What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WWYD - Neighbor keeps dog in garage.... (1 Viewer)

WWYD?

• Ring bell, discuss with homeowner directly?

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Contact Animal Control?

Votes: 28 38.4%
  • Leave note?

Votes: 4 5.5%
  • Mind your business?

Votes: 29 39.7%
  • Other (may include Smooing)?

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Combination of above?

Votes: 4 5.5%

• Total voters
Silver & Black said:
I'd call animal control and let them look into it.  If it's NOT animal cruelty and the dog has access to the house or yard or whatever, great.  But if he doesn't, you'd be helping an animal in distress.  Mistreatment of animals is a real issue for me.  They don't have anyone to speak up for them when they are mistreated or abused etc.  You're not inquiring to be a jerk or to get the people in trouble, you're advocating for an animal in potential danger.  Call and let the authorities look into it.  If left in a steaming hot garage for hours at a time, that's cruel.  Just my two cents
This. Very easily.

Let me add that the owners may not realize that something they are doing isn't good for the dog. Call animal control and let them investigate. Best case, dog is fine, no issue. Maybe a little education is provided. Worst case, you help save an animal that can't save itself. Just because it's still alive doesn't mean it's not suffering potentially.

I wouldn't go talk to them. I don't need to talk to my neighbors about this.

I'd call Animal Control. Let them handle it.

Still don't know if there's a door going from garage to house, or even garage to outside, and it's just choosing to bark at passers-by from the crack in the garage door.   :shrug:

Still don't know if there's a door going from garage to house, or even garage to outside, and it's just choosing to bark at passers-by from the crack in the garage door.   :shrug:
This is why you call Animal Control. I'm assuming the OP doesn't know these people or their house lay out.

You let the pros deal with this. I pay taxes for this reason.

Let me add that the owners may not realize that something they are doing isn't good for the dog. Call animal control and let them investigate. Best case, dog is fine, no issue. Maybe a little education is provided. Worst case, you help save an animal that can't save itself. Just because it's still alive doesn't mean it's not suffering potentially.
Worst case, you have an owner that has an uncontrollable dog (either through lack of training or just a bad decision) who is not allowed inside the house and they decide #### it and take it to the pound where it ends up getting destroyed because no one else wants it either.

Weird. Growing up in CT with a normal attached garage, concrete floor, etc. it was always a shady haven for us to get out of the sun and drink some lemonade or something. It was cool and only had very little tree coverage on one side. It was insulated. Is it really common thought/knowledge that garages are hotter in the summer rather than cooler? Never even crossed my mind I guess. 

Easy to point out the problem, but if the dog is in the garage there is likely a damn good reason that will probably include the owner not wanting it in the house.

Is there anyone here that supports calling animal control that would also do so if the solution is the dog is taken in and destroyed?  Because that's a highly probable scenario here.

english please....
I have a doggy door to the garage for my Shi Tzus who I have never been able to house break.  I put puppy pads in the garage so they will go out there.  Also for my cat that is where the kitty litter is.

@gianmarco had the right idea.  Call animal control they will check on it and keep you out of it.  I know it is awful hot down here in Fl so I wouldn't keep my dogs in the garage.  I don't think it would get hot enough to harm them though especially if they had plenty of water.  But better safe than sorry.

Easy to point out the problem, but if the dog is in the garage there is likely a damn good reason that will probably include the owner not wanting it in the house.

Is there anyone here that supports calling animal control that would also do so if the solution is the dog is taken in and destroyed?  Because that's a highly probable scenario here.
Hate that animals are destroyed but I'd rather that than have an animal suffer its entire life.

This is a mind your business thing.

We have had our dog for almost 15 years now and have dealt with animal control and notes several times from neighbors who didn't know what was going on.

At our first house when the dog was under 5 years old we had to deal with animal control at least 5 times over multiple years. The cops would show up and tell us that animal control was contacted and they were going to take the dog away because we left it in the cold without shelter. Then we would have to have the cop come into our laundry room and show him the doggie door and call the dog and watch it come in and get all excited because someone new was here at 11 pm at night and calm her down so she didn't bark for half the night. The damn dog wanted to sleep in the snow. If it got cold it knew how to get inside.

The other thing the dog would do during the day when people came walking especially if they had a dog with them was to instantly run to the fence and jump on the fence trying to knock it over, or dig at the ground like she was trying to tunnel out of prison. Why? She just wanted to go play with the other dog.

The point is you don't know what the circumstances are, calling animal control is rude, leaving a note is obnoxious. Personally, I would rather they came and knocked on my door and explained themselves and just say "Hey, I am worried about your dog"

I wouldn't go talk to them. I don't need to talk to my neighbors about this.

I'd call Animal Control. Let them handle it.
this is what i did.  i am pretty level headed, but i don’t need a potential confrontation.  nobody wants anyone all up in their business and people tend to get hyper defensive.  it sucks to be anonymous, but, without this dog being able speak like mine can, i can’t take a chance he’s in some type of distress.  way too many “i should’ve done something” stories out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Weird. Growing up in CT with a normal attached garage, concrete floor, etc. it was always a shady haven for us to get out of the sun and drink some lemonade or something. It was cool and only had very little tree coverage on one side. It was insulated. Is it really common thought/knowledge that garages are hotter in the summer rather than cooler? Never even crossed my mind I guess. 
i think garages in general are not insulated, so they get hyper cold and hot.  i am 99% certain mine is not insulated.  today, my garage registered 96 degrees.  also, unless your garage is pristine, there may be other hazardous crap in there, not to mention lizards, spiders, etc.

You sat in your garage with the door closed to drink lemonade?  That's just odd.

this is what i did.  i am pretty level headed, but i don’t need a potential confrontation.  nobody wants anyone all up in their business and people tend to get hyper defensive.  it sucks to be anonymous, but, without this dog being able speak like mine can, i can’t take a chance he’s in some type of distress.  way too many “i should’ve done something” stories out there.
Yup. I don't see how that conversation ends up well.

Hopefully it all turns out well, I don't know what else you can do in this situation.

Will you feel bad when the kids lose their pet?

modogg said:
lol, weird. I am the only one that would ring the door and talk to the neighbor? thought that would be the most common thing.
In a perfect world yes, but in real life this rarely solves the problem.  At least with my experiences.  No matter how polite you are you're still calling out someone you don't know about how to raise their pets.  I knocked on my neighbors door about 10 years ago just to remind him that he has 3 dogs that never go inside and bark all day and night.  I got the GFY reply and that he's glad they're barking cause that means they're happy.  It about came to blows 3 - 4 times over the next 2 year with the guy before I decided it it was time to move.  Guy was a major Richard to everyone though.  

I'd call animal control anon.  

Chemical X said:
So, there is a house in my neighborhood that I regularly pass on dog and human walks, where they apparently are keeping their dog in the garage for periods.  Not sure how long the frequency is, but you can tell the dog is in there, the garage door is cracked slightly.  You can here him bark when you walk by and, even sadder, you can sometimes see his snout or paw sticking out of the door crack.  Garage appears unairconditioned.  Summers down here have been hot and humid and my temperature regularly reads 95+ in the garage.  I don't know if this is when no one is home or when people are at home, but almost everytime I walk by the house, night or day, I can hear the dog in the garage.

I know their are dog lovers here, so John Quinones, WWYD?
How does a garage appear unair-conditiined?   I have had garages which I heated and provided air-conditioning to.   Not sure how any walker-byer could possibly tell.  

i think garages in general are not insulated, so they get hyper cold and hot.  i am 99% certain mine is not insulated.  today, my garage registered 96 degrees.  also, unless your garage is pristine, there may be other hazardous crap in there, not to mention lizards, spiders, etc.
I have built hundreds of homes.  Insulated every one of them. 

How does a garage appear unair-conditiined?   I have had garages which I heated and provided air-conditioning to.   Not sure how any walker-byer could possibly tell.  
I don't think very many people run AC into their garage.

If they do, they probably wouldn't leave a gap in the door.

I have built hundreds of homes.  Insulated every one of them. 
But regardless they get pretty hot inside during the summer, right?  Mine sure does.

well, in all 3 of my homes, new construction, none of them had HVAC ducts in the garage.  houses had central a/c and either baseboard or forced air heating, but the garages were neither heated nor air conditioned.  if one wanted to do so in my current neighborhood, it would have to be after market, likely using the European type of exterior compressor and mounted a/c-heater combo.  1 or 2 houses here have a window a/c unit that you can see.  but i can tell you, i have never seen a house with centrally controlled HVAC.  that's just me.

I don't think very many people run AC into their garage.

If they do, they probably wouldn't leave a gap in the door.

But regardless they get pretty hot inside during the summer, right?  Mine sure does.
the standard here for insulation of garages is any interior wall must be insulated, but my garage has about 2 1/2 walls that are exterior (including garage door) and these are not insulated, just sheetrock on studs.  in fact, only about 50% of the houses here are even 'finished' or sheetrocked.  many are just plywood and studs exposed.  of course plywood and studs can be done for exterior walls only, since they don't require insulation.

Last edited by a moderator:
They still get hot if not shaded and the garage door is closed all day.
Define hot.  It is not like a car which will heat up due to all the windows.  I would guess a garage would be in the 80's on a 95 degree day. 

Define hot.  It is not like a car which will heat up due to all the windows.  I would guess a garage would be in the 80's on a 95 degree day. 
other way around, garage is hotter than outside.  mine is generally 10 degrees hotter than outside.  so 90 here, 100 in the garage.

Did Chem X say where he's located?

Here in FL, most garages are not insulated and are not air conditioned.
Same here in MS.  My garage is much hotter than the outside temp when its shut.  I doubt its insulated, and no garage around here has HVAC pumped into it.  

A dog in a garage here would likely be a dead dog, at the very least it would be miserable.  I'm sure cracking the door helps the air circulate, but its still cruel. 

I think you did the right thing.

i would even consider leaving my number with animal control and tell them if the owner says it’s between the garage or giving the dog to the pound, I’ll take the dog.

i never had AC growing up.  not at home, at school, not even the car.   90+ from mid july thru september, with multiple weeks over 100.  we all made it.  the pets did too.  amazing.
If I follow your logic correctly, if you saw a baby in a car today in 95 degree weather with just a cracked window, you wouldn't say anything because you survived something similar when you were a child?  Does the fact that you and your pets survived make it ok to be cruel to children or pets today?  I realize you're not saying that and I threw in the part about the human baby for dramatic effect, but if you extrapolate your logic, it seems pretty close. 

And just to touch on something stated above, if calling animal control leads to the dog going to a pound and eventually being euthanized, well, that would certainly suck.  It would be tragic and most unfortunate.  But that doesn't change the fact that it was the right thing to do to call.  That would obviously be an unintended, horrible result.  That doesn't make calling animal control the wrong thing to do. 

If I follow your logic correctly, if you saw a baby in a car today in 95 degree weather with just a cracked window, you wouldn't say anything because you survived something similar when you were a child?  Does the fact that you and your pets survived make it ok to be cruel to children or pets today?  I realize you're not saying that and I threw in the part about the human baby for dramatic effect, but if you extrapolate your logic, it seems pretty close. 

And just to touch on something stated above, if calling animal control leads to the dog going to a pound and eventually being euthanized, well, that would certainly suck.  It would be tragic and most unfortunate.  But that doesn't change the fact that it was the right thing to do to call.  That would obviously be an unintended, horrible result.  That doesn't make calling animal control the wrong thing to do. 
you are not following my logic correctly.

i never had AC growing up.  not at home, at school, not even the car.   90+ from mid july thru september, with multiple weeks over 100.  we all made it.  the pets did too.  amazing.
both my parents smoked in the car and the house, heck everywhere I was growing up, but I did not contract second hand smoke cancer.  I survived.  amazing.  also rode a bike without a helmet, still here.  doesn't necessarily mean these things are acceptable nowadays.  I understand not everyone has or had a/c and many have pets that survive the heat, but the difference between an insulated non a/c house and a non insulated garage may be 20 degrees?  85 to 105?  I have to look at the here and now, the house does have a/c and insulation, yet the dog is in a 100 degree garage.

Chemical X said:
both my parents smoked in the car and the house, heck everywhere I was growing up, but I did not contract second hand smoke cancer.  I survived.  amazing.  also rode a bike without a helmet, still here.  doesn't necessarily mean these things are acceptable nowadays.  I understand not everyone has or had a/c and many have pets that survive the heat, but the difference between an insulated non a/c house and a non insulated garage may be 20 degrees?  85 to 105?  I have to look at the here and now, the house does have a/c and insulation, yet the dog is in a 100 degree garage.
There is no way it is 100 degrees in the garage.  

Chemical X said:
me too!!  i used to ride on my dad's lap while he drove and got to steer the car.  window barely cracked, him hammering camel unfiltered one after the other, right by my head!  no seat belts of course!  i'm not advocating this sort of thing at all.  merely stating that it's ok to be a little hot.

my FIL lives in greensboro, NC. we visit nearly every summer.  he has a brick carport, that is, in every sense, a garage, but it doesn't have a door.  it's always cooler in there than 'outside'.  drank many a beer in there, rather than under the trees down by the lake.  which is 40 feet away.  because it was cooler.

here in socal, it's 84 outside and is 80 in my garage as we speak.  garage door faces east, so has 7 hours of sun baking on it.

:shrug:  

Users who are viewing this thread