What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Jauan Jennings, SF (1 Viewer)

Faust

MVP
49ers' Jauan Jennings: Role continues to grow

Kittle explains what he likes about teammate Jennings

SANTA CLARA -- Jauan Jennings has taken advantage of his opportunities in his new role as the 49ers’ No. 3 wide receiver.

While playing 95 snaps over the past two games with Mohamed Sanu out with a knee injury, Jennings has only two receptions for 7 yards.

But he is making his mark in the 49ers' running game.

Tight end George Kittle credits Jennings for his contributions in helping get the 49ers’ wide receivers up to the blocking level the team showed during their Super Bowl season.

“Consistently, 2019 I think was our best year of blocking at wide receiver just throughout the whole year,” Kittle said. “I think our last two weeks, we’ve been spectacular. Guys are being physical.

“I love seeing Jauan Jennings out there. Every time he’s in on a run play, he tries to take a guy’s head off. I love it. As a corner or safety, that’s one of the most annoying things ever — a guy in your face the whole time trying to block you.”

Jennings was such an annoyance in the 49ers’ 30-10 victory over the Jacksonville Jaguars that safety Rayshawn Jenkins took exception to his blocking. Jenkins threw a punch at Jennings that got him ejected from the game and gave the 49ers a first down after a failed third-down play.

“Jauan is amazing,” Kittle said. “With his scuffle last week, whatever you saw on TV, that’s who he is every day. He reminds me a little bit of (Kendrick Bourne). He’s just very authentic and true to himself every single rep. If he messes up, he says, ‘Hey, I won’t do it again,’ and he figures it out and fixes it.”

Jennings is a fun-loving presence on the 49ers — until he steps on the field. His aggressive nature was what drew the 49ers to him and prompted them to select him in the seventh round of the 2020 NFL Draft.

“He’s awesome to have in the locker room. I’m on the other side, the complete opposite corner of him, and I hear him every single day,” Kittle said. “I like having guys like that in the locker room.

“He’s aggressive and he has that switch. He reminds me a little of Jeff Wilson. He really he does. That aggression. It’s only on the football field. But when he’s on the football field, he’s fighting for his life. And when you’re fighting for your life, you have a better chance to be successful.”

The Athletic's Matt Barrows said Jauan Jennings would be the 49ers' No. 2 receiver if Deebo Samuel (groin) is out for Week 13. 

Jennings' playing time has spiked of late after minimal usage in the first half of the season. Barrow said head coach Kyle Shanahan's "trust" in Jennings has grown over the past month. The Niners being without their dominant receiver/running back Samuel would presumably make Brandon Aiyuk the team's WR1 and Jennings the WR2 against Seattle in Week 13. The big-bodied Jennings saw two red zone targets in last week's win against Minnesota, scoring once and narrowly missing another touchdown. Jennings has played about half the team's offensive snaps since Week 10. He would suffice as a low-end WR3 in a pinch if Samuel is sidelined for a week or two. 

RELATED: 

Deebo Samuel

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Nov 30, 2021, 10:30 AM ET

Jauan Jennings caught both of his targets for eight yards in the 49ers' NFC Championship loss to the Rams.

Drafted 217th overall in the 2020 draft, Jennings took over as the Niners' lightly-used third wideout this season after Richie James went on I.R. and Mohamed Sanu jumped between the practice squad, active roster, and injured reserve. Jennings posted a 24-282-5 receiving line after catching zero passes as a rookie. He looked a bit like Michal Crabtree as a red-zone threat who wasn't going to beat defenses over the top or with speed. Jennings will likely face competition for WR3 duties in 2022.

- NBCSportsEDGE

49ers coach Kyle Shanahan said that WR Jauan Jennings has had "his best offseason since he entered the league."

Jennings seems likely to stick as the 49ers WR3 between his humongous run-blocking frame and his ability to make defenders miss in open space. He probably won't be a major fantasy factor without injuries in front of him, but with the 49ers breaking in a new quarterback it would be silly to rule anything out. 

SOURCE: ESPN

Jul 3, 2022, 1:36 PM ET

Been nabbing him late in best balls.  I liked what I saw last year and Deebo/Aiyuk haven't exactly been pillars of consistency.   

I liked him last year and played him in most DFS lineups to close the season out.

I don't see why he isn't a bigger contributor in 2022. 

This guy is one heckuva blocker. The Titans would love him and Philly would convert him to TE. San Fran is making a mistake not playing him more often and I imagine they realized that last year.

Aiyuk needs to sit some two wide running plays and he needs to be blocking. 

He's ok as a WR. He lacks flash and speed and sharp cuts. Sometimes he is surprisingly fast but in general he's just a BIG dude and defenses don't have the right guy to matchup with him either because of subs, injuries, or lack of respect. 

Until or if San Fran uses him often, he's like Auden Tate with Cincy. He's probably not much for FF but if he gets in he's enough of a problem that he's going to make some plays.

I can't overstate how he could help the run game though. Titans and Giants and Steelers have often benefitted from a good WR blocker freeing up the back to turn a 5 yard gain into a long one up the sideline. If they can move the safety or have someone take him out....the runningbacks is hitting paydirt. Also, I've seen Corey Davis and Hines Ward a zillion times sort of slash in to take out a LB diagonally. This always does wonders for getting a defender to second guess themselves and help the run game too. It's just totally different when you have a brute at WR

I liked him last year and played him in most DFS lineups to close the season out.

I don't see why he isn't a bigger contributor in 2022. 

This guy is one heckuva blocker. The Titans would love him and Philly would convert him to TE. San Fran is making a mistake not playing him more often and I imagine they realized that last year.

Aiyuk needs to sit some two wide running plays and he needs to be blocking. 

He's ok as a WR. He lacks flash and speed and sharp cuts. Sometimes he is surprisingly fast but in general he's just a BIG dude and defenses don't have the right guy to matchup with him either because of subs, injuries, or lack of respect. 

Until or if San Fran uses him often, he's like Auden Tate with Cincy. He's probably not much for FF but if he gets in he's enough of a problem that he's going to make some plays.

I can't overstate how he could help the run game though. Titans and Giants and Steelers have often benefitted from a good WR blocker freeing up the back to turn a 5 yard gain into a long one up the sideline. If they can move the safety or have someone take him out....the runningbacks is hitting paydirt. Also, I've seen Corey Davis and Hines Ward a zillion times sort of slash in to take out a LB diagonally. This always does wonders for getting a defender to second guess themselves and help the run game too. It's just totally different when you have a brute at WR
Excellent write-up!  In some ways, I think he's what Shanahan was hoping Jalen Hurd would be, if maybe not as naturally athletic.  Shanahan has been raving about his work ethic and ability to separate and I think he'll be on the field a lot. 15 of his 24 catches went for first downs and he scored 3 td's in the last 7 games.  I doubt he'll be dropping 8/120/2 lines but can definitely see 6/55/1 and he has multiple paths to more playing time, as he'd play more if Deebo, Aiyuk or even Kittle went down.  Tough to rely on in a managed league but a great dart throw in the last couple of rounds of a best ball league, along with Danny Gray.

Jauan Jennings caught 4-of-6 targets for 62 yards in the 49ers' Week 1 loss to the Bears.

Jennings was actually the 49ers' leading receiver, but it had the feel of a fluky performance in a game where the torrential weather was the star. Jennings does seem to be firmly established as the Niners' No. 3 wideout, though Ray-Ray McCloud also mixed in for some targets this afternoon. With three stars ahead of him and passing attempts at a premium in this attack, Jennings is off the re-draft radar.

- NBCSportsEDGE

49ers tendered RFA WR Jauan Jennings at the second-round level.
Jennings will return to San Francisco on a one-year. Drafted in 2020, Jennings didn’t see the field as a rookie but quickly stepped into the WR3 role for the 49ers in his second season. He has held the role ever since. In 2023, Jennings caught 19 balls for 265 yards and one score. He capped off his season by catching and throwing a touchdown in the 49ers’ Super Bowl loss. Jennings will remain on the outskirts of fantasy relevancy unless the 49ers lose one of their pass-catchers but is a valuable secondary pass-catcher and a solid run-blocking for his team.

Users who are viewing this thread