What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (7 Viewers)

5th round pick Juron Criner was 6-3, 224, 10.5" hands, 38" vert and ran a 4.54 at his Pro Day.
this is a good comparison and what Gordon probably would have been worth. Look at Stephen Hill went in round 2 but ran a 4.3 at 6'4". I think the Browns reached.

I like Gordon, but think using what's probably going to be an early 2nd on him is crazy. But if the Browns wanted him that's probably what they needed to do. Suspect there were other teams lined up behind them with later 2nds.

I like Gordon, but think using what's probably going to be an early 2nd on him is crazy. But if the Browns wanted him that's probably what they needed to do. Suspect there were other teams lined up behind them with later 2nds.
Word is that Buffalo, who had the slot right in front of Cleveland, was going to pick him at the top of the 3rd.Also, Cleveland was the only team that had Gordon in for a visit, supposedly.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's the 4th best WR prospect in the 2012 class, so I think we paid fair value.

Our commissioner picked this guy up before any of us seemingly had the chance. Sheisty move?
he has been getting added in leagues Im in for about a week now.
Dynasty owners who already had their rookie drafts and have no league rules that otherwise prohibit adding free agent players who are draft eligible but not yet on an NFL roster are sometimes referred to as sharks round these parts if they roster these types of players before everybody else.

As a Browns fan, I just don't know enough about this guy to be thrilled or not. Our 2nd rounder could be as high as #1 next year, so the potential #33 overall pick just seems like a lot to give up. Of course if he turns out, it will be a bargain.

I just do not know enough at this point-never seen any video on him. :mellow:

Talent-wise he might higher than 4th. But the suspension and year out of football have to be factored in there somewhere IMO. Basically the Browns paid full price for him, as if he had no off-field problems.

Talent-wise he might higher than 4th. But the suspension and year out of football have to be factored in there somewhere IMO. Basically the Browns paid full price for him, as if he had no off-field problems.
The reports I've read have been better than the ones I've read about the 33rd pick in the draft, Brian Quick. And the lack of quality game film isn't any different than Quick and another 2nd round pick, Stephen Hill. This is not a steal by any means, but it was fair value and the 'reach' talk is insane. In fact, I'm hearing that had we put in a 3 on him we wouldn't have gotten him.

I totally Agree with these 2 TWeets by Cecil Lammey. This is what it comes down to.

Cecil Lammey ‏@cecillammey

for those saying "OMG 2nd round!" know that many scouts had 3rd round grade on him, pick is based off potential, not production

Cecil Lammey ‏@cecillammey

CLE went with 2nd rder cause they had BUF in front of them every round, #bills interest made them go a round earlier than expected #nfl

I still think, given their investment in Weeden, that it was a move they needed to make. The fact they get a WR ayear ealier then whoever they would have picked next year, with an extra year of development and chemistry with Weeden, is worth an extra round or two of value I think. Not sure that would apply to a team with a younger rookie QB.

does cleveland have extra picks next year due to the julio jones trade? do did they burn all of them to move up and get T-Rich? Seems to me they should of just taken Julio?

does cleveland have extra picks next year due to the julio jones trade? do did they burn all of them to move up and get T-Rich? Seems to me they should of just taken Julio?
I think we just have our slate of picks, so we're now down a 2. I'll be very surprised if our #1 next year is spent on something else other than a DE.We basically flipped Julio into Phil Taylor, Greg Little, and Weeden. I'm no Weeden fan, so given that swap I'd prefer Julio but if we had taken someone I wanted instead of Weeden I like our side more.

We basically flipped Julio into Phil Taylor, Greg Little, and Weeden. I'm no Weeden fan, so given that swap I'd prefer Julio but if we had taken someone I wanted instead of Weeden I like our side more.
Julio is the best player in that deal, by far. Quality always trumps quantity.

We basically flipped Julio into Phil Taylor, Greg Little, and Weeden. I'm no Weeden fan, so given that swap I'd prefer Julio but if we had taken someone I wanted instead of Weeden I like our side more.
Julio is the best player in that deal, by far. Quality always trumps quantity.
Usually, but in a case like Cleveland's they needed more quality bodies. The front office believes they have 3 starters from this deal and given how little there were before this deal (Joe Thomas, Alex Mack, Joe Haden, TJ Ward, Athyba Rubin, DQ) that's a very good reason they needed to do what they did.

Cleveland Browns take Baylor WR Josh Gordon in 2nd round

By Rob Rang | The Sports Xchange/CBSSports.com

The Cleveland Browns drafted Baylor wide receiver Josh Gordon in the second round of the 2012 supplemental draft.

Gordon was the only one of the eight players eligible for the draft that was selected. Carson Newman linebacker Larry Lumpkin and TCU running back Ed Wesley are the likeliest of the seven remaining players to sign with an NFL team as an undrafted free agent. The others are Boise State defensive back Quaylon Ewing, Syracuse fullback Adam Harris, Iowa State offensive lineman Adrian Haughton, Georgia defensive end Montez Robinson and McMurray wide receiver Houston Tuminello.

The Browns made their aggressive move despite the fact that they "won" the second pick of each round in the 2012 supplemental draft and therefore could have beaten out every team other than the Buffalo Bills, who were awarded the first pick as part of the "lottery" the NFL uses in determing the supplemental draft order each July.

The 6-3, 224 pound Gordon certainly boasts the size and athleticism to warrant such a lofty grade but teams generally are loathe to give up such high picks in the supplemental draft. The last time a player was selected as high as the second round in the supplemental draft came in 2003 when the Houston Texans selected former Georgia Tech running back Tony Hollings. No one player has been selected in the first round since former Duke quarterback Dave Brown in 1992.

Cleveland had demonstrated a great deal of interest in Gordon prior to Thursday's draft. They selected defensive tackle Phil Taylor out of Baylor in the first round in 2011, strongly pursued a trade up to take Robert Griffin III this year and publicly acknowledged that they would have taken Kendall Wright with the No. 22 overall pick this past April had he not been selected by the Tennessee Titans two picks earlier. By selecting former Oklahoma State quarterback Brandon Weeden at No. 22 instead, the Browns have committed to improving their passing game and needed weapons. Gordon joins second-year pro Greg Little, veterans Josh Cribbs and Mohamed Massaquoi and fellow rookie Travis Benjamin as the team's current primary pass catchers.

The Browns will lose their second round pick in the 2013 NFL Draft with this move.

It will be very interesting to see what impact Gordon, who only has one true season of college football under his belt, will have for the Browns in 2012 ... as well as the caliber of talent available when Cleveland would have selected in the second round next April.

The reaction by others throughout the league following the Browns selection was equal parts surprise and negative.

Said one high-ranking NFL executive speaking on the condition of anonymity, "I was stunned that [the Browns] took [Gordon] that high. What a roll of the dice... and in the second round? That's the No. 34 overall pick!"

Another showed his reaction to the news via a text: "Desperate move. Wow. Staff is on the hot seat trying to make something happen..."

Former league executive Tony Softli, who last served as the Vice President of player personnel for the St. Louis Rams and previously as the director of college scouting for the Carolina Panthers, had this to say about the selection on Twitter: "Cleveland Browns make a pivotal decision in 2012 Supplemental Draft that could have a negative rippling effect on front office and coaches"

The complete selection order determined by the weighted lottery system used by the NFL was as follows:

1.Buffalo

2.Cleveland

3.Tampa Bay

4.Miami

5.St. Louis

6.Minnesota

7.Washington

8.Jacksonville

9.Indianapolis

10.Carolina

11.Philadelphia

12.San Diego

13.Tennessee

14.Oakland

15.Arizona

16.Kansas City

17.Seattle

18.Chicago

19.New York Jets

20.Dallas

21.San Francisco

22.Houston

23.Pittsburgh

24.Atlanta

25.Cincinnati

26.Baltimore

27.New England

28.New Orleans

29.Green Bay

30.Denver

31.Detroit

32.New York Giants

The hype continues:

@ChrisWesseling #Browns "fully expect" Gordon to help as a rookie. NFL source tells @TonyGrossi he would've been top-10 pick in 2013:
LOL, that's a load of CROCK!! TOP 10???? WOW so either he is better than both Allen and Woods or we would have 3 WRs taken within the 1st 10 picks!?!?!Hell I have Terrance Williams ranked #8 for the 2013 WR Class and Terrance is a much better athlete!!

'bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
Cleveland will still be an awful offense 3 years from now and wondering what happened to all those high picks. People forget that it took Holmgren a long time to turn around Seattle and they were ready to fire him before they finally started winning and I believe it was after they took a lot of his gm responsibilities away. Then they had a very short window and became awful again. I think he's a lot better coach then gm is the point. I don't like any of the moves they made this year. All desperate moves to win next year instead of good long-term investments. You should be trying to win the super bowl and be good for years to come.

'benson_will_lead_the_way said:
In FF, not in the NFL. Give me 3 quality starters vs 1 pro bowler any day.
In the NFL there are 53 players on each team. Of those 53, maybe 5 are difference makers. A great team might have 10. Guys that win games. But it's not a large number. The other 40 guys are more or less interchangeable, with the other 40 guys on other teams or even with street free agents. Julio Jones is a difference maker. Phil Taylor, Brandon Weeden and Josh Gordon are not difference makers.

Little also played right away after not playing football for over a year and having no off season before August. He was in on a limited basis until he earned more reps that were implemented after the bye. I expect the same to happen to Gordon, limited basis until after the bye as long as he shows signs of development. Then he is the fulltime starter, especially because I expect the Browns to be out of it by then and playing for 2013 anyway.

In the NFL there are 53 players on each team. Of those 53, maybe 5 are difference makers. A great team might have 10. Guys that win games. But it's not a large number. The other 40 guys are more or less interchangeable, with the other 40 guys on other teams or even with street free agents. Julio Jones is a difference maker. Phil Taylor, Brandon Weeden and Josh Gordon are not difference makers.
If Phil Taylor winds up being a top 3-4 nose tackle, that's worth a top WR by himself. How many WRs would the Steelers have traded Casey Hampton for?

That's an exaggeration. Good teams build around a core of about 8-10 core players, 15-20 secondary players, 10-15 young guys, and the rest are interchangeable. The Browns circa 2 years ago has less than 5 core players, less than 10 secondary players, and not much to speak of re projectable youth. Julio Jones wasn't the right fit for this team.

Cleveland will still be an awful offense 3 years from now and wondering what happened to all those high picks. People forget that it took Holmgren a long time to turn around Seattle and they were ready to fire him before they finally started winning and I believe it was after they took a lot of his gm responsibilities away. Then they had a very short window and became awful again. I think he's a lot better coach then gm is the point. I don't like any of the moves they made this year. All desperate moves to win next year instead of good long-term investments. You should be trying to win the super bowl and be good for years to come.
Holmgren.is.not.the.G.M.of.the.Browns.

I don't like any of the moves they made this year. All desperate moves to win next year instead of good long-term investments. You should be trying to win the super bowl and be good for years to come.
What would you have suggested? Take Julio and then???? Anything that involves staying with McCoy is a worse long term solution imo.

draft robot?

Ex-Baylor Gordon tops 2012 Supplemental Draft prospects

Tony Pauline

Excerpt:

The NFL's second draft is set to take place Thursday, as eight former college players hope to be selected in the supplemental draft.

Last July, the Raiders surprised everyone when they selected Ohio State quarterback Terrelle Pryor in the third round. This year, many will be surprised if Josh Gordon -- the top prospect available -- is selected with anything lower than a second-round pick.

Teams will have the opportunity Thursday to submit bids on the players they want; whoever commits the highest pick to a prospect is awarded the player and will have to forfeit that pick in the 2013 draft next April.

Josh Gordon, WR, Baylor

6-3 | 224 lbs. | 4.50s

Bio: Started five of 13 games as a sophomore in 2010, finishing with 42 receptions, 714 yards and seven TDs. Saw action in nine games during the 2009 campaign. Suspended from the Baylor program in July 2011 for violation of team rules, then transferred to Utah. Forced to leave the Utah program due to financial constraints. Attempted to transfer to Houston for the 2012 season but was told he would have to sit out the season due to NCAA regulations.

Positives: Tall, fluid pass catcher with tremendous upside potential. Plays with great balance as well as body control. Has large, soft hands and easily makes the reception in stride. Consistent hand catcher and extends to make the reception away from his frame. Shows quickness into pass routes and uses his frame to shield away defenders and protect the ball. Displays good eye/hand coordination and makes the difficult reception with defenders draped on him. Quickly transitions from making the catch to running after the reception and keeps the play in bounds trying to pick up positive yardage. Deceptively fast for a large receiver. Effective downfield blocker.

Negatives: Rough around the edges and needs work on the details of the position. Lacks a quick release off the line of scrimmage and is a long strider who takes a while to get to top speed. Not a sharp route runner. Does not show a second gear on the field. Productive just one season on the college field.

Analysis: After Gordon's breakout campaign in 2010, NFL scouts were excited for his future before the suspension interrupted his career. He's a tremendous athlete who has an effortless style and possesses the physical abilities to develop into a No. 1 receiver at the next level. At one time considered a better prospect than former teammate Kendall Wright, the first-round pick of the Tennessee Titans last April. Gordon will need time to develop his game, but he's worth the risk of a second-round selection. Second Round.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's amazing that people still don't know this.

Wrong on the first and you have no idea on the next two. No one does at this point.

I like the pick. Browns need playmakers and his size/athleticism alone gives him NFL upside. Maybe they paid too much, but if they really feel he's an NFL caliber starter and wanted him, they might have feared the Redskins would also spend a two. It's not like he's a 29 year old college QB they drafted in the first. That pick of Wheeden still blows my mind.

Compared to who he replaced he is.

Users who are viewing this thread