What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Your philosophy on starting a player that is also playing vs your D/ST (1 Viewer)

Completely irrelevant. Play your best players.
It's not completely irrelevant. If you anticipate being a big underdog (or if you're making this decision after the early games have happened and you're already facing a big deficit), then it's something to take into consideration. If you need a big score it's somewhat counterproductive to start an offensive player and a defense that are facing each other.

It's not completely irrelevant. If you anticipate being a big underdog (or if you're making this decision after the early games have happened and you're already facing a big deficit), then it's something to take into consideration. If you need a big score it's somewhat counterproductive to start an offensive player and a defense that are facing each other.
i agree, start your best players. I don't think its counter productive to start a player and the opposing defense. If the Def has a punt return for a TD, a couple sacks, a few turn overs, and a TD, that wouldn't have a major effect on the offensive player you started.

Over coaching it for sure.

A player can put up 7 catches for 100 and a score, but that could be the only score that D allows.

Agreed. If I'm comfortably ahead I don't take it into consideration. Bit of a hedged bet. If I'm way behind I split. Of course, that's really only when discussing near-coin-flip decision. I tend to think it's more relevant for a QB, too.

irrelevant. However i think it should be considered in certain scenarios. If its a late game and your down and have the choice between two defenses, one of which your player is playing against might you consider the other which may have a higher upside while the other might be a slight hedge?

I asked because I have the NYJ D/ST, but I also have Antonio Brown starting at my flex @NYJ....... Over Blackmon @ DEN in one of my PPR leagues

ESPN projects me winning only by 4pts lol

:lmao:

As if what you do with your fake football team has any impact on what happens in the game.

(Of course if you're trolling here, well played.)

It is not irrelevant, especially if the offensive player is your qb. We don't have a crystal ball so you can't just say that you should start the players who will give you the most points. We don't know that answer ahead of time. But we do know that we want to maximize points. For our defenses, that means we want them to pitch a shutout, and get lots of turnovers. For qbs, we want no turnovers and lots of points. Both scenarios above can't happen if we play the d that is against our qb.

So I believe it does matter, and starting a d against your qb is usually a mistake.

It is not irrelevant, especially if the offensive player is your qb. We don't have a crystal ball so you can't just say that you should start the players who will give you the most points. We don't know that answer ahead of time. But we do know that we want to maximize points. For our defenses, that means we want them to pitch a shutout, and get lots of turnovers. For qbs, we want no turnovers and lots of points. Both scenarios above can't happen if we play the d that is against our qb.

So I believe it does matter, and starting a d against your qb is usually a mistake.
Please join my league.

LOL

lol so wrong

What may be a bit more interesting is if you are streaming DF, if there isn't a clear cut choice, do you take the DF playing against your opponent's QB?

:lmao: As if what you do with your fake football team has any impact on what happens in the game.
:confused: Where did I imply that it does?

Before dismissing the position out of hand, let's take a deeper look. I think the assertion here is that if you're starting Peyton Manning as a QB vs the Seattle Defense, you're hedging your bets in a way ... you won't get a great game out of Peyton and the defense because, for the most part, they're mutually exclusive outcomes.

However, if you've got QBs and Defenses of a reasonably similar talent level and you're playing an opponent where you're going to need a monster game to even compete, I can see avoiding a matchup where you're limiting upside by starting your QB against a defense. Under a very specific set of circumstances, I could see opting for a lower probable score in exchange for a higher ceiling as a valid strategy move.

Users who are viewing this thread