What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Justin Jefferson, MIN (1 Viewer)

I wonder if this hurts him going forward. They aren't playing the lions every week so obviously now defenses just have to scheme him out if Thielen is out too. Steelers, Bears, Rams, and Packers incoming. However, I think this helps him get more TDs because Thielen was a TD vacuum...

It is pretty awesome that hes #2 in PPR for the year now though.

Justin Jefferson caught 7-of-15 targets for 79 yards and a touchdown in Minnesota's Week 14 win over Pittsburgh.

It was -- somehow -- a disappointing game as Jefferson had his hands on no less than three other balls in the end zone and couldn't come down with any of them. The target share remained excellent and one of those balls was tipped at the last moment, but Jefferson's fantasy managers could have been looking at a Dalvin-esque inferno with a few more timely snags. Regardless, Jefferson remains on the WR1 line heading into Week 15's game against the Bears, particularly if Adam Thielen's ankle continues to sideline him. 

Dec 10, 2021, 12:05 AM ET

very disappointing game in my eyes. Forget the stats line. What disappoints me is that most of the drops were in traffic. Few bad passes as well but he looked scared when hits were coming. I found a huge like of heart yesterday. He could have had at least 1 or 2 more TDs and 4 or 5 more catches if he actually showed some guts and went for it instead of protecting himself.  Thielen would have had a lot of those catches he dropped.

very disappointing game in my eyes. Forget the stats line. What disappoints me is that most of the drops were in traffic. Few bad passes as well but he looked scared when hits were coming. I found a huge like of heart yesterday. He could have had at least 1 or 2 more TDs and 4 or 5 more catches if he actually showed some guts and went for it instead of protecting himself.  Thielen would have had a lot of those catches he dropped.
🤔

He's a pretty tiny dude if you look at him from a BMI perspective. Not Devonta tiny, but this guy does not want to get punished in traffic. That said, I don't know how you leave this guy beyond open when Thielen is missing from the field. Horrible defense and gameplan 

He's a pretty tiny dude if you look at him from a BMI perspective. Not Devonta tiny, but this guy does not want to get punished in traffic. That said, I don't know how you leave this guy beyond open when Thielen is missing from the field. Horrible defense and gameplan 
he's pretty skinny I agree but listen, when you are vocal about being the man and your team is fighting for a playoff spot and the #1A (assuming he's 1B) is injured....YOU GOTTA STEP UP....Cousins missed a couple of wide open throws, no question about it. But some of these drops, they were on Jefferson and most of them were in traffic. You can really tell on replays that he was more thinking about protecting himself than catching the ball. Again, the team fighting for a playoff spot, thielen injured, he's gotta step up on those catches in traffic. That's what studs do....

Thielen... you mean the guy in street clothes last night? Maybe there's something this.

Thielen... you mean the guy in street clothes last night? Maybe there's something this.
What does his ankle injury has anything to do with the drops last night? rolling your ankle can happen to any players at any time. 

Last edited by a moderator:
What does his ankle injury has anything to do with the drops last night? rolling your ankle can happen to any players at any time. 

Just found it ironic that you're comparing a 2nd year WR that is already borderline "best in the NFL" ... but kind of complaining that he should "do more"... sacrifice his body like the guy standing on the sidelines injured. That's all.

FWIW last season Jefferson made a lot of catches over the middle and in traffic with no issues.

I didn't see the game last night so maybe he did have some drops and perhaps those were related to him being worried about contact, I am just saying that this has not been an issue with him in previous games.

FWIW last season Jefferson made a lot of catches over the middle and in traffic with no issues.

I didn't see the game last night so maybe he did have some drops and perhaps those were related to him being worried about contact, I am just saying that this has not been an issue with him in previous games.
Watched most of game; from what I remember most "drops" were off target throws by Cousins. 

Lots of bad or rushed throws from Cousins last night. The only thing close to a drop last night that I saw was a play over the middle where the DB made a great play on the ball right at the catch attempt. 

Watched most of game; from what I remember most "drops" were off target throws by Cousins. 
Yeah thats what I heard as well.

I know Jefferson caught a lot of balls over the middle last season from watching a clip of all his catches. It was something I noted in relation to Irv Smith who I thought would have more opportunities over the middle than he did, and the main reason for that seemed to be that they were using Jefferson in that way instead.

I think Jefferson could have had a couple more catches for sure, but most of those passes were indeed "off". The one he did drop over the middle had him bracketed with 4 guys within a yard or two from him. I can't blame him for not reeling that in even though it was on the mark. It actually looked like certain doom in real time.

I think Jefferson could have had a couple more catches for sure, but most of those passes were indeed "off". The one he did drop over the middle had him bracketed with 4 guys within a yard or two from him. I can't blame him for not reeling that in even though it was on the mark. It actually looked like certain doom in real time.
That ball was actually tipped by the defender in front of him. Didn’t look like it but upon slow motion replay you could see it. Definitely wasn’t Jefferson’s fault. Just a good defensive play. 

The worst was Jefferson wide open on that cross route and Cousins overthrowing him. It was one of the most egregious throws I’ve seen from any QB in a couple years tbh. Cousins is such a butt-clencher.

Speaking Thursday, Kevin O'Connell told ProFootballTalk's Mike Florio that he plans to move Justin Jefferson around the formation like Cooper Kupp.

Kupp played 66% of his snaps in the slot in 2021 and 32% of his snaps out wide. O'Connell, previously the Rams offensive coordinator, spoke about how Kupp's ability to move around the formation made it difficult for defenses to know where he was. Jefferson played in the slot on 31% of his snaps in 2021 and was out wide for 68%, so moving around the formation won't be a foreign concept. Jefferson also played in the slot for his final year at LSU. Ultimately, Jefferson could have a similar snap rate in the slot in 2022 as he did in 2021, but it's encouraging to hear that O'Connell plans to build the passing offense around him like the Rams built their attack around Kupp. Jefferson's biggest question this offseason is if the Vikings keep Kirk Cousins or attempt to find a quarterback that they are more comfortable building around long-term.

SOURCE: ProFootballTalk

Mar 3, 2022, 11:07 AM ET

Justin Jefferson said under new head coach Kevin O'Connell, the Vikings are moving away from the "old-style offense" the team used during the Mike Zimmer era. 

“It’s 2022. You get into a new age and move to a new generation," Jefferson said when asked about the team's new offensive system, expected to be similar to the Rams offense. "Adding new things to the offense definitely allows us to be more comfortable with the offense and work in different areas of the fields.” Minnesota's new offensive scheme should be radically different than the stale, conservative approach that defined the Zimmer years. O'Connell, the former Rams offensive coordinator under Sean McVay, said in March that Jefferson would be moved around the offensive formation like Cooper Kupp has been in LA. O'Connell seems intent on making Jefferson's usage less predictable in 2022. O'Connell said the Vikings would run a more spread out offensive attack than they did under Zimmer. "When in doubt, trust space-rhythm-timing of offenses to hold you true to your core and what you’re trying to get accomplished," he said. In the meantime, Kirk Cousins, Adam Thielen, and the rest of the team's offense is learning the complex language of McConnell's system with three months until Week 1. It would hardly be a shock if the Vikings had some growing pains early in the 2022 season as they acclimate to O'Connell's offense. 

RELATED: 

Adam Thielen

, Kirk Cousins

, Dalvin Cook

SOURCE: Yahoo.com 

Jun 3, 2022, 12:07 PM ET

The Athletic's Arif Hasan writes WR Justin Jefferson is having an "incredible camp" and "has won on every route in every situation."

Hasan also notes "opposing corners have done little to limit" Jefferson and that he will very clearly be the focus of the Vikings' offense. Duh. Operating under new head coach Kevin O'Connell, the Vikings can be expected to pass more often, in more favorable passing situations, and with more creative concepts than they did under Mike Zimmer. Jefferson recently passed Cooper Kupp in best ball ADP, as drafters grow concerned about Matthew Stafford's elbow. The combination of his improved situation and exceptional talent makes Jefferson a worthy WR1 selection in 2022 drafts.
SOURCE: The Athletic
Aug 10, 2022, 11:42 AM ET

Vikings are lucky the receivers in the NFC North look like a bunch of #2's right now outside of JJ. I would target their pass defense aggressively again. This makes JJ and the Vikings passing offense very attractive this year.

I read Packers didn't even use Jaire to shadow him until the 2H lol. Not sure if he would've shut him down or not, but that was one hell of a game today.

Justin Jefferson caught 9-of-11 targets for 184 yards and two touchdowns in the Vikings' Week 1 win over the Packers.

In a play eerily similar to many of Cooper Kupp's touchdowns, Jefferson found himself wide open in the middle of the field for his second score of the day. It was a 36-yard score that saw Jefferson fight through a would-be tackler to make it into the end zone. As many expected, Kevin O'Connell's offense placed an emphasis on passing to its best player. The strong start bodes well for Jefferson's odds of usurping Kupp as the top overall receiver in fantasy. He should keep rolling against the Eagles in Week 2.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Justin Jefferson caught 6-of-12 targets for 48 yards in the Vikings' Week 2 loss to the Eagles.​

Eagles top CB Darius Slay was all up in Jefferson's grill most of the night, riding his hip and swatting away pass after pass that he wasn't intercepting. Slay picked off Kirk Cousins twice on passes intended for Jefferson. Through two games, Jefferson has seen a total of 23 targets and remains in the overall WR1 mix week in and week out with a Week 3 date with the Lions on deck. Look for a big bounce-back effort from Jefferson against a much softer secondary.
Sep 19, 2022, 11:41 PM ET

Anyone know where Jefferson vanished to in Minny's comeback? Didn't look like he even got targeted.
A continuation of the 4th quarter against the Eagles. Fortunately for the Vikings, Campbells inept coaching gave them a chance to pull it out.

How is 3/11 for Jefferson even possible?

Listening to Jefferson he said they had Okudah playing man with trail technique on him with a safety over the top. So double coverage which allowed the other receivers to get better match ups.

Kirk Cousins threw several interceptions vs the Eagles trying to force it to Jefferson the previous game and may be gun shy about doing that moving forward.

Not sure if other teams have the defensive back talent to replicate this going forward but the Saints have Lattemer. Seems like that has worked to take JJ out of the game so far and teams may keep doing it until they are given reason not to.

He was covered by the best CB in football, Jeff Okudah. What did you expect?

I can't tell this is sarcasm lol- didn't this guy tear his Achilles? He does have the draft pedigree.

I don’t think Okudah is the best cover corner and I’ve never heard anyone make that argument. But he has played well the first three weeks.

Jeff Okudah has mostly covered DeVonta Smith, Terry McLaurin and Justin Jefferson this season.
  • Smith: 0 yards vs. Lions, 249 yards in 2 other games.
  • McLaurin: 2-22 yards vs. Okudah, 160 yards in 2 other games.
  • Jefferson: 3-14 yards vs. Lions, 232 yards in 2 other games.
TBF McLaurin had 53 yards VS the Lions zone coverage. Per Mike Clay, none of Jefferson’s three catches yesterday came when Okudah was the nearest DB.

Jeff Okudah has mostly covered DeVonta Smith, Terry McLaurin and Justin Jefferson this season.
  • Smith: 0 yards vs. Lions, 249 yards in 2 other games.
  • McLaurin: 2-22 yards vs. Okudah, 160 yards in 2 other games.
  • Jefferson: 3-14 yards vs. Lions, 232 yards in 2 other games.
TBF McLaurin had 53 yards VS the Lions zone coverage. Per Mike Clay, none of Jefferson’s three catches yesterday came when Okudah was the nearest DB.
So maybe he is one of the best cover corners even if nobody is talking about it........yet

Users who are viewing this thread