What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Justin Jefferson, MIN (3 Viewers)

Sorry to put a damper in people's fantasy fun fiction :

Dianna Russini
@DMRussini
·
40m

The Vikings came close to extending WR Justin Jefferson last offseason. In Indy, GM Kwesi Adofo-Mensah aggressively rejected the idea of trading the star. Kirk Cousins’ departure hasn’t changed things. The Vikings have no plans to trade Jefferson, sources tell me and
@alec_lewis
That's what every team says about players before they trade them though
Not really. They have zero interest in trading him, it's just fan fiction based on nothing credible.
Well, IMO, it's based on my thoughts that they should explore trading him because it just might be best for the team longer term.
Also based on my opinion that Jefferson is not ONLY about the money and just might also prefer to not have hot trash at QB again.

But as I said, there's a long list of players who were traded after quotes saying they wouldn't be.
Why come out and publicly say you wanna trade a guy? Hurts the value and pisses off the player (unless the player tells you to trade him, but even then you don't do that cause it hurts the value).

I think the list of players teams say they are not trading and don't is quite a bit longer then the list of players they trade. Not everything is a lie.

He's a great player and they got cap space, not sure how it makes them better. He has also expressed no desire to be traded, not anything reported. I'm sure he believes in his talent, regardless of the QB, who I think has a chance for a Geno/Baker type turnaround-if he even has the job.

I'll say again it's just fan fiction because a bunch of JJ owners want him traded does not mean it's happening. It's a moot point to me.
I didn't say "it's happening", but if I'm the Vikings I definitely listen if people inquire.
With no QB and likely winning several games with what they have, keeping them out of the top 5, their current road to a QB is rather bumpy.
So do they stay the course of purgatory, or make a bold move? It's gotta be a consideration at the very least.
If Chicago came calling with pick 9 and more, it would have to be a consideration.
It's unlikely he will be traded, but it's not like they are gonna just hang up on people about it

I don't think they are as concerned about the QB situation as most people.

Dianna Russini
@DMRussini
·
40m

The Vikings came close to extending WR Justin Jefferson last offseason. In Indy, GM Kwesi Adofo-Mensah aggressively rejected the idea of trading the star. Kirk Cousins’ departure hasn’t changed things. The Vikings have no plans to trade Jefferson, sources tell me and
@alec_lewis
Not really. They have zero interest in trading him, it's just fan fiction based on nothing credible.
Well, IMO, it's based on my thoughts that they should explore trading him because it just might be best for the team longer term.
Also based on my opinion that Jefferson is not ONLY about the money and just might also prefer to not have hot trash at QB again.

But as I said, there's a long list of players who were traded after quotes saying they wouldn't be.
Why come out and publicly say you wanna trade a guy? Hurts the value and pisses off the player (unless the player tells you to trade him, but even then you don't do that cause it hurts the value).

I think the list of players teams say they are not trading and don't is quite a bit longer then the list of players they trade. Not everything is a lie.

He's a great player and they got cap space, not sure how it makes them better. He has also expressed no desire to be traded, not anything reported. I'm sure he believes in his talent, regardless of the QB, who I think has a chance for a Geno/Baker type turnaround-if he even has the job.

I'll say again it's just fan fiction because a bunch of JJ owners want him traded does not mean it's happening. It's a moot point to me.
I didn't say "it's happening", but if I'm the Vikings I definitely listen if people inquire.
With no QB and likely winning several games with what they have, keeping them out of the top 5, their current road to a QB is rather bumpy.
So do they stay the course of purgatory, or make a bold move? It's gotta be a consideration at the very least.
If Chicago came calling with pick 9 and more, it would have to be a consideration.
It's unlikely he will be traded, but it's not like they are gonna just hang up on people about it
I hear you but I think a different conversation in what you or I would do versus what they intend to do.

I just have followed how both sides have been acting and saying for awhile now and just feel like I got a decent handle on judging it. Don't think there is any friction on either side, both want to get a deal done, neither looking to move on. The comments the GM said about a deal being close is something I believe. One of the things that leads me to believe that, and to believe that their relationship is in a good place, is that Jefferson returned to play last year when many questioned if he would. Also did so with Cousins long gone by that point. Just think they are both on the same page with wanting to extend him.

Now, his contracts a big deal of course, if it got where they can't seem to get to the finish line and things start getting contentious I won't even say things won't change, just don't think it's what either JJ or the team is thinking right now.

Dianna Russini
@DMRussini
·
40m

@alec_lewis

Agreed on that, it's a middle ground. They usually don't trade a guy they say they won't. But it does happen in some cases. The conversation reminds me a little of some of those people who insist everything is a conspiracy theory. Conspiracy theories can be 100% true. But to just say at every turn "THIS dark, shady ploy is what's REALLY happening! They're trying to hide it, but I know!" with no doubt in their mind.

Sorry, not trying to paint anyone as a sounding like that, I just mean it's similar: yes there are dark, shady things that go down behind closed doors in world governments, but not everything is one.

Dianna Russini
@DMRussini
·
40m

@alec_lewis

Agreed on that, it's a middle ground. They usually don't trade a guy they say they won't. But it does happen in some cases. The conversation reminds me a little of some of those people who insist everything is a conspiracy theory. Conspiracy theories can be 100% true. But to just say at every turn "THIS dark, shady ploy is what's REALLY happening! They're trying to hide it, but I know!" with no doubt in their mind.

Sorry, not trying to paint anyone as a sounding like that, I just mean it's similar: yes there are dark, shady things that go down behind closed doors in world governments, but not everything is one.
I wouldn't call it a "conspiracy".
It's the right move to say you aren't trading a guy like Jefferson, even if you are trying to.

Dianna Russini
@DMRussini
·
40m

@alec_lewis

I wouldn't call it a "conspiracy".
It's the right move to say you aren't trading a guy like Jefferson, even if you are trying to.
Right, that was more of a metaphor, or just something it reminds me of. Good things to talk about as long as there isn't that guy who just knows what's up every time. And I don't think anyone here is that guy, but it may have sounded that way at some point.

I'm just going to say I look forward to his extension getting done because I think currently holding up some WR movement and will create a domino effect when he agrees to it.

If we can assume for a second it's $30m then guys like Chase and Lamb won't settle for less. That's probably fine, think both teams will oblige, paying for great is usually not a problem.

But what about that next class of players? Is ASB going to be happy with a lot less? Do WR's with other expensive WR's already under contract, thinking of players like Waddle, Devonta and Aiyuk going to want $26m and if so will those teams have to move one of the high priced WR's?

I don't think JJ is going anywhere, but his extension might start a wave of movement and I think most of it all on hold because they all want him to set the new market.

Guess Bills are working on getting him.. Boat load of picks..
Feel like it would take a monster load of picks. Like #28, #60, 2025 1st, and 2025 2nd feels light to me.
They would likely be late picks in 25.

I did a search and I am not finding anything specific about the Bills.

Curious to hear what Karl is taking about though.
That's what I mean. Handful of late 1sts and 2nds feels like a low return for Jefferson from a Vikings point of view.

I've seen nothing to connect Jefferson anywhere in potential deals.

Feel like it would take a monster load of picks. Like #28, #60, 2025 1st, and 2025 2nd feels light to me.

That's what I mean. Handful of late 1sts and 2nds feels like a low return for Jefferson from a Vikings point of view.

Low return? If the Vikes were to trade him for two late 1sts and 2nds, not only do they get those players, they get 30+ million a year to spend on players, minus what the rookies cost.

I mean, Jefferson is awesome, but that's by no means a "low return".

The cap DOES matter in these situations

Tyreek was traded for the #29, a 2nd, two 4ths and a 6th. Jefferson is 3 years younger than Tyreek was when traded. Is that worth another 1st, a 2nd, both of those? IDK.

Low return? If the Vikes were to trade him for two late 1sts and 2nds, not only do they get those players, they get 30+ million a year to spend on players, minus what the rookies cost.

I mean, Jefferson is awesome, but that's by no means a "low return".

The cap DOES matter in these situations
Tyreek was traded for the #29, a 2nd, two 4ths and a 6th. Jefferson is 3 years younger than Tyreek was when traded. Is that worth another 1st, a 2nd, both of those? IDK.
I think 2 4ths and a 6th is close enough to a 2nd. So, is Jefferson worth a 1st more than Tyreek Hill was? Honestly, yeah probably. 3 years younger, no off-field issues, and a better overall player. Also, Tyreek had the questions of what he was without Mahomes. I think he's exceeded pretty much all expectations one could have had for him in Miami, he's been better in Miami than he ever was in KC, and I think an argument could be made KC didn't get enough for him in retrospect. Its not like KC spent the money they saved wisely or that not paying Hill allowed them to have a more complete roster. They spent the same amount on MVS and Jawaan Taylor, who are replacement level players. They spent the 2 on Skyy Moore.

Maybe I'm just higher on Jefferson though. I think with Donald retired, Jefferson is the most valuable non-QB in the NFL, and he's just entered his prime at 25.

If I were Buffalo, 2 1sts and 2 2nds is chump change for a player of that caliber. I mean, those players in the last 2 drafts would be Dalton Kincaid, O'Cyrus Torrence, Kaiir Elam, and James Cook. Those 4 combined aren't even close to Jefferson's value. If you look at the #28 and #60 picks the last 2 drafts, its Myles Murphy, DJ Turner, Devonte Wyatt, and Cam Taylor-Britt. Less of a who's who, and more of a who's that?

Its all over the place.. It was talked about on NFLN on Thursday.. With the departure of Diggs, buffalo is def in the market for a #1 and they said they are waiting too ee how Jefferson extension will go, before making a reasonable offer.

With Jefferson not at workouts, this def has some smoke. Jefferson is unhappy with the QB situation in Minnesota. I am not sure he wants to stay a Viking.

Not saying this is 100%, but if JJ is moved and I honestly believe he will be at some point, Buffalo is def a big time player.

Outside of a few talking head’s bringing up this idea of the Bill’s trading for JJ, I doubt that there is really any substance to it. The Bill’s have a lot of holes to fill and would be better off addressing those in the draft versus purging draft capital. It would be a sight to see Allen launching missiles to JJ though, but I doubt we see that at the end of the day.

Its all over the place.. It was talked about on NFLN on Thursday.. With the departure of Diggs, buffalo is def in the market for a #1 and they said they are waiting too ee how Jefferson extension will go, before making a reasonable offer.

With Jefferson not at workouts, this def has some smoke. Jefferson is unhappy with the QB situation in Minnesota. I am not sure he wants to stay a Viking.

Not saying this is 100%, but if JJ is moved and I honestly believe he will be at some point, Buffalo is def a big time player.
Hmm. I admit I don't really watch much TV or read articles about Jefferson not being at camp. So perhaps I've missed it.

I listen to Matthew Collier fairly often who is a native of Buffalo who has covered the Vikings awhile now. He hasn't mentioned it.

In my opinion the Vikings are not trading Jefferson.

The Bills? They don't even have enough cap space for George Jefferson
Cause no team ever has restructured contracts, made moves to free up space.
Teams do this by taking the base salary and spreading it out into a bonus.

Matt Milano, at just $4.2m, has the highest base salary on the team in 2024. I believe two other players are just over $3m. Just not much to work with, hard to find a Peter out of the group.

Due to their numerous roster holes and cap situation I'd peg the Bills as one of the least likely teams in the NFL to trade for a big priced vet, especially when it involves giving up their cheap labor(draft picks)

And the team who traded Tyreek away proceeded to win the next two super bowls.
Then let’s do it!!!
They sure won't win the next one, but if trading Jefferson is able to allow them to get a good QB soon, then it's pretty obviously worth exploring

I don’t think it will happen, but you betcha I’d trade JJ for 1.3 if I were Vikes FO. Granted I’ve seen ridiculous trade speculation with either team overpaying for this trade, but would think 1.3 is close to JJ’s value. Vikes get a hopeful QBOTF and use 1.11 & 1.23 to figure out WR in a deep WR class. Free $30M/year cap without JJ & only a rookie QB contract.

Last edited:
I don’t think it will happen, but you betcha I’d trade JJ for 1.3 if I were Vikes FO. Granted I’ve seen ridiculous trade speculation with either team overpaying for this trade, but would think 1.3 is close to JJ’s value. Vikes get a hopeful QBOTF and use 1.11 & 1.23 to figure out WR in a deep WR class. Free $30M/year cap without JJ & only a rookie QB contract.
I would hate to see it because I have no faith that whoever they get at #3 would work out and it would just be another lost cause.

I would hate to see it because I have no faith that whoever they get at #3 would work out and it would just be another lost cause.
It's a lost cause right now, so why not try?

I have just as much faith in whatever QB they could get at 11 as the one they would get at 3 or 5. All are a dice roll so why waste assets with no real increase of odds?

ETA: Many times it works out better when someone makes the decision for you. Happens to me all the time in drafts..

I have just as much faith in whatever QB they could get at 11 as the one they would get at 3 or 5. All are a dice roll so why waste assets with no real increase of odds?

ETA: Many times it works out better when someone makes the decision for you. Happens to me all the time in drafts..
Nobody says they have to get that QB in this draft.

That's the risk, but I tend to agree that Jefferson's value is 1.3 so I'd take the trade.

I'd then try to trade 1.11 and some future picks to the Chargers (who likely are going offensive line despite the brilliant picks made for them in the Shark Pool mock draft) for 1.5 so we can grab a top WR.

No one can predict rookie QBs, but speaking of lost causes I think Vikes need to consider the logic of paying JJ $100M/3 years, if his production is reliant on an even lower odds QB prospect. Next thing you know, you get a trade demand and almost zero leverage to get this value, and dead cap impacts. If they can’t get the value of a $34M/year WR contract, it does not make sense to do at all. Again, I’m skeptical of rumors and do not think trading JJ is the only path, but one that must be explored given the very real limitations that cap spend creates for a team lacking QB. QBOTF is a leap of faith an NFL team must take.

That's the risk, but I tend to agree that Jefferson's value is 1.3 so I'd take the trade.
I also don't see where that makes sense for NE. While it may be fair value, why would NE do it?
As elusive as QBOTF has been for the Vikings, the Pats investments in WR have proved equally futile. The last impact WR they rostered was probably Moss. Though they failed with Mac Jones, they may not believe QB is as difficult to find as WR has been.

I also don't see where that makes sense for NE. While it may be fair value, why would NE do it?
As elusive as QBOTF has been for the Vikings, the Pats investments in WR have proved equally futile. The last impact WR they rostered was probably Moss. Though they failed with Mac Jones, they may not believe QB is as difficult to find as WR has been.
Starting a rebuild with the league’s highest paid receiver (without an answer at QB) does not make a lot of sense to me.

Starting a rebuild with the league’s highest paid receiver (without an answer at QB) does not make a lot of sense to me.
That’s why I’m skeptical. Then again, I don’t have perspective of walking easy street like the Pats did over 2 decades. Who knows how they value positions, difficulty of rebuild, etc.

Gonna need to back up TWO Brinks trucks after ARSB's contract.
Depends on the details.

Most of these massive WR contracts are not what they seem, with large amounts on the last year or two they'll likely never see. Tyreek's is the major one structured this way but so is Davante and AJB's. Makes them all seem more then what it is.

Devonta Smiths 3/75, that was all real. So in that sense we knew ASRB was going to come in over $25m, just not sure he's it's really a $30M a year deal when we start getting all the details.

I'm sure it's strong no matter what, strong enough to get him to sign and not wait for Jefferson to finish his deal, just a little dubious it's really $30M a year.

Depends on the details.

Most of these massive WR contracts are not what they seem, with large amounts on the last year or two they'll likely never see. Tyreek's is the major one structured this way but so is Davante and AJB's. Makes them all seem more then what it is.

Devonta Smiths 3/75, that was all real. So in that sense we knew ASRB was going to come in over $25m, just not sure he's it's really a $30M a year deal when we start getting all the details.

I'm sure it's strong no matter what, strong enough to get him to sign and not wait for Jefferson to finish his deal, just a little dubious it's really $30M a year.
I get what you're saying (contract numbers are phony) but in this case it doesn't depend.

Whatever ARSB gets, Jefferson will get more. Way more.

Depends on the details.

I get what you're saying (contract numbers are phony) but in this case it doesn't depend.

Whatever ARSB gets, Jefferson will get more. Way more.
Right but we all kind of assumed JJ was going to get at least $30M not sure this does anything to increase that amount if it's not really $30M. So I still think it does depend.

If it's more like $27M when you really get into it, then JJ may still be in that $30M range. If it's a legit $30m, then now you might be talking JJ trying to hit into the $34-35m range. Which may be JJ's goal the whole time regardless, wanting to beat Bosa as the top paid non-QB in the game. Just saying I'm not sure this contract, without knowing the details, made JJ's contract demans stronger then where he was already at.

It's gonna be in the region of $30mil a year. It was never going to be much less than that and it isn't really feasible that it's all that much more.

Much of muchness. The figure on the end of that $3* is purely to satisfy an ego, not really moving the needle for an organization with regards to their cap. They already knew they were on the hook for something substantial.

Users who are viewing this thread