What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

THE JEEP THREAD > All Things Jeep (1 Viewer)

So I've been looking into the used military Humvees… 

Apparently they are super cheap but are difficult and possibly expensive to get street legal.

Im setting a personal goal to buy one next June.

Last edited by a moderator:
STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:
 So I've been looking into the used military Humvees… 

Apparently they are super cheap but are difficult and possibly expensive to get street legal.

Im setting a personal goal to buy one next June.
They look pretty awesome, but the ones that have been made street legal and with some creature comforts added cost a small fortune.  

And they're so wide, they look like a ##### to park...

They look pretty awesome, but the ones that have been made street legal and with some creature comforts added cost a small fortune.  

And they're so wide, they look like a ##### to park...
by no means is this a vehicle to drive in town.   I drove them in the military...they DESERVE to be a ranch vehicle, or a camp vehicle.  The maintenance probably not easy either.

I saw a dude last weekend driving around a first generation style humvee with no doors. Looked like loads of fun. 

They seem inexpensive:

http://www.govplanet.com/Humvees
If you're not a mechanic, or know a mechanic really well... keep walking. As MTS stated, folks who actually drove them will tell you the surplus units are beat on and not easy to keep running.

Now if you have the cash to get one and have a full overhaul done, possibly engine swap, etc.... I'd consider it.  

BVFWIH 

Scout purchased :thumbup:  

It's not a Jeep, but Jeep-ish.  If I don't like it, I may eventually trade my way into a Jeep JL.  But for now, it looks pretty bad ###, and like exactly what I'm looking for.

OT
Need pics asap.   Congrats on the new wheels.

Here it is GB (more pics at the link):

https://imgur.com/gallery/1Q7N6

Was a brand new frame off restoration that the owner had done at a Scout restoration shop. Guy had it listed for nearly 29k, I got it for 25, bought it sight unseen.  Having it shipped up. Will be delivered this week. 

Half of me would rather have gotten an old beater and do it myself to my specs -- this one isn't exactly what I would have done. But I also wanted something clean and comfortable and with a full family roll cage so I could take my girls out in it. And I wouldn't have the time to do it myself right now.  I looked at a bunch of them, and it seemed like there were a bunch of bombs in the 10-15k range, a bunch of  real rust buckets less than that, and this was one that looked like it would require the least time from me.  Work and kids just make time the most valuable item these days.

Its funny, I never noticed one on the street before I bought one. Honestly don't remember ever seeing one. Then I saw one in Austin this week, and just today at my local supermarket saw this Scout 80/800:

https://imgur.com/gallery/FfzwV

Anyway, I'm psyched for it.  If I hate it, I'm pretty sure I can sell for what I paid.  We shall see.  For now, can't wait.  One day I'll get one more with a classic restoration and slightly less modern looking.  But I look forward to taking my girls out for joy rides, and then on nice days when my wife needs me to go run an errand, pulling the top off and smoking a cigar and cruising around locally, blasting a little 70s rock.  The Otis rolling man cave.

Jeep returned.  I'm thinking #### it.  Maybe I get a new one instead.  New 2017 red "Recon Edition" Rubicon for 43k.  Seems like a better deal. 

My kid turns 16 on the 24th.  We just need a 3rd car. We settled on a jeep and now I'm realizing they don't lose their value. 
Yeah, I should have chimed in on this sooner.  I was recently looking at used JKs after regretting selling my 2016 JKU Rocky Ridge edition.  The more I looked, the more stunned I was at how these Wranglers retain their value.  It's insane.  I was looking at 10 year old cars with 100k miles for 18 grand, and that was like the best deal I could fine.  I decent lightly used one was $30k -- not a whole lot less than new.  

So yeah, these are not cars to buy used.

Also, before I bought the scout, I had decided to wait on the 2018s.  Total new redesign, first in years.  They look like they're gonna be awesome, keep a lot of the old styling but with some new aspects that look great, and lots of great new tech.  Bottom line, I'm thinking the new 2018s (codenamed JL) are going to retain value even more so, and for many years.  They'll be hot items.  There's also gonna be a pickup version a year later.

Check here for some awesome renderings of the new JL based on spy shots:

http://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/forums/general-jl-jlu-wrangler-discussions.2/

http://m.imgur.com/eJ7Libo?r

But yeah I wouldn't be buying a JK now.  I'm assuming they'll drop considerably in price once the JLs are rolling around.

Yeah, I should have chimed in on this sooner.  I was recently looking at used JKs after regretting selling my 2016 JKU Rocky Ridge edition.  The more I looked, the more stunned I was at how these Wranglers retain their value.  It's insane.  I was looking at 10 year old cars with 100k miles for 18 grand, and that was like the best deal I could fine.  I decent lightly used one was $30k -- not a whole lot less than new.  

So yeah, these are not cars to buy used.

Also, before I bought the scout, I had decided to wait on the 2018s.  Total new redesign, first in years.  They look like they're gonna be awesome, keep a lot of the old styling but with some new aspects that look great, and lots of great new tech.  Bottom line, I'm thinking the new 2018s (codenamed JL) are going to retain value even more so, and for many years.  They'll be hot items.  There's also gonna be a pickup version a year later.

Check here for some awesome renderings of the new JL based on spy shots:

http://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/forums/general-jl-jlu-wrangler-discussions.2/

http://m.imgur.com/eJ7Libo?r

But yeah I wouldn't be buying a JK now.  I'm assuming they'll drop considerably in price once the JLs are rolling around.
Love Scouts.

Hmm I have been avoiding Jeep websites like the Plague, but that JL is sweet.  I wonder what a 4dr diesel Rubi would run.  Considering switching companies in the near future and it would be a 140 mile round trip commute so it may also be a Tesla 3 thingy.

Hmm I have been avoiding Jeep websites like the Plague, but that JL is sweet.  I wonder what a 4dr diesel Rubi would run.  Considering switching companies in the near future and it would be a 140 mile round trip commute so it may also be a Tesla 3 thingy.
With that kind of commute, the Model 3 is a no brainer.  I'm in the exact opposite boat, I want a Model 3 but only commute 16 miles total weekdays, and often put zero miles on my truck on weekends.  Thus I'm leaning toward a guzzler like the Wrangler for the fun of it.  

I don't think I can wait that long.   Course, if the new ones are super high demand, they will price em up.  And there will always be those people who want to buy the last year before it changed too. 

Im pretty sure I will pull the trigger before end of May

En route to Camp Otis:

https://imgur.com/gallery/GI8l8

Serious question, because the title won't arrive for a few days and I won't be able to register it or get plates -- what's the worst that happens if I get pulled over driving it around town for a couple days? (I have full insurance coverage). 
5-0 will run your drivers license number if you're pulled and once they see you have no record they'll let you go. Assuming you're not trashed at the time.  

En route to Camp Otis:

Serious question, because the title won't arrive for a few days and I won't be able to register it or get plates -- what's the worst that happens if I get pulled over driving it around town for a couple days? (I have full insurance coverage). 
Worst case scenario...it gets towed for not having proper registration and you get a ticket. (Worst-worst case scenario...the tow driver is an idiot and FUBARs your Scout)

En route to Camp Otis:

Did you ship via pony express?     I can't wait to hear how it looks in person.

En route to Camp Otis:

You maybe to get around this by getting transit tags. You would just need insurance and tell the DMV you need to transport from point A to point B. These tags are cheap and only good for a short period of time. (10 days in Maine) you would obviously need to look into the specifics for your state. It would get you behind the wheel legally though

Here it is GB (more pics at the link):

https://imgur.com/gallery/1Q7N6

Was a brand new frame off restoration that the owner had done at a Scout restoration shop. Guy had it listed for nearly 29k, I got it for 25, bought it sight unseen.  Having it shipped up. Will be delivered this week. 

Half of me would rather have gotten an old beater and do it myself to my specs -- this one isn't exactly what I would have done. But I also wanted something clean and comfortable and with a full family roll cage so I could take my girls out in it. And I wouldn't have the time to do it myself right now.  I looked at a bunch of them, and it seemed like there were a bunch of bombs in the 10-15k range, a bunch of  real rust buckets less than that, and this was one that looked like it would require the least time from me.  Work and kids just make time the most valuable item these days.

Its funny, I never noticed one on the street before I bought one. Honestly don't remember ever seeing one. Then I saw one in Austin this week, and just today at my local supermarket saw this Scout 80/800:

https://imgur.com/gallery/FfzwV

Anyway, I'm psyched for it.  If I hate it, I'm pretty sure I can sell for what I paid.  We shall see.  For now, can't wait.  One day I'll get one more with a classic restoration and slightly less modern looking.  But I look forward to taking my girls out for joy rides, and then on nice days when my wife needs me to go run an errand, pulling the top off and smoking a cigar and cruising around locally, blasting a little 70s rock.  The Otis rolling man cave.
That is a beautiful Traveler. One of the nicest ones I've seen. Like I mentioned before I had an old 74 scout. It was a beater I paid 1400.00 for though. 

It was getting impossible to move in the garage, so my son and I finally got around to building a Rolling Jeep Top Rack.  I think I first saw the idea for this in this thread.  Super easy to build and with decent casters, it moves around with ease.  We store the top for the '97 in my folks garage and pop on a soft top, so we'll be building a second one soon.  

Anyone have a suggestion for side view mirrors that attach to the door frame so you have them when the doors are removed?
For my '97 I bought cheap bike mirrors and set them on a peg that fits in the top door hinge.  Nothing special, but they do the trick.  I saw these the other day and was thinking of grabbing a set to see how they work on the 2010.  With the top off and such a wide area in view, the mirrors are really only needed for the blind spots for quick lane changes.

That is a beautiful Traveler. One of the nicest ones I've seen. Like I mentioned before I had an old 74 scout. It was a beater I paid 1400.00 for though. 
:thumbup:

Thanks.  Finally got it registered and on the road.  It's a blast.  Brought it into the shop yesterday and left it for what I'm sure is going to cost me an arm and a leg.  Needed an inspection, needed a few minor issues repaired, and asked them to go over it with care and give me any feedback/issues that needed to be resolved.  The short list includes:

- One of the turn signals wasn't working

- Brakes are soft/mushy.  Takes forever to stop.  Could be the brakes just aren't beefy enough given the weight/oversized wheels/tires, etc.  So I asked him to give those a look. Safety first... I'd be fine with splurging on some new high end brakes that'll stop on a dime

- The engine is LOUD.  I'm sure it was intentionally done this way, but it's a Chevy small block, and doesn't have to be THAT loud I'm sure.  We'll see what they suggest on that front

And a few other minor nits.

Once they give it a working over and tune up, my next stop will be to the car audio place to install a backup camera (too many horror stories about small children these days) and an improved audio system (probably have them throw in some upgraded speakers, an amp, and a kicker in the rear, plenty of space for it; might also want a head-end unit that has Sirius).

Already this overpriced old jalopy is costing me more money. :bag:    

Still, it's fun, and I'm sure I could sell it at not TOO significant a loss if/when I want to. (There's a non-zero chance that in a couple years I'll want to replace it with a new Jeep JL, we'll see, but for now I'm really digging it.  Also managed to put it to good practical use already.  Needed to replace a dead 6' leyland tree in my hard, went to the local gardening place, stood it up in back and bunjeed it to the roll cage, home without incident.  Cool/fun and yet functional too...

OT

(I also started splurging on Amazon for things like LED headlights etc....   just can't help myself....)

Thanks.  Finally got it registered and on the road.  It's a blast.  Brought it into the shop yesterday and left it for what I'm sure is going to cost me an arm and a leg.  Needed an inspection, needed a few minor issues repaired, and asked them to go over it with care and give me any feedback/issues that needed to be resolved.  The short list includes:

- Brakes are soft/mushy.  Takes forever to stop.  Could be the brakes just aren't beefy enough given the weight/oversized wheels/tires, etc.  So I asked him to give those a look. Safety first... I'd be fine with splurging on some new high end brakes that'll stop on a dime

- The engine is LOUD.  I'm sure it was intentionally done this way, but it's a Chevy small block, and doesn't have to be THAT loud I'm sure.  We'll see what they suggest on that front

Once they give it a working over and tune up, my next stop will be to the car audio place to install a backup camera (too many horror stories about small children these days) and an improved audio system (probably have them throw in some upgraded speakers, an amp, and a kicker in the rear, plenty of space for it; might also want a head-end unit that has Sirius).

Still, it's fun, and I'm sure I could sell it at not TOO significant a loss if/when I want to. (There's a non-zero chance that in a couple years I'll want to replace it with a new Jeep JL, we'll see, but for now I'm really digging it.  Also managed to put it to good practical use already.  Needed to replace a dead 6' leyland tree in my hard, went to the local gardening place, stood it up in back and bunjeed it to the roll cage, home without incident.  Cool/fun and yet functional too...

OT

(I also started splurging on Amazon for things like LED headlights etc....   just can't help myself....)
Glad you're enjoying your new wheels!  Have you named it?

For my '97 I bought cheap bike mirrors and set them on a peg that fits in the top door hinge.  Nothing special, but they do the trick.  I saw these the other day and was thinking of grabbing a set to see how they work on the 2010.  With the top off and such a wide area in view, the mirrors are really only needed for the blind spots for quick lane changes.
I asked about this and was told there are mirrors that drop into the door hinge.  Haven't looked yet, but will. 

next stop will be to the car audio place to install a backup camera (too many horror stories about small children these days. 

Still, it's fun, and I'm sure I could sell it at not TOO significant a loss if/when I want to. 
Agree on camera.  Getting one for the new Jeep

and after reading the guitar thread and seeing you buy and sell 3 guitars in 6 months in 2013, I'll be ready to buy this Scout in July 

OT

Yup it all adds up fast. I bought a built 05 LJ Rubicon for 16.5k in April and already dropped 1200 in upgrades without even thinking about it

Anyone have a suggestion for side view mirrors that attach to the door frame so you have them when the doors are removed?

Just bought and installed these. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VK4H7E2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Only one quick trip to Target, but they work pretty well and don't shake.  They did have a whistle at about 30 mph. but I put some clear silicone over the screws on the mirror and hopefully it will do the trick.

Just bought and installed these. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VK4H7E2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Only one quick trip to Target, but they work pretty well and don't shake.  They did have a whistle at about 30 mph. but I put some clear silicone over the screws on the mirror and hopefully it will do the trick.
Those are the ones I have.  They work pretty well, and I like that they don't use the door hinge, since I now have soft half doors.

Users who are viewing this thread