What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Jahan Dotson, PHI (1 Viewer)

Another Hype Train guy not living up to expectations. Gibbs, Gibson, and Dotson were all flying up boards the first week of September and really shouldn't have been :(

The expectation was a 1A/1B situation with Dotson a chance to take the 1A part of that target share. The problem is Sam Howell and Eric Bienemy are spreading the ball around FAR more than anyone thought. The offense doesn't seem to be running a narrow target tree.

Routes Run
Jahan Dotson 39
Terry McLaurin 33
Curtis Samuel 27
Antonio Gibson 24
Logan Thomas 21
John Bates 18
Brian Robinson 17
Cole Turner 10
Byron Pringle 6

That's a lot of guys over 20 and a good amount of people near it and Howell seemed to target them all. People were saying Dotson was getting separation/open in the game thread so it's not like he was getting shut down; Howell looked to target everyone with NINE different players seeing at least 2 targets...

If Howell isn't going to really lock on his WRs suddenly Dotson is looking more like a WR3/4.

I've been hard on Dotson. And I think it's time to admit I was wrong. He's really, really good. Fantasy football wise, he's not gonna have better stats until the OLine and Howell get in sync. And that could take the entire season seeing as Howell is in his first year of play. Howell has a great arm, but he's not progessing through his routes fast enough. Which is leaving a lot of big plays on the table. I imagine that will get better, but until it does the WRs might not get their numbers.

Dotson ... he's a really good run blocker and has great hands. Seems to be a team player. From a pure football perspective the combo of Dotson and McLaurin is gonna be good for a long time.

I've been hard on Dotson. And I think it's time to admit I was wrong. He's really, really good. Fantasy football wise, he's not gonna have better stats until the OLine and Howell get in sync. And that could take the entire season seeing as Howell is in his first year of play. Howell has a great arm, but he's not progessing through his routes fast enough. Which is leaving a lot of big plays on the table. I imagine that will get better, but until it does the WRs might not get their numbers.

Dotson ... he's a really good run blocker and has great hands. Seems to be a team player. From a pure football perspective the combo of Dotson and McLaurin is gonna be good for a long time.
:confused:

That happened yesterday. The line is average at best but Howell was stone cold locked in the 2nd half. He made great reads and throws. Not sure where Dotson falls in the pecking order but Howell was finding the open man and getting him the ball.

I want to pick up Purdy as an insurance policy against Burrow. My options are to drop London, JReed, KHerbert or Dotson. Strongly leaning toward dropping Dotson because we just haven't seen it from him. The past two weeks, the Commanders have played in a shootout and in a beatdown, and he's barely done anything in either. It feels like a mediocre offense and a replacement-level QB who likes to spread it around. At least with Herbert I can squint and figure the Bears can't possibly continue to be this bad (plus I have no RB depth).

I was really high on him coming into the season and I hate having to cut bait. But I don't see a way out for him

I've been getting trade offers where he's a piece on the other side. I like the talent, but can't tell if he's a good buy low or he's actually still a sell high since he was drafted higher than McLaurin in some late drafts and hasn't done much yet. He is getting targets, but none of the Wash WRs are getting a ton of targets so far.

I want to pick up Purdy as an insurance policy against Burrow. My options are to drop London, JReed, KHerbert or Dotson. Strongly leaning toward dropping Dotson because we just haven't seen it from him. The past two weeks, the Commanders have played in a shootout and in a beatdown, and he's barely done anything in either. It feels like a mediocre offense and a replacement-level QB who likes to spread it around. At least with Herbert I can squint and figure the Bears can't possibly continue to be this bad (plus I have no RB depth).

I was really high on him coming into the season and I hate having to cut bait. But I don't see a way out for him
Dropped him this week for Dell.

Didn't feel bad.

He's way more skilled but feels like a Michael Gallup/MVS placeholder in an offense... a guy you have respect and account for but is not in any way a part of a game plan.

Huge misread by me, I thought he was a WR1 profile, maybe he would be in his next stop

Dropped him this week for Dell.

Didn't feel bad.
Thanks for giving me the final nudge. He gone

I heard his ADOT dropped massively in this new offense and they’re spreading the ball around a lot. I dropped him before last week and haven’t looked back, I grabbed him in a few leagues too thinking last years production could continue. Maybe it changes but I’d rather use the spot on some RB tickets as I’m pretty much 4-5 deep on WR on most redraft teams thanks to Puka.

The QB, RB, TE and OL are not great. The talent on this offense is the WR's and after 3 games the trio of Logan Thomas, Bates and Turner is averaging just one target per game less then Terry/Dotson.

That's not good. Eric B was getting some praise heaped early on but players>plays. He's not properly adjusting IMO to workign with a skill group with totally different skill set then he has in KC.

Bet on the talent and Bienemy to adjust the scheme. There’s nothing wrong with the player.

Lol at keeping Khalil Herbert over Dotson.

September 21:

Matt Harmon
Jahan Dotson Week 1 and 2 #ReceptionPerception Charting Review is up on the site.
A few notes:
- He has been cutting DBs up in man coverage (76.9% success rate)
- Running a ton of intermediate routes- Getting more slot work in Year 2
- The film is just so impressive
The Commanders are breaking in a lot of "new" but I feel good about the OC and QB.

I am holding. too much talent and they surely recognize they need to get him the ball. would dump if I needed someone to start though.

Really disappointing start. Howell isn't the guy.

Curtis Samuel has more touches, yards, & fantasy points than Jahan Dotson through 3 weeks. I would have NEVER in a million years guessed that based on what Dotson showed last year. So far yes Dotson and London have been my biggest heartbreaks to start the season. I thought both would be balling out big time...

By far my biggest disappointment of the young season.
Definitely up there for me too. Not sure if the issue is Dotson, Howell, the OL, the play calling or some combination of all of the above, but hoping the talent will shine through - and soon for the sake of my season.

Heard a descriptor for MVS and Skyy Moore yesterday: lots of empty yards and empty routes... feels like Bienemy may have slotted Dotson in that role instead of the Tyreek role that was teased.

All are functionally decoys to open up the underneath

Last edited:
Curtis Samuel has more touches, yards, & fantasy points than Jahan Dotson through 3 weeks. I would have NEVER in a million years guessed that based on what Dotson showed last year. So far yes Dotson and London have been my biggest heartbreaks to start the season. I thought both would be balling out big time...
Instead, WE are...

2 of 7 for 12 yards? Anyone who's seen the game, were the drops, bad routes, bad throws, good defense?

cutting him in multiple leagues after today. Too many mouths to feed and doesn’t get the targets. Great wr but time for me to move on. Fell into a similar trap with Curtis Samuel last season…same situation. Shame on me.

Here's how I view it. He is struggling but the Redskins are also losing football games. If he was struggling and Redskins were winning I would be concerned.

Typically, teams start changing things up once they start losing. Sure he's uninvolved and not featured, but the Redskins don't want to keep losing games so eventually production will slide over to him.

Might take a QB change. Not like Sam Howell has a ton of Pedigree. I wouldn't stress too much, at worst he was people's WR3. I think better times are ahead.

Neither the OC or the HC are happy losing games, so while Logan Thomas and Curtis Samuel are nice stories... their production won't last if DC keeps losing.

Last edited:
Here's how I view it. He is struggling but the Redskins are also losing football games. If he was struggling and Redskins were winning I would be concerned.

Typically, teams start changing things up once they start losing. Sure he's uninvolved and no featured, but the Redskins don't want to keep losing games so eventually production will slide over to him.

Might take a QB change. Not like Sam Howell has a ton of Pedigree. I wouldn't stress too much, at worst he was people's WR3. I think better times are ahead.

Neither the OC or the HC are happy losing games, so while Logan Thomas and Curtis Samuel are nice stories... their production won't last if DC keeps losing.
Sam Howell is not the problem, he has been one of the few bright spots.

Typically, teams start changing things up once they start losing. Sure he's uninvolved and no featured, but the Redskins don't want to keep losing games so eventually production will slide over to him.

Sam Howell is not the problem, he has been one of the few bright spots.

I'd like to think if they keep losing they would bench him. Either way, anyone who is counting on the Redskins to keep doing what they are currently doing is mistaken, imo.

Losing forces changes. It still baffles me how people support these dogcrap QBs. Sam Howell has thrown 6 TD and 6 INT. That's the definition of average.

I personally would not call that a "bright spot" but then again, that term is subjective and duly noted you never called him "good".

Subconsciously, I think you know this guy is JAG. Zach Wilson has thrown 4 TD and 4 INT. I don't think you would consider him a "bright spot".

Carson Wentz got benched after 8 games going 2-6 as a starter and throwing 11 TD to 9 INT.

Sam Howell is 2-3 as a starter and has thrown 6 TD to 6 INT.

But apparently Wentz = Bad, Howell = Good.

That’s why I’m getting off…too much uncertainty and too many mouths. Give me Wilson, Mims as my 5th wr…those guys are on the way up and we don’t know their upside. Dotson, I feel we know his role on this team for this year.

Carson Wentz got benched after 8 games going 2-6 as a starter and throwing 11 TD to 9 INT.

Sam Howell is 2-3 as a starter and has thrown 6 TD to 6 INT.

But apparently Wentz = Bad, Howell = Good.
Wentz was in something like his 7th season having probably started 100 games. Howell is in his 2nd, starting like his 2nd game. Some of the “Howell = good” is probably because he’s showing more in his first few starts than Wentz was demonstrating in his 100th. Not really a fair apples to apples comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread