What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Quez Watkins, PHI (1 Viewer)

Faust

MVP
Southern Miss WR Quez Watkins ran the 40-yard dash in 4.35 seconds at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Watkins (6'0/185) came into Thursday's testing with little fanfare, but ended the evening having posted the second-fastest 40-yard dash of any receiver in Indianapolis. Only Henry Ruggs (4.27 seconds) ran faster. That speed showed on the field in the fall, with the Southern Miss wideout averaging 18.6 yards per reception. Count him as an athletic lottery ticket for Day 3. He has work to do outside of the straight-line speed/deep threat aspects in his game.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Feb 27, 2020, 10:14 PM ET

NFL Media's Lance Zierlein compared Southern Miss WR Quez Watkins to Green Bay Packers WR J'Mon Moore.

Watkins (6'0/185) was a very productive wideout when he was on the field for the Golden Eagles, and then posted the second-fastest 40-yard dash time at 4.35 seconds at the NFL Scouting Combine. "I might be a little higher on him than some others you talk to because I saw improvement and I see areas of his game that can keep getting better with time and work," an NFC Scout told Zierlein. The NFL Media analyst noted that Watkins improved in his ability to make contested catches, and that he's at his best working through zones. The concern is whether he can separate from press coverage, but Zierlein believes that the reward is there for him to be a Day 3 selection who can be a fourth-or-fifth wide receiver.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Mar 8, 2020, 3:16 PM ET

QUEZ WATKINS WR, SOUTHERN MISS GOLDEN EAGLES

Eagles traded up to select Southern Miss WR Quez Watkins with the No. 200 overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.

Watkins (6'0/185) was a two-year starting receiver at Southern Miss who earned back-to-back first-team All-CUSA honors as a redshirt sophomore and junior. In 2019, he posted a 64-1,178-6 receiving line thanks to his elite speed. He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.35 seconds at the NFL Combine but is slightly undersized at 185 pounds. The Eagles are clearly looking for more speed after drafting Jalen Reagor early, trading for Marquise Goodwin mid-draft, and adding two deep threats on Day 3. Watkins will compete for a final roster spot this summer.

Apr 25, 2020, 4:36 PM ET

Last edited by a moderator:
Eliot Shorr-Parks @EliotShorrParks

The work Quez Watkins put in with Carson Wentz over the offseason in Houston is paying off. They have had some nice connections early on in camp #Eagles
https://twitter.com/eliotshorrparks/status/1295741951891968006?s=21

Mike Kaye @mike_e_kaye

I’m very impressed with Quez Watkins. Beat Slay deep on a go route in 1 on 1 but the vet caught up and knocked the ball out. Watkins came back with a nice catch in 4 on 4 and looks good and natural as a KR. #Eagles
https://twitter.com/mike_e_kaye/status/1295742704262025216?s=21

Eliot Shorr-Parks @EliotShorrParks

Mid-practice take: Quez Watkins looks like the young WR (non-starter) that is most ready to contribute #Eagles
https://twitter.com/eliotshorrparks/status/1295745870554632193?s=21

This is the kind of guy I like a lot better when the team didn't just draft another WR in the first round of that same draft.  I had him earmarked all winter/spring but getting drafted under Raegor is a killer.

This is the kind of guy I like a lot better when the team didn't just draft another WR in the first round of that same draft.  I had him earmarked all winter/spring but getting drafted under Raegor is a killer.
And Hightower is apparently impressing in camp, too. The tall, lanky speed guy from Boise State.

But they also have Desean Jackson and Alston Jeffery that will eventually go away. So spots are opening. I have Quez on a taxi squad so I’m hoping he does well by end of season. 

I mean, why not? Probably isn't more than just a deep threat but I think Philly is willing to give everyone a shot, it's an open competition. 

Guy has been tearing up camp and had an awesome play last night. Looks like the classic boom bust WR2-3 where you get 3-140-2 one week and 1-13-0 the next. Should be interesting. 

Catching Up: Young Birds WRs Rounding Into Form

Excerpt:

Another example of progression is fellow second-year wide receiver, Quez Watkins. 

The enticing, albeit raw, Southern Mississippi speedster fell to the Eagles in the sixth round of the 2020 NFL Draft and then spent the first four weeks of the season on injured reserve, failing to yield any meaningful snaps until the final four weeks of the season. 

The 6-foot, 193-pounder played 99 offensive snaps over that span, accumulating seven receptions for 106 yards and a touchdown.

Fast forward to this year's training camp, where Watkins has consistently impressed onlookers at the NovaCare Complex with his downfield separation and big-play potential. But perhaps the most encouraging aspect of Watkins’ development is the remarkable strides made as a route-runner. The second-year receiver explodes off the ball and gets in and out of breaks cleanly and with little wasted movement.

With first-round pick DeVonta Smith sidelined, Watkins was the beneficiary of increased reps and approached his newfound opportunity with a purpose.

Sure, the wide receiver-centric coaching staff – including Sirianni, pass game coordinator Kevin Patullo, and wide receivers coach Aaron Moorehead – has adopted a pragmatic approach with the young crop of pass-catchers, drilling them on the fundamentals and minute details of the position. The added emphasis on player development is evident, as Reagor and Watkins are early signs of young players who have seemingly turned the corner thanks to a fresh approach.

Eagles offense vs. Jets defense joint practice: Quez Watkins’ route-running pays off, Jalen Hurts is sharp | Takeaways

Excerpt:

Quez Watkins does well in the slot

Watkins continues to play well during training camp. Lining up as one of the three starting wide receivers, Watkins is taking advantage of the opportunity.

Watkins has run routes more precisely, shifting his hips to set up defensive backs to create separation. Watkins credits his route-running to the time he spent working out with Atlanta Falcons wide receiver Calvin Ridley. Calling him the best route-runner in the league, Watkins said that he has learned to play “low” allowing him to shift more smoothly.

Watkins is also getting used to how Hurts scrambles, finding areas of the field to get open while rolling in the same direction as Hurts. During Tuesday’s practice, Watkins ran along the back of the end zone, moving with Hurts. Watkins then used a burst of speed to flash himself open and get a touchdown. Watkins has proven that he deserves more time on the field.

Anyone know why they keep starting out going to this guy with great success and then ignore him for the rest of the game?

Quez Watkins caught both of his targets for 117 yards in the Eagles' Week 2 loss to the 49ers.

Watkins was placed in the starting lineup over Greg Ward for his explosive speed and hasn't disappointed through two weeks. He has reeled in all five of his targets and made the most of his role in Week 2 by connecting with Jalen Hurts on a 91-yard reception. The drive ultimately resulted in a turnover on downs but Watkins has cemented himself as the best option out of the slot for Philly. Watkins doesn't see enough targets to be on the fantasy radar yet but he makes for an interesting stash in dynasty leagues. 

Sep 19, 2021, 4:34 PM ET

Quez Watkins caught both of his targets for 69 yards and one touchdown in the Eagles' Week 2 win over the Vikings.​

Watkins was the recipient of Jalen Hurts' lone passing touchdown, a 52-yard bomb down the middle in the second quarter where Watkins was all alone behind the defense. Splitting third-wideout snaps with Zach Pascal behind target hogs A.J. Brown, Dallas Goedert, and DeVonta Smith, Watkins has no business being on fantasy rosters as a situational deep threat.
Sep 20, 2022, 12:16 AM ET

Nobody is talking about him but if AJ/Smith get banged up, he could be in for some nice production in a great offense. AJ is a monster but gets banged up a lot and didn’t look great after turning his ankle in Q1 on Monday night

Users who are viewing this thread