What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (4 Viewers)

I for one, will always root for the man personally and professionally. I only know we'll likely be disappointed again. I don't think he'll find any peace until long after his playing days -- or the situations within which he coasts by because of his former talent -- are over and done with.

You'll likely never catch me not wishing him luck unless he turns to violence in some form.
He’s hurt no one but himself. No reason not to pull for the guy.

He’s hurt no one but himself. No reason not to pull for the guy.
Pulling for him is one thing, but the fact remains he hasn't done anything in a long time when on the filed.  So for fantasy purposes I don't see it.  I would think it's time for the fantasy community to move on.

Pulling for him is one thing, but the fact remains he hasn't done anything in a long time when on the filed.  So for fantasy purposes I don't see it.  I would think it's time for the fantasy community to move on.
Ok - I don’t think he’s any great fantasy asset either. I didn’t really comment on that at all.

This is mostly true, but in 4 of the 5 seasons he played after his breakout year, he was on pace for roughly 1,000 receiving yards projected over a full season. It’s unlikely he turns over a new leaf and will play a full season, but on the field he was still a fantasy consideration. 

The point being, he produced as a WR3 or as a flex when he played (except last year). He’s basically a waiver wire claim or last round draft pick these days. Given that his acquisition costs are bottom of the barrel, I won’t begrudge anyone having him on a fantasy team as a flyer. He’s also the type of player that is easy to drop for a better option if there is someone decent on the waiver wire. 

Given that his acquisition costs are bottom of the barrel, I won’t begrudge anyone having him on a fantasy team as a flyer. He’s also the type of player that is easy to drop for a better option if there is someone decent on the waiver wire. 
Sure, no begrudging, but not my cup of tea.  At some point you have to move on from players.  Especially those that are 30 and haven't really produced for fantasy in many years.  It's really that simple.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure, no begrudging, but not my cup of tea.  At some point you have to move on from players.  Especially those that are 30 and haven't really produced for fantasy in many years.  It's really that simple.
Again, “produced” is a relative term. On a full season basis, Gordon clearly has not been a blip on the fantasy radar. But on a per game basis, when he actually plays he still has been an ok fantasy option. He has had weeks where he produced as a WR 2/3 and has at least been a decent injury/bye week fill in. IMO, last guy on the roster is not much of an investment to see where he lands and certainly won’t hurt a fantasy squad any when he most likely flames out. Different strokes for different folks. I can certainly see people wanting nothing to do with him as well. 

I could see a little buzz if KC took a shot on him as their #2 WR position seems in question. Other than that I have zero interest.
Wondering if this pun was intended or not...

Sure, if Gordon landed in such a fantasy friendly situation, there would be some interest.   I always root for him on a personal level but thought he looked old in New England.   In a pinch, such a short fantasy play-off run, he could find his way into fantasy relevance again.  There are better flyers.

Certainly it depends on the depth of your league.

I dropped ihmir smith-Marsette for him, from a roster spot that’s on the outside looking in to make the regular season roster. Feels like he’s got a higher chance of a value spike between now and then.

It’s been posted about before but when it comes down to total flyer picks after the guys you actually believe in are gone, there’s something to be said for the concept of urgency—the idea that I’ll know sooner whether a guy is worth keeping one way or the other instead of tying up a roster spot forever or likely dropping for a bye week filler before he gets his shot. I feel like Gordon will either be clearly worth something or clearly worthless by the time my cut deadline rolls around, which I like.

The NFLPA recommended free agent WR Josh Gordon be reinstated after successfully completing his NFL-monitored treatment program.

Gordon himself is awaiting final approval from Commissioner Roger Goodell but is said to be in shape and vaccinated ahead of any calls. Now 30, Gordon has made only 28 appearances since 2014, most recently being released by Seattle after he suffered a setback with substance abuse and sought immediate help in December. He last appeared in Week 15 of the 2019 season.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Sep 14, 2021, 4:13 PM ET

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the NFL reinstated free agent WR Josh Gordon. 

He'll be eligible to play in Week 4, though he obviously has to sign with a team to do so. Now 30, Gordon last appeared in Week 15 of the 2019 season, being available for only 28 games since 2014. The Saints and Seahawks, especially given his ties to the latter, are two receiver-needy teams that could look into his services immediately.

Sep 24, 2021, 2:40 PM ET

Someone in my league will pick him up, but I just can't go there again. Not sure what he has in the tank anyway at this point.

It's over. Even the threads are sparsely populated, and more defined by the clingers-on to the past. We waved goodbye to that ship that set sail a long time ago.

Sorry, Shamrock. Even the festive part of the debate is dead. It's just..well...Trey Sermon came a'-courtin', and we all have to get our daughters ready for the presentation.

This thread is indestructible. I'm sure the Lions won't sign this guy, but he would instantly be the best WR on the team if they did. 

This is mostly true, but in 4 of the 5 seasons he played after his breakout year, he was on pace for roughly 1,000 receiving yards projected over a full season. It’s unlikely he turns over a new leaf and will play a full season, but on the field he was still a fantasy consideration. 

The point being, he produced as a WR3 or as a flex when he played (except last year). He’s basically a waiver wire claim or last round draft pick these days. Given that his acquisition costs are bottom of the barrel, I won’t begrudge anyone having him on a fantasy team as a flyer. He’s also the type of player that is easy to drop for a better option if there is someone decent on the waiver wire. 

Also on the actual football field, look at the guys some teams are currently starting at WR. 35 year old Danny Amendola is still a starter in the this league when healthy, which is almost never. If there was ever a last chance season for Gordon to make a final comeback attempt at 30 years old, this is the season.

Josh Gordon signing with the Chiefs on a Monday is the most Josh Gordon thing he could have done.

I wonder who in my league will burn their WW priority on him, cuz it won’t be me. 

NBC Sports Edge take:

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports free agent WR Josh Gordon is planning to sign with the Chiefs' practice squad.

Gordon will work with the practice squad until getting up to speed, so we will likely have to wait a few weeks before seeing the former star return to the field. The 30-year-old receiver most recently played for Seattle in Week 15 of the 2019 season. Before joining the Seahawks, Gordon played six games for the Patriots, averaging 48 yards per game. While Gordon won't be looking like his 2013 self, his most recent film shows a player who still possesses explosive athleticism. If he can find a consistent role in Kansas City and stay out of trouble, he could become a meaningful part of the Chiefs' offense, which has struggled to find receiving production outside of Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce. 

Sep 27, 2021, 4:12 PM ET

I have no idea if Gordon will do much of anything in KC, but the fact that they are interested has to be seen as them basically throwing in the towel on Mecole Hardman being anything more than a gadget guy.

Yep and it aligns with what we have actually seen on the field. He's a burner but not a great route runner and not always on the same page as Mahomes. 

I posted this a couple of days ago in the faux Josh Gordon thread, relocating it now to the King of Threads:

I totally get the pessimism, but what if he A) doesn't relapse and B) makes a serious attempt at playing in the NFL?  

Josh Gordon signing with the Chiefs on a Monday is the most Josh Gordon thing he could have done.

I wonder who in my league will burn their WW priority on him, cuz it won’t be me. 
:shrug:  he was picked up last week in most of my leagues. I took him in one. No waiver priority. 

Thought about the pickup bc of the news but decided not to. Not that I don’t love him but simply that he’s not going to decide my season on any team at this point. I’m rooting for him, but even if he took all the mecole usage he is still a wr 4 at best. 

NotSmart said:
I posted this a couple of days ago in the faux Josh Gordon thread, relocating it now to the King of Threads:

I totally get the pessimism, but what if he A) doesn't relapse and B) makes a serious attempt at playing in the NFL?  
Did you post this a couple days ago, or 5 years ago?

Users who are viewing this thread