What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

You are tasked with building a second Mt. Rushmore... (1 Viewer)

Only to those who don't understand it's purpose.  It could also be viewed as a monument to national security.

That's like saying Mt. Rushmore is a monument to racism since George Washington and Thomas Jefferson owned slaves.  
In what way is it like that?

Only to those who don't understand it's purpose.  It could also be viewed as a monument to national security.

That's like saying Mt. Rushmore is a monument to racism since George Washington and Thomas Jefferson owned slaves.  
:mellow:

I think we understand Trump's purpose fine, considering the only reason he brought up the all to begin with is that it was a mnemonic device given him to so he could remember to talk about immigration at his rallies.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stuartanderson/2019/01/04/where-the-idea-for-donald-trumps-wall-came-from/

I assumed you'd go: John Adams, John Adams, John Adams, and John Adams

And then replace Thomas Jefferson on the current Rushmore with John Adams.
I was trying to be funny.  You did better.

I'd say it should probably be FDR, Monroe, Eisenhower and Polk.

A lot of Polk answers. I feel like an idiot that I don't immediately know what that would be. Can someone provide the bullet point highlights for Polk?

A lot of Polk answers. I feel like an idiot that I don't immediately know what that would be. Can someone provide the bullet point highlights for Polk?
Polk promised, to do four things while President – establish an independent treasury system, reduce tariffs, solve the Oregon territory and get California and New Mexico from Mexico.  He also promised not to run for a second term.  He accomplished it all.   

The Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo was a massive win for Polk.  It finally gave America total control over basically all of the west from Mexico and had included in it any Mexican claims to Texas.  He tried to buy Cuba from Spain too but they didn’t want to lose their rum and sugar just yet. Beyond Mexico, Polk ran such a smooth government that there really weren’t any other crisis’ to deal with.  There were grumblings about war in Oregon when England wouldn’t budge in negotiations but Polk handled that matter masterfully and war wasn’t necessary.  He got a treasury and reduced tariffs.  The economy started to rebound while he was in office and the acquisition of all Mexican claimed lands in the west plus the agreement to take over the Oregon territory once and for all cemented a long standing and growing economic boon for settlers in the west and with it the expansion of the country.  He averted any attempt at war with England and got Oregon along the border he originally wanted.  He destroyed Mexico and ended up getting the rest of the west along with Texas once and for all.  His foreign policy was as close to perfect as you could get.  He also set the groundwork for what would become the Panama Canal.

Congress worked well with him.  A young House Member named Abraham Lincoln fought him occasionally though.  That guy.  He politically managed to connect the Oregon problem with the Texas/Mexico problem so that slave and free states were appeased.  And instead of continued fighting in Congress over interior improvements that always seemed to favor certain districts over others, Polk got a bill passed that created the Department of the Interior.  Overall, he was the one that finished creating the map that was to be the continental United States.

@Yankee23Fan did you draft Polk (and not Adams) in our "Greatest American Draft" years ago?

I don't remember who drafted Polk, but I remember being impressed. 

The only thing I knew about him was "Fifty-four forty or fight!" and of course that was just a slogan/promise he broke after elected.

@Yankee23Fan did you draft Polk (and not Adams) in our "Greatest American Draft" years ago?

I don't remember who drafted Polk, but I remember being impressed. 

The only thing I knew about him was "Fifty-four forty or fight!" and of course that was just a slogan/promise he broke after elected.
If I remember correctly someone stole Polk from me and I went out and bought a white glove and slapped my computer.

Polk is arguably the most effective president in our history. He ran on a platform to achieve four things:

1. Annex Texas

2. Resolve the Oregon dispute

3. Establish an independent treasury

4. Lower tariffs.

He accomplished them all in one term and then chose not to seek re-election.

He had plenty of flaws too but it's hard to argue with keeping your word and getting things done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wasn't even a first round pick....half were Presidents.

Was def the VBD pick tho.

(can't find the old thread, not sure where archived stuff is at)

Round One

1.Wikkidpissah Thomas Jefferson

2.Orange Crush Abraham Lincoln

3.Stevegamer Benjamin Franklin

4.Claydon George Washington

5.The Hank Martin Luther King, Jr.

6.BobbyLayne Franklin Delano Roosevelt

7.Greco Theodore Roosevelt

8.Thatguy Elvis Presley

9.Yankee23fan John Adams

10.Fennis Albert Einstein

11.Big Rocks Thomas Edison

12.Doug B Dwight D. Eisenhower

13.MisfitBlondes Oprah Winfrey

14.Arsenal of Doom John F. Kennedy

15.Mister CIA Muhammad Ali

16.FUBAR John Marshall

17.B Deep Henry Ford

18.Pskov 1420 Henry David Thoreau

19.Larry Boy Ronald Reagan

20.DCThunder Andrew Jackson

Wasn't even a first round pick....half were Presidents.

Was def the VBD pick tho.

(can't find the old thread, not sure where archived stuff is at)

Round One

1.Wikkidpissah Thomas Jefferson

2.Orange Crush Abraham Lincoln

3.Stevegamer Benjamin Franklin

4.Claydon George Washington

5.The Hank Martin Luther King, Jr.

6.BobbyLayne Franklin Delano Roosevelt

7.Greco Theodore Roosevelt

8.Thatguy Elvis Presley

9.Yankee23fan John Adams

10.Fennis Albert Einstein

11.Big Rocks Thomas Edison

12.Doug B Dwight D. Eisenhower

13.MisfitBlondes Oprah Winfrey

14.Arsenal of Doom John F. Kennedy

15.Mister CIA Muhammad Ali

16.FUBAR John Marshall

17.B Deep Henry Ford

18.Pskov 1420 Henry David Thoreau

19.Larry Boy Ronald Reagan

20.DCThunder Andrew Jackson
now i'm depressed over how few of those drafters are regs anymore

Polk promised, to do four things while President – establish an independent treasury system, reduce tariffs, solve the Oregon territory and get California and New Mexico from Mexico.  He also promised not to run for a second term.  He accomplished it all.   

The Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo was a massive win for Polk.  It finally gave America total control over basically all of the west from Mexico and had included in it any Mexican claims to Texas.  He tried to buy Cuba from Spain too but they didn’t want to lose their rum and sugar just yet. Beyond Mexico, Polk ran such a smooth government that there really weren’t any other crisis’ to deal with.  There were grumblings about war in Oregon when England wouldn’t budge in negotiations but Polk handled that matter masterfully and war wasn’t necessary.  He got a treasury and reduced tariffs.  The economy started to rebound while he was in office and the acquisition of all Mexican claimed lands in the west plus the agreement to take over the Oregon territory once and for all cemented a long standing and growing economic boon for settlers in the west and with it the expansion of the country.  He averted any attempt at war with England and got Oregon along the border he originally wanted.  He destroyed Mexico and ended up getting the rest of the west along with Texas once and for all.  His foreign policy was as close to perfect as you could get.  He also set the groundwork for what would become the Panama Canal.

Congress worked well with him.  A young House Member named Abraham Lincoln fought him occasionally though.  That guy.  He politically managed to connect the Oregon problem with the Texas/Mexico problem so that slave and free states were appeased.  And instead of continued fighting in Congress over interior improvements that always seemed to favor certain districts over others, Polk got a bill passed that created the Department of the Interior.  Overall, he was the one that finished creating the map that was to be the continental United States.
:goodposting:

I think you can argue that his annexation of Texas and his endorsement of the Missouri Compromise were significant factors that led to the Civil War. But if the destruction of the slave industry was an inevitability, then Polk can't really be blamed for trying to solidify the country before war broke out.

If he had run for a second term he'd probably be remembered much better. He was in the middle of a long string of one-term presidents (once Jackson left office in 1836, no one was re-elected until Lincoln in 1864 and no one served two full terms until Grant a decade later.

BTW, I will always remember my high school history textbook that said, "Plagued by poor relations with Congress and chronic diarrhea, Polk declined to seek a second term." Apparently the diarrhea thing was what got him in the end (no pun intended)

Bush tax cuts, great Supreme Court nominees, and incredible response to 9/11 earn him a spot despite his excessive spending.   
I'm the furthest thing in the world from a 9/11 Truther, and I think the attacks were mostly due to a collective failure of imagination. Nonetheless, it has always bothered me the way Bush supporters have gone from "It wasn't his fault" to "It was just something that happened during his presidency and we should only judge him for what he did afterward" (and that's not even getting into the fact that part of his "response" was to launch a war of choice against a country that had no involvement in the attacks, in what may be the greatest strategic own-goal in American history). This mindset sometimes verges on parody, as when Rudy Giuliani (!) seemed to forget that Sept. 11 had even occurred during Bush's presidency.

I think the rule should be that if you don't want Bush to be blamed for the attack, he doesn't get to brag about his response to it either. But if you're going to go on and on about bullhorns and baseballs then you should also have to answer for "Bin Laden determined to strike in US".

You can have whoever you want for the other three but keep one spot open for...

Jimmy Carter - legalized home brewing which was the birth of craft beer.  Probably has had a bigger impact to my quality of life than anyone else mentioned.

You can have whoever you want for the other three but keep one spot open for...

Jimmy Carter - legalized home brewing which was the birth of craft beer.  Probably has had a bigger impact to my quality of life than anyone else mentioned.
Reporting you to mod for not using this emoji   :banned:

Users who are viewing this thread