think the tough choice would be between Smith and VY, but that's just me..

Cutler would drop to 16 -- in this scenario, Miami would be able to stay put and comfortably get Cutler as opposed to having a chance of Cutler falling to them anyway, but needing to trade up to be sure to get him..
I don't think Alex Smith would touch the "enigma" that is Vince Young after that Rose Bowl performance. If all things were equal between the two, than VY would've been an easy choice just in terms of marketing potential as Alex Smith is nowhere near as exciting of a player in terms of fan base, etc.Alex Smith and Cutler are very similar prospects....both have good athleticism and leadership skills.

Alex Smith's arm strength was questioned at times, but his "smarts" and feel for the game were graded out very high.

just the opposite, Cutler's arm strength is his strong suit, but some may question his mental makeup and view him as a loose cannon (aka "gunslinger")

And as always, the arm strength trumps all when referring to top QB's and scouts falling in love with them.

The answer is Yes.

Assuming that, although he wouldn't go #1 overall, he would still be a 1st round pick this year.   You don't go from #1 overall all the way out of the first round just because a certain draft class is a stronger one.

I don't think Alex Smith would touch the "enigma" that is Vince Young after that Rose Bowl performance. If all things were equal between the two, than VY would've been an easy choice just in terms of marketing potential as Alex Smith is nowhere near as exciting of a player in terms of fan base, etc.Alex Smith and Cutler are very similar prospects....both have good athleticism and leadership skills.

Alex Smith's arm strength was questioned at times, but his "smarts" and feel for the game were graded out very high.

just the opposite, Cutler's arm strength is his strong suit, but some may question his mental makeup and view him as a loose cannon (aka "gunslinger")

And as always, the arm strength trumps all when referring to top QB's and scouts falling in love with them.
I respectfully, but completely disagree with you on this. Arm strength has been shown over and over again to be an extremely highly over rated factor when looking at QB prospects.

Adrian McPherson ring any bells?

The answer is Yes.

Assuming that, although he wouldn't go #1 overall, he would still be a 1st round pick this year.   You don't go from #1 overall all the way out of the first round just because a certain draft class is a stronger one.

With the combine Alex Smith had I think he would have been higher on the scouts depth charts than Cutler, and possibly would have been higher than Lienart. Are people forgetting the phenominal combine performance Smith put up? Scouts were drooling over him, calling it one of the best ever.

83? when else? curiousthat year with Couch, McNabb and Akili?
In '04, and '03, '87 there were 4 first-round QBsIn '99 there were 5.

In '83 there were 6.

Last year there were 3, so it would have been another year of four, but I guess I overestimated.

No way in hell Alex Smith is even in the same breath with Vince Young, Matt Lienart and Jay Cutler. No way.

Alex Smith would still have gone in the first round though, no way he falls to the second round in any draft. There are still too many teams that need a young QB to groom for the future. No way Smith would fall past Miami, Baltimore, etc.

I don't see why he still couldn't have been the top pick. I haven't heard anybody raving about this draft being top-heavy. There aren't any make-or-break guys out there. Bush seems to be the concensus #1, and lot of people question whether he can be an every-down back. If the top guy has a huge question mark like that attached to him, why couldn't Smith been more highly thought of considering the kind of year he had coming out of college?

This is a deep draft, but not one with a lot of superstars at the top.

No way in hell Alex Smith is even in the same breath with Vince Young, Matt Lienart and Jay Cutler. No way.

Alex Smith would still have gone in the first round though, no way he falls to the second round in any draft. There are still too many teams that need a young QB to groom for the future. No way Smith would fall past Miami, Baltimore, etc.
You are crazy. So a guy that was the No.1 overall last year is all of a sudden not even in the same breath with a guy who is expected to go somewhere between 7 and 16 (Cutler) this year? The top of this year's draft class is not that much better, if at all, than the top of last year's draft class...

No way is Alex Smith in the same breath with Jay Cutler?

You're letting Smith's performance with the Niners this year cloud your vision. He would have graded out behind Leinart, somewhere around Young, and ahead of Cutler. He probably would have gone #4 to the Jets.

No way is Alex Smith in the same breath with Jay Cutler?

You're letting Smith's performance with the Niners this year cloud your vision. He would have graded out behind Leinart, somewhere around Young, and ahead of Cutler. He probably would have gone #4 to the Jets.
:goodposting:

Users who are viewing this thread