What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (5 Viewers)

Given the new information about players suing, I think the ship has about sailed when it comes to him returning immediately. Maybe the suspension will be reduced down, but I even doubt that.

I'm holding in redraft until I hear more, but I really don't see any way he's getting back on the field anytime soon.
Even thought they cant since it would be an agreed upon contract by them?

Given the new information about players suing, I think the ship has about sailed when it comes to him returning immediately. Maybe the suspension will be reduced down, but I even doubt that.

I'm holding in redraft until I hear more, but I really don't see any way he's getting back on the field anytime soon.
Sure they can. That doesn't necessarily mean that they would win a case, but if you think that lawyers and players won't try to work a deal...you're crazy. Also, I'm not sure how that would work for players that aren't currently in the league...

If it were that easy...I would assume the players who are currently suspended and not with their teams have very little say on what their team representative agrees to.

uh oh

Mary Kay Cabot@MaryKayCabot
Source told me that if #NFL lets Gordon and Welker back in, everyone dating back to new CBA in '11 will fight for revised suspensions and $$

11:30am · 9 Sep 2014 · Twitter Web
As well as they should....To go retro is a stupid bad decision.
Wow, did Josh Gordon steal your dog or something? What do you have against the kid?
Easy..he continually violates the terms of his employment and uses illegal drugs and many of you want to make him some kind of a cult figure..This is exactly what is currently wrong with our society, nobody wants to infuse personal responsibility in anyone...Oh he's not a bad kid, he is just misunderstood, lets give him another break...This kid needs to learn a lesson or it will end a lot worse for him than a 1 year suspension from a kids game.
Marijuana is legal. Do you have a link to him actually using illegal drugs?

uh oh

Source told me that if #NFL lets Gordon and Welker back in, everyone dating back to new CBA in '11 will fight for revised suspensions and $$

Wow, did Josh Gordon steal your dog or something? What do you have against the kid?
Easy..he continually violates the terms of his employment and uses illegal drugs and many of you want to make him some kind of a cult figure..This is exactly what is currently wrong with our society, nobody wants to infuse personal responsibility in anyone...Oh he's not a bad kid, he is just misunderstood, lets give him another break...This kid needs to learn a lesson or it will end a lot worse for him than a 1 year suspension from a kids game.
Could not have said it any better myself.Many posts in this thread have been mistakenly interpreted as posters "having something against" Gordon. Believing a person should be held accountable for the wrong they do != having something against them.

Last edited by a moderator:
NFLPA waits for final drug proposal from NFLThe NFLPA plans to vote tonight on the latest proposal from the NFL regarding a new drug policy. First, the NFLPA needs to get a proposal from the league.

As of this posting, that hasn’t happened yet.

“The players are prepared to vote on a proposal from NFL tonight but they will need something to review well in advance of that vote,” NFLPA spokesman George Atallah told PFT by phone. “As of right now, there’s nothing yet. Players have been informed of the status of the league’s proposal on an ongoing basis. [On Monday], [NFLPA president] Eric Winston and [NFLPA executive committee member] Brian Waters reiterated the importance of a fair due process for hGH testing, a line in the sand with respect to player discipline before a fair due process on DUIs, and also other issues that were important to them.”

Those other issues include the manner in which players are processed through the substance-abuse policy, and potentially an increase in the permissible marijuana metabolite concentration.

“There is no doubt that they are ready to strike a deal, but they need something to review before they can make a final decision,” Atallah said. “We also provided an update to certain agents in very broad terms on things that the players had already been informed about.”

And so we continue to wait. And wait. And wait.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/09/nflpa-waits-for-final-drug-proposal-from-nfl/

uh oh

Well I think I found the reason why so many people disagree about Gordon's suspension. Some people don't know the federal laws in this country.

Tom Pelissero ‏@TomPelissero 3m

Union wants standards of new policy enforced on any player suspended since March 11, 2014. Lot of guys could have cases reviewed.
Lots meaning how many? Seems the NFl wouldn't want to deal with this if it's "lots."
I think going back to that date AND accounting for whether they'd actually qualify as passing under the new rule set, would make the list less than 20ish names. Not a big deal either way, if it's a point of negotiation to get the deal done.

The times they are a changin'. Polls show a dramatic shift, a softening in the publics stance on legalization of marijuana as is demonstrated by new legalization laws in Colorado, Washington (and states that I can't remember).

The NFL got caught with their pants down on Ray Rice where they appeared to be tougher on penalizing pot smokers than guys that smack women. There's a lot of women fans of the NFL. They have a public perception issue where their priorities were shown to be wrongheaded.

This is all speculation but it appears that the NFL is attempting to adjust their player policies to more accurately reflect the values of their fans. In this new NFL wife abusers are dealt with harshly, followed by PED's and lastly recreational drugs.

Motivations:

Domestic violence: An increasing number of female NFL fans and female fantasy football players.

PED's: Political pressure from congress relating to reports that high school kids have emulated the pro's and it's caused health problems such as suicide and violence (steroids).

Recreational drugs: Public's softening stance and probability of future legalization of more states.

Also, the word choice and date of that statement are a positive for Josh Gordon's reinstatement. We have to get the NFL to agree to allow Gordon (a 2013 offender) back into the league due to a change of 2014 rules. They are asking now for all players suspended after March 11, 2014 to have their suspensions reviewed. This is the only way to include Josh Gordon because, though his offense was in 2013, his suspension did not occur until after the requested date. Kind of a duh statement but it definitely isn't a negative for the Gordon camp. This request is practically asking for Gordon to be reinstated. How else would you ask for that? Hey can we get all guys with 2014 offenses + Josh Gordon (2013 offense) to be brought back in? No, this is the way you do it.

uh oh

Not in Ohio.

Bayhawks said:
Also, the word choice and date of that statement are a positive for Josh Gordon's reinstatement. We have to get the NFL to agree to allow Gordon (a 2013 offender) back into the league due to a change of 2014 rules. They are asking now for all players suspended after March 11, 2014 to have their suspensions reviewed. This is the only way to include Josh Gordon because, though his offense was in 2013, his suspension did not occur until after the requested date. Kind of a duh statement but it definitely isn't a negative for the Gordon camp. This request is practically asking for Gordon to be reinstated. How else would you ask for that? Hey can we get all guys with 2014 offenses + Josh Gordon (2013 offense) to be brought back in? No, this is the way you do it.
What statement? All else being true, I agree that this is good for Gordon. It lets him back in without making it completely obvious that they are doing so.
Tom PelisseroVerified account ‏@TomPelissero Union wants standards of new policy enforced on any player suspended since March 11, 2014. Lot of guys could have cases reviewed.

Union wants standards of new policy enforced on any player suspended since March 11, 2014. Lot of guys could have cases reviewed.
uh oh

So, which is it? Back to 2011 seems prohibitive and a hornets' nest. But 3/11/14 seems doable.

Bayhawks said:
What statement? All else being true, I agree that this is good for Gordon. It lets him back in without making it completely obvious that they are doing so.
Tom PelisseroVerified account ‏@TomPelissero Union wants standards of new policy enforced on any player suspended since March 11, 2014. Lot of guys could have cases reviewed.
Didn't Gordon test positive in February?

Bayhawks said:
Thanks, I saw it, so I deleted my post.

uh oh

If the terms are changed, then you'll fully support him then right? As long as he is in compliance with all the rules?

That's the thing about all of this. All the hearings and appeals are just to determine whether or not he violated the rules and also to assess the proper punish if he did indeed break a rule. Its nothing personal for him either. He's going to challenge the rules, the way they are written, to the fullest extent allowed. Why wouldn't you want him to do that? A rule isn't a guideline, it's a rule. So if the rule is poorly written, then it is going to be challenged, as it should.

Bayhawks said:
Yes, and that would be prior to the start of the new league year - March 11.

Bayhawks said:
wasnt suspended til later tho

Lots meaning how many? Seems the NFl wouldn't want to deal with this if it's "lots."
Lol, exactly. Might want to stick somebody on that and see how many. That's just lazy reporting. I would think you'd at least be able to say 10-15 player or 50-90 players. Lots, indeed. :lmao:

Bayhawks said:
Yes, and that would be prior to the start of the new league year - March 11.
Actually I thought it was December but that doesn't have anything to do with when he was suspended.

uh oh

Well I think I found the reason why so many people disagree about Gordon's suspension. Some people don't know the federal laws in this country.
The ones that are not enforced? Child, please. If that is what you are hanging your argument on, you might as well go protest dancing at the town hall.

By the next CBA, marijuana won't even be a banned substance in the NFL - the times, they are a changin'

:oldunsure:

What are the odds Gordon could pass a drug test today, if he had to?
Pretty good i'd say. He said as much that he hasn't smoked since being drafted (lol?) but i bet his lawyers have had him keeping clean because they knew this was a possibility.

uh oh

If the terms are changed, then you'll fully support him then right? As long as he is in compliance with all the rules?

That's the thing about all of this. All the hearings and appeals are just to determine whether or not he violated the rules and also to assess the proper punish if he did indeed break a rule. Its nothing personal for him either. He's going to challenge the rules, the way they are written, to the fullest extent allowed. Why wouldn't you want him to do that? A rule isn't a guideline, it's a rule. So if the rule is poorly written, then it is going to be challenged, as it should.
No I won't support him... because the rules were changed expressly for his benefit which is even worse, because now "not only did I violate the rules, they actually changed the rules for me"... The lesson being don't worry Josh you can continue to be an irresponsible punk and do whatever the #### you want because you are untouchable...

Tom Pelissero @TomPelissero · 9m

Of course, that would require a new deal to be in place, and as of 5 minutes ago, the NFL hadn't given the union a new proposal to review.

Tom Pelissero @TomPelissero · 10m
===================================

http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=17&post_id=37241

Reinstatement of suspended Browns WR Josh Gordon is no longer if but whenSep 09, 2014

The Morning Kickoff …

J.G. on his way: The Browns never emptied Josh Gordon’s locker.

Twelve days after Gordon was suspended indefinitely – with his “eligibility for reinstatement (to be) determined following the 2014 season,” according to the principal’s note – Gordon’s neatly pressed jerseys and other team wear hang in his newly assigned locker, awaiting his return.

What does that tell you?

This wasn’t a 1- or 2- or 4-game suspension handed down by the NFL marijuana border patrol. This was the ultimate NFL suspension. INDEFINITE!!!! One-year minimum. Banishment.

Yet his locker wasn’t cleaned out? What, are they paying homage to him? Is there a candle in there somewhere burning until he returns?

Gordon’s high-powered team of lawyers, which set a record for volume of testimony in his appeal to the league “high court” on marijuana, never played the Star Caps chip and never filed suit seeking a court injunction to keep Gordon in uniform.

What does that tell you?

Gordon, a native of Houston, had no reason to stay in Cleveland during his indefinite suspension. He was locked out of Browns headquarters and unable to have any contact with the team. So why would he stay in Cleveland? To sell cars?

What does that tell you?

It tells me that that Gordon’s lawyers – probably even the Browns -- were tipped that he would be reinstated soon.

It’s all dependent on the NFL and the players union agreeing to a new drug policy, which could come as early Tuesday. If the union and the league dawdle, Gordon’s return would be delayed.

But his return is inevitable.

And when Gordon is reinstated, if I were him, I would sue for total reimbursement of every game check missed -- over $48,000 in his case.

Damage control: Gordon’s “crime” was testing positive for marijuana while he was in Stage 3 of the NFL’s flawed, if collectively bargained, substance abuse program.

Gordon reportedly registered a 16 (nanogram per millimeter) on the marijuana-o-meter – just 1 point above the ridiculously low NFL threshold of 15. Air traffic controllers are held to a threshold of 50. Olympic athletes have a threshold of 150.

The new NFL policy reportedly would set 50 as the new threshold, same as Major League Baseball.

Which would mean Gordon didn’t really flunk.

Which would mean Gordon was suspended for no reason.

Which would mean the leading receiver in the NFL last year should have been playing in Pittsburgh when the Browns lost by three points to the Steelers on Sunday.

Which would mean the Browns got kicked in the face by the Steelers (see: punter Spencer Lanning’s face mask meeting Antonio Brown’s right cleat) and by the NFL.

Meanwhile …

San Francisco pass rusher Aldon Smith received a nine-game suspension for violating two NFL policies.

Smith was suspended four games for a second drunken-driving arrest (substance abuse policy) and five games for a fracas in 2012 at a Smith party at which weapons were fired, Smith was stabbed, and five illegal weapons were found by detectives at Smith’s house (personal conduct).

Nevertheless, terms of Smith’s suspension allowed him to attend team meetings and use the 49ers’ facilities. Of course, he didn’t test positive FOR MARIJUANA.

Meanwhile …

Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice was suspended two games initially by the NFL in May for some sort of physical abuse of his future wife in an Atlantic City casino hotel elevator.

On Monday, the release of the security video inside the elevator by TMZ showed Rice belting his future wife with a hard left, dragging her out of the elevator on her knees and setting her on the floor, face down.

The video prompted the Ravens to fire Rice, to whom they had pledged their love and support. After the Ravens took the NFL off the hook, the NFL wielded an “indefinite” suspension.

Wow. That’s the same suspension as the one the NFL gave Gordon. For flunking a marijuana test by the slimmest of margins.

Of course, the players union had collectively bargained the terms of marijuana testing. I suppose that the idea of a football player belting a woman and dragging her out of an elevator never came up in league labor negotiations in 2011.

Another J.G. suspension to come: After Gordon is reinstated, he may eventually be subject to another suspension.

The league wants the new substance abuse policy to include a two-game suspension for a first-time DWI conviction. Gordon was arrested for DWI in Raleigh, NC, on July 5. Gordon’s hearing on that charge recently was postponed until November.

Drunken driving is a real bad thing. Suspension of Gordon for that offense, if convicted, would be justified.

The rest of this mess that the NFL and NFLPA find themselves in has been a bad comedy of errors.
Their have been many stories from various unconnected writers stating that Gordon either will or could be reinstated soon.

A few weeks ago one of the NFL Network guys on Cleveland Browns Daily said we would see Josh Gordon at some point this season.

It seems many players are worked-up over the Ray Rice fiasco which synchs up with the vote to change the drug policy. Apparently players are worked up and fed up with Goodell and want change and the policy to show how displeased they are.

Rodger won't be able to stomp his bootjack to the neck of the union anymore. His time as commish might not be long if he tries to impede the players on the league's draconian drug policy. His time might be done for many reasons, the lockout, indiscriminate suspensions in the past that showed no logic, the ridiculous drug suspensions, all intersecting with the indefensible Ray Rice saga. Gooddell is out of touch and so is the league drug policy.

uh oh

No I won't support him... because the rules were changed expressly for his benefit which is even worse, because now "not only did I violate the rules, they actually changed the rules for me"... The lesson being don't worry Josh you can continue to be an irresponsible punk and do whatever the #### you want because you are untouchable...
I agree wholeheartedly with what you are saying. The kid needs to take responsiblity for his actions. He makes millions of dollars playing in the NFL, something thousands of high school athletes can only dream of doing. He needs to realize this and stop being a punk, like you say.

Now, that being said, you can't deny the below. The levels that the NFL uses is ridiculously low when you compare it to other professional sports:

Damage control: Gordon’s “crime” was testing positive for marijuana while he was in Stage 3 of the NFL’s flawed, if collectively bargained, substance abuse program.

Gordon reportedly registered a 16 (nanogram per millimeter) on the marijuana-o-meter – just 1 point above the ridiculously low NFL threshold of 15. Air traffic controllers are held to a threshold of 50. Olympic athletes have a threshold of 150.

The new NFL policy reportedly would set 50 as the new threshold, same as Major League Baseball.

http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=17&post_id=37241

uh oh

I think he's a bonehead. And if he has to serve his suspension, I will say he had no one to blame but himself. Blaming Goodell is silly.

Beyond that, if he can squeeze through the cracks because they change the rules, and help my pretend football team gain a massive and unprecedented advantage, well then: #freejoshgordon.

uh oh

The ones that are not enforced? Child, please. If that is what you are hanging your argument on, you might as well go protest dancing at the town hall.

By the next CBA, marijuana won't even be a banned substance in the NFL - the times, they are a changin'
Regardless of how you feel about Gordon and his situation, this is a must-use phrase. :lmao:

uh oh

If the terms are changed, then you'll fully support him then right? As long as he is in compliance with all the rules? That's the thing about all of this. All the hearings and appeals are just to determine whether or not he violated the rules and also to assess the proper punish if he did indeed break a rule. Its nothing personal for him either. He's going to challenge the rules, the way they are written, to the fullest extent allowed. Why wouldn't you want him to do that? A rule isn't a guideline, it's a rule. So if the rule is poorly written, then it is going to be challenged, as it should.
Bet he plays on your lawn too. Laying the grumpy old man schtick on a bit thick here.

Times change, NFL doesn't care what these guys do unless it hurts their image. Pot on your own time is not an issue to many fans.

The way they have handled the whole thing is amateur hour, especially by their standards. Although they have kinda been on a roll over at HQ of f'ing things up.

uh oh

Mary Kay Cabot@MaryKayCabothttps://twitter.com/MaryKayCabot

If the terms are changed, then you'll fully support him then right? As long as he is in compliance with all the rules? That's the thing about all of this. All the hearings and appeals are just to determine whether or not he violated the rules and also to assess the proper punish if he did indeed break a rule. Its nothing personal for him either. He's going to challenge the rules, the way they are written, to the fullest extent allowed. Why wouldn't you want him to do that? A rule isn't a guideline, it's a rule. So if the rule is poorly written, then it is going to be challenged, as it should.
Bet he plays on your lawn too. Laying the grumpy old man schtick on a bit thick here.

Times change, NFL doesn't care what these guys do unless it hurts their image. Pot on your own time is not an issue to many fans.

The way they have handled the whole thing is amateur hour, especially by their standards. Although they have kinda been on a roll over at HQ of f'ing things up.
IMS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irritable_male_syndrome

Irritable male syndrome (IMS), is a term coined by a doctor working at the Medical Research Council's Human Reproductive Sciences Unit, in Edinburgh, Scotland, who studied the mating cycle of Soay sheep. During the autumn, the rams' testosterone levels soared and they mated. In the winter, testosterone levels fell and they stopped mating. As their testosterone levels were falling, rams became nervous and withdrawn, striking out irrationally. Dr. Lincoln has observed these same changes in behavior in red deer, reindeer, and Indian elephants. Thus the term covers symptoms thought to be caused by a drop in testosterone levels in male mammals that have well-defined mating cycles.[1] IMS is a striking feature in mammals with seasonal breeding patterns; it manifests at the end of the mating season.

The term was alternatively defined by Jed Diamond, an author and lay person, as a state of hypersensitivity, anxiety, frustration, and anger that occurs in male human beings; Diamond considered it to be part of the andropause, which he defined as hormonal, physiological, and chemical changes that occur in all middle-aged men. Diamond felt that Stress is a common trigger, especially when combined with rapid hormone changes later in life.

To be honest, I was around my friend who was smoking weed hanging out. I don't touch that stuff because I don't like how stupid I act so I don't smoke it. But if I were to get tested I'd get a higher level then Gordon.

uh oh

Sour grapes I guess. :shrug:

uh oh

Prohibition was the law of the land at one time too....didn't make it right. And it didn't last. And neither will federal legislation outlawing marijuana. Victimless crimes should not be legislated by the federal government nor the NFL.

Again, just because someone believes people should be held accountable for their actions does not mean they personally have it out for that individual. Believing Gordon should face the music for breaking the rules HE AGREED TO ABIDE BY WHEN HE SIGNED AN NFL CONTRACT is not a personal, unwarranted attack on him nor is it jealousy nor is it some old codger just not wanting to see a young guy have fun.

Seems lost on many of the apologists that Gordon has been in trouble for this at every level of his adult life. Maybe the NFL rules are draconian and need to be changed. Maybe they will be. Doesn't change the fact that they are the rules now and Gordon broke them. Lots of peeps have really greyed-up something that was awfully black and white IMHO.

uh oh

Prohibition was the law of the land at one time too....didn't make it right. And it didn't last. And neither will federal legislation outlawing marijuana. Victimless crimes should not be legislated by the federal government nor the NFL.
Go ask some of the folks who live in border towns by Mexico where the cartels run the show about victimless crimes.

uh oh

Go ask some of the folks who live in border towns by Mexico where the cartels run the show about victimless crimes.
Those people are victims of prohibition.

Users who are viewing this thread