What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WSL1 discussion (3 Viewers)

Nice little TE run going...did not like that at all...Taking Big Ben cost me Pitta/Randolph/Bennett, all of whom I was targeting. I'll feel fine with my selection if Keller cannot go in 2014.

Stephen Holloway said:
Been an unusual winter on the gulf coast
Here in Tidewater too...MUCH colder than last year, and we've had two significant snow-falls in a week after none for the last 3 or 4 years

With all the Pitta talk...I was torn between Ertz and Pitta at 6.07. Seemed like Ertz may have a slightly higher ceiling, while Pitta was probably a hair safer. Being a Philly fan made it an easier choice (always have 1 Eagle, but try hard to take them at/after ADP)

U way overpaid for Ertz imo, he went 3 full rounds later on wsl2,
Eagles fan here too and while I agree 6.07 is too early for Ertz, 9.03 was way too late. I'd have taken him over 4 TEs that went before him in WSL2 (Gates, Miller, L. Green, and Ebron). I was ready to jump on him at 9.04 even though I already had Jimmy Graham.

No way I'm taking him over Pitta, though. Looking for an 80-catch season and top-6 finish out of him.

RG III, Dalton

Lynch, Sproles

Crabtree, RWhite, Watkins

Gronk

Call this the "back to 2012" team. QB should be fine. RB, need Sproles to return to form. WR, same with Crabtree/Roddy and hope that Watkins lands well. Gronk is a risk, especially early, that I'll have to cover for. Likely a team that will have huge ups and downs which probably isn't the best for survivor, but I have been picking off value for the most part so far. We'll see how well I fill the holes...

RG III, Dalton

Lynch, Sproles

Crabtree, RWhite, Watkins

Gronk

Call this the "back to 2012" team. QB should be fine. RB, need Sproles to return to form. WR, same with Crabtree/Roddy and hope that Watkins lands well. Gronk is a risk, especially early, that I'll have to cover for. Likely a team that will have huge ups and downs which probably isn't the best for survivor, but I have been picking off value for the most part so far. We'll see how well I fill the holes...
Looks like a very good buy low, value team. Good blend of safe and risk.

Thus far:

QB Brees

RB L Bell and Blount

WR Edelman, Boldin, Jones

TE Witten and Wright

Call me the all free agent team (Blount, Edelman, Boldin). Been trying to pickoff value, and grab the guys who are falling because their situation is possibly changing (Blount, Edelman, Boldin). Wright was a reach, but the other player I was contemplating there was fairly meh to me, so I figured I'd give it a go. We'll see if the other guy falls to me...

Also, is Sinrman on 4 hour clock or 8 hour? I would think we're giving him a pass on the "strike" given the ordeal he was going through when he clocked out last time...

Probably a bit early, but doubt he makes it back...

8.06 WR Sammy Watkins, ???
If by "early" you mean "2-1/2 rounds later than he went in WSL2", then yes. :o

I'm really curious to see where the rest of the rooks shake out in this draft compared to ours though.

Also, is Sinrman on 4 hour clock or 8 hour? I would think we're giving him a pass on the "strike" given the ordeal he was going through when he clocked out last time...
Thanks, but I should be on a 4 hour clock because of the 1st round. If they aren't forgiving of Snowmageddon, I am really on a 2 hour clock. :P

Nice little TE run going...did not like that at all...Taking Big Ben cost me Pitta/Randolph/Bennett, all of whom I was targeting. I'll feel fine with my selection if Keller cannot go in 2014.
It will be very interesting to see how it all plays out, because if I hadn't missed my picks at 5.16 and 6.01, I was targeting Big Ben, so he wouldn't have made it back to you. Not too crazy about Tannehill, but he

is at least a viable starter.

I probably should have gone TE at 6.01, but I decided to take a risk for my #3 WR and go Blackmon who has monster ability. Just need for him to get his head out of his ### and not get suspended again.

Current:

Brady, Locker

Charles, Spiller, Miller

Cobb, Austin, Stills

Reed

Don't like locker as my #2 but I'm fairly confident he starts while healthy. He's a streaky guy but has upside. More confident with him than the remaining quarterbacks.

Almost went with a veteran receiver here as a safety net, but the more I thought about stills, the more I liked the pick. I usually stay away from too much risk at any one position and i might regret it at receiver where all 3 have varying risks. Funny though, I'm more confident in stills being productive than any receiver available including the vets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Figured it was about the time to address RB. I'm estimating one of the two will be a significant deal once the draft shakes out, while the other will be a slight overpay. Mostly I just like gambling, and it is Super Bowl weekend after all.

M Ryan

L McCoy

T Mason

C Hyde

J Nelson

V Jackson

M Wallace

D Bowe

D Pitta

Figured it was about the time to address RB. I'm estimating one of the two will be a significant deal once the draft shakes out, while the other will be a slight overpay. Mostly I just like gambling, and it is Super Bowl weekend after all.

M Ryan

L McCoy

T Mason

C Hyde

J Nelson

V Jackson

M Wallace

D Bowe

D Pitta
It's a brilliant move (except you're still vulnerable at qb). I think Hyde will be likely to produce as a rb2 and mason has potential. For waiting on rb, you could do a whole lot worse.

01.15 WR Brandon Marshall Chicago Bears02.02 RB Reggie Bush Detroit Lions03.15 WR Wes Welker Denver Broncos04.02 WR T.Y. Hilton Indianapolis Colts05.15 QB Jay Cutler Chicago Bears06.02 QB Colin Kaepernick San Francisco 49ers 07.15 TE Heath Miller Pittsburgh Steelers08.02 RB Danny Woodhead San Diego Chargers09.15 TE Eric Ebron Rookie10.02 RB Andre Brown New York Giants/Free AgentSmokin Jay Culter and Kaep got my QB position on lock down. I'm getting a low ceiling, high floor vibe from these two.

Bush and Woodhead anchor the RB spot with their PPR skills, while Brown's situation is unclear. He could end up being productive.

Wide receivers are great, and should be, since I invested three of my first four picks. I believe Eric Decker will get signed elsewhere and Welker will get a bigger slice of the passing pie in Denver. Marshall should keep up his top five ways with his BFF Cutler locked up long term. Hilton is the main receiver in Indy; I have my doubts about Wayne coming all the way back, at least not until later in the season.

Heath Miller and rookie Eric Ebron are very unsexy tight end options. Might have to grab a third later to alleviate some risk.

1.12 Peyton Manning QB DEN

4.05 Knowshon Moreno RB DEN

5.12 Montee Ball RB DEN

2.05 Julio Jones WR ATL

6.05 Marques Colston WR NO

As teams keep trying to take away Jimmy Graham I think Colston can still take the scraps and put up some numbers. Had a very solid performance in their last game against SEA so it seems like he still has some left and finsihed strong after being dinged much of the year. Probably would have preferred him as my WR3 but in a 16 teamer he's a decent WR2.

3.12 Jordan Cameron TE CLE

7.12 Stevan Ridley RB NE

Fresh start next year, still has the skills to be a solid RB in the NFL. Will have to see how things shake out with Blount or if they bring in someone else, but in the late 7th round and some questions at RB around the league I think there is some value here.

10.05 Pierre Thomas RB NO

Good football player. Second on the team in catches. Hmmmm......

8.05 Danny Amendola WR NE

Like the Ridley pick we will have to see how this shakes out. If nothing else I am continuing my theme of taking players from decent offenses. He could get cut, but when healthy he can be a catch whore somewhere.

9.12 James Jones WR GB

Why not add one more question mark to this roster. Am I drafting in 2014 or 2012?

1.12 Peyton Manning QB DEN

4.05 Knowshon Moreno RB DEN

5.12 Montee Ball RB DEN

7.12 Stevan Ridley RB NE

10.05 Pierre Thomas RB NO

2.05 Julio Jones WR ATL

6.05 Marques Colston WR NO

8.05 Danny Amendola WR NE

9.12 James Jones WR GB

3.12 Jordan Cameron TE CLE

QB Brees and Geno

Had Brees last year in WSL too and waited until late/last to grab my 2nd QB (Gabbert). Got lucky to survive his bye week as Gabbert didn't play that week. Assuming Geno is the Jets #1 next year, at least I should get a score + he has the potential to count other weeks too.

RB L Bell, Blount, Ingram

Bell was discussed earlier. Still think that if Blount doesn't punch that Boise State kid, he has a monster senior year, turns into a high NFL pick, and he gets into a spot where he is a consistent 2nd/3rd round FFL pick. On Ingram, at this point, I've drafted him so many times in so many formats, that I have to take him, because if I skip him and he breaks out I'll be more miserable than if I draft him and he busts. At least in the 9th, he can only be a semi-bust. Chose him over Donald Brown, but only barely (thought about grabbing Brown and gambling he'd get back to me, but knew I wanted Geno in the 10th).

WR Edelman, Boldin, Jones (CIN)

If Edelman and Boldin stay where they are, and Jones continues to improve, I like this first three enough (esp considering they are 4th, 5th, 6th round picks). My big gamble here is that there will be WR talent available late (and that I'll find it).

TE Witten, Tim Wright

Witten has been more boom and bust week to week than I remember him from earlier in his career. Wright was double digit most weeks, so I'm expecting big things out of TE this year.

10.06 RB Marcus Lattimore, San Francisco 49ers
Good pick and one I have mixed feelings about. On one hand, I don't need a RB but might have had to take him here, so I won't have to make that choice. OTOH, he's potentially an excellent value.

Draft thus far:

QB - 5.09 - Big Ben

RB - 2.08 - Gio Bernard

RB - 4.08 - Frank Gore

RB - 9.09 - Chris Ivory

WR - 1.09 - AJ Green

WR - 3.09 - Victor Cruz

WR - 4.08 - Percy Harvin

WR - 8.08 - Stevie Johnson

WR - 10.08 - Doug Baldwin

TE - 7.09 - Charles Clay

Satisfied with my team...I think my best pick was Big Ben...waited until mid 5th round to get a solid QB. Was originally planning on loading up on 3-4 bottom tier guys, but could not pass up Ben there. Feel as though there is a big drop off after him. Worst pick was Stevie Johnson. Should have gone Maclin (and I debated it), but just did not do it. I think Baldwin, who I picked two rounds later, is a better pick straight up than Stevie.

WR is a spot of strength for me, and I should be among the top scorers in that category each week. I think I can hold the fort with RB (Ivory, in my mind, kind of helped me there...I would be in trouble without him) and OK at TE and QB. In the end, I put less emphasis on QB than most. I feel as though if I can score consistently in the WR/RB categories, I will not have the low score early on in the contest. I know I covered my bases with WR...just not sure on RB.

Draft thus far:

QB - 5.09 - Big Ben

RB - 2.08 - Gio Bernard

RB - 4.08 - Frank Gore

RB - 9.09 - Chris Ivory

WR - 1.09 - AJ Green

WR - 3.09 - Victor Cruz

WR - 4.08 - Percy Harvin

TE - 7.09 - Charles Clay

Satisfied with my team...I think my best pick was Big Ben...waited until mid 5th round to get a solid QB. Was originally planning on loading up on 3-4 bottom tier guys, but could not pass up Ben there. Feel as though there is a big drop off after him. Worst pick was Stevie Johnson. Should have gone Maclin (and I debated it), but just did not do it. I think Baldwin, who I picked two rounds later, is a better pick straight up than Stevie.

WR is a spot of strength for me, and I should be among the top scorers in that category each week. I think I can hold the fort with RB (Ivory, in my mind, kind of helped me there...I would be in trouble without him) and OK at TE and QB. In the end, I put less emphasis on QB than most. I feel as though if I can score consistently in the WR/RB categories, I will not have the low score early on in the contest. I know I covered my bases with WR...just not sure on RB.
I really like what you did here. I was close to taking Harvin at 3.5. He should have gone in the 3rd. Cruz was a solid pick in the 3rd. This will be a competitive team.

Draft thus far:

QB - 5.09 - Big Ben

RB - 2.08 - Gio Bernard

RB - 4.08 - Frank Gore

RB - 9.09 - Chris Ivory

WR - 1.09 - AJ Green

WR - 3.09 - Victor Cruz

WR - 4.08 - Percy Harvin

TE - 7.09 - Charles Clay

I really like what you did here. I was close to taking Harvin at 3.5. He should have gone in the 3rd. Cruz was a solid pick in the 3rd. This will be a competitive team.
I agree. Really liking the look of this squad. Big Ben was a steal.

Draft thus far:

QB - 5.09 - Big Ben

RB - 2.08 - Gio Bernard

RB - 4.08 - Frank Gore

RB - 9.09 - Chris Ivory

WR - 1.09 - AJ Green

WR - 3.09 - Victor Cruz

WR - 4.08 - Percy Harvin

TE - 7.09 - Charles Clay

I agree. Really liking the look of this squad. Big Ben was a steal.
Percy was the bigger steal imo

[SIZE=medium]QB- Cam Newton 4.11 and Johnny Manziel (Rookie) 9.6 – Newton has the ability to add rushing yards and TDs to his passing stats and surely with the Panthers having a solid defense, the team will look to add another solid receiving option for Newton. Waited a little long for my second, but I am a believer that Manziel can play if he continues to work hard through the combine and after getting drafted. It is possibile that he could be the #1 pick and start from the get-go in a ready-made situation in Houston.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]RB – Matt Forte 1.6 and Maurice Jones-Drew 6.11 – Love getting a work-horse three down back early in these drafts and Forte is an excellent receiver that has been used well in that role. Even though these survivors are 16-teamers, I tend to shy away from going heavy at RB early on because you can locate more consistent points in the receiver positions. I was pleased to get Jones-Drew as RB27 as I expect that he will have a desire to perform with another team. He is also a good receiving running back and should be productive wherever he lands in 2014.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]WR - Antonio Brown 2.11, Pierre Garcon 3.6, Kendall Wright 5.6, and Hakeem Nicks 8.11 – These first three all produced better than I expected this year and two of them should have improved QB play next year. They were all heavily targeted and should be again in 2014. Nicks greatly disappointed this year, but has the talent to be the apple of some owner’s eye in free agency and hopefully will land in another good situation.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]TE – Kyle Rudolph 7.6 – Waited a while to get a TE and am happy with Rudolph, who also has to have better QB play next year.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Newton and Rudolph seemed like bargains where I drafted them, and I am pleased with my two RBs, but not too many players that I was hoping for dropped in my lap yet. I have been really busy and not too involved in the draft chatter, but hopefully can chip in a little more as we enter the stretch run. This is by no means one of the top teams, but I like the foundation and can hopefully add some fire power in the second half of the draft.[/SIZE]

QB: Tannehill, Bradford
RB: Murray, Morris, D Brown
WR: Wayne, Decker, Blackmon, E Sanders
TE: D Walker
K:
DST;

QBs are meh. Waited too long, and also kinda missed on someone like Big Ben because of the snow storm, but that's how the chips fall sometimes! Digging my RBs so far. I only hope they stay healthy. Wayne coming back from injury is a little bit of a concern, but he will be heavily leaned on again next year. Blackmon is a big risk if he gets busted again, but his value is through the roof if he stays clean. Especially if they get a decent QB for once to chuck him the ball. Decker is a bit of a concern if he leaves Denver, but could still produce well if he goes somewhere with an established QB. Sanders quietly put up some good numbers, and a decent value for where I got him. Walker is a so-so TE. Need more help there but it's already very thin at that position.

11.03 Mike Evans, WR Rookie FA
not exactly a FA, but I like the pick. I couldn't take him as I needed to mitigate some risk at this turn, but he should have a few good games.

With you already having Calvin and Jennings on board, you have a stud and a safety valve. Hopkins plus Evans gives you some nice upside at the position.

Brady, Locker
Charles, Spiller, Miller
Cobb, Austin, Stills, Tate
Reed, Cook

I took this turn to mitigate some of the risk at WR and TE. Cook is no longer the "next big thing" and has dropped from the SSLs last year (8.02 in SSL4) but as the #21 TE taken, he was the #20 TE last year ppg. I think he does better this year and presents value without much risk.

Tate will be an interesting FA this year. I don't know if Seattle brings him back (though it seems he wants to, and they seem to want him back) and I'm not worried about it - if he leaves I think/hope he signs with a team like Detroit or Philly. If he re-signs with Seattle, he'll be the #2 if Harvin stays healthy. Either way, he was the #30 WR last year and I highly doubt he falls out of the WR3 range.

Both picks make me feel more comfortable with the amount of risk I've taken so far.

Brady, Locker

Charles, Spiller, Miller

Reed, Cook

I took this turn to mitigate some of the risk at WR and TE. Cook is no longer the "next big thing" and has dropped from the SSLs last year (8.02 in SSL4) but as the #21 TE taken, he was the #20 TE last year ppg. I think he does better this year and presents value without much risk.

Tate will be an interesting FA this year. I don't know if Seattle brings him back (though it seems he wants to, and they seem to want him back) and I'm not worried about it - if he leaves I think/hope he signs with a team like Detroit or Philly. If he re-signs with Seattle, he'll be the #2 if Harvin stays healthy. Either way, he was the #30 WR last year and I highly doubt he falls out of the WR3 range.

Both picks make me feel more comfortable with the amount of risk I've taken so far.
Thank God I'm not in WSL1 because this team is absurdly loaded. If you offered me your squad for mine straight up right now it would be one of those "what is he thinking?" insta-accepts and I bet I'm not the only one.

Brady, Locker

Charles, Spiller, Miller

Reed, Cook

I don't agree with you regarding Tate. I see his value elsewhere being huge compare to his value with Harvin in Seattle.

so you guys blowing on FUBAR, thats the whole reverse jinx thing right? Because we do that to a guy in my league every year and he never wins a thing. LMFAO

His WR core looks weak to me, and he better hope Jordan Reed dont go Javhid Best on him or hes bumming.

SO THERE!

Mr. Irrelevant said:
FUBAR said:
Brady, Locker

Charles, Spiller, Miller

Reed, Cook

Thank God I'm not in WSL1 because this team is absurdly loaded. If you offered me your squad for mine straight up right now it would be one of those "what is he thinking?" insta-accepts and I bet I'm not the only one.
I'll bite....not a huge fan....

top 10 QB in Brady....

Spiller is a nice RB2 but not the RB1 many still seem to view him as...not much between the tackles and banking on the big plays....Miller can't beat out Daniel Thomas....but a nice 1-2 at the top...

think you may be getting way too much love for the WR crew.....Cobb is solid WR2....not a 1....probably a better player out of the slot but he may move outside.....Austin....who knows....again like Spiller I think we are viewing him differently than what he really is because of the speed....drafted as a WR2 here....hmmmmm.....gimic...?....seems we all think Stills is a lock for #2 role in NO.....again who knows.....and if Tate stays, you got Harvin, Baldwin, and Kearse....all emerging.....this group is shaky

Reed....looks solid but his dome could be an issue....

lots of "he should be's" on this roster....Spiller should be the man how can you not give him the ball a ton, Cobb should be a 1, Austin should be focal point, Stills should be the #2....

decent group but I ain't handed you the trophy just yet..... ;) :banned:

As the guy who passed on half of those guys and didn't want most of the rest, I hope Mr. I is dead wrong, lol.

lots of "he should be's" on this roster....Spiller should be the man how can you not give him the ball a ton, Cobb should be a 1, Austin should be focal point, Stills should be the #2....

decent group but I ain't handed you the trophy just yet..... ;) :banned:
This is my first WSL so my opinion is probably worth what we pay to join these leagues. But it seems to me since it's so early on that, once you get past the studs like Charles and the consistent performers like Brady, probably half of everybody else left has question marks around them. Can he stay healthy? Will he get the ball more? Will other guys in line for snaps get signed / cut / traded / drafted? Etc., etc.

So at this point you almost have to take a "big picture" view. So I'm asking myself about each roster (a) what has to go right? and (b) how likely is it that most of what has to go right, does?

QB: Brady has to revert to career-before-2013 form (90% probable IMO)

RB: Spiller has to get RB1 touches *or* Miller has to distance himself from Thomas (I'd say a better-than-even chance of each, meaning a >75% chance of either)

WR: One of Cobb / Austin / Stills has to step up and put up WR1-type numbers and/or Tate has to sign elsewhere (agree w/Bass on this one) and become a #1 option (least likely on this list, but by no means unthinkable)

TE: Reed has to stay on the field *or* Cook has to better his '13 numbers (even if you'd say 2:1 against on each, that's still better than a 50/50 chance of either, and I'd go higher)

Individually, yeah, there's a decent amount of risk with quite a few of these guys, but collectively I don't think I've seen a roster more likely to make a deep push. Maybe there will be a few other candidates when the dust settles ...

I still have FUBAR as the favorite.

Cobb + depth = any WR drafted in the first round. I'd rather have Cobb + depth in this format over Bryant.

I've got to count Reed as a go at this point. Huge steal in the 5th. No more risky than Manning, Moreno, or any of the gazillion rookies you guys are drafting.

Charles = 2 RB on his own. Spiller will get his games and in this format Millar and some 3rd down back can cover his whiff games.

I like the Austin and Stills picks. Guys who can post huge numbers any given week. I'll take the guys who have been through a combine, draft, camp, seen the field, and shown flashes over Karim Jabba Dar Dar Leah who racked up stats against LAC12 defenses.

Certainly appreciate the discussion guys.

Frankly I like my team but wouldn't say it's better than some others right now and who knows what will actually happen?

But. The team is set up like I want it to be. more risk at receiver than I like but I'm a big Cobb fan and might be the biggest stills fan north of Louisiana. Don't see him as a 1, but he's a big play guy and has a top 3 qb throwing to him.

Certainly appreciate the discussion guys.

Frankly I like my team but wouldn't say it's better than some others right now and who knows what will actually happen?

But. The team is set up like I want it to be. more risk at receiver than I like but I'm a big Cobb fan and might be the biggest stills fan north of Louisiana. Don't see him as a 1, but he's a big play guy and has a top 3 qb throwing to him.
Stills went late in the other draft. I was torn on him and Williams. Assuming Austin is gone and given the Cowboy cap position and needs on defense, I have to assume that he's a shoe-in for the WR2. Stills is great in this format, but I felt Williams would be more consistant and Stills might make it back. Brees spreads the ball around so much. Ranking them in ppr you have Graham, Sporles/Thomas, Colston, before Stills comes into the picture. Even then they manage to trot out different guys every week.

Users who are viewing this thread