What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Miles Austin (1 Viewer)

Bri

Footballguy
Monmouth's Austin a draft sleeper

Wide receiver Miles Austin is that quintessential sleeper hoping for a draft-weekend wake-up call.

Austin has 4.47 speed, is 6-2, 215 pounds and caught a school-record 33 touchdowns. It's about how that 150-catch, 2,867-yard production projects to the NFL for the Division I-AA Monmouth (N.J.) standout.

"Sleeper has been my role my entire life," Austin says. "Hopefully, come draft day, I can wake up."

He's following some inspiring role models. Austin played at Garfield (N.J.) High, alma mater of now-retired Jets receiver Wayne Chrebet and second-year Chargers defensive tackle Luis Castillo.

"I've been telling the Chargers about Miles for six months now," Castillo says. "I talked to one of our regional scouts, and he said Miles has a chance to be a first-day guy in the draft.

"He's probably still a little bit raw. But he's a smart kid who is going to work his butt off. Wayne Chrebet was from a small school (Hofstra), and he just kept pushing and pushing.

"Miles has that incredible work ethic to make it in the NFL."

USAToday

Posted this today.

Miles Austin (Monmouth) - Incredibly productive at little Monmouth where he could literally dominate secondaries physically. Always double and triple teamed. Didn't matter. The ball is his-- 150 catches, 2800 yards, and 33 tds later. He's a workout warrior with great genetics. He's 6-2 and has played as heavy as 230. He slimmed down on the advice of scouts. Knocks against him are that he lacks quickness and doesn't block. He didn't run his best 40 (4.47) for the scouts, but that's still a lot of speed for a man his size, and he has been timed much faster. He has great hops, timing, body control, and uses his size to win the ball. A terrific speciman with natural athleticism to spare. Acrobatic catches were the norm week in and week out. Did slimming down to (215) solve the quickness issue? Who knows, but this guy is a playmaker who may translate much better than most think.

is this a day 2 guy or a FA signing?
It's never easy to tell with small school guys.
I thought this was interesting:
"I've been telling the Chargers about Miles for six months now," Castillo says. "I talked to one of our regional scouts, and he said Miles has a chance to be a first-day guy in the draft.
Before discussing him yesterday, I figured late second day. Now I'm not sure. Awhile ago, when the underclassmen were declaring and there was talk about the Draft Board handing out grades, some of us commented that they seemed ultra liberal with the first day grades. Usually there's about a 15-20 player cut off, and that's why Gosselin and Brandt can nail almost 90% of the first day picks. This year I think it's almost a two round cut off of about 50 players who could possibly go on day one and won't. There's a bunch of players who reported they were told during personal visits they would go much higher than expected too. It's a crazy draft, but it's all good.

Users who are viewing this thread