What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (4 Viewers)

I had him in 2013-- he won me close to 5K. Not too worried about your assessments of my teams. We could certainly compare if you would like

You will not find a much bigger advocate for the legalization of marijuana than me.

But if its true that Gordon tried to get through the airport with a pound of weed on him then that is just off the charts stupidity and recklessness.  WTF!
That has to be a fake story. Nobody is that stupid ... I think. :unsure:

Watch him land on his feet in New England for the stretch run... and than sign up for a 3 year Moss like stint, before getting PAID by some #### franchise like Detroit only to get busted again
I don't see any chance BB allows a guy with Gordon's well documented history of trouble (not to mention being a known associate of Manziel) near his locker room. Not gonna happen.

I'd go further to say (after the Browns cut him) its an extreme longshot Gordon is on any NFL roster any time soon (if ever again). I am sure Rog told Gordon he didn't have to let him back in but was going to because he believed in him. I am sure he told him don't #### this up and make an ### out of me. Gordon just made Rog look like a ####### ### and I am sure Rog is none too happy about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Corey Dillon, Randy Moss, LeGarrette Blount, Chad Johnson, Albert Haynesworth, Brandon Meriweather, Aqib Talib and Donte Stallworth all disagree with you.
All of those guys had their warts but none of them was in Gordon's class in terms of repeated stupidity/trouble when BB took them in.

All of those guys had their warts but none of them was in Gordon's class in terms of repeated stupidity/trouble when BB took them in.
Well, one could also argue that Gordon plays in a vastly more scrutinized era - both in terms of media/social media coverage & Goodell and his "new sheriff if town" regime. 

Its certainly possible a lot of those players were every bit as much trouble as JG, but either got away with it with local LE, or were given a pass by the media/team. 

When i was a boy in the 1970s or even 80s, a player had to murder someone or get caught with a van-load of weed to even make the news. 

From what i understand, "North Dallas 40"  was a fairly accurate depiction of the NFL back then. 

If Gordon played back then, none of this would be spoken of until he retired. 

Well, one could also argue that Gordon plays in a vastly more scrutinized era - both in terms of media/social media coverage & Goodell and his "new sheriff if town" regime. 

Its certainly possible a lot of those players were every bit as much trouble as JG, but either got away with it with local LE, or were given a pass by the media/team. 

When i was a boy in the 1970s or even 80s, a player had to murder someone or get caught with a van-load of weed to even make the news. 

From what i understand, "North Dallas 40"  was a fairly accurate depiction of the NFL back then. 

Yeah to all of this. They were also underpaid and risked lifetime injury EVERY game. $$$$$millions $$$$$ to not smoke pot is a little different. JMHO.

Your point on the media is well taken though.

This is just a ploy to not have to play in Cleveland. He is going to get cut, picked up by the Patriots and go on to have a few solid years.

Hot Sauce Guy said:

Back in the day, guys had jobs during the offseason to make ends meet. Back in the day, guys who were 6'5 235 were not playing WR. Times change. A player in the League today has to play by the current rules and conditions. Gordon doesn't get a pass because some player in the past partied and got away with it. Gordon knows he's breaking the rules.

Hot Sauce Guy said:

And BB isn't under any extra public scrutiny or anything.

And BB isn't under any extra public scrutiny or anything.
It's irrelevant - it's the era in which he's coaching. 

I actually did not comment on whether or not the Pats would pick him up provided he avoids jail time or other off-field shenanigans and successfully rehabs for drugs/alcoholol/midget pron/etc. For what it's worth, I think he's exactly the type of reclamation project that the Pats would take a chance on. 

Hell, I hope my Niners take a chance on him if he is successfully rehabilitated and gets his life together - they sure could use a talent like that. He is only 26 years old, and with very low mileage, in football terms. 

But this isn't really what I was posting about - just making an observation that if this were 1977 we wouldn't know anything about Gordon's off-field issues because he never would have been suspended for pot or alcohol, we wouldn't know anything about his baby mamma, and as a result he wouldn't be at all likely to be checking into rehab. 

It was a different world then - that's all I'm saying. 

SERIOUS Q: If ASJ was cut for a DUI and picked up by NYJ, why couldn't Gordon get cut by CLE for drug usage and picked up by any other team who wants him?

If ASJ is gonna play despite his infraction, why couldn't JG?

:doh:

You don't think BB has adapted to this different world?
What?

i didn't say that either. Yes, BB has adapted to this different world. But only one of us is talking about BB. You. In relation to BB, the point was made about other troubled players he's taken on and I am in agreement he may pursue Gordon IF he gets his life together. 

With that post I was not making a point about BB, i was making a point about Josh Gordon. You know, that guy who this topic is about.  :rolleyes:

You seem to be intent on making a point for me that I'm not making, so I'll just leave you be to post back and forth to yourself. 

SERIOUS Q: If ASJ was cut for a DUI and picked up by NYJ, why couldn't Gordon get cut by CLE for drug usage and picked up by any other team who wants him?

ASJ is still facing a suspension from what I read the other day.

Gordon is also facing being banned from the league on his last strike.

Because ASJ doesn't have the same history. In theory, ASJ could be suspended by the NFL for his DUI - I'm not sure if that has yet been determined. Josh Gordon was suspended for a year for substance abuse, then came back and was suspended again for 4 games this year. And now he's checked himself into a rehab facility. 

In theory, Gordon could get out of rehab, and get picked up by an NFL team - but in reality he'll likely be in treatment for months, since that's typically how it works. 

Moreover, it is probable that those in here speculating are correct - he likely would have failed a drug test (which seems obvious since he checked himself into rehab) so in order to avoid testing positive he took this route. Which may leave the door open for coming back to another team next season, IF he didn't already fail a test that we don't know about. But this entire last paragraph is speculation. 

Only if he has a positive drug test, which we don't know yet. It's certainly possible he did this to dodge a drug test...

Hasn't ASJ had multiple infractions as well?

That was also my understanding - players can play while their cases are reviewed by the league, but a suspension could be handed down at any time. 

Bingo. Dunno if rehab wa a way to avoid a positive test, or if he had a positive test and rehab is a last ditch effort to show Goodell he's changed. 

I read something along the lines of ASJ having some past history in college with a lot of alcohol related issues, but nothing that would warrant suspension in the NFL (besides the recent DUI).

Is there ANY hope Gordon plays this year before I put him on IR and lock him out of my active roster for the season?  Waivers running tonight...would be nice to get some official news on this!

Is there ANY hope Gordon plays this year before I put him on IR and lock him out of my active roster for the season?  Waivers running tonight...would be nice to get some official news on this!
I'd say there's a 1% chance. 

"so you're saying there's a chance?"

lol - I'd IR him. Sure, it's possible he finishes up his rehab stint and some team takes him on, provided there's no news about a drug-related suspension coming down. 

Seems like a lot of bullets to dodge, and this is Josh Gordon, master of not dodging bullets. But there's nothing official about him being done for the year except Rotoworld who calls this "the end of his career" and the Browns who sound like they're washing their hands of him. 

Only if he has a positive drug test, which we don't know yet. It's certainly possible he did this to dodge a drug test...

I cant imagine that checking into rehab absolves him from taking a drug test for the nfl.

I cant imagine that checking into rehab absolves him from taking a drug test for the nfl.
I think it might. If he's in rehab, he's not playing for the Browns. If the Browns have released him, he's not employed by the NFL. They can't force him to pee in a cup if he's not an employee of the league. 

Users who are viewing this thread