What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (6 Viewers)

Mary Kay Cabot:

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Browns receiver Josh Gordon will be reinstated once the NFL's new drug policy passes -- as early as Friday afternoon -- but likely only for eight games, and it will ruffle some feathers, multiple league sources tell cleveland.com.

One league source said Gordon will likely be reinstated for about half the season because his positive test occurred in 2013, as early as January, the source said.

But he'd be rolled into the new agreement because his suspension didn't start until after the new league year began March 11.

Because Gordon tested positive in the 2013 league year, the NFL and NFL Players Association have negotiated a settlement that would enable him to get back on the field at the end of October or early November.

Gordon's eight-game suspension would most likely be retroactive to last week's opener in Pittsburgh. Depending on whether the bye week is counted, Gordon could return as early as a home game against Tampa Bay on Nov. 2, or at Cincinnati for a Thursday night prime-time game Nov. 6. Those are the eighth and ninth games on the Browns' schedule.

The bolded is what I was looking for. 8 games doesn't seem to fit in with current (soon to be former?) rules, so a negotiation regarding Gordon only seems to make sense.
That sounds like a haggling between 6 games (return Week 8 vs Oak, followed by vs TB) vs 8 games (return Week 10 @Cin). I've been thinking 8 games since the beginning but if there's wriggle room to hope it's that 2 week window maybe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mary Kay Cabot:

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Browns receiver Josh Gordon will be reinstated once the NFL's new drug policy passes -- as early as Friday afternoon -- but likely only for eight games, and it will ruffle some feathers, multiple league sources tell cleveland.com.

One league source said Gordon will likely be reinstated for about half the season because his positive test occurred in 2013, as early as January, the source said.

But he'd be rolled into the new agreement because his suspension didn't start until after the new league year began March 11.

Because Gordon tested positive in the 2013 league year, the NFL and NFL Players Association have negotiated a settlement that would enable him to get back on the field at the end of October or early November.

If Gordon also has a DWI hearing in November, and if convicted, would be suspended for two games for that. But a source said that Gordon could try to resolve the DWI early and serve it concurrently.

Several league sources have told cleveland.com that if Gordon's suspension is revised, others who tested positive in 2013 will fight to have their suspensions revised.

One of those sources said agents will argue that players dating all the way back to the new CBA in 2011 will fight to have their sanctions changed.

"It will open a can of worms,'' said one.

Gordon's eight-game suspension would most likely be retroactive to last week's opener in Pittsburgh. Depending on whether the bye week is counted, Gordon could return as early as a home game against Tampa Bay on Nov. 2, or at Cincinnati for a Thursday night prime-time game Nov. 6. Those are the eighth and ninth games on the Browns' schedule.

Gordon has been 'very optimistic' about being reinstated, his new boss, Jeff Sarchione, of Sarchione Auto Group told cleveland.com.
Way to bury the lead, Mary Kay Cabot.

I still think the NFL would be better off with current suspensions dropped if they would have passed under the new rules. This partial lifting for some players, full lifting of suspension for others just seems too random.

I see now....basically there was an explosion of confidence because Soulfly returned, but no real new information. Typical of this thread I suppose.
No, you're missing a lot it seems.
What am I missing? The Schefter tweet? That's not just another tweet about how Gordon's suspension may be reduced? Meanwhile Mort is saying he'll be reinstated immediately? I don't understand what's real information that we didn't have yesterday. We already knew he might be reduced or reinstated.
You're right. Soulfly's return is the only reason in the explosion of confidence. Not the multiple reports from credible NFL reporters that a NFLPA vote will take place this afternoon to pass a deal with 8 games being the consensus number that Gordon's suspension will be reduced to.

It's just soulfly and no new info has come about today. Carry on.
That's not news though....

Rapaport just said on air that his suspension could be 'reduced'. Now if they give him 8 games , that's a disaster to those going all in on these waivers tonight or last night.
I didn't go back as far as I could have, but this is from 2 days and 8 pages ago.....what's different today?

So if guys are being reinstated, and the past effectively reinterpreted, could that affect Gordon's standing in the drug program? i.e. might be not be in Level 3 any more?

I see now....basically there was an explosion of confidence because Soulfly returned, but no real new information. Typical of this thread I suppose.
Two hours ago, from Shefter:

dam Schefter @AdamSchefter · 2h
When a new drug policy is approved as early as this afternoon, Josh Gordon's suspension expected to be reduced to 8 games, per source.
This could still be NFL sources not showing their cards..
Definitely true, but when Shefter kind of makes a stand/call, I feel like he's usually got the goods.
Yesterday he said on NFL Insider deal was already done.

Mort > Schefter IMPO

:wall:

As a new member this is troublesome. Soulfly, False Start and MassRaider have ruinded this thread or are the reason for every bickering session almost.

You all are embarrassing yourself guys. This is a shame, all three of you fighting like children.

Soulfly, please stop making it seem as if you knew something others didnt. It is pretty well documented that you have not been very accurate and when you are challenged you troll others to get a rise. Who shares PMs from others on the site? If that isnt classless, regardless of what was said, what is?

False Start, let it go. Man do you destroy every thread with your opinion. We get it, you know all about everything, thanks for sharing. Please stop now.

MassRaider - Why are you even involved in trying to encourage them two and their dispute? What benefit is it to you. Are we supposed to think you are something of a great contributor because you are trying to anger others intentionally?

Mods, please get a grip on this because I see very few speaking up against this type of issues and I am starting to believe it is the norm. I do feel its ironic from what I read that Soulfly comes back from a suspension and immediately starts to antagonize others, with a little help from others.
Some good points.

I'll just add that this is a terribly difficult thread to moderate because just trying to keep up with it can be rather tedious. Every time I open it, there are three new pages to get through.

Mary Kay Cabot:

If Gordon also has a DWI hearing in November, and if convicted, would be suspended for two games for that. But a source said that Gordon could try to resolve the DWI early and serve it concurrently.

Several league sources have told cleveland.com that if Gordon's suspension is revised, others who tested positive in 2013 will fight to have their suspensions revised.

One of those sources said agents will argue that players dating all the way back to the new CBA in 2011 will fight to have their sanctions changed.

"It will open a can of worms,'' said one.

Gordon has been 'very optimistic' about being reinstated, his new boss, Jeff Sarchione, of Sarchione Auto Group told cleveland.com.
The bolded is what I was looking for. 8 games doesn't seem to fit in with current (soon to be former?) rules, so a negotiation regarding Gordon only seems to make sense.
FYI, Mary Kay has no more 'sources' than anyone in this thread (i.e. Schefter's Twitter).

I picked up Gordon in all three of my leagues -- a 10, 12, and 14 teamers.

So assuming 8 games, where do you keep or drop?

* 10 team league -- Will be tough to hold onto him. Thinking drop. Lots of studs out there.

* 12 team league -- Think you have to hold, but it's close.

* 14 team league -- Gotta hold.

* 10 team league -- Will be tough to hold onto him. Thinking drop. Lots of studs out there.

Entirely dependent on roster size, what your WR situation is, and bye weeks.

Assistant Coach forum. Thank you.

Gordon gets full reinstatement = hilarious

Gordon gets 8 games = hilarious

Gordon still has to serve 16 games = hilarious

Is this possibly the first ever, no bad option thread? It'll be $$$$$ regardless

Agree with 10 Team Leagues but, if you are winning or can get through the Byes you hold. You only drop if you need to "win now" But odds are, Gordon is simply replacing that late round sleeper anyways.

Assistant Coach forum. Thank you.
If you assume he plays this year I cant see dropping him at all

this isnt hard people

I gotta say I am surprised at the 8 games because that's still more games than 6 games which is the domestic violence suspension. So people can still say its worse to smoke weed than to beat your girlfriend which is what I thought the NFL was trying to get away from.
JGs level wer so low that it may have just been a contact buzz and he may not hyave even smoked it...
Yup, he's being suspended 8 games for testing positive to insignificant levels of an innocuous substance, whereas Welker is granted amnesty despite being popped for a drug that can cause brain damage and even death.
Such is the difference between a first positive test and a .... what is Gordon on? Four?

Yeah why would anyone drop him. If your that desperate , trade him. But if say Demarious Thomas got injured and would not be back until week 9-10 would you drop him. And if you did he would be the waiver wire pickup of the year.

He absolutely should not be dropped if he plays 8 games. If you have no room, you do what you can to keep him. If you don't want to wait for him to come back, you trade him. Last year I kept Vereen the whole time. Gordon will provide more value than Vereen did and thus, there is no way I'd consider dropping him.

Yeah why would anyone drop him. If your that desperate , trade him. But if say Demarious Thomas got injured and would not be back until week 9-10 would you drop him. And if you did he would be the waiver wire pickup of the year.
Haven't seen 'Demarious Thomas' on my waiver wire....

oooooooooooooooooooooooo

Browns coach Mike Pettine expressed some skepticism Friday that Josh Gordon will rejoin the team after his eight-game suspension is through.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported Friday that Gordon's ban is expected to dip from 16 to eight games pending the approval of a new drug policy. "I'll believe it when I see it," were Pettine's words. The Browns likely view anything they get from Gordon as a 2014 bonus. Fantasy owners should have the same approach.
ammo for the haters!!!

Wouldn't drop him in any format. If you're that concerned, trade him.

I'd rather keep an every week starter/difference maker that'll help in weeks heading into playoffs/playoffs than the likes of the bye week fillins that lie end of bench.

oooooooooooooooooooooooo

Browns coach Mike Pettine expressed some skepticism Friday that Josh Gordon will rejoin the team after his eight-game suspension is through.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported Friday that Gordon's ban is expected to dip from 16 to eight games pending the approval of a new drug policy. "I'll believe it when I see it," were Pettine's words. The Browns likely view anything they get from Gordon as a 2014 bonus. Fantasy owners should have the same approach.
ammo for the haters!!!
It depends on how much coin he's bringing in from his car dealership gig.

As someone who has picked up Gordon in both leagues I'm in, I don't really understand how reducing Gordon's suspension to 8 games limits any exposure the NFL has regarding previous players suspended since 2011. What's the difference between 0 & 8 legally?

As someone who has picked up Gordon in both leagues I'm in, I don't really understand how reducing Gordon's suspension to 8 games limits any exposure the NFL has regarding previous players suspended since 2011. What's the difference between 0 & 8 legally?
This is the strange part

There would literally have to be a Josh Gordon clause in the Policy. Not joking either.

It's either wiped away or stays put. Unless they literally add a special Josh Gordon clause, which halves his suspension - which I for some reason cant see the nflpa giving in on.

But who knows

oooooooooooooooooooooooo

ammo for the haters!!!
They botched their analysis of this.

The tweet this blurb is based on says, "I'll believe it when I see it," regarding Josh Gordon coming back after 8 games (i.e., he's saying he'll believe a reduction in the suspension down to 8 games when he sees it). He's not expressing skepticism that if the suspension is reduced Gordon will return after serving it.

oooooooooooooooooooooooo

ammo for the haters!!!
I don't know about ammo, but I do wonder how much knowledge the coach would have concerning the negotiations.

oooooooooooooooooooooooo

ammo for the haters!!!
Really odd phrasing from rotoworld, considering this is the source: #browns Pettine not getting his hopes up about josh Gordon returning after 8 games: "I'll believe it when I see it." Very different statement obviously.

oooooooooooooooooooooooo

ammo for the haters!!!
They botched their analysis of this.

The tweet this blurb is based on says, "I'll believe it when I see it," regarding Josh Gordon coming back after 8 games (i.e., he's saying he'll believe a reduction in the suspension down to 8 games when he sees it). He's not expressing skepticism that if the suspension is reduced Gordon will return after serving it.
Maybe he is wisecracking that Gordon will f-up again.

I'm not sure. But the NFL clearly wants to draw distinction between 2014 violators and those from previous seasons, as they seem unwilling to grandfather in players like Gordon under the new policy. However, Gordon's case has been the impetus for revamping the NFL's antiquated marijuana policy. So I surely hope that the NFLPA is fighting hard in these final moments to have his suspension overturned.

Could also be Pettine taking a cheap shot at the league.

Who knows.

I dont read into it - he wants his star receiver back. End of story

the thing is that if it were a court of law and not the NFL dictatorship, Gordon would not have gotten suspended. A reading of 16 when the limit is 15, has to be within margin of error and the second reading of 13.5 is below the limit. If he had a reading of 40, then getting 8 games would be a big win, but given that he was only questionably over the limit to start with, makes it still seem like he got shafted a bit...

One thing I believe when coaches say it is, "I'm worried about the guys that I DO have."

Pettine saying, "I'll believe it when I see it", sounds like a healthy response, that all of us should have probably adopted as a mantra.

That's what he SHOULD have said. I like Rotoworld, but sometimes, Oy.

Users who are viewing this thread