What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (9 Viewers)

How many times is he going to remain relevant? 
To the league or to fantasy conversations?  I'm a big fan of Gordon's.  I think he was dealt a bad hand with the marijuana thing and I have never understood the league's stance on the drug.  We would rather get people addicted to opioids than allow them to manage their pain/anxiety through smoking some weed.  

Fantasy relevance will remain, so long as he is a talented 28 year old wide receiver with potential.  

How many times is he going to remain relevant? 
Once. For a year. But that will likely be enough for people / teams to think that he can be that player again.

Stories coming out of NE now that (allegedly) JG was late to meetings, was hard to locate, may not have gone all out in practice, and had developed a questionable work ethic. Who knows how valid those claims are.

According to PFF, of the 70 receivers that had at least 30 targets this season, they ranked Gordon 58th.

Anarchy99 said:
Once. For a year. But that will likely be enough for people / teams to think that he can be that player again.

Stories coming out of NE now that (allegedly) JG was late to meetings, was hard to locate, may not have gone all out in practice, and had developed a questionable work ethic. Who knows how valid those claims are.

According to PFF, of the 70 receivers that had at least 30 targets this season, they ranked Gordon 58th.
Frankly, I''m getting tired of JG.

Anarchy99 said:
Compensatory picks are based on annual contract value. Here is a list of the free agent signings and what picks they are projected for in the 2020 draft . . .

Jamison Crowder - $9.5 million - 4
John Brown - $9 million - 4
Cole Beasley - $7.25 million - 5
Cordarrelle Patterson - $5 million - 6

Here is the list of what players actually qualified for from the 2019 draft . . .

Sammy Watkins - $15.8 million - 3
Donte Montcrief - $9.6 million - 4
Taylor Gabriel - $6.5 million - 5
Danny Amendola - $6 million - 5
Ryan Grant - $5 million - 6

You don't think Gordon could sign even a one year deal somewhere that would pay him enough to qualify for a compensatory pick?

If the team that gave him up signed no one in FA, sure. How big do you think his contract will be? And will the team thay let's him walk sign no one?

If the team that gave him up signed no one in FA, sure. How big do you think his contract will be? And will the team thay let's him walk sign no one?
Looking at what free agents WR’s have been getting (and the names on that list), someone will probably offer him a one year deal for $8-10 million. 

Compensatory picks are awarded based on net adds and losses. It’s impossible at this point to speculate if he could turn into a pick but he would be used in the pick determination process. So depending upon what he signs for, he could be spotted at the 4th or 5th round level in the pick determination formula. 

Looking at what free agents WR’s have been getting (and the names on that list), someone will probably offer him a one year deal for $8-10 million. 

Compensatory picks are awarded based on net adds and losses. It’s impossible at this point to speculate if he could turn into a pick but he would be used in the pick determination process. So depending upon what he signs for, he could be spotted at the 4th or 5th round level in the pick determination formula. 
one year 8-10 million is absurd. Guy hasnt played 16 games since 2012, with substance abuse problems, mental illness, and wasnt very effective on the Patriots- where presumed turd wrs go to have exceptional seasons

Furthermore, the fact that NE let him walk when he could be a compensation pick speaks volumes to me; they are the masters at manipulating the comp pick system

Last edited by a moderator:
one year 8-10 million is absurd. Guy hasnt played 16 games since 2012, with substance abuse problems, mental illness, and wasnt very effective on the Patriots- where presumed turd wrs go to have exceptional seasons

Furthermore, the fact that NE let him walk when he could be a compensation pick speaks volumes to me; they are the masters at manipulating the comp pick system
What WR are getting is absurd. Guys like Amendola and Gabriel were $6 million a year and Moncrief and Crowder were $9-10 million. Even $6 million a year wold get a credit of a fifth round pick in the compensatory ledger. 

It only takes one team to think Gordon can return to his glory days in Cleveland. I don’t think the risk of suspension would be a deal breaker. If he gets suspended, the team doesn’t have to pay him. There are plenty of dumb teams out there. Teams like the Bengals, Raiders, or Redskins come to mind. I wouldn’t go to great lengths to sign him, but I am not an NFL GM. 

TVT 0 N S T A said:
As a Gordon owner, my perfect landing spot for him would be Green Bay (also on this list)... and on paper it looks like an ideal setup.  However, I have been to Green Bay and am convinced there is nothing to do there but eat Cheese Curds and smoke weed.  Gordon doesn't seem like a cheese curd guy.  For his sake and the longevity of his career... I hope he goes somewhere wtih a support system to keep him off the Devil's Lettuce.
You sell Green Bay and all of Wisconsin short.  There is also drunk driving, particularly on ice, ice fishing, bowling, and hogging. 

Ministry of Pain said:
Bears can't use the ones they have now, Oakland and Pittsburgh I can see. 

I don't see Gordon doing much better than 50-60 yds a week no matter where he ends up. 
Gordon would be a perfect fit for the Bears. He'd pretend to get open and Trubisky would pretend he was looking for him.

Gordon said to have been claimed and will not become a free agent. Team is waiting to announce the signing to let the player losing his roster spot know first.

A team has claimed him 

GB could be a nice one... get a few games out of him. The rest of their WRs have been pretty pedestrian, aside from Lazard doing ok for a game or two. Gordon would compliment Adams well

Giants not the team. By my research, MIA, DAL, OAK, PHI, ATL, BUF, WAS, NYG, KC all out so far.

Ravens would be awesome.  Especially a few days before they face New England - thats a bonus - but they could really also use him in that offense.

By my research, MIA, DAL, OAK, PHI, ATL, BUF, WAS, NYG, KC, TEN, TB all out so far.

Have the Bengals been ruled out?

-----------------------------------------------------

Chris Roling‏ @Chris_Roling

Bengals were second...

Safid Deen  💯 💯 💯 💯Verified account @Safid_Deen

WR Josh Gordon may have been claimed on Friday. But not by the #Dolphins, who had first dibs on the waiver wire https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-dolphins-josh-gordon-20191101-3omkblkierewvcaj3wpi46mxsu-story.html …

1:28 PM - 1 Nov 2019

Schefter tweeting it was the Bills, which goes against other tweets I have seen.

EDIT TO ADD: Seems like a bogus Schefter account, so scratch that.

By my research, MIA, DAL, OAK, PHI, ATL, BUF, WAS, NYG, KC, TEN, TB, NOS, CHI, LAC all out so far.
We may get there by eliminating the teams before we get an announcement from the actual team.

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet 40s40 seconds ago

More

The #Seahawks have claimed former #Patriots WR Josh Gordon, source said. QB Russell Wilson gets his wish.
DK and JG is the dream but JG suffers from some sort of social anxiety where he self sabotages.  

Unfortunately I think this ends like his other stops, he'll tease then disappoint and waste time/hope/effort.

DK and JG is the dream but JG suffers from some sort of social anxiety where he self sabotages.  

Unfortunately I think this ends like his other stops, he'll tease then disappoint and waste time/hope/effort.
I agree.

But from a fantasy standpoint, it means yet another “sell” window has opened for owners still holding the bag.

Seahawks claimed Gordon 
This is a kind of weird move.   The Seahawks shy away from controversy in the locker room and preach competition in practices.   The Pats said part of the reason for Gordon's release was that he had a poor work ethic.   Also, the Seahawks only throw 25 or so times a game.   If you target Lockett 8-10 times, Metcalf 4-5 times, and the RB 5 times, you only have a handful of targets left.   

He doesn't seem to fit a need or the character of this team.

Rotoworld:

Seahawks claimed WR Josh Gordon off waivers from the Patriots.

Coach Pete Carroll said, "He’s a unique talent. Next week we’ll take a look and see what he looks like." Gordon is apparently healthy after being released from the injured reserve list by the Patriots, although he won't suit up Sunday against the Buccaneers. Tyler Lockett is safe in the slot, while electric rookie D.K. Metcalf figures to continue to see a majority of reps in 2-WR sets. Gordon's presence will most likely relegate David Moore and Jaron Brown to the bench. Flash is far from washed; he demonstrated some elite contested-catch ability and made plenty of solid plays after the catch in six games with the Patriots this season. Still, the Seahawks' run-first offense will struggle to enable more than one or two consistent fantasy WRs more weeks than not.

RELATED: 

New England Patriots

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter.

Nov 1, 2019, 4:54 PM ET

I'm pretty surprised he made it all the way to Seattle, who had, I believe the 26th waiver priority. 

Gordon is a no-risk, high reward flier, for a team with maybe the most organizational stability west of NE. 

Fantasy wise, this is probably mostly a benefit for Russell Wilson, as Gordon should at the very least, be an upgrade from Jaron Brown. In theory, this could hurt Metcalf and even Lockett slightly, depending on how involved Gordon becomes. 

Probably a slight boost to Carson as well, as adding another WR threat, could open some more space, and lead to more GL chances.

I'm pretty surprised he made it all the way to Seattle, who had, I believe the 26th waiver priority. 
28th 

Current NFL waiver claim priority:
1. MIA
2. CIN
3. WAS
4. ATL
5. NYJ
6. NYG
7. DEN
8. TB
9. CLE
10. LAC
11. CHI
12. PIT
13. OAK
14. ARI
15. TEN
16. JAC
17. PHI
18. DET
19. CAR
20. LAR
21. DAL
22. HOU
23. KC
24. BUF
25. BAL
26. IND
27. MIN
28. SEA
29. GB
30. NO
31. NE
32. SF

Haven’t heard this take yet.  But Lockett and DK were not Wilson’s preferred redzone option.  It was Dissly prior to his injury.  Gordon should take targets from Brown, Moore and what Dissly left behind...including preferred redzone option as the best high ball player on the team.

WR3 at least

Haven’t heard this take yet.  But Lockett and DK were not Wilson’s preferred redzone option.  It was Dissly prior to his injury.  Gordon should take targets from Brown, Moore and what Dissly left behind...including preferred redzone option as the best high ball player on the team.

WR3 at least
Metcalf had more RZ targets than Dissley when they were both playing. 

Nobody thinks there has to be a shoe about to drop?  If he's healthy why would the Patriots release him?  Why would he be passed up by 27 teams who could have him for free?  Something stinks.  And again, he hasn't gone a year without failing a drug test since 10th grade.

Users who are viewing this thread