What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Yankees/Tigers ALDS Thread (2 Viewers)

Who wins?

• Yankees

Votes: 17 31.5%
  • Tigers

Votes: 37 68.5%

• Total voters
Yankees do not have the starting pitching to win the WS, the Tigers do. The Yankees would have been despartly short on arms in the next series.

I'm not as upset this year as I am in other years when the Yanks get knocked out. Even though they won the division, you can find posts in the Yankee thread going back to May... June... July where I said this team just didn't have the "feel" of a championship team to me, and I could never really put my finger on exactly why that was.
Congrats on the Division championship. See you and the $220+ million in April. :thumbup:

I'm not as upset this year as I am in other years when the Yanks get knocked out. Even though they won the division, you can find posts in the Yankee thread going back to May... June... July where I said this team just didn't have the "feel" of a championship team to me, and I could never really put my finger on exactly why that was.
Congrats on the Division championship. See you and the $220+ million in April. :thumbup:
I understand your bitterness, and will therefore not lash out at you.

Yeah, that was a dumb comment. It was a great series and the Tigers were fortunate the Yankees left so many on base. One clutch hit and the series goes the other way.

Congrats to the Tigers fans. Well deserved.

On a sad note, this was probably Posada's last game as a Yankee. Really hope he retires. Don't need to see him DH'ing for the Royals or something.

I don't know how old the rest of you are, but I go WAY back to when A-Rod wasn't a complete embarrassment at the plate.

I'm not as upset this year as I am in other years when the Yanks get knocked out. Even though they won the division, you can find posts in the Yankee thread going back to May... June... July where I said this team just didn't have the "feel" of a championship team to me, and I could never really put my finger on exactly why that was. It's obvious the starting pitching was lacking, but I guess I was holding out hope that we could outscore everyone. This team needs a serious infusion of youth and capable arms in the rotation.
Hello C.J. Wilson for 6 years 126mill.CC?WilsonNovaBurnettMontero for an arm?

Texas is playing the best baseball of anyone. It will be up to Verlander-Fister-Scherzer to cool them off. Detroit will get their runs.
Ok, out on a limb here, but the old man knows what he is doing. he has JV ready for game 1. if he loses in NY, he loses. If he wins in NY with JV unable to pitch against Texas in game 1, we probably lose the series. So lose now vs lose later. And depend on them that brung you, Benoit and Papa and see how the chips fall.Now, we have JV game one and game 4/5. Come get some texas.Lets do this.peace
Here is hell freezing over for Apple Juice. Leyland made a great call keeping Verlander chained tonight. He made an even better call switching Fister and Scherzer in the regular season. Ya, I understand Scherzer pitched tonight anyway but he has relief experiance. The Marlboro Man has been patient in the series but also wasn't afraid to play the hot hand in Don Kelly and Santiago both made tremendous plays offensively and defensively. My buddies were clamoring about his pull of Fister and him keeping Benoit in, both moves I agreed whole heartedly with. He played a real cool hand this series, no doubt.
:thumbup: Leyland handled this series masterfully IMO, and game five in particular, but the reason I like him is because of how much he truly cares and loves his players and how much they love him. I've always been a Leyland fanboy and that plays into me defending him. When he got choked up talking about DK I did a little bit too. I love this team and this series win was phenomenal and emotional for me. Fister and Benoit were the most responsible for this win, but I'm the most proud of Scherzer. I've been worried about him all year and concerned about him facing this line-up, and his performance in game two and tonight saved this team. The Tigers did not have a bridge to Benoit. I like Coke, but I don't have any faith he would have gotten it done tonight. Not in those circumstances. None of our other relievers would have had a prayer in this game. Scherzer came into a tough, tough spot and got huge outs. His strikeout of Gardner after falling down 3-0 was ####### HUGE. Go Tigers! God bless you boys!

I'm not as upset this year as I am in other years when the Yanks get knocked out.
It's because technically these aren't even the playoffs. They ruined the sport with the wildcard and interleague play. They'll at least be a wildcard in 28 of 30 years with the spending inequality. The whole thing is a joke now. Yankee stadium is dead now because credit card company execs and their wives are in those seats. Anyway, #### the yankees.

I'm not as upset this year as I am in other years when the Yanks get knocked out.
It's because technically these aren't even the playoffs. They ruined the sport with the wildcard and interleague play. They'll at least be a wildcard in 28 of 30 years with the spending inequality. The whole thing is a joke now. Yankee stadium is dead now because credit card company execs and their wives are in those seats. Anyway, #### the yankees.
If only the Yankees would stop breaking the rules!

Winner, winner chicken dinner. Sorry to all the good Yankee fans (especially TU), lots of expectations.Now for Smack tripper...Can I get an update on the Tigers playing their last home game and the only thing we need to worry about now is Lions football? I'd bump your idiot posts if I had the time but I'm going to celebrate. Good luck counting how many Yankees fans stick around for the ALCS home games you jackass. :bye:Goggins>how bout them Yankees!
:lol: oh well. You got me. Go rangers.I was,'fairly I might add, upset with the cc strike zone game but fhe bottom line is, the ya is had fister at home in one game playoff and couldn't finish the job. Aj showing up in game 4 makes this series loss easier to take. It looked close coming in and it was and Detroit won the deciding game convincingly without controversy. I was wrong and I congratulate the tigers. I won't tonight and I think the loss of young will be killer unfortunately but Texas is such a loathsome team that I almost could have seen myself rooting tigers. Almost. As for now I'll say go brewers and my hats off to that tiger team. They play baseball the Right way.

Got news for you, hoss. The "everyday fans" were never in those seats even in the old place. And I can assure you, my row was shaking at several points tonight up in 420A of the grandstand. Electric atmosphere for most of the night. Just couldn't get the big hit when we needed it.Tigers just flat out beat us, not too difficult to see why. They pitched better, they got big hits, that's pretty much all you need to know. If someone would have told you that Justin Verlander would give up 5 ER in 8 IP for the series and that Miggy Cabrera would be held almost completely in check, you'd have to feel pretty good about it. The fact that Detroit took it to us without much of a contribution from one of the best hitters of all-time says a lot about their team makeup.

Gonna be a long but interesting offseason. I see the ridiculousness has already started with people suggesting the Yanks will make a play for Pujols or throw $126 million at C.J. Wilson. Neither of those has a snowball's chance in hell at happening. None.

Interesting that all we ever hear about is the big, bad AL East and yet here we are little less than a week into the playoffs and the entire division's representation is gone. I'll be pulling for Texas in the ALCS only because Hamilton is my favorite non-Yankee player in the league but congrats to the Tiger fans in here and good luck the rest of the way. :thumbup:

Got news for you, hoss. The "everyday fans" were never in those seats even in the old place.
That's a load of ####. We'll get Yandek to set up the interviews if you want but the PSAs forced (I don't want to say hundreds) a lot (thousands) of families out of those seats. Generations of fans. Great to hear that your row was rocking. #### your row. #### the Yankees. It should be a national holiday when this team gets knocked out of the pre-playoffs. Congrats on losing in the round that everyone knew you'd make it to. Don't worry, even more teams will make the playoffs very soon and with that will come even more money for you to spend on guys that'll collapse under the pressure of round pre-alcs semi-2.

If only the Yankees would stop breaking the rules!
Shame on you as a sports fan for this post btw, shame on you. Wait a sec, how can you be a Yankee and raider fan in RI? You're born and raised in RI, no?

Show me one chick with blow dried hair and high end clothes in the Reggie Jackson 3hr 1977 curtain call photo/vid. There wasn't one. All fans. It's just execs now. Even your upper deck row was giveaways. I was at opening day in '94. Joe D threw out the first pitch. Donnie Baseball got a standing O as he warmed up for coming back one more year. How many people in the lower bowl tonight were at that game? How many people in the lower bowl tonight WATCHED that game? What percentage of people in the lower section tonight know who Jeff Nelson is?

from ELIAS: Alex Rodriguez- 1st player in MLB history to strike out for his team's final out in 2 straight postseasons.
I think ARod has lost confidence. He was hoping to get walked. The Yankees do a great job of making pitchers throw strikes and working the count, but when you are given the good pitches you have to be ready to take advantage. ARod was not.

One play that did not get a lot of attention, but probably saved the game was Jackson keeping ARod from scoring on Posada's single. Jackson charged the line shot at full speed, fielded the ball on a short hop, and came up firing. Despite ARod's speed and great jump, the third base coach had to put up the stop sign. A pop up and a strike out later, the inning was over with no runs scored.

I won't tonight and I think the loss of young will be killer unfortunately but Texas is such a loathsome team that I almost could have seen myself rooting tigers. Almost. As for now I'll say go brewers and my hats off to that tiger team. They play baseball the Right way.
Ok, I'll bite. Can you unpack this?

I won't tonight and I think the loss of young will be killer unfortunately but Texas is such a loathsome team that I almost could have seen myself rooting tigers. Almost. As for now I'll say go brewers and my hats off to that tiger team. They play baseball the Right way.
Nolan Ryan and George Bush. Fans falling to their death.

Bankrupt team adding payroll last year.

The claw.

Knocked out the Yankees last year.

I am bitter.

Got news for you, hoss. The "everyday fans" were never in those seats even in the old place.
That's a load of ####. We'll get Yandek to set up the interviews if you want but the PSAs forced

(I don't want to say hundreds) a lot (thousands) of families out of those seats. Generations of fans. Great to hear that your row was rocking. #### your row. #### the Yankees. It should be a national holiday when this team gets knocked out of the pre-playoffs. Congrats on losing in the round that everyone knew you'd make it to. Don't worry, even more teams will make the playoffs very soon and with that will come even more money for you to spend on guys that'll collapse under the pressure of round pre-alcs semi-2.
Well since the Yankees didn't do PSLs, I guess I can stop reading after the bolded.

Last edited by a moderator:

The claw.

I am bitter.
:lmao: Awesome. Thanks.

'Disco Stu said:
'Smack Tripper said:
'Disco Stu said:
'Smack Tripper said:

The claw.

I am bitter.
:lmao: Awesome. Thanks.
My phone wallpaper is still the picture of A-Rod, head down bat in hand, walking back to the dugout, while in the background you see the Rangers dogpile.

'Hoart Petterson said:
Show me one chick with blow dried hair and high end clothes in the Reggie Jackson 3hr 1977 curtain call photo/vid. There wasn't one. All fans. It's just execs now. Even your upper deck row was giveaways. I was at opening day in '94. Joe D threw out the first pitch. Donnie Baseball got a standing O as he warmed up for coming back one more year. How many people in the lower bowl tonight were at that game? How many people in the lower bowl tonight WATCHED that game? What percentage of people in the lower section tonight know who Jeff Nelson is?
And for the billionth time on this board, my seats were $25/ticket in the old stadium. When they moved to the new stadium, my seats are in the exact same location (upper deck behind home plate, one section to the first base side). And do you wanna know what those greedy bastards raised my ticket prices to? Oh wait, they didn't raise them at all. It's still $25/seat. Well that's weird, cause I thought there were no affordable tickets in Yankee Stadium. Surely there must be an obstruction somewhere. Wait no, I can see the entire field. Well that's just strange. :rolleyes: ETA: My playoff tickets for the ALDS were a WHOPPING $36 per ticket. THE HORROR!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to see the Tigers get a couple of votes in this poll after the series was over. Way to go out on a limb fellas!

Yankee fans...

You guys don't want CJ. Trust me on that. I can't imagine him wanting the Yankees either, though his agent will likely use them to drive up the price.

CJ is a California guy and a bit of an odd duck. He doesn't fit in real well in Texas but would be a total fish out of water in NY. If the Rangers lose him, it will be to the west coast IMO.

I just called into "The Hugh Show" and had to pump some optimism back into the Tigers fans hearts. I understand being a little worried. It's an elimination game at Yankee Stadium, after all, but I had to make these two points. The Tigers haven't lost two straight in over a month and they haven't lost two straight to the Yankees in over a year so have some faith Detroit fans!
:D Maybe the Tigers had that radio show on in the clubhouse and I gave them the hope they needed to get it done! Well, it was a fun thought!

Anyone watching YES? How dumb is Fatty Francesa???

A guy calls up and says "Hey Mike, HOW BAD is this guy Al Alburquerque."

Mike says "who is Al Alburquerque?" ... then figures he's getting pranked and says "Don't say Al Alburquerque ... the joke is AL-burquerque. Sheesh. I have children calling my show!"

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

What a moron.
:lmao: :lmao:
This one didn't get by Phil Mushnick either.

Mike Francesa's Master of the Universe Complex has become too profound to any longer be regarded as funny. He's becoming sad, pathetic. And unless he gets hold of himself -- as unlikely as that is -- he'll remain a clear and present danger to himself, the last to take him seriously.

Francesa, still the top sports radio listen here -- aided in large part by a lack of competition -- has sustained and confused his popularity, unaware that car wrecks draw crowds.

Two weeks ago, there was that brazenly dishonest Al Alburquerque episode, transparent to all except Francesa. Although he presents himself as a baseball expert, he'd never heard of the Tigers' third-year reliever -- who just had pitched against the Yankees in the ALDS -- thus, when a caller brought up Alburquerque's name, Francesa slam-dunked the phone, as if a prank caller had slipped through.

Later, after learning off-air Al Alburquerque is for real, he might have apologized to that caller and admitted his mistake. Instead, he lied his way in deeper, claiming he knows Alburquerque as Alberto Jose Alburquerque, likely meaning Francesa and Alburquerque's mother are the only two. :lmao: :lmao:

Last week, same thing. Although he regards himself as an unparalleled NFL expert, a widely reported story escaped him: Dolphins wide receiver Brandon Marshall, extremely talented but just as troubled -- his presence and participation in felonious street crime and domestic violence has been steady -- months ago was clinically diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder.

Although such diagnoses often lead to cynicism (Don't we all have such lines that we border?), that's not the point. The professional diagnosis was BPD.

So when Marshall, with tonight's Dolphins-Jets game on his fragile mind, spewed delusional inanities, both his words and disorder made more news. Except Francesa, the condescending, conceited, big-talking expert on all matters was the last to know.

Thus, when a caller matter-of-factly stated that Marshall has BPD, Francesa stopped him cold, belittled him, hollered at him, indignantly demanded to know -- without allowing the caller to answer -- if he's a psychiatrist, if he examined Marshall, if he has any idea what he's talking about. And then, bully that he is, Francesa slam-dunked the phone.

Minutes later, clearly having been informed off-air that Marshall in fact has been clinically declared to have BPD, Francesa returned to the issue -- not to apologize to that abused, ridiculed and bullied caller, nor to admit his error -- but to again perform his transparent liar's dance, the Megalomaniac's Waltz, as if he, of course, was well aware of Marshall's BPD (Who isn't?), but regards that as no excuse for Marshall's antisocial behavior.

But what of Francesa's now ceaseless antisocial behavior? The Emperor's same old new clothes. For his sake, before whatever corpuscle of credibility he may still have is destroyed from the inside, out, it's time for a new wardrobe.

Users who are viewing this thread