What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Tyreek Hill, MIA (3 Viewers)

The lawyer’s best case for Tyreek is a 2 game suspension in his opinion, that would be a nice ending to this situation.   Hopefully Tyreek has and continues to be truthful and cooperative. 
The lawyer makes the assumption that Hill is guilty.  He proposes the issue as whether it is better if Hill is denying/hiding the abuse or admitting it.  There is a reason this lawyer doesn't practice in that area of law.  There is another possibility also - Hill didn't do it.   

The lawyer makes the assumption that Hill is guilty.  He proposes the issue as whether it is better if Hill is denying/hiding the abuse or admitting it.  There is a reason this lawyer doesn't practice in that area of law.  There is another possibility also - Hill didn't do it.   
Exactly.  Was coming to post this.

If nothing else comes out and there isn't stuff we don't know that's bad for Tyreek I'd be shocked if it's a year ban. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I think at this point the odds are that it will be a 6-10 game suspension.  Anything outside of this range would be a surprise, unless further information comes to light. 

But the real question isn't so much about 2019, I wonder if KC resigns him at all.  He certainly won't be breaking the bank the way we thought in January.

I think at this point the odds are that it will be a 6-10 game suspension.  Anything outside of this range would be a surprise, unless further information comes to light. 

But the real question isn't so much about 2019, I wonder if KC resigns him at all.  He certainly won't be breaking the bank the way we thought in January.
I predict franchise tag in 2020 if he plays enough for his contact to toll in 2019.

My guess is either the franchise tag or something with either pretty serious offset and recapture language if he screws up or something front-loaded and team friendly to cut him loose if he gets in trouble. But it's KC who doesn't seem to mind character issues that much so.... maybe they just throw a market setting contract at him anyway. They could free up a decent chunk of change cutting Watkins next year if they want.

When does the suspension come is what I’m curious. Do they exempt him just before the season starts and then suspend him during the season.  I feel like the Chiefs were told a date the NFL will suspend? 

When does the suspension come is what I’m curious. Do they exempt him just before the season starts and then suspend him during the season.  I feel like the Chiefs were told a date the NFL will suspend? 
Current reports expect him back by training camp. I'm guessing that the NFL drags its feet on this and potentially doesn't finalize a suspension until during the season and even then, applies it to 2020 instead of 2019. Let's be honest, the NFL is hoping that the public forgets all about this and will try to draw as little attention as possible to another potential domestic violence incident. And, the NFL wants their most electric player on the field. It's good business for the NFL when Tyreek does something crazy and the highlights are talked about all week long. 

I think the NFL and the Chiefs are slowly learning from each incident and are trying to find a middle ground. The NFL likes to suspend people that don't comply to their every whim, but there have been 0 reports of Tyreek being uncooperative with the NFL investigators (like Brady was). The NFL got a small backlash from fans when they suspended Zeke when the girlfriend admitted to fabricating the event and the investigator recommended no suspension. The Chiefs also took the moral road and cut Hunt thinking that no NFL team would tough him after that damning video, but the Browns scooped him up and now have a super cheap talented RB in his prime and the Chiefs are left with a RB who was cut last season. Williams could be good, but he's had very little track record to support that. 

The NFL and the Chiefs are hoping it all dies down, and then shortly before the season they might announce a 2-game suspension for conduct unbecoming, but they'll announce it when something else big is happening. Like a really big trade or the kickoff of the league year with preseason games. They don't want people to notice, and they hope that when Tyreek takes the field in week 3, all we care about is that next 80 yard TD pass or TD punt return. 

He'll play out this contract, get Franchised next year, and then in 2021 he'll be the Next Highest Paid WR in the NFL! With some clauses in his contract about him getting $0 if he's involved in any more off the field incidents. The NFL is all about views and money, and Tyreek brings in lots of both. The Chiefs AND NFL want him on the field as soon as possible. 

The league has any number of ways to extract their pound of flesh. They can add Hill to the exempt list until their investigation is completed and then suspend him on top of that. I doubt the league has told the Chiefs anything more than that he may not be available. They may have communicated back and forth what may happen and what options are available to the league if the Chiefs allow Hill back with the team. At some point, I would expect things to get contentious between the league and the Chiefs.

If we believe the league, they have not even started their investigation yet. Worst case for Hill is if Goodell puts Hill on the exempt list until the CPS case is completed, leaves him on the exempt list until the NFL completes their investigation, and then suspends him on top of it. I am not suggesting that is how things will play out, but I think that option is available if they really wanted to go that route.

I think Roger will survey the other owners to get a sense of what their position is on the matter. Remember, Goodell works for the owners, and if collectively think Hill didn't do all that much he may only get a minor suspension. If they think the perception is that Hill is a monster, is bad for the league, and the fans and sponsors would be outraged to not punish him pretty harshly, then they will come up with ways to keep him off the field.

The NFL likes to suspend people that don't comply to their every whim, but there have been 0 reports of Tyreek being uncooperative with the NFL investigators (like Brady was).
Hard to be uncooperative when the NFL has not even started their investigation. So we will have to wait and see what happens once they do start their investigation and Hill has to sit down with investigators and with Goodell.

Hard to be uncooperative when the NFL has not even started their investigation. So we will have to wait and see what happens once they do start their investigation and Hill has to sit down with investigators and with Goodell.
I thought that the NFL started it's own investigation, but Goodell stated that there would be no conclusion until after the Criminal Investigation was concluded. He also said that they "are ready to perform an interview when given the appropriate permissions." I took this to mean that they were going to interview Tyreek after the Criminal Investigation, and perhaps CPS, was finished with him. I was unable to find any articles that stated that the NFL investigation had yet to begin. It would make sense that they don't want to interfere in a criminal investigation, but they also don't want to wait for recollections to diminish. 

Our earliest new information might be around July 27th, that's when Chiefs training camp starts. They would prefer that Hill be back with the team by then if the NFL was going to allow him to play this year. Unless Goodell wants this all handled as far before the NFL season as possible to let it all blow over, I imagine no moved are made until the 2nd half of July. 

Goddell doesn't give two ####s about what happens during the summer.  Other suspensions have allowed the player to train with the team and play in preseason games.  If anything gets handed down at all, it won't take effect until the regular season begins.

steelers1080 said:
Our earliest new information might be around July 27th, that's when Chiefs training camp starts. They would prefer that Hill be back with the team by then if the NFL was going to allow him to play this year. Unless Goodell wants this all handled as far before the NFL season as possible to let it all blow over, I imagine no moved are made until the 2nd half of July. 
My interpretation of Goodell's comments is that the league will start a full investigation after the criminal investigation and CPS investigation / case have both been completed. I am not sure if they would wait until there the recommended course of action proposed by CPS plays out of not. My understanding in cases when a minor child is removed from a home / the parents is that CPS develops a plan and criteria that the parents / family have to abide by to get the child back with them. That could involve some simple things (get rid of a pit bull, use a different babysitter, keep food in the house at all times, removal or lock up of firearms, etc., or that could involve other longer, more time consuming steps (taking parenting classes, counseling for the parents or child, anger management therapy, more monitoring of health issues, repeated interviews with teachers, more home visits, etc.). The goal typically is to reunite the child with the family / parents and CPS will demand that the home /environment is safe and stable with a high probability of staying that way.

I would think that Goodell will want to know how that process is going to see how diligent and compliant Hill has been. I doubt he waits for the final outcome, as that would likely take a long time. The way the league has generally acted in the past, they often let the player and those involved talk to whomever that investigated the incident(s) first and interview the player at the end of things to ultimately catch them in lies, inconsistencies, or changes in their stories.

If you read the series of tweets from an attorney a page or so ago, I think what he outlined is what Hill is facing. If Hill denies, denies, denies without any explanation of what happened or if he admitted to certain things and then changes his story . . . or if he stonewalls Goodell when they finally meet and Hill's version of what happened doesn't jive with what information or determinations have been made, then I think Hill is in for trouble.

Certainly we don't know what information is available, who the league can speak to, what other evidence or photos may be available, etc. There could be plenty of information that has never come out or there could be nothing. So its hard to speculate what the league will do and what information they can access, so the outcomes run from no time missed to a full year missed for Hill (and all points in between).

steelers1080 said:
Current reports expect him back by training camp. I'm guessing that the NFL drags its feet on this and potentially doesn't finalize a suspension until during the season and even then, applies it to 2020 instead of 2019. Let's be honest, the NFL is hoping that the public forgets all about this and will try to draw as little attention as possible to another potential domestic violence incident. And, the NFL wants their most electric player on the field. It's good business for the NFL when Tyreek does something crazy and the highlights are talked about all week long. 

I think the NFL and the Chiefs are slowly learning from each incident and are trying to find a middle ground. The NFL likes to suspend people that don't comply to their every whim, but there have been 0 reports of Tyreek being uncooperative with the NFL investigators (like Brady was). The NFL got a small backlash from fans when they suspended Zeke when the girlfriend admitted to fabricating the event and the investigator recommended no suspension. The Chiefs also took the moral road and cut Hunt thinking that no NFL team would tough him after that damning video, but the Browns scooped him up and now have a super cheap talented RB in his prime and the Chiefs are left with a RB who was cut last season. Williams could be good, but he's had very little track record to support that. 

The NFL and the Chiefs are hoping it all dies down, and then shortly before the season they might announce a 2-game suspension for conduct unbecoming, but they'll announce it when something else big is happening. Like a really big trade or the kickoff of the league year with preseason games. They don't want people to notice, and they hope that when Tyreek takes the field in week 3, all we care about is that next 80 yard TD pass or TD punt return. 

He'll play out this contract, get Franchised next year, and then in 2021 he'll be the Next Highest Paid WR in the NFL! With some clauses in his contract about him getting $0 if he's involved in any more off the field incidents. The NFL is all about views and money, and Tyreek brings in lots of both. The Chiefs AND NFL want him on the field as soon as possible. 
Makes a ton of sense that’s how I lean. From a seeing the field standpoint this incident happened where the NFL PR can announce suspension Labor Day. 

If the league really wanted their playmakers on the field, why did players like ADP . . . Or Zeke . . .  Or Hunt miss so many games?

steelers1080 said:
The NFL is all about views and money, and Tyreek brings in lots of both. The Chiefs AND NFL want him on the field as soon as possible. 
Mahomes will bring in views with or without Tyreek on the field.

Real possible at this point that Hill did nothing wrong other than the comment on a pre planned recorded call where the fiancé is trying to get something on him....and making comments to try and push his buttons like “ he is terrified of you”.....remember she says and it is her words in a call she knows she is recording.....she could be trying to get a reaction out of him by saying “he is terrified of you”....mission accomplished when he responds the way he did....but we have no idea if the child is actually terrified of him....outside of that response it is totally possible that HIll has done NOTHING....yeah he may be in a really jacked up relationship that wasn’t a great environment for the child, including the mother abusing the child, (which she has admitted to) and trying to shame Hill (which she has admitted to)....people will freak out and focus on “well why was the child removed from HIS custody” if he didn’t do anything, ...well the way it works is that sometimes. “that happens.”...CPS will error on the side of caution and temporarily remove a child until they figure #### out.....and it appears there was a lot of #### here....and it appears after what they have gathered that they felt good enough about starting the reunification process with Hill (I have not heard about the mom).....there really probably isn’t anything more to really “investigate” at this time....

The thing is.....Rog will never actually be able to come out say why he is suspending Hill other than “code of conduct” or whatever language the want to use.....because Hill will not have any criminal charges.....he isn’t going to be able to say “because he beat his kid” or “he slapped his wife” or any of that.....the most he can say is “code of conduct/he shouldn’t have said what he said on the call”....(even though some could justify what he said if you felt she was trying to push his buttons and she had a pattern of being bat ### crazy or something)......it sounds bad to say it like that and I’m not trying to say it that way, but sometimes there aren’t really great/nice ways to say things....

Wish there was betting odds on this.  I’d take over 4 games for a ton.

zero chance he gets off without a suspension.  Bottom line is CPS took the kid away from him and his girlfriend.  They don’t do that lightly. 

zero chance he gets off without a suspension.  Bottom line is CPS took the kid away from him and his girlfriend.  They don’t do that lightly. 
Sometimes they error on the side of caution with both parties even if it turns out the “problem” predominantly resides on one side..... lot of he said/she said in CPS/family things most of the times and it was probably happening big time here at the beginning 

I would agree...and probably set the over/under at 6. If forced to bet I would say 8.

Sometimes they error on the side of caution with both parties even if it turns out the “problem” predominantly resides on one side..... lot of he said/she said in things most of the times and it was probably happening big time here at the beginning 
Blaming everything of the girlfriend (which is what the nfl would be saying if they don’t suspend Tyreek) won’t fly in today’s climate.

also based on his past history it would look even worse.

he’s 99.9% getting suspended.  How many games and when is only question.

Blaming everything of the girlfriend (which is what the nfl would be saying if they don’t suspend Tyreek) won’t fly in today’s climate.

also based on his past history it would look even worse.

he’s 99.9% getting suspended.  How many games and when is only question.
Agree 100%....but if it turns out that she has that Münchausen syndrome or whatever and has been trying to set him up and is really responsible for about  100% of this (including the taped call trying to set him up)....it might not look real good to punish him for “nothing”....

I’m still interested to hear if the fiancé and her family/father were trying to jack with him in all of this....there was some talk of that....if some of that comes out it changes things as well IMO....

I'm at 2-4 games. Just to please the media/public. The media jumped the gun pretty big here and they can never be wrong. Articles will continue to be written probably saying that even if he didn't do these thing he should be punished for not stopping them. So Goodell will suspend him to appease the media. 

Mahomes will bring in views with or without Tyreek on the field.
True, but viewership will still be reduced without one of the most electric players in the NFL. Even if the Chiefs are getting more views than in years past, that doesn't mean they'll match what they'd be capable of with Tyreek. 

If the league really wanted their playmakers on the field, why did players like ADP . . . Or Zeke . . .  Or Hunt miss so many games?
ADP was already on the decline and plead guilty (He's had a bit of a resurgence in DC). Kareem Hunt was on video kicking a girl on the ground. Their hands were 100% tied in both of those situations. With Zeke they had a protracted investigation and it was in the public eye for months, and by the end Goodell decided that it had drawn enough bad PR for the league that it had to be punished. The lead investigator had said there should be no suspension, and one of the most powerful owners was against it, and there was a fan push back after the suspension was announced. With Tyreek, outside of fantasy players almost no one is talking about his situation. It was quashed during the draft except for when Mecole Hardman was taken, and then no charges were filed against him, so, many people believe him to be innocent (I think there's just a lack of proof of guilt, not that he's necessarily innocent). 

My opinion is that Goodell likes flexing his suspension muscles, but they're also evolving the code of conduct suspension process somewhat. Ray Rice hit a woman on video and was indefinitely suspended, but Hunt was only given 8 games. Also, they're often waiting for the criminal investigation to play out before bringing down the hammer. I think that because the criminal investigation didn't charge Hill, he has a chance to get 4 games or less. I think he'll comply with the NFL to an extent, but also say that he can't give over some info used in the CPS investigation. Goodell might see that as withholding and punish him harsher, but I think the longest suspension we see, without new information coming to light, is 6 games. 

True, but viewership will still be reduced without one of the most electric players in the NFL. Even if the Chiefs are getting more views than in years past, that doesn't mean they'll match what they'd be capable of with Tyreek. 

ADP was already on the decline and plead guilty (He's had a bit of a resurgence in DC). Kareem Hunt was on video kicking a girl on the ground. Their hands were 100% tied in both of those situations. With Zeke they had a protracted investigation and it was in the public eye for months, and by the end Goodell decided that it had drawn enough bad PR for the league that it had to be punished. The lead investigator had said there should be no suspension, and one of the most powerful owners was against it, and there was a fan push back after the suspension was announced. With Tyreek, outside of fantasy players almost no one is talking about his situation. It was quashed during the draft except for when Mecole Hardman was taken, and then no charges were filed against him, so, many people believe him to be innocent (I think there's just a lack of proof of guilt, not that he's necessarily innocent). 

My opinion is that Goodell likes flexing his suspension muscles, but they're also evolving the code of conduct suspension process somewhat. Ray Rice hit a woman on video and was indefinitely suspended, but Hunt was only given 8 games. Also, they're often waiting for the criminal investigation to play out before bringing down the hammer. I think that because the criminal investigation didn't charge Hill, he has a chance to get 4 games or less. I think he'll comply with the NFL to an extent, but also say that he can't give over some info used in the CPS investigation. Goodell might see that as withholding and punish him harsher, but I think the longest suspension we see, without new information coming to light, is 6 games. 
A lot of people are ignoring the wildcard that could be as bad or worse than the suspension. Many of the prior players languished on the exempt list for weeks. 

I think Goodell will end up putting Hill on the exempt list for the first month of the season and then come back and say they have concluded their investigation and suspend Hill for 8 games. So he would end up missing 12-13 games and be back for the end of the season IF he doesn’t fight it. 

If he chooses to play while the suspension is upheld, he could end up missing the playoff push and the post season. 

I think the other factor here is that the league couldn’t do anything to Hill for what happened in college, but this will be their chance to make up for it. 

Another issue for the Chiefs is that this is their third player in the past few seasons with off field issues (along with Hunt and the player that killed his girlfriend and then himself). They also just signed someone else with a spotty and checked past. 

Personally, I am not buying into the narrative that the league wants their stars on the field in situations like this and I don’t believe that the majority of people WANT Hill to only get a slap on the wrist. 

Sure, it’s the off season and things are pretty slow, but things will change as we approach the start of the season. 

As I mentioned, let’s see what happens when the Chiefs want to allow Hill back with the team in a few weeks. If the league intervenes and adds him to the excerpt list, that would be a really bad sign for Hill, as that could last a long time. 

Personally, I am not buying into the narrative that the league wants their stars on the field in automations like this and I don’t believe that the majority of people WANT Hill to only get a slap on the wrist. 
Yeah, I agree with this. My sense is that the NFL is mostly selling its teams and "the league/the shield," and that the calculation on individual players is based upon whether they positively or negatively reflect upon the product in more general terms. Stars certainly matter, but you need a lot of them across multiple teams, and when a specific individual threatens the marketability of the whole, this is where the NFL often exercises its disciplinary authority. That's what Goodell sold when he came in as commissioner, and that's his "sheriff" legacy. I think in the NFL a "keep your stars on the field" rationale may apply to QBs, but even then that would be because of the impact of QB on the overall quality of play. A rash of injuries to elite skill players across the league can also bring ratings down (as we may have seen, for ex. in  2016 and 2017). I'm not sure how the investigatory part of this goes down, but from a PR perspective my guess is Goodell thinks about Hill's presence on the field primarily through the lens of whether he casts a shadow over the league as a whole.

In general, the football-viewing public doesn’t know Tyreek Hill from Adam. He’s a nobody nationally, except to hardcore fans and locals. 

People are not tuning in to see Hill specifically, except maybe the zealots. And those people would be watching anyway. 

Have any suspensions been reduced lately? Seems like years ago they would but gone are the days of Goodell lowering his initial call 
Most recent one that has any semblance of a similarity would be Greg Hardy in 2015, so really not recently, no. He went from 10 games down to 4.

I'll take 4 and under on a handshake wager (as we don't know each other).  Not that I think he won't see more than 4, but the guy in my league who has him is adamant he won't see any time away. 

We'll see I suppose. The reporters that cover the team say that the expectation is that Tyreek will rejoin the team by training camp, meaning that his Exempt Status will be over by then. I'm not sure that they definitively know more than the average joe, but that's what has been reported. 

We'll see I suppose. The reporters that cover the team say that the expectation is that Tyreek will rejoin the team by training camp, meaning that his Exempt Status will be over by then. I'm not sure that they definitively know more than the average joe, but that's what has been reported. 
He is on a team suspension and the team may want to reactivate him. That’s entirely different than the commissioner’s exempt list, which involves Goodell. 

He is on a team suspension and the team may want to reactivate him. That’s entirely different than the commissioner’s exempt list, which involves Goodell. 
...which he can't even be placed on until the season (at least that's what was reported on Sirius NFL).

Oh ok, I thought he was away due to being on the Exempt List. Well, then we might see NFL movement whenever the Chiefs decide to reinstate him. 

Huh?  If he plays at all it doesn't toll.  And if it does toll, they won't have to FT him because he'll be under contract for the tolled year.
You're right on the tolling. I thought there was some minimum number of games you needed to be active for the contract to "count", but I was confusing it with the RFA rules. 

But he is not under contract in 2020, so the question is what are the Chiefs going to do if he plays less than a full season in 2019, give him a big contract or let him walk? I think they'd tag him for 2020 and work on a big contract if he continues to stay out of trouble into the 2020 season. 

I think they FT him regardless.  The NFL doesn't let talent walk unless they have to.  Giving him 1 year won't get them nearly the angst that giving him $100M would.  I also think that if the NFL is planning to give him 10 weeks, KCC backchannels that they wouldn't fight 12 either.  That way they get him for the EOS and playoffs and get a crack at him as an RFA next year.

If KC “stands by” this dude through all of this....I could see them coming to a nice contract that benefits both parties down the road....without having to overpay...Hill knows he has a nice thing going with Mahomes for basically the rest of his career if he chooses...wh would he really want to leave...

If KC “stands by” this dude through all of this....I could see them coming to a nice contract that benefits both parties down the road....without having to overpay...Hill knows he has a nice thing going with Mahomes for basically the rest of his career if he chooses...wh would he really want to leave...
Dude’s got lots of blackmail money to pay off. ;)

He’s gonna follow the $$$

The Tyreek thread has dropped off the first page.....

This is trending on Twitter - interesting read.  https://www.scribd.com/document/414275806/ONE-HILLUVA-STORY-HOW-TYREEK-IS-NOT-ONLY-INNOCENT-HE-IS-A-VICTIM

Those of us holding the tryeek cards...news and opinions seem to be shifting.   

I bought Tyreek on the super cheap just 24 hours after the news broke.  Maybe this works out for us fantasy owners.  

At the same time ..  the whole situation is messed up.   Especially for his son.

According to Nate Taylor of The Athletic, the Chiefs believe Tyreek Hill could be suspended by the NFL as soon as next month.

The Chiefs barred Hill from offseason activities in the wake of child abuse allegations, though barring further evidence, it looks like he'll avoid criminal charges. While the expectation is that Hill will be reinstated ahead of next month's training camp, a suspension for violating the league's code of conduct remains a distinct possibility. He could be facing a punishment similar to the eight-game ban Kareem Hunt received for a domestic violence incident last year. For fantasy purposes, Travis Kelce, Sammy Watkins and Mecole Hardman would benefit the most from Hill's absence.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Jun 24, 2019, 9:40 AM ET

The Tyreek thread has dropped off the first page.....

This is trending on Twitter - interesting read.  https://www.scribd.com/document/414275806/ONE-HILLUVA-STORY-HOW-TYREEK-IS-NOT-ONLY-INNOCENT-HE-IS-A-VICTIM

Those of us holding the tryeek cards...news and opinions seem to be shifting.   

I bought Tyreek on the super cheap just 24 hours after the news broke.  Maybe this works out for us fantasy owners.  

At the same time ..  the whole situation is messed up.   Especially for his son.
Interesting. Thanks for posting. 

Users who are viewing this thread