What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What's Normal? - When you take your car in for service, do you remove the garage door opener? (1 Viewer)

When you take your car in for service, do you remove the garage door opener?

• Yes

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • No

Votes: 68 60.7%
  • I don't have a car/garage door opener

Votes: 34 30.4%

• Total voters
I don't. Drives my wife nuts. She thinks everyone is evil and going to steal it to get into our home.

Please don't tell me I'm the only trusting person on the planet using the built in homelink buttons on my mirrors?
I do... but my wife doesn't trust that "technology" in her car so she uses the one that comes with the opener

No
-detached garage
-navigation system does not have home address programmed in

I barely remember to remove the garage door opener when I SELL my car.
And nowadays, lots of cars have the garage door opener programmed without a separate remote, so what's the use?

It's built-in on all of our cars, and it's a PITA to reprogram, so no way. We also lock the door between our garage and our house and have multiple cameras, so you're only getting so far if you actually tried to do something.
Yep, homelink makes it's hugely painful to remove it and readd it each time. No thanks.

No
-detached garage
-navigation system does not have home address programmed in

I barely remember to remove the garage door opener when I SELL my car.
And nowadays, lots of cars have the garage door opener programmed without a separate remote, so what's the use?

Last vehicle I turned in had my garage door opener and my Ray-Ban sunglasses were in the door slot . Dealer called me a day later and said we have your garage door opener. I then said do you have my sunglasses too? Dealer said "What sunglasses?"

Don't have a garage so voted no. If I had one though I likely would not remove it now that I think about it.

Please don't tell me I'm the only trusting person on the planet using the built in homelink buttons on my mirrors?
I do... but my wife doesn't trust that "technology" in her car so she uses the one that comes with the opener
Crap, I completely forgot about this but when I take a vehicle in for extended service and I'm given a loaner, I do take the garage door opener out but it's only because I don't want to get out of the vehicle and use the keypad so I voted yes.

As teenagers, my twin brother and I worked at a local car wash in Grand Rapids (with a lot of other teenagers ..cheap labor). Amazing how many customers would come through with a bunch of spare change on a tray by the front seats. Not a good idea when teenagers are moving your car onto the line and hopping inside afterwards to drive it off and wipe the inside windows.

In that part of town, a number of customers would also have the butts of smoked joints in the ashtrays that we emptied. We’d all collect those butts and give them to the pot smokers, who would get enough weed from those butts to roll a couple of new joints. Ah, the 70s.

Coincidentally, a lot of cops would come to run their cop cars through for a wash. We’d always have new workers go in to clean the back windows ..and close the door behind them. The cops would come out to find some sheepish 16 year old sitting in the back seat.

Probably a good idea to remove it.

Also, a similar thread idea:

"What's normal - Do you remove your "Home" address from your car's GPS when parking at an airport long term parking?"

"What's normal - Do you remove your "Home" address from your car's GPS when parking at an airport long term parking?"
Good one. FWIW... I set my home address to the elementary school up the street in GPS apps. I can (usually) find my way home from there.

So, when i was in college down in San Diego, I would drive to ensenada and rosa rita. On one trip to ensenda i was pulled over in a small town and detained for running a stop sign (hidden behind a very wide palm tree). they searched my car and let us go after a few hours... took sun glasses, tapes, and few other little things. I am generally pretty trusting, but that lingers in the back of my mind.

when i bring my car in for more than a day, i grab some essentials (charging cords, sun glasses, etc) but not out of fear of theft.

I have nothing good to take from my house. Mostly, I'd be thankful if someone took some of this stuff off my hands.

Good one. FWIW... I set my home address to the elementary school up the street in GPS apps. I can (usually) find my way home from there.
I use my neighbors address for my home address….. not really but a nearby landmark.

You can find my address on the invoice from the cars I purchased or I'm sure in the white pages online or whatever.....not worried about it. I'm sure if I had your name I could find an address for you

Eta: don't have a separate opener

Do have a monitored burglar alarm 🚨. So shrug

4 vehicles, 2 don’t have a garage door opener in them and they don’t ever go in the garage. These are driven by my kids.
The mini van has the buttons and I don’t reprogram. The RAV4 has the opener and I’ve never thought about removing it. If I trust my mechanic with my vehicle I’m trusting him not to break into my house.

We’ve left the house key on the key chain when we drop it off before 🤷

navigation system does not have home address programmed in
It’s really easy to find a person’s address when you have their name, credit card information, and license number.
At least around here if you own the home.

Yes. I take my charging cables and anything else of value. I leave tissue in the middle console to discourage nosy fingers and can tell if somebody has been rummaging around where they shouldn't be. I keep a very tidy car so its easy to tell.

I do almost all my own vehicle maintenance and really the only time I take a car to a shop is my work vehicle that I couldn't care less about.

No, but I DO take my house key off the key ring. Makes no sense to leave one and not the other, but I do it anyway.

No garage and all my cars are over 20 years old, so I have no idea what most of you are talking about right now.

I do my own routine maintenance, but if I do end up at a mechanic for a repair, I take my metal key (remember those?) off of my key ring and hand it to the mechanic.

I have a regular mechanic whom I totally trust, so I voted no.

If I were to drop it off at a random valvoline or whatever with some fresh out of college kids, probably.

Users who are viewing this thread