What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Jaylen Waddle, MIA (3 Viewers)

Two Waddle stats.

First: Waddle finished his college career with 15.03 yards per target (1999y/133t), which is the second highest that I know of behind 2007-08 Brennan Marion who had 16.36 YPT (2356y/144t).

Marion had a 57% catch rate and 28.7 YPR.
Waddle had a 80% catch rate and 18.9 YPR.

So he was superproductive when targeted, and not just from boom-bust bombs.

Second: Waddle had about 3.6 or 3.7 yards per route run for his career, which is really good. For comparison, Devonta Smith had 4.39 YPRR in his Heisman winning 2020 season and Ja'Marr Chase had 3.52 YPRR in his Biletnikoff winning 2019 season.

(Waddle had 4.38 YPRR this year according to the PFF draft guide (591y/135rr) and 3.44 YPRR in 2018 according to Fox Sports (848y/246rr). I don't know how many routes he ran in 2019, but PFF does have his snap counts for all 3 years and he ran a route on 56% of his snaps in both 2018 & 2020 so if we assume it was the same in 2019 then he had 3.40 YPRR that year and 3.66 YPRR for his career.)

So he was superproductive when he was on the field.

It's just that he was often on the bench in 2018-19 behind Jeudy, Smith, and Ruggs, and then this year he got hurt after 4 games.

I'm going to admit I have a bias against small WRs. I'm just not a fan. I recognize this guy and many others in this draft as having elite everything else, though. Someone sell me.

I'm going to admit I have a bias against small WRs. I'm just not a fan. I recognize this guy and many others in this draft as having elite everything else, though. Someone sell me.
I'm not going to. I have a serious problem with a lot of the top WRs basic height and weight measurements in this rookie class. Waddle and Smith are two problems as far as I can see.

I can accept the idea that a good big bodied WR is, in general, more desirable than a good small guy.

But IMO there are a lot more really good "smaller" WRs than you might think (especially if you're slightly liberal with the definition).

Hill

Diggs

Lockett

Cooks

Dionte J

Fuller

Crowder

Sanders

Hilton

Mooney (interested to see him this next year)

John Brown

There was a time I felt this way but that kind of went away over the years as I saw more and more success stories of smaller WR's to the point I would not consider it an outlier. Antonio Brown and his 6 year run of dominance which I feasted on in several teams I'd say it's fair to say makes me hard to hate smaller WR's.

But let me ask, what do people consider small?

Usually me too, not with Waddle though. He is THE most dynamic WR in this class. Used a lot on screens and in space, over the middle and in a variety of ways. Played multiple WR positions at Alabama, learned them all. 

I hated Ruggs, I hated Ross, I hated Brown, not a big Isabella fan from recent memory of small high profile rookies. The versatility I'm sold on, the efficiency is a bonus. 

There was a time I felt this way but that kind of went away over the years as I saw more and more success stories of smaller WR's to the point I would not consider it an outlier. Antonio Brown and his 6 year run of dominance which I feasted on in several teams I'd say it's fair to say makes me hard to hate smaller WR's.

Under six feet to me, but I could be convinced about 5'11" being about right these days. Seems like a lot of guys in this draft listed at 5'11". Would love to have a combine to sort it out. I saw on Twitter today how LSU generally overstates players' height by about an inch to an inch and a half and Chase is listed at 6'1". If you look at him in a picture standing next to DeVonta Smith, he looks shorter. Just food for thought.

Second: Waddle had about 3.6 or 3.7 yards per route run for his career, which is really good. For comparison, Devonta Smith had 4.39 YPRR in his Heisman winning 2020 season and Ja'Marr Chase had 3.52 YPRR in his Biletnikoff winning 2019 season.

(Waddle had 4.38 YPRR this year according to the PFF draft guide (591y/135rr) and 3.44 YPRR in 2018 according to Fox Sports (848y/246rr). I don't know how many routes he ran in 2019, but PFF does have his snap counts for all 3 years and he ran a route on 56% of his snaps in both 2018 & 2020 so if we assume it was the same in 2019 then he had 3.40 YPRR that year and 3.66 YPRR for his career.)

Turns out, PFF tweeted this a few days ago:

Highest career yards per route in the 2021 draft class (min 100 targets):

3.57 Jaylen Waddle

3.12 Ja’Marr Chase

3.10 DeVonta Smith
So my 3.66 estimate was just a touch high.

Waddle (5'10"/182)

No I don't know. I'm just envisioning sitting on the clock somewhere around 1.05/1.06 and if the top 3 backs are gone I would have a decision between him, Bateman or moving back. I may move back.

I think my bias is rooted in a belief (that is also tenuous) that smaller WRs really require the right system to flourish (for FF). But I'm not sure scheme/fit matters less for a more prototypical WR size. 

I don't put a number on the size and I acknowledge it isn't a very defendable opinion. But I'm trying to acknowledge that's where I'm coming from and to challenge myself against it. This draft has a number of elite smaller guys. Obviously the next Antonio Brown, Marvin Harrison, Tyreek Hill would be great. 

Last edited by a moderator:
 This draft has a number of elite smaller guys. Obviously the next Antonio Brown, Marvin Harrison, Tyreek Hill would be great. 
It worries me that the fact that they're small might preclude most of them from becoming "elite."

No I don't know. I'm just envisioning sitting on the clock somewhere around 1.05/1.06 and if the top 3 backs are gone I would have a decision between him, Bateman or moving back. I may move back.
I have the 1.04 and 1.05 in one league. I'm in the same frame of mind as you, down to the player, even.

Under six feet to me, but I could be convinced about 5'11" being about right these days. Seems like a lot of guys in this draft listed at 5'11". Would love to have a combine to sort it out. I saw on Twitter today how LSU generally overstates players' height by about an inch to an inch and a half and Chase is listed at 6'1". If you look at him in a picture standing next to DeVonta Smith, he looks shorter. Just food for thought.
I read that in a tweet from Jim Nagy. Said if they overstate Chase the way they overstated Jefferson he should come in similar size to Kadarious Toney in the 5'11"/190'ish range.

Waddle (5'10"/182)

No I don't know.
Waddle yes and then it's a little hard to quantify.

Devonta Smith should measure over 6" but he's built like Allen Iverson and that's small.  Meanwhile Tyreek Hill is short but he has more power then a lot of bigger receivers.

I think for me and probably everyone you want it all, size, speed, good film and stats. But I'm not really turned off by smaller receivers as much as say I'm usually leery of receivers who don't run great routes.

Yeah route running chops is one of the biggest traits I look for. And I know these guys are really good at it. 
Which guys specifically?  I'm not seeing much about Waddle's routes, specifically.  Best I can see is that one writer says he's good at one route, and has good footwork.  This does not make him a route technician, but he certainly has the skills to become one.

Which guys specifically?  I'm not seeing much about Waddle's routes, specifically.  Best I can see is that one writer says he's good at one route, and has good footwork.  This does not make him a route technician, but he certainly has the skills to become one.
I'll have to look again but there a number of small WRs coming out that I have seen a blurb here or there that they were really good at route running. I need to revisit this and other stuff for each WR in the class again. My comment was just in passing but I haven't really dove in that deep yet. Still mostly hustling through cuts and moves and my board is taking *some* shape but I'm not there yet. 

Basically I'm going to be a lot more inclined to take a somewhat smaller receiver if I think their route running is elite or top notch.

Two Waddle stats.

First: Waddle finished his college career with 15.03 yards per target (1999y/133t), which is the second highest that I know of behind 2007-08 Brennan Marion who had 16.36 YPT (2356y/144t).

Marion had a 57% catch rate and 28.7 YPR.
Waddle had a 80% catch rate and 18.9 YPR.

So he was superproductive when targeted, and not just from boom-bust bombs.

It's just that he was often on the bench in 2018-19 behind Jeudy, Smith, and Ruggs, and then this year he got hurt after 4 games.
Dont you think these numbers are at least partially because of the small sample size?

So why compare him to his team mate Smith by this metric when you know Smiths opportunity and sample of performance is much greater than Waddle?

I think we know that with more volume numbers like this tend to normalize themselves.

If Waddle is so good then why was he behind Jeudy, Smith and Ruggs? I am guessing its because the coach thought those players gave them a better chance of winning than Waddle because they are better football players.

Having 3 WR older than you all good enough to be getting drafted in the top 15 of round 1 makes for a pretty hard lineup to crack. 

As the #2 WR and #5 overall.
I have them ranked as:  

1) Ja'Marr Chase

2) Jaylen Waddle

3) Rashod Bateman (some will scoff th6at I didn't pick Smith here.  So sue me)

4) Devanta Smith

5) Rondale Moore

6) Terrace Marshall

7) Elijah Moore

8 - Kadarius Toney

9) Dyami Brown

10) Tamorrion Terry

A lot will have Tylan Wallace, Amon Ra St. Brown, Seth Williams, De'Wayne Eskridge in their top 10, but not me.

Not in my top 10, but my sleepers are Amari Rodgers and Sage Suratt

ETA:  My hardest ranking was 8 - Toney and 9 - Brown.  I could easily put Brown at 8.  

Terry is my swing for the fences pick.

Dont you think these numbers are at least partially because of the small sample size?

So why compare him to his team mate Smith by this metric when you know Smiths opportunity and sample of performance is much greater than Waddle?

I think we know that with more volume numbers like this tend to normalize themselves.

If Waddle is so good then why was he behind Jeudy, Smith and Ruggs? I am guessing its because the coach thought those players gave them a better chance of winning than Waddle because they are better football players.
I do like Devonta Smith's production more than Waddle's. I just think that Waddle had good production too.

Your "If Waddle is so good then why was he behind Jeudy, Smith and Ruggs?" point really only applies to his 2019 season.

In 2018, Waddle was a true freshman joining a team that had Jeudy, Ruggs, Devonta Smith, and Irv Smith returning from the previous year. Waddle immediately carved out a significant role on that offense, and finished 2nd on the team in receiving yards (and 3rd in rec tds) with 45/848/7. Jeudy was the clear #1, Waddle/Ruggs/Smith/Smith had fairly similarly sized roles behind him. This is the kind of early breakout that you like to see, IMO. It doesn't count as a breakout according to the standard 20% market share cutoff, but that's just what happens when you have 5 guys like these (in this case, only one of them hit 20%).

In 2019, Irv Smith left, Devonta Smith stepped up and was the co-#1 receiver alongside Jeudy, and Ruggs & Waddle languished behind them as co-#3s (with similar roles & production to 2018). And if anything, Waddle was slightly behind Ruggs & slightly behind what he did in 2018. So that was a negative, as you say.

Then in 2020, Jeudy & Ruggs left and Devonta Smith & Waddle both put up huge numbers as co-#1 receivers for their first 4 games. And they seemed like legit elite producers - people expected them to keep putting up big numbers for the rest of the season. Then Waddle got injured on the opening kickoff of game 5 and that was that. If the college football season had been cancelled at that point then I think analytics guys would've loved Waddle's season. The analytics people doing rest-of-season projections (or DFS projections) after Waddle's 4th game did love Waddle. So I'm inclined to think of this as "Waddle did emerge as an effective receiver in a high volume role, with a bit of extra uncertainty because he only got to show it on the field for 4 weeks" rather than as a fluky "anything can happen over a 4-game stretch" thing.

This is basically the career arc you want to see, even if it's atypical in places. Immediately carved out a significant role as a true freshman, emerged as a high-volume receiver by his 3rd year, had great per-snap and per-target efficiency throughout.

I agree with everything you said ZWK. While Waddles freshman year was not technically a break out by some standards, it was good enough that he has been on my radar since then.

Mostly just playing devils advocate here. 

I do think Smith is the more skilled player of the two so I do value him more than Waddle without question, while some think they are even or prefer Waddle. I'm not on board with that.

Well I just took him at 8.10 in my FFPC SuperFlex startup. He isn't really a target of mine and I have no idea how I will feel in June but that seemed way too late for a guy so many people are in love with. All the other names in that range at WR were likely to retain their current value whereas once Waddle goes in the 1st round in the NFL, his price will rise quite a bit. Whether I keep him or not it seemed like a slam dunk there. Other names in that area were Shenault, Juju, Kupp, Jeudy, Golladay, Chark, Sutton, Pittman, R Moore.

Well I just took him at 8.10 in my FFPC SuperFlex startup. He isn't really a target of mine and I have no idea how I will feel in June but that seemed way too late for a guy so many people are in love with. All the other names in that range at WR were likely to retain their current value whereas once Waddle goes in the 1st round in the NFL, his price will rise quite a bit. Whether I keep him or not it seemed like a slam dunk there. Other names in that area were Shenault, Juju, Kupp, Jeudy, Golladay, Chark, Sutton, Pittman, R Moore.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oAkA2TxomA

I think you are gonna be real happy with him!

I have Waddle ranked ahead of all of those guys myself. The only close one is Sutton 6 spots behind. Easy smash from there. 

I have Waddle ranked ahead of all of those guys myself. The only close one is Sutton 6 spots behind. Easy smash from there. 
I wasn't really expecting him to be there wasn't even on my radar for the startup. But if anyone in that group is going to climb soon it will be him. 

Scouting Profile: Jaylen Waddle, WR, Alabama

Had it not been for a season-ending ankle injury, Alabama’s electric receiver might’ve cemented “WR1” status in the 2021 NFL Draft.

Height: 5'10"
Weight: 182lbs
Class: Junior
NFL Comparison: Henry Ruggs III, v1.5

Entering the 2020 season, wide receiver Jaylen Waddle was coming off a 2019 campaign in which he garnered Second-Team All-American status, and was considered to be one of the favorites to win the Heisman Trophy. And had Waddle not suffered the season-ending ankle injury in late October, he could’ve very well been the Crimson Tide receiver holding up said trophy in December, considering he started off last season with 25 catches for 557 yards, and four touchdowns in his first four games.

Waddle is the epitome of the phrase “he’s playing at a different speed than everyone else.” There likely wasn’t a single player in all of college football who was faster or more explosive than Waddle, further evidenced by the fact that he clocked the fastest recorded in-game speed of any player in the nation. He’s frequently compared to Tyreek Hill of the Kansas City Chiefs, and the comparison is admittedly apropos. The former possesses the exceptional combination of acceleration, speed, lateral quickness, footwork, big play ability, and even pound-for-pound toughness that has made the latter such a dangerous presence on Sunday’s.

Opponents of the Crimson Tide so frequently employed zone schemes when playing defense against the Alabama offense, because they were terrified of their guys surrendering big plays against the freakshow talent that the Tide had at wide receiver. But, to say that mindset backfired would be just a little bit of an understatement. The average length across all of Waddle’s 17 career touchdowns as a member of the Crimson Tide was a whopping 43.6 yards Think about that; the average distance he covered anytime he scored a touchdown was basically half the length of a football field.

Watching Waddle burst off the line of scrimmage at the snap is like watching a Lamborghini go from 0-to-60 mph in less than 2.5 seconds; Waddle will be 15 yards down the field before the quarterback even gets to the 5th step in his drop. And he’s far from a straight-line speed only guy. Because he maintains that same velocity when getting in and out of his breaks, even that the most athletic defensive backs in the nation simply couldn’t hang with him. That led to the aforementioned cushion that so many defenses employed against him. The problem was, giving Waddle even a modicum of space in which to operate usually resulted in him getting WAY behind defenses literally in the blink of an eye.

Once the gets the ball in his hands, Waddle looks like a cheetah running amidst a pack of (much slower) antelopes. Because of his smaller stature, he’s so slippery — defenders have a really hard time even getting their hands on him, let alone bringing him down to the ground. And that’s not even mentioning the open field start-and-stop “shake and bake” that he can lay on tacklers. Simply put, once he secures the catch, Waddle turns into a return man; he sets up blocks, and explodes through creases that present themselves.

But as mentioned regarding Tyreek Hill, what makes Waddle such a special prospect is the combination of toughness — mental and physical — that accompanies his explosiveness. It’s downright unfair to watch him pull down catches in jump ball situations when being guarded by defensive backs who might be a tad bigger than him, in addition to the fact that he can run by them with relative ease. He makes the tough catches in traffic, pulls down passes that might arrive outside the typical strike zone, and knows how to adjust his body and momentum to come down with the errant or under-thrown pass.

From a between-the-ears standpoint, Waddle combines a rock-solid work ethic with an on-field alpha dog mentality and a willingness to mix it up with opponents. He’ll take huge shots from defenders, bounce right back up again, and let defenders know he’ll be back for more. On running plays, he’s more than happy to throw blocks down the field. And when the game is on the line, he’s one of those guys who will find a way to make big plays — like when he basically put the entire Crimson Tide team on his back against Auburn in 2019, almost willing them to a comeback victory with his four-touchdown performance.

But in a manner very, very similar to that of teammate Devonta Smith, the questions about Waddle’s size — or lack thereof — are what will give NFL teams at least a little bit of a pause. Given that weighs less than 190lbs, combined with his documented injury history, there are certainly concerns about whether he’ll be able to stay healthy over a 16+ game season in the NFL. Don’t forget: Waddle is a startling facsimile of former teammate Henry Ruggs, and the latter battled through nagging injuries throughout his rookie season in Las Vegas.

Also akin to Smith, Waddle enjoyed the luxury of being lined up at so many different spots in the Alabama, preventing most teams from being able to press him at the line of scrimmage. But when defenders did jam him at the snap, that’s where you saw some of Waddle’s explosiveness somewhat nullified. He is tough enough to get through the press even against corners who keep wanting to play physical with him, but it’s clear that such a style of play disrupts his overall rhythm and comfort. This is arguably the area in which his future in the NFL will be most dependent upon.

In general, the best way to think of Waddle is that he’s one of those receivers who might have painfully quiet stretches of play, but you’re always wary of him ripping off that one game-changing play. In that regard, he reminds you a lot of Desean Jackson: someone who can rip off a touchdown of 80+ yards at the drop of a hat, and blow the outcome of a game wide open (watch his nail-in-the-coffin 87-yard touchdown catch against Texas A&M this past season).

But, it does bear repeating: Alabama is primed to have four wide receivers selected in the first round of the NFL Draft between the 2020 and 2021 selection meetings. And were it not for Waddle’s injury, there is a definitely a universe in which we’d be talking about Waddle as the best prospect of the four.

I probbably would have drafted Pittman, Sutton or Jeudy (in that order) head of Waddle.  Shenault is probably next.
I like Shenault but ended up taking Chark just a few picks earlier and didn't want to double down on Jags. My thought was once Waddle gets drafted his value will spike above those other names. I also managed to get Pittman in the next round.

I like Shenault but ended up taking Chark just a few picks earlier and didn't want to double down on Jags. My thought was once Waddle gets drafted his value will spike above those other names. I also managed to get Pittman in the next round.
I take that back, Shenault was off the board before my pick of Waddle and *then* I took Chark and Pittman in the next round.

Waddle does have that offensive weapon quality to him. Similar to Shenault or Patterson in that regard which makes me nervous about him honestly.

While special teams ability is a plus it doesnt give me a warm and fuzzy feeling about Waddles ability to perform as a traditional WR when many of his best plays are on returns.

Users who are viewing this thread