What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Yet another Pitt Bull attack (2 Viewers)

Again this hysteria is so completely and insanely irrational you have to laugh at it.

I have no problem acknowledging that pit bulls are particularly dangerous mostly because when they attack they grab and shake (although the whole lock jaw thing is a myth, their bite strength isn't appreciably stronger than many other dog breeds) but my goodness we're talking about an average of about 20 deaths per year, not insignificant if you know one of the 20 but come on there is no way that those kind of numbers justify the degree of hysteria demonstrated in this thread.
Boa Constrictors have killed 12 people in the US since 1990, and there is a push to ban them as pets. Some states have laws against keeping poisonous snakes as pets and they have accounted for fewer deaths in 30 years than Pitts in the last 3. So, yes, there is justification for the call to ban the breeding and sale of Pitts.
The push to ban boa constrictors is entirely based upon a desire to preserve the Everglades not by a desire to save 0.48 people a year. Framing it that way is disingenuous. Boas are a true threat to the wetlands because there is an abundant food supply and virtually zero ability to control their population. The concern is that they could destroy the entire wetlands ecosystem within a couple decades.

I expected another violent Corgi attack when I started reading, but nope there it is, surprisingly a pitbull attack.
It was just a bad owner. A golden retriever bites too and they are also known to hold on for a kill while getting beaten with bricks and poles as well as getting stabbed. Let's not blame the breed.
:lol: :lol: :lol: You CAN blame the breed, you can also blame any idiot that owns one. Super irresponsible to own one of these child-killing weapons.
Do you apply that logic to all child killing weapons? Because, y'know...guns.
Wow, you can't fault THAT logic.
No, you cannot.
One time I left the gate to our yard open and my 12 gauge ran through the neighborhood, scaring children before viciously gunning down several smaller pets, and one lady trying to save her cat. Was truly terrible.
In 2013 194 children between 1-14 were victims of homicide by firearm. In 2013 32 people (of any age) were killed by all dog dog breeds combined.

Yeah it's close.
So the guns killed people without any direct human interactions? Then that is exactly the same, I apologize for doubting you. Here I thought it was apples to oranges... when it is so obviously the exact same situation. Just terrible behavioral training when that gun was growing up.
Sweet, so let's ban all humans. Problem solved, right?

With guns we have banned certain breeds judged just too dangerous for average folks to own.
Hogwash. Every concession by the gun-toting NRA nuts is a calculated move to keep the most guns in the hands of the most people.
So we have not banned machine guns, howitzers, and 16 inch guns recovered from battleships being in the hands of you and me? Perhaps hogwash means something different where you live and I am just misunderstanding you.

BTW, you could just ignore my post. It does not really have a point, sort of like much of the rest of the discussion which has gone on in here. Certainly I have better things to do than to spend time defending a one-liner directed at poking holes in an initially silly position

With guns we have banned certain breeds judged just too dangerous for average folks to own.
Hogwash. Every concession by the gun-toting NRA nuts is a calculated move to keep the most guns in the hands of the most people.
You are miserably uninformed, and your arguments are foolish.
No, I am completely well informed and entirely accurate. I am not going to re-post here everything I posted in the gun control thread because, just like in there, the rootin', tootin', gun-totin' NRA nut-jobs will ignore them. Just like they ignore the fact that pit-bull hysteria is nothing more than reactionary and irrational.

So we have not banned machine guns, howitzers, and 16 inch guns recovered from battleships being in the hands of you and me? Perhaps hogwash means something different where you live and I am just misunderstanding you.

BTW, you could just ignore my post. It does not really have a point, sort of like much of the rest of the discussion which has gone on in here. Certainly I have better things to do than to spend time defending a one-liner directed at poking holes in an initially silly position
:lmao: howitzers :lmao:

Way to make a meaningful and deeply impactful concession NRA. You're doing the Lord's work.

A good friend of mine bought a pit bull years ago. She swore up and down how gentle and loving the dog was. She'd never hurt anyone, blah blah blah. One night at a family gathering she turned up the radio a little too loud and the dog suddenly snapped and started attacking her other dog. The fight only lasted about 20 seconds until she was able to separate the dogs. And in that 20 seconds the other dog (a large Akita) was almost mortally wounded and my friend almost had her hand bitten off. The pit bull bit straight through her hand and broke the bone.

My son was born a few months later and to this day (15 years later) I have never gone back to her house. Her insane need to have THAT dog basically ended our friendship. The breed should be banned. They're too unpredictable and too lethal.

Last edited:

Way to make a meaningful and deeply impactful concession NRA. You're doing the Lord's work.
And yet you are unwilling to make an analogous concession to the ones made by the group you find wholly unreasonable. See, this tact is maybe one you ought to abandon. its not really working out for you as a debating point. I was enjoying some of your other positions, maybe you can concentrate on them again.

Been trying to stay out of this thread as I realize this is one of those arguments where you don't change peoples minds (politics, religion, sports, and pit bulls). So I'll just say that i think it's sad that a breed once considered to be a loving, loyal, calm, family pet has been manipulated to the point it is today. Whether or not you believe that manipulation to be myth from a media induced hysteria or actual fact from irresponsible breeding, it's just disappointing knowing where the breed was barely 100 years ago and where it is now. I hope the outcome from the current day focus on the breed is a return to normalcy for it, their owners, and the general public

I had a rotty/lab mutt I got from the Shelter while in college. One night while at an apartment block party this girl, who lived a few apartments down, and looked like she was about 100 lbs soaking wet, is walking around drunk off her ###, and has her pitbull out on a leash, was a thick leather strap with a choke collar on the side. The door to our apartment is open and my dog is laying in the middle of my living room. She walks up to talk to my now wife, and is standing in the doorway when her dog lunges at my dog, she clearly can't hold it and her dog comes flying into my apartment and goes after my dog. My dog jumps up and a full on dog fight starts in my living room. They bounced off each other a few times and I saw a chance and I kicked that pitbull as hard as I could in the ribs/side. I swear it felt like I kicked a brick, that dog was fcking solid. It got up and turned at me, but then my dog jumped on it again, this time was ontop of the pitbull. I saw the leash and grabbed it and jerked the pitbull away and out my door and then slammed the door behind me. My apartment living room carpet had quite a bit of blood, and turns out my dog got a hold of part of the pitbull's ear at some point.

The entire time this drunken girl is in the doorway yelling, "don't hurt my dog, she's just playing, she's just playing!" We called the apartment landlord to report the attack, and she had me call the police and file a report. Then the landlord told the girl she had to get rid of the dog. She chose to leave the apartment and keep the dog. I hope nothing ever happened to anyone from that dog down the line.

I was in serious awe at just how strong that dog felt when I kicked it, it was clearly a powerful dog and she was 100% incapable of controlling it. My dog wasn't small, ~80 lbs, but I doubt it would have stood a chance had I not intervened, and it was 100% unprovoked. Not going to lie, after I kicked it and it turned to face me, I got a little nervous. I didn't know what I was going to do if it turned on me, I was thinking maybe if I kick it again in the head I'll have a chance to grab a knife from the kitchen, luckily my dog came flying back into the picture.

And yet you are unwilling to make an analogous concession to the ones made by the group you find wholly unreasonable. See, this tact is maybe one you ought to abandon. its not really working out for you as a debating point. I was enjoying some of your other positions, maybe you can concentrate on them again.
Because pit-bulls kill in one year less than what a howitzer kills with one shot. Yup totally analogous. Good stuff.

I have a big fenced in back yard. Fence was left there previously by the old owner. Ugly chain link fence, but I like it so no one comes into the yard. All that aside, I am moving my g/f and her three daughters into my house in a few weeks. She has a small mutt (20lbs). We had it over last weekend to check his new home out. The neighbors next to me (early 20's, couple) have a pit. it was out last weekend along with my g/f's dog. They would chase each other up and down the property line, each on his own side of the fence. I told the neighbor we won't have any problems with it if it stays that way, but that pit better not now, or in the future, jump that fence, because if it does, our dog is dead. He assured me it wouldn't. He spoke of the dog as saying it's a nice animal, and just wants to play, but it is over-powering. And that's what scares me. The dog gets close to our mutt and decides to "play" with it, might be too rough and kill our dog. On top of that, we have to be wary of the dog for our OWN safety. I have seen it without a leash at times.

I feel like I'm living in prison, at my own house. That shouldn't be.

We are very leary because one of the g/f's nieces was almost killed by this breed about 5 years ago (she was about 7 at the time). She had to be life flighted because of the unprovoked pit attack.

I have a big fenced in back yard. Fence was left there previously by the old owner. Ugly chain link fence, but I like it so no one comes into the yard. All that aside, I am moving my g/f and her three daughters into my house in a few weeks. She has a small mutt (20lbs). We had it over last weekend to check his new home out. The neighbors next to me (early 20's, couple) have a pit. it was out last weekend along with my g/f's dog. They would chase each other up and down the property line, each on his own side of the fence. I told the neighbor we won't have any problems with it if it stays that way, but that pit better not now, or in the future, jump that fence, because if it does, our dog is dead. He assured me it wouldn't. He spoke of the dog as saying it's a nice animal, and just wants to play, but it is over-powering. And that's what scares me. The dog gets close to our mutt and decides to "play" with it, might be too rough and kill our dog. On top of that, we have to be wary of the dog for our OWN safety. I have seen it without a leash at times.

We are very leary because one of the g/f's nieces was almost killed by this breed about 5 years ago (she was about 7 at the time). She had to be life flighted because of the unprovoked pit attack.
you and pollardvision seriously need to upgrade your fences

I had a rotty/lab mutt I got from the Shelter while in college. One night while at an apartment block party this girl, who lived a few apartments down, and looked like she was about 100 lbs soaking wet, is walking around drunk off her ###, and has her pitbull out on a leash, was a thick leather strap with a choke collar on the side. The door to our apartment is open and my dog is laying in the middle of my living room. She walks up to talk to my now wife, and is standing in the doorway when her dog lunges at my dog, she clearly can't hold it and her dog comes flying into my apartment and goes after my dog. My dog jumps up and a full on dog fight starts in my living room. They bounced off each other a few times and I saw a chance and I kicked that pitbull as hard as I could in the ribs/side. I swear it felt like I kicked a brick, that dog was fcking solid. It got up and turned at me, but then my dog jumped on it again, this time was ontop of the pitbull. I saw the leash and grabbed it and jerked the pitbull away and out my door and then slammed the door behind me. My apartment living room carpet had quite a bit of blood, and turns out my dog got a hold of part of the pitbull's ear at some point.

The entire time this drunken girl is in the doorway yelling, "don't hurt my dog, she's just playing, she's just playing!" We called the apartment landlord to report the attack, and she had me call the police and file a report. Then the landlord told the girl she had to get rid of the dog. She chose to leave the apartment and keep the dog. I hope nothing ever happened to anyone from that dog down the line.

I was in serious awe at just how strong that dog felt when I kicked it, it was clearly a powerful dog and she was 100% incapable of controlling it. My dog wasn't small, ~80 lbs, but I doubt it would have stood a chance had I not intervened, and it was 100% unprovoked. Not going to lie, after I kicked it and it turned to face me, I got a little nervous. I didn't know what I was going to do if it turned on me, I was thinking maybe if I kick it again in the head I'll have a chance to grab a knife from the kitchen, luckily my dog came flying back into the picture.
Oh come on... You, your dog, the walls in your place and clearly the carpet were instigating that sweet, innocent Pit. You should be ashamed of yourself for irresponsibly telling this tale of woe clearly designed to add fuel to the most unjust of fires.

:lmao:

Because pit-bulls kill in one year less than what a howitzer kills with one shot. Yup totally analogous. Good stuff.
It was your original analogy, not mine. I was just pointing out how foolish your analogy was, and is, on one point. It is not an argument I affirmatively put forward initially or support in its entirety, I just noted the, to me, humorous contradiction . Maybe you could just concede that the one line of argumentation you sought to advance was inapropos on that one point. Or, you could choose to pursue the matter with a guy who really does not give a #### but is sort of enjoying seeing you dig in on the absurd.

Don't get why that's funny? I/we, have to be on the lookout for the stupid dog each and every time we are outside. We have two small girls and a small dog to watch out for. And seeing first hand the results of what a pit attack can do on a little girl, yeah, we are on edge. I think anyone in their right mind would be.

Don't get why that's funny? I/we, have to be on the lookout for the stupid dog each and every time we are outside. We have two small girls and a small dog to watch out for. And seeing first hand the results of what a pit attack can do on a little girl, yeah, we are on edge. I think anyone in their right mind would be.
Are you also living in fear every time you get in a car? Have you seen what can happen as a result of a car accident?!!??!?! MY GOD HOW CAN YOU SLEEP AT NIGHT!?!?!?

Are you also living in fear every time you get in a car? Have you seen what can happen as a result of a car accident?!!??!?! MY GOD HOW CAN YOU SLEEP AT NIGHT!?!?!?
What an awful analogy...

What an awful analogy...
No, its pretty much perfect actually.

What an awful analogy...
Not really.

Living in fear is not a good thing. The percentages of your kids being abducted or attacked by a pit bull or hit by a car riding their bikes is so tiny. Maybe stop watching/reading the news.

Well there you go, Cope. Just have the girls wear seat belts and carry airbags whenever they are outside playing and they'll be fine.

What an awful analogy...
It's so stupid that Chakas crap analogy is starting to look reasonable in comparison.

Living in fear is not a good thing. The percentages of your kids being abducted or attacked by a pit bull or hit by a car riding their bikes is so tiny. Maybe stop watching/reading the news.
Oh I agree. But like I said, I saw first hand the mutilation and life changing affects a pit bull attack can have on a child. It's not pretty/fun. Perhaps if I didn't see it I would feel otherwise. Perhaps since I did in fact see it, that I'm that much better off to guard against it.

Oh I agree. But like I said, I saw first hand the mutilation and life changing affects a pit bull attack can have on a child. It's not pretty/fun. Perhaps if I didn't see it I would feel otherwise. Perhaps since I did in fact see it, that I'm that much better off to guard against it.
Oh, I missed that part. You're pretty much scarred for life. You should definitely be looking to upgrade that fence then.

I understand where Copeman is coming from. A couple months ago I was walking my puppy and a large golden decided to attack for no reason. The owner had just put the dog on its leash and wasn't able to control it. The dog ran at us growling hair on end all while the owner yelled "he won't hurt you" After kicking the dog 4 or 5 times the owner finally got hold of its leash and was able to pull the dog away. I couldn't get over how hard I was kicking the dog and it just kept coming back for more.

This same owner let her dog run free without a leash (she had leashed it when she saw me and the pup). She continued to walk through my neighborhood with that dog unleashed. I contacted animal control. But until I stopped seeing her around here there was no way I was letting my wife or daughter out with our dog. It did feel like we were prisoners.

I know this threads about Pitbulls. But it's not just about the breed. It's about irresponsible owners too. Unfortunately pitbulls seem to be a magnet for irresponsible owners.

The breed should be banned. They're too unpredictable and too lethal.
I wasn't going to step back into this mess but here I go....

does anybody think banning pitbulls will solve anything? because I'm not seeing how it will. stupid people will move onto other breeds and then those breeds have to be banned. rinse and repeat until we all have yorkies.

I think we'd be better off banning backyard breeding. requiring a license to breed dogs. hefty fines if caught.

all dogs must be spayed/neutered within a specified time frame of purchase

require a license to purchase a dog. have to take a class on dog ownership to get the license.

this would solve a lot more problems than banning a breed, imo.

I think possible sex offender neighbors should be more of a concern than pitbulls.
They both can't be of concern?
Sure. I think "more" is the word you missed but you can also add....

Mosquito bites

Contact with people returning from West Africa

Terrorist attack

Bee stings

Lightning strikes

Shark attacks (landsharks of course)

Poisoned girl scout cookies

Malicious door to door Jehovah Witnesses

I'm sure we could compile a long list of things to be concerned about.

eoMMan said:
Mile High said:
eoMMan said:
I think possible sex offender neighbors should be more of a concern than pitbulls.
Sure. I think "more" is the word you missed but you can also add....

Mosquito bites

Terrorist attack

Bee stings

Lightning strikes

I didn't miss the word more. Just seemed like a "well,well well this is bad to type of answer. One being more of a concern over the other is pointless they both should be concerns to anyone with children. I not picking on pit bulls. I would keep and eye on any dog around children.

eoMMan said:
Mile High said:
eoMMan said:
Sure. I think "more" is the word you missed but you can also add....Mosquito bites

Terrorist attack

Bee stings

Lightning strikes

I didn't miss the word more. Just seemed like a "well,well well this is bad to type of answer. One being more of a concern over the other is pointless they both should be concerns to anyone with children. I not picking on pit bulls. I would keep and eye on any dog around children.
I hear ya and I definitely agree with your last sentence.

hotdogcollars said:
Been trying to stay out of this thread as I realize this is one of those arguments where you don't change peoples minds (politics, religion, sports, and pit bulls). So I'll just say that i think it's sad that a breed once considered to be a loving, loyal, calm, family pet has been manipulated to the point it is today. Whether or not you believe that manipulation to be myth from a media induced hysteria or actual fact from irresponsible breeding, it's just disappointing knowing where the breed was barely 100 years ago and where it is now. I hope the outcome from the current day focus on the breed is a return to normalcy for it, their owners, and the general public
My feelings 100%. Have owned this breed since 1993 and currently have 2 now. 1 who is 14 and the other 10. They reside with 3 cocker spaniels who they did not grow up with. I have never had an incident with a child or adult for that matter.

I'd like to consider myself a responsible dog owner and decent member of society.

I don't have any neck tattoos but I am not genetically blessed either so there may be something to that.

I understand that there can be serious harm or worse when there is a bad dog in the bunch but to want to punish the 95% of the breed for the 5% bad I don't think is the answer.

Full disclosure: I work in a rabies prevention and control program. I have for 13 years. One small part of my job is to investigate animal bites, domestic and wild. Last year I received 188 dog bites from my county. Of those dog bites, 63 were Pit-bull bites. Now this number is somewhat skewed from the national average because I have a heavily populated urban area that falls into my territory and one particular section, roughly 15 blocks, is where about 80% of the Pitt bites occurred. I looked back through the medical reports this morning and of those 63 bites, 2 were considered minor (no stitches), 13 moderate (stitches, etc.), The rest were labeled severe (multiple severe wounds, surgery required, pins, hospital stays, etc.). Of the 125 bites from other breeds, the majority were minor to moderate in severity (roughly 50/50 by initial review). 3 were severe. 2 were from Chow-chows, 1 was a K-9 unit (I get those as well). Of the moderate bites from the rest of the breeds the majority were caused by terriers or Chihuahuas (yes, I know but the teeth are small and break skin easier I guess.)

As you can see the distribution here is interesting. The Pitt-bulls are a higher population in this area than Chow-chows (which I hate more) but the attacks are much more severe in general. I cannot give out more detailed data as it is HIPAA protected.

jomar said:
General Tso said:
The breed should be banned. They're too unpredictable and too lethal.
I wasn't going to step back into this mess but here I go....

does anybody think banning pitbulls will solve anything? because I'm not seeing how it will. stupid people will move onto other breeds and then those breeds have to be banned. rinse and repeat until we all have yorkies.

I think we'd be better off banning backyard breeding. requiring a license to breed dogs. hefty fines if caught.

all dogs must be spayed/neutered within a specified time frame of purchase

require a license to purchase a dog. have to take a class on dog ownership to get the license.

this would solve a lot more problems than banning a breed, imo.
Agree here as well. If this breed is destroyed, it is batter up for the next spawn of satan.

How long does it take to reverse 200 years of selective breeding in order to create an agile and more violent dog that according to the Colorado Supreme Court, " [pit bulls] inflict more serious wounds than other breeds. They tend to attack the deep muscles, to hold on, to shake, and to cause ripping of tissues. Pit bull attacks were compared to shark attacks."12"
Are we really suggesting that the dogs recognize deep muscles in humans and aim for that? And comparing to a shark attack simply is an un-educated and ignorant statement (according to my years of watching "shark week").

Amazes me how the farther you go up in most professions the sillier people can be. I have met some of the dumbest people in executive positions making important decisions regularly.

Users who are viewing this thread