What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Nelson Agholor, BAL (1 Viewer)

This seems a curious thing to say.  Jeffrey is on a one year deal and Torrey Smith has no guaranteed money after this year (and only $500k until the start of the season).  Meanwhile, Algohor has two years (2017 and 2018) on his cheap rookie deal.  If he does well why wouldn't they keep him and move on from either Smith's $5M salary, Jeffrey's approximately $14M salary, or both?
Had it in my mind this was his last on year on rookie deal.  Either way I'd think this is make or break for his fantasy value.  

This seems a curious thing to say.  Jeffrey is on a one year deal and Torrey Smith has no guaranteed money after this year (and only $500k until the start of the season).  Meanwhile, Algohor has two years (2017 and 2018) on his cheap rookie deal.  If he does well why wouldn't they keep him and move on from either Smith's $5M salary, Jeffrey's approximately $14M salary, or both?
I was going to say the same thing, but they also drafted two WRs.  I do think that Matthews is more likely to be moved out eventually than agholor, if agholor shows some signs of life.  Either way, I think he is probably more on the outside than inside overall.

I still believe this guy is super talented, he needed to mature and get accustomed to the NFL and maybe that just took longer than we hoped for.  Maybe the new thing is USC WRs don't bust but they take longer to acclimate than we want.  Anyways this is his chance to audition for another team cause I highly doubt the Eagles keep him if he does manage to do well.
Super talented? Really?  I get holding out hope for a player but your making excuses now.

USC WRs don't bust they take longer to acclimate?  Can I use that line the next time I make a bad trade offer?

This guy quietly seems to be winning the offseason with one positive blurb after another. Anything potentially here or is this stable too full for him to make an impact? Coach speak in June usually doesn't amount to anything however he is a former first rounder that keeps making headlines.

This guy quietly seems to be winning the offseason with one positive blurb after another. Anything potentially here or is this stable too full for him to make an impact? Coach speak in June usually doesn't amount to anything however he is a former first rounder that keeps making headlines.
He sucks.  He's the fifth option at best.

Jeffery, ertz, Smith, Mathews, etc

He will be off the team soon.  Look elsewhere

He sucks.  He's the fifth option at best.

Jeffery, ertz, Smith, Mathews, etc

He will be off the team soon.  Look elsewhere
I don't buy this at all.  He could easily carve out a role after Jeffrey and Ertz.  Jeffrey is also no bastion of health, Matthews hasn't practiced in the off-season yet and has zero 1000 yard seasons, Smith is overrated and a one-trick pony at best.  Agholor may not be a WR2 but he's talented enough to keep around if he keeps looking as good as he has so far this Spring.

I don't buy this at all.  He could easily carve out a role after Jeffrey and Ertz.  Jeffrey is also no bastion of health, Matthews hasn't practiced in the off-season yet and has zero 1000 yard seasons, Smith is overrated and a one-trick pony at best.  Agholor may not be a WR2 but he's talented enough to keep around if he keeps looking as good as he has so far this Spring.
Good luck to you

Nothing to see right now, IMO.  If it continues once the pads come on and it looks like he's part of the first team unit in the preseason, MAYBE there's something to it.  I think writing him off 100% is foolish, but it makes sense to be skeptical.  

Nothing to see right now, IMO.  If it continues once the pads come on and it looks like he's part of the first team unit in the preseason, MAYBE there's something to it.  I think writing him off 100% is foolish, but it makes sense to be skeptical.  
I'm not buying into the camp stuff but he's going to have a chance. Jordan Matthews hasn't been special at all and if  Agholor can improve his hands (didn't have the drops issues in college) he could very well take that role IMO

Eagles OC Frank Reich praised Nelson Agholor for having a great spring.

"What everybody saw was true," Reich said. Agholor worked as the slot receiver with the first-team offense in place of Jordan Matthews (knee) and figures to do the same if Matthews remains limited at the start of training camp. Agholor has been a massive disappointment through two seasons, but he's still just 24 and flashed big time in previous preseasons. Agholor is one of the lone Eagles' receivers with a contract that runs into next season. He remains a hold in Dynasty.

Source: Geoff Mosher on Twitter 

Jul 26 - 10:41 AM

FanRag's Geoff Mosher believes the slot role is Nelson Agholor's to lose.

Agholor shined filling in for Jordan Matthews (knee) at OTAs. With Torrey Smith not showing much, it should be an easy decision to keep him in three-wide sets if his strong play carries into training camp. Agholor has the most term of the Eagles' wideouts, so there's incentive to start him despite a disappointing first two seasons. The competition for Philly's No. 3 receiver job will be one of the more interesting battles this summer.

Source: FanRag Sports

Jul 26 - 6:59 PM

He's not going to have Mathews' place during the year though.   Needs to be able to beat out Torrey Smith on the outside to get real targets barring injuries.

God this kid has potential.  If he can get out of his head, I think he has a serious shot to take over for Jordan Matthews.  Eagles might be able to get some value out of trading Matthews soon.

God this kid has potential.  If he can get out of his head, I think he has a serious shot to take over for Jordan Matthews.  Eagles might be able to get some value out of trading Matthews soon.
When healthy, Matthews is going to be on the field.  Agholor should eat into Torrey Smith's snaps as the season unfolds. 

Nelson Agholor "has been outstanding" at training camp.

Agholor's strong play at OTAs has carried into the summer. Per in-house reporter Dave Spadaro, Agholor looks "completely different" from what he was last year. It's the latest in a hyped offseason for Agholor. Agholor has a chance to push Torrey Smith out of three-wide sets.

Source: philadelphiaeagles.com 

Aug 2 - 5:14 PM

"There's an old saying in Tennessee—I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee—that says, 'Fool me once, shame on...shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again."

GWB

"There's an old saying in Tennessee—I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee—that says, 'Fool me once, shame on...shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again."

GWB
That's from a Led Zepplin song, "You Can't Always Get What You Want."

Those cats were from Massachusetts.

NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah believes WR Nelson Agholor is going to play in the slot and he will be "shocked" if he doesn't.

Jeremiah is a former Eagles scout who went on to say Agholor "has had a total rebirth" this offseason. This lines up with previous reports which also spoke highly of Agholor's training camp performance. However, Jordan Matthews has previously manned the slot and was a lone bright spot on this offense at times. If Agholor is going to play in the slot it could be an indication the Eagles may be considering trading Matthews. The Eagles usage of both players in the upcoming weeks will be something to closely monitor.

Source: Philly Voice 

Aug 5 - 11:29 AM

Agholor is someone Matt Millen would call, "a devout coward".  Until he shows up in a game and makes a catch in traffic or when the camera is on him, I will pass.

Rookie_Whisperer said:
Agholor is someone Matt Millen would call, "a devout coward".  Until he shows up in a game and makes a catch in traffic or when the camera is on him, I will pass.
:thumbup:

Agholar dropped one right in the hands in the corner of the endzone at practice today - crowd had some boos....  Other then that looked pretty good.  Wentz looked real good, was putting the ball right in his WR's hands when he went down the field.

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking Monday, Eagles OC Frank Reich left the door open for Jordan Matthews to lose snaps to Nelson Agholor.

Reich said the team's plan at slot receiver is "a little bit different than last year." "Every spot's up for competition," Reich said. "... Nelson's had a real strong spring and camp, so the way we do it is kind of by play. Sometimes we'll switch guys up." Reich added that Agholor has "gotten over the hump" and is "maikng a ton of plays out there." Following Alshon Jeffery and Torrey Smith's signings, Matthews' fantasy appeal is dwindling with more competition for targets and snaps.

Related: Jordan Matthews

Source: Philadelphia Inquirer 

Aug 7 - 3:30 PM

Jordan Matthews' trade to Buffalo should open up slot duties for Nelson Agholor.

With Matthews headed to the Bills, the Eagles are now missing 117 targets from last year. That's good news for Agholor, who should slide in as Philadelphia's primary slot receiver. The former first-round pick has been a bust to this point in his career, but Agholor has shown well in camp and could finally be headed for a breakout season. Matthews' departure will also open up more targets for tight end Zach Ertz, who is now a no-brainer TE1 in all formats.

I wouldn't say Agholor in the slot is set in stone.  Mack Hollins looked great last night.  Wouldn't surprise me if he snuck in there as the slot receiver.

Agholor isn't strictly a slot guy, he'll see more action all over the field opposite Jeffery as well and in the slot

Eagles OC Frank Reich said the slot receiver position will be a "game-plan thing."

"Each and every week, when we put a play up, it’s what body type do we want in there for this play," Reich said. "So it will be by committee, by play, each and every week." Following the trade of Jordan Matthews, Nelson Agholor is the favorite for the role, but it sounds like he will have to share time with fourth-rounder Mack Hollins and TE Trey Burton among others. Even with Matthews gone, Agholor is nothing more than a flier in fantasy drafts.

Nelson Agholor caught 6-of-8 targets for 86 yards and one touchdown in the Eagles' Week 1 win over the Redskins.

Agholor's eight targets tied for the team lead, along with Zach Ertz and Darren Sproles. Agholor and Torrey Smith rotated in two-wide sets opposite Alshon Jeffery, and Agholor was the slot man in three-wide packages. With Jeffery tangling with Josh Norman a lot of the day, Agholor and Ertz were doing work over the middle. Agholor's touchdown was a sick play by Carson Wentz to keep the play alive for what felt like 10 seconds, and Agholor was wide open down the middle for the 58-yard score. If he's catching the ball and has confidence, Agholor has big talent. He could have some WR3 usage if he plays over Smith. The Eagles will head to Kansas City in Week 2.

Grabbed him for free today after waivers ran. I think he's a solid bet, when was the last time Alshon Jeffery stayed fit for an entire season ? 

Got him after waivers too. Looking back at my comments in 2015, I still believe the guy has the talent. He just got inside his own head all last year. It looks like he's over that now.

I enjoyed his performance, and as a Wentz owner in one league I certainly hope it continues.

that said,  I have a very hard time believing Nelson suddenly knows what to do with those oven mitts on his hands.

I'm also unconvinced that he will see 8 targets in a game again this season.

the TD was awesome, and accounted for most of his yardage. I'm not going to say "take away that TD and..." but that TD was because of a ridiculous play by Wentz, slipping a tackle, evading another one and scrambling - something that 95/100 times would be a sack.  

Can't help but feel like this is the "fool's gold" add of the week. 

But if you've got someone droppable, no harm in taking a flier. 

the TD was awesome, and accounted for most of his yardage. I'm not going to say "take away that TD and..." but that TD was because of a ridiculous play by Wentz, slipping a tackle, evading another one and scrambling - something that 95/100 times would be a sack.  
I'm responding to you but not calling you out on it specifically, but it keeps being bought up that one "broken" play accounted for 58 yards and a TD, otherwise he would have had a mediocre game. Admittedly sure that play was not typical, but Agholor did exactly what a WR is supposed to do when his QB is scrambling around, continue to fight to get open and present a target. He also showed some ability after the catch to make it into the endzone instead of just getting a 40 something yard catch.

I'm responding to you but not calling you out on it specifically, but it keeps being bought up that one "broken" play accounted for 58 yards and a TD, otherwise he would have had a mediocre game. Admittedly sure that play was not typical, but Agholor did exactly what a WR is supposed to do when his QB is scrambling around, continue to fight to get open and present a target. He also showed some ability after the catch to make it into the endzone instead of just getting a 40 something yard catch.
No argument whatsoever. It was a spectacular play. 

Something Agholor has been known for not making through his young career. And a bit flukey.

like I said, I'm specifically not saying "if it weren't for that play" because he did in fact make that play.

And hey, maybe the light switched on and he's going to finally live up to his enormous potential. It happens to some receivers. 

But I remain a bit skeptical about his target consistency & that he actually has finally gotten past the dropsies. 

Time will tell. 

Users who are viewing this thread