What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Justin Jefferson, MIN (3 Viewers)

How much does Minny's QB situation scare people away from drafting JJ high? Where do you think he should go / where does he rank compared to the Lamb/Hill/Chase/St. Brown/Brown of the world?
Little bit, yeah.

He went on an absolute tear over the last four games last year. But different quarterbacks and that really feels like it could have been lightning in a bottle.

However, Darnold & JJM are capable enough in this offense that I wouldn't drop him too low just because of it.

I still slot him above AJ Brown because I think their collapse last season is equally alarming. Plus all the news out of camp suggests that Devonta Smith is absolutely balling right now. Throw in Saquon and it's easy to see how AJ doesn't reach the peaks we thought he could last season. Yes, I do see the argument that Smith and Barkley could open things up for AJ.

To me, the question with JJ isn't where he slot so much with the other wide receivers. It's which running backs would you take over him? If any.

Took him at 1.5 in a PPR redraft this morning. At the pace he was on last year before he went down, he really didn't deserve to fall like this, but I was happy to take him.

Last edited:
How much does Minny's QB situation scare people away from drafting JJ high? Where do you think he should go / where does he rank compared to the Lamb/Hill/Chase/St. Brown/Brown of the world?

He went on an absolute tear over the last four games last year. But different quarterbacks and that really feels like it could have been lightning in a bottle.
He played Detroit twice and brutalized what we had rolling at CB which was the worst in the league by a mile. The other two games (CIN/GB) he had 20 targets for 12-143-0. Also for all his faults Mullins wasn't afraid of losing his job and had zero problem slinging it into traffic.

He's too talented not to get his but he's yet to end up on any of my teams

I’m not worried about it one bit. He performed up to his usual standard with backup QBs last season and I personally love McCarthy as an NFL QB. He was the 2nd most pro ready QB in the draft after Caleb for me. Jefferson is an absolute steal at his ADP this season. People are quick to forget he was going #1 overall last season.

He’s going to be force fed targets no matter who is at QB and he’s the best WR in the NFL at creating separation.

I'm very worried...he's obviously not going to be a jag but i don't know he is top 3 either

I was very much in kface's boat for most of this offseason.
Just watched 'Receiver' on Netflix.
Then my High Stakes partner reminded me what a recovered, healthy Jefferson was able to do late last year with JAG's under center.

Now I'm aligned with MrSoup to a degree. I have my concerns about McCarthy, but Darnold was basically gift-wrapped to O'Connell as a QB who ought to be able to effectively run that system, in every way better than how it looked EOY 2023. Jefferson separates like very few of his peers. He will get open.

The supporting cast isn't great - Addison in trouble, Hock not ready for the start of 24, so my biggest worry is if the other pass catchers running around on the field can prevent JJ from being manhandled...but I trust that KO'C is a good enough schemer to find ways to create room for JJ to work his magic.

I have a National Draft mid-week, mid-round slot, and unless CMC, Breece, CDL, Tyreek, Chase or ARSt.B were to fall, I'd take him. That means taking him over Bijan if I had to choose between the two.

O’Connell will scheme him open and with his separation ability he will get his. Touchdowns may be a bit on the low side, but if healthy he could see 170+ targets this year.

I’m not worried about it one bit. He performed up to his usual standard with backup QBs last season and I personally love McCarthy as an NFL QB. He was the 2nd most pro ready QB in the draft after Caleb for me. Jefferson is an absolute steal at his ADP this season. People are quick to forget he was going #1 overall last season.

He’s going to be force fed targets no matter who is at QB and he’s the best WR in the NFL at creating separation.

I'm very worried...he's obviously not going to be a jag but i don't know he is top 3 either

Then my High Stakes partner reminded me what a recovered, healthy Jefferson was able to do late last year with JAG's under center.

Now I'm aligned with MrSoup to a degree. I have my concerns about McCarthy, but Darnold was basically gift-wrapped to O'Connell as a QB who ought to be able to effectively run that system, in every way better than how it looked EOY 2023. Jefferson separates like very few of his peers. He will get open.

The supporting cast isn't great - Addison in trouble, Hock not ready for the start of 24, so my biggest worry is if the other pass catchers running around on the field can prevent JJ from being manhandled...but I trust that KO'C is a good enough schemer to find ways to create room for JJ to work his magic.

I have a National Draft mid-week, mid-round slot, and unless CMC, Breece, CDL, Tyreek, Chase or ARSt.B were to fall, I'd take him. That means taking him over Bijan if I had to choose between the two.
Why would Chase or Amon Ra Lamb or Hill be ahead of Jefferson?

Tyreek's a cut above the rest to me . I am trying to sort those next 3 out and right now would put JJ on top of that group but not over Tyreek.

This is not a wild opinion, it's not unanimous but it's consensus.

Tyreek's a cut above the rest to me . I am trying to sort those next 3 out and right now would put JJ on top of that group but not over Tyreek.

Sure I can see why that would be.

But is that because Tua is --> Darnold/McCarthy?

Seems to me the main reason to not expect as much from Jefferson is more about the QB than the WR right?

Or do you have Hill as greater than Jefferson despite the QB?

BTW I do think the players being mentioned are all in the same tier. So it's the little things that make a difference in how one ranks them if that is the case.

Totally rational to go with consistency over the unknown.

Little bit, yeah.

However, Darnold & JJM are capable enough in this offense that I wouldn't drop him too low just because of it.

I still slot him above AJ Brown because I think their collapse last season is equally alarming.
The Eagles' collapse was caused by horrible coaching from the coordinators -- Brian Johnson was a Matt Canada-level OC -- and the players' subsequent loss of faith in them. Shouldn't be an issue this year. Yes, Kelce is retired, but OL coach Jeff Stoutland, who has been with the team since the Chip Kelly years, is the best in the business.

Sure I can see why that would be.

But is that because Tua is --> Darnold/McCarthy?

Seems to me the main reason to not expect as much from Jefferson is more about the QB than the WR right?

Or do you have Hill as greater than Jefferson despite the QB?
Tyreek's fantasy season last year was slightly better then any fantasy season that Jefferson has had. What Tyreek did with Mahomes is not overly relevant but if you lined up Tyreeks two seasons in Miami with every season of JJ's career Tyreek's seasons would be first and third.

So that's the baseline and from that point start to think about things that could improve or potentially get worse since this hobby is not as easy as just chasing previous year's stats.

That's where the QB situation does come into play and pushes Tyreek into a slightly other tier.

Long story short Tyreek has been slightly better then Jefferson since he got to Miami and IMO has less risk associated with maintaining his level of statistical performance.

Tyreek's main risk of not performing to his level from last year would be that despite showing no outward effects of age it starts to sligthly lead to a decline or perhaps injuries. Also a Tua injury would be far worse to him then a Darnold injury to JJ. That IMO is still not as high of a risk of breaking in two new QB'.

FWIW I would draft Tyreek at 1.1 as we sit here today, but that will change if Lamb will report in a timely manner.

If I’m picking 5-6-7, it’s JJ If he’s there, and it’s a freakin bargain.

I’m just sayin. Darnold, JJM, heck, trade for Zach Wilson - I’m still picking JJ ahead of any RB not named CMC.

Little bit, yeah.

I still slot him above AJ Brown because I think their collapse last season is equally alarming.
The Eagles' collapse was caused by horrible coaching from the coordinators -- Brian Johnson was a Matt Canada-level OC -- and the players' subsequent loss of faith in them. Shouldn't be an issue this year. Yes, Kelce is retired, but OL coach Jeff Stoutland, who has been with the team since the Chip Kelly years, is the best in the business.
I've also read that Siriani and Hurts have an uneasy relationship and that also contributed to the problems last season.

I am not predicting an Eagles collapse. They should be the favorite win the division but there are reasons to be concerned.

Up or Down with Darnold?
I think the potential ceiling is lower. There was a shot McCarthy was really good and hit the ground running once he got in the lineup. Darnold is probably as good or better than Mullens, and Mullens kept JJ fed, but its tough to view this as any kind of positive.

Personally, I have a hard time taking JJ before pick 10, but I'm also of the belief that RBs are being shortchanged in an overreaction to a lot of early picks last year not panning out. Those same early RB picks were absolutely fine in 2022.

Up or Down with Darnold?
I think JJ is one of the few QB-proof WRs. Him and Tyreek.
There is a difference between being 'qb proof' and being a top 3 wr

My gut tells me he isn't top 3 but probably stays in the bottom of the wr1 category but maybe high wr2. Donald is going to have plenty of games where he throws for 160 yards
Do you really think, they are going to be winning. I see tons of garbage time. 160 is winn8ng and running out clock. D without Hunter is not as good as last year. Will teams dare Darnold to throw. Very tough division for Os. Not sure Ds is up to par. I just see him being targeted early and then picking up lots of 4th quarter garbage time points. He will get his.

Up or Down with Darnold?

My gut tells me he isn't top 3 but probably stays in the bottom of the wr1 category but maybe high wr2. Donald is going to have plenty of games where he throws for 160 yards
Do you really think, they are going to be winning. I see tons of garbage time. 160 is winn8ng and running out clock. D without Hunter is not as good as last year. Will teams dare Darnold to throw. Very tough division for Os. Not sure Ds is up to par. I just see him being targeted early and then picking up lots of 4th quarter garbage time points. He will get his.
I agree. This team is going to be trailing a lot, and is in a tough division.

Darnold is not Zack Wilson. KOC is not Adam Gase. This passing game should still be productive even if the team isn't going to be good.

Mullen and Darnold have similar stats. The Vikings are deep in mediocre QBs. About 1 TD per game on average. But Arnold didn't have players like JJ to throw to.

JJ did well overall with Mullen at QB, aside from the 3-0 loss to LV in his first game with Mullen at QB.

I agree with the above that the choice may be JJ vs a RB.

Up or Down with Darnold?

No 160 yards is 38-0 for the other team where Donald throws 3ints and is benched

Jefferson is slightly overvalued.

Darnold is the QB
Jones in the backfield is a downgrade
TJ out for first several games AND, if they start slow, they have zero need to rush Hock back.
Addison now hurt.

All this equals more attention on JJ with poorer QB play.

The fact that the Vikings inquired about Carr and the fact that the Vikes offense just got destroyed by the Browns in a scrimmage....I have a hard time taking Jefferson in the 1st round.

The fact that the Vikings inquired about Carr and the fact that the Vikes offense just got destroyed by the Browns in a scrimmage....I have a hard time taking Jefferson in the 1st round.
Where's this inquiring about Carr coming from?

Carr would be a big upgrade from Darnold, and the last time he had an elite WR, that guy went 100-1516-14, and Jefferson is better than that guy.

Minny's QB situation has totally killed Jefferson for me. I am finding myself ranking tons of WRs before him now:
  • Lamb
  • Hill
  • Chase
  • St. Brown
  • Brown
  • Wilson
Green for sure in front of him and orange right there with him. Am I overthinking this? Where do you rank JJ, especially in 0.5 PPR?

Minny's QB situation has totally killed Jefferson for me. I am finding myself ranking tons of WRs before him now:
  • Lamb
  • Hill
  • Chase
  • St. Brown
  • Brown
  • Wilson
Green for sure in front of him and orange right there with him. Am I overthinking this? Where do you rank JJ, especially in 0.5 PPR?
I would take Hill and Lamb over Jefferson, flip a coin between St. Brown and Jefferson, and grab Jefferson over the other Chase, Wilson, and Brown. I’m not worried about the Vikings quarterback, Jefferson will get fed regardless.

D without Hunter is not as good as last year
I am not so sure this is the case. Greenard is very good (at this stage may not be worse than Hunter) and Van Ginkel is a solid edge guy too (probably better than Wornum in Flores defense). I also think there defensive backfield will be better than last year.

I am not so sure this is the case. Greenard is very good (at this stage may not be worse than Hunter) and Van Ginkel is a solid edge guy too (probably better than Wornum in Flores defense). I also think there defensive backfield will be better than last year.
Hopefully, they figured out that Harrison Smith has lost several steps. I do like the guys behind him, but I don’t think he can be counted on as a full-time player any more.

Much respect, because the dude has been a beast is entire career. But the cliff is coming.

Got the #4 pick in a half ppr - is it worth taking JJ or is it too risky? What are people’s opinions in here…seems like he will get 12-15 targets a game

• Lamb
  • Hill
  • Chase
  • St. Brown
  • Brown
  • Wilson
Drafting from the 8 spot
really hoping Brown falls to me, but will be very happy if JJ does.

D without Hunter is not as good as last year
Greenard is not as good as Hunter. I think he's good but he isn't top 5 good like Hunter has been.

Dallas Turner on the other hand could be similarly good as Hunter in time. He should be their best pass rusher and they have more depth now.

The Vikings may need to lean on the defense to win games this year.

• Lamb
  • Hill
  • Chase
  • St. Brown
  • Brown
  • Wilson
He's QB-proof. We saw it last year with the gang of goobers Minny played at QB after Cousins went down. I'd rank Lamb, Hill and maybe St. Brown ahead of him, but that's it.

Hopefully, they figured out that Harrison Smith has lost several steps. I do like the guys behind him, but I don’t think he can be counted on as a full-time player any more.

Much respect, because the dude has been a beast is entire career. But the cliff is coming.
Yeah they know and the team and Smith have both said his snaps will be less than last year.

Smith has been pretty much been playing linebacker more than safety anyways and he is still very good at setting the edge and getting after the passer. He has never been that good in man to man.

Users who are viewing this thread