What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (6 Viewers)

What a bad deal for the Browns if he gets 10 games.

They'll probably be out of playoff contention by then and they'll lose a year off his rookie contract.
Do they lose a year off the contract? I thought he had to be eligible for eight weeks.

What a bad deal for the Browns if he gets 10 games.

They'll probably be out of playoff contention by then and they'll lose a year off his rookie contract.
Do they lose a year off the contract? I thought he had to be eligible for eight weeks.
play 6 games, you get credited for the year
forgot about that, so once he gets pinched for the DUI he doesn't get credit for the year,

Now it's time for him to sue the NFL. Suspended 10 games for a 4th violation even though it doesn't count as a violation any longer. I expect him to sue and return by next week.
Definitely expect a suit and then a compromise less than 10. NFL league offices are currently reeling and any more bad press is just making it worse for them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now it's time for him to sue the NFL. Suspended 10 games for a 4th violation even though it doesn't count as a violation any longer. I expect him to sue and return by next week.
Definitely expect a suit and then a compromise less than 10.
we havent been told by one official source yet that it's 10 games.

Id hold tight.
I just had flashbacks to five months ago where you were insisting that Gordon wasn't suspended because we hadn't heard it from an official source yet.

Definitely expect a suit and then a compromise less than 10.
we havent been told by one official source yet that it's 10 games.

Id hold tight.
I just had flashbacks to five months ago where you were insisting that Gordon wasn't suspended because we hadn't heard it from an official source yet.
flashback to your heart's content.

I didnt say he isn't suspended. So try another angle.

He'd already decided not to sue because he doesn't have a case. The adoption of the new policy doesn't change anything in that regard.

His violation still counts, according to the new policy, since it occurred before March 11. At least that's what's being reported. (If the violation actually doesn't count under the new policy, there will be no need to sue, because Gordon will simply be reinstated just like Wes Welker.)
But the 10 game suspension for a 4th is an application of the new agreement right?

But for what would be a non-violation under the new agreement?
It is a violation under the new agreement. Based on what's being reported, the new agreement says that 35 ng/ml was the effective standard as of March 11 of this year, and 15 ng/ml was the standard before that.
Ok I see, they incorporated the prior standard I guess. Thanks.
Regardless, it seems unjust to apply the new policy retroactively in this manner. Why not apply the new standards to all players currently being disciplined under the old policy? Instead, they based it off of something that's completely arbitrary, namely, the date of the failed test.
Dates of failed tests is not completely arbitrary, really.

I'm 90% sure it'll be 10 games based on reports.

But the news that they still have to finalize and agree on suspension reductions. there is a little hope for less.

He'd already decided not to sue because he doesn't have a case. The adoption of the new policy doesn't change anything in that regard.

His violation still counts, according to the new policy, since it occurred before March 11. At least that's what's being reported. (If the violation actually doesn't count under the new policy, there will be no need to sue, because Gordon will simply be reinstated just like Wes Welker.)
But the 10 game suspension for a 4th is an application of the new agreement right?

But for what would be a non-violation under the new agreement?
It is a violation under the new agreement. Based on what's being reported, the new agreement says that 35 ng/ml was the effective standard as of March 11 of this year, and 15 ng/ml was the standard before that.
Ok I see, they incorporated the prior standard I guess. Thanks.
Regardless, it seems unjust to apply the new policy retroactively in this manner. Why not apply the new standards to all players currently being disciplined under the old policy? Instead, they based it off of something that's completely arbitrary, namely, the date of the failed test.
The date of failed test is a morally arbitrary factor. It's no more wrong to test at 16 ng/ml in December 2013 than it was to test at that same level in March 2014.

Im tired.

Gonna roll w it being 10 games.

A small victory for Gordon and Browns fans.
It's actually the worse case scenario for the Browns (assuming they are not playoff contenders) since they will now only get six meaningless games out of him and he'll be one more year closer to free agency. It's actually unfair to them . Here's to hoping they are in playoff contention in Week 11 at least.

Definitely expect a suit and then a compromise less than 10. NFL league offices are currently reeling and any more bad press is just making it worse for them.
He won't have grounds for a suit. If the NFL and NFLPA negotiate a policy that has language that calls for his offense to be a 10 game punishment, then he, by proxy, agrees to that deal, since the NFLPA is representing him. Now, if the language of the policy doesn't allow for a 10 game punishment, that's a different story, but I can't see the NFL making that dumb of a mistake.

He won't have grounds for a suit. If the NFL and NFLPA negotiate a policy that has language that calls for his offense to be a 10 game punishment, then he, by proxy, agrees to that deal, since the NFLPA is representing him. Now, if the language of the policy doesn't allow for a 10 game punishment, that's a different story, but I can't see the NFL making that dumb of a mistake.
You should really think about that...

It was either the rule at the time of your test or it wasn't.
But we already know that's not the agreement. Six months before the agreement vs eight months before is arbitrary.
A lot of information out there. It's my understand (which could be incorrect) that the agreement is/will be worded so that Gordon's test (and others in that time range) will be tested according to the old thresholds, but the punishments will be according to the new policy?

That sounds like they are trying to cut down Gordon's suspension (but not eliminate it), so they inserted this clause specifically for him; as I'd imagine there aren't a lot of guys who failed tests in that same time span, but were over the old threshold, but under the new one.

You should really think about that...
I'm not saying the NFL doesn't make mistakes; however since they seem to be going to great lengths to reduce but not eliminate Gordon's suspension (see my previous post), I can't imagine they'll "forget" to word the contract/policy in a way that is legally binding.

Isn't this 4th offense invalid when you factor in the new levels? That would seem to make the case tor immediatevreinstTement- retroactively apeaking he didn't violate.

I really don't quite get this... how does he have 4 violations already? I thought the 16 game suspension was for his 3rd violation, where is this mystical 4th one coming from? And even if there is a 4th one (possibly the DUI? Which shouldn't count yet as it hasn't gone through the court system, so the NFL shouldn't touch it till later on)... did this arbitrary March date get drawn up just to screw the guys like Gordon, Blackmon and Washington whom they don't want back just yet?

View 1 new Tweet

1. Chris Mortensen@mortreport 2m
    NFL says no agreement yet on drug policy. Still "unresolved issues." One may be reinstatement of players for this weekend. One procedural

WTF? I'm sick of this...just let everyone off suspension, sign the damn deal, and get it over with!

And someone fire all these reporters who have to have the scoop, so they report "news" before it is, you know, actually news. :wall:
It's been pretty clear all along that it's an ongoing negotiation and "reporters" are just passing along what they're being fed from either side. Some are feeding from the league, others from the PA. Some info is what they want to the other side to hear is done before it's done, some is just somebody saying what they think might happen. It couldn't be more obvious that it's a fluid situation right up until a deal is signed.

I think Gordon just wants another challenge. Suspended two games, leads league in receiving.

Suspended 10 games... lead the league in receiving? Only need to average 250 yards per game... LET'S DO THIS!

So, regardless of what happens. It doesn't sound like his career is in imminent danger any longer. Those that sold him for pennies, how do you feel?
Had an offer on the table for my Gordon CJ Anderson and James White for Spiller and Bryce Brown last week. I didn't take it because I wanted to see how this would work out. On Monday I countered with Gordon James White and Latimer for Spiller Bryce Brown and Kelvin Benjamin and took it. Today I am ecstatic. Had he been reinstated immediately I still would be fine because I don't believe he can stay clean for more than seven months at a time.

So, regardless of what happens. It doesn't sound like his career is in imminent danger any longer. Those that sold him for pennies, how do you feel?
Had an offer on the table for my Gordon CJ Anderson and James White for Spiller and Bryce Brown last week. I didn't take it because I wanted to see how this would work out. On Monday I countered with Gordon James White and Latimer for Spiller Bryce Brown and Kelvin Benjamin and took it. Today I am ecstatic. Had he been reinstated immediately I still would be fine because I don't believe he can stay clean for more than seven months at a time.

I still think the NFL would be better off with current suspensions dropped if they would have passed under the new rules. This partial lifting for some players, full lifting of suspension for others just seems too random.
its not random. the thug gets more games than the gritty intelligent white guy. same as it ever was. just like what this thread wants.

go back and read the welker thread and compare it to this one. how many ppl are highly critical of welker?

FWIW, I'm watching ESPN and they have Adam Caplan on live and while addressing the retroactive rules he said "Let me give you a quick example here, Eagles Right Tackle Lane Johnson, he's not going to have his 4 game suspension reduced because that comes under the PED policy, now Josh Gordon is under substance abuse, that is where the difference is and why Josh Gordon and Orlando Scandrick and Wes Welker...that's why it looks like they will get there's rolled back and that's really the big difference between the two" then the announcer responded to that with "so it looks like Wes Welker will be eligible to play on Sunday, no word yet on Josh Gordon"

(I tried to rewind it and copy word for word)

Last edited by a moderator:
FWIW, I'm watching ESPN and they have Adam Caplan on live and while addressing the retroactive rules he said "I'll give you an example here, Eagles Right Tackle Lane Johnson, he's not going to have his 4 game suspension reduced because that comes under the PED policy, now Josh Gordon is under substance abuse, that is where the difference is and why Josh Gordon and Orlando Scandrick and Wes Welker...that's why it looks like they will get there's rolled back and that's really the difference between the two" then the announcer responded to that with "so it looks like Wes Welker will be eligible to play, no word yet on Josh Gordon"

Yeah... which is my main confusion in this whole thing. I don't understand why the suspensions could be retroactive but not the tests themselves.

Honestly, I'm kind of blown away at how little the increase was in the marijuana policies. Like...

Aaron Hernandez murdered several people, Ray Rice made an audition tape to get on the next season of the Ultimate Fighter by hitting his wife and Adrian Peterson whipped a four year old kid repeatedly with a switch. Yet somehow Josh Gordon can't take a hit of a bong and Justin Blackmon can't get drunk...

Maybe if Ray Rice, Aaron Hernandez and Adrian Peterson were getting high on pot every night none of this #### would happen because they'd be too lazy to leave the couch. Instead of thinking about being violent they'd just be thinking about how upset they are that the Frittos bag is empty and the Seinfeld reruns are over for the night.

FWIW, I'm watching ESPN and they have Adam Caplan on live and while addressing the retroactive rules he said "Let me give you a quick example here, Eagles Right Tackle Lane Johnson, he's not going to have his 4 game suspension reduced because that comes under the PED policy, now Josh Gordon is under substance abuse, that is where the difference is and why Josh Gordon and Orlando Scandrick and Wes Welker...that's why it looks like they will get there's rolled back and that's really the big difference between the two" then the announcer responded to that with "so it looks like Wes Welker will be eligible to play on Sunday, no word yet on Josh Gordon"

Caplan doesn't strike me as particularly thoughtful or analytical. I don't think he's considering the possibility that Gordon might be considered a special case.

Seriously Gordon doesn't really deserve a reduction.......he has violated the policy possibly 4 times and has been in the league two years,,If he gets 10 as reported he should count his blessings. Maybe this is the wake up call that is needed.,,He is 23 years old and still has a whole career and a truck load of money ahead of him....Stay clean Josh and you will be able to name your price one day.

I'm pretty happy with any reduction in Gordon's suspension. Being able to play 6 games is a small win. If they get it reduced even more.....awesome! Question is...can he actually stay out of trouble for 2-3 months? Odds are he gets busted again in the next few months. Recap the past 6 months......caught riding around with his buddy who received a possession charge, dropped dirty for hanging out with his buddies from 2nd hand smoke, and then drunk driving while he is appealing his year long suspension. I hope he finally gets it but I don't think he will.

I know there are allot of Amish in Ohio....maybe Josh needs to get circle of Amish friends to hang with. Pretty sure they don't smoke, drink, or even listen to hip hop music.

Seriously Gordon doesn't really deserve a reduction.......he has violated the policy possibly 4 times and has been in the league two years,,If he gets 10 as reported he should count his blessings. Maybe this is the wake up call that is needed.,,He is 23 years old and still has a whole career and a truck load of money ahead of him....Stay clean Josh and you will be able to name your price one day.
i searched for your name in the wes welker thread and couldnt find any outrage there. not surprising. hes gritty, hard working, intelligent, and was proly tricked by his dealer anyway. it clearly wasnt his fault that he violated a policy. but that gordon guy, well we need to send him a message. he needs to learn his place and realize how lucky he is that we let him sacrifice his body for our entertainment. amirite?

Users who are viewing this thread