What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Crock pot / Slow cooker recipes (5 Viewers)

I don't have coke or liquid smoke in the house.

Dry rub and then putting some apple juice in there would work, right?

Explain why I have to cook longer after shredding.
Apple juice will work great.

Extra cooking is if you shred and add BBQ so it blends all the way through. If you are adding sauce on your own, no extra cooking is needed.
even better is apple cider vinegar-- gives a nice bite of flavor

So, what if i have a 6 quart slow cooker and it says 7? Can i just cook it in the 6 quart one. I am totally inept at cooking but want to give this slow cooker / crock pot think a go.

Thanks.

Just picked up our new 6.5 qt. Crockpot.

Chicken Cacciatore tomorrow!
Smelling good!

3lbs. bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed

14 oz. can diced tomatoes with Italian seasoning

6oz. can tomato paste

1 cup chicken broth

1 onion, sliced

4 cloves garlic, minced

1 green pepper, chopped (I added a half of a red one too)

1 cup sliced mushrooms

1/2 cup red wine

1 tsp. dried Italian seasoning

1/8 tsp pepper

1/2 tsp salt

6-8 hours on low.
Got this one cooking again today.

Leaving the mushrooms and peppers as huge chunks this time. Last time they dissolved to almost nothing. I did it 7 hours last time on low, going with 5 on high but might end it earlier.

also went with 2.25 pounds of chicken breast instead of thighs. Might shred it when it's ready.
Looks like you have made this more than once, but, to be safe, how did it turn out?

As a general question, has anyone been able to determine how to remove the crock pot "taste" that occurs in some dishes (chili being the notable exception)?

Smelling good!

6oz. can tomato paste

1 cup chicken broth

1 onion, sliced

4 cloves garlic, minced

1 cup sliced mushrooms

1/2 cup red wine

1/8 tsp pepper

1/2 tsp salt

6-8 hours on low.

Leaving the mushrooms and peppers as huge chunks this time. Last time they dissolved to almost nothing. I did it 7 hours last time on low, going with 5 on high but might end it earlier.

also went with 2.25 pounds of chicken breast instead of thighs. Might shred it when it's ready.
Looks like you have made this more than once, but, to be safe, how did it turn out?

As a general question, has anyone been able to determine how to remove the crock pot "taste" that occurs in some dishes (chili being the notable exception)?
:confused:

Smelling good!

6oz. can tomato paste

1 cup chicken broth

1 onion, sliced

4 cloves garlic, minced

1 cup sliced mushrooms

1/2 cup red wine

1/8 tsp pepper

1/2 tsp salt

6-8 hours on low.

Came out great, especially with the much larger pieces of mushroom and peppers. I think I prefer the bone-in thighs though compared to the boneless breast that I shredded. Could have used a little more garlic. I didn't notice it so much with the first meal, but the leftover was a little bland. I actually still have a little left for lunch today. :thumbup:

Smelling good!

6oz. can tomato paste

1 cup chicken broth

1 onion, sliced

4 cloves garlic, minced

1 cup sliced mushrooms

1/2 cup red wine

1/8 tsp pepper

1/2 tsp salt

6-8 hours on low.

:goodposting:

Uh...wtf.

Smelling good!

6oz. can tomato paste

1 cup chicken broth

1 onion, sliced

4 cloves garlic, minced

1 cup sliced mushrooms

1/2 cup red wine

1/8 tsp pepper

1/2 tsp salt

6-8 hours on low.

Uh...wtf.
It may be from the slow cooking, which I have noticed, at times, dries out some foods (chicken, for instance). If I could describe the taste, I would. I am making the Cacciatore this evening, so maybe I can provide a further update upon having it this evening (if it applies to this dish).

When doing a general search on this, most mention a metallic taste (maybe from an older crock pot), but that is not it (fwiw, I have a Stonewear insert)

Smelling good!3lbs. bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed

6oz. can tomato paste

1 cup chicken broth

1 onion, sliced

4 cloves garlic, minced

1 cup sliced mushrooms

1/2 cup red wine

1/8 tsp pepper

1/2 tsp salt

6-8 hours on low.
Got this one cooking again today.Leaving the mushrooms and peppers as huge chunks this time. Last time they dissolved to almost nothing. I did it 7 hours last time on low, going with 5 on high but might end it earlier.

Uh...wtf.
It may be from the slow cooking, which I have noticed, at times, dries out some foods (chicken, for instance). If I could describe the taste, I would. I am making the Cacciatore this evening, so maybe I can provide a further update upon having it this evening (if it applies to this dish).When doing a general search on this, most mention a metallic taste (maybe from an older crock pot), but that is not it (fwiw, I have a Stonewear insert)
This sounds like over cooking to me. I would set up some chicken and vegetables before Id sneak off to go play poker during the day (when I had a job that would allow it). If I ended up pushing it and playing later than expected the chicken would get dry and the vegetables were completely fallen apart.

Chicken: use thighs instead of breast meat. If you do use breast meat then cook on low for a shorter time so it doesn't get dry.

Also get a crockpot that seals. I have one that locks down the lid with a kind of rubber seal around. Moisture almost never escapes.

Chicken: use thighs instead of breast meat. If you do use breast meat then cook on low for a shorter time so it doesn't get dry.
Noticed that this time. It wasn't dry but not as good as the thighs.

Why is that?

Smelling good!

6oz. can tomato paste

1 cup chicken broth

1 onion, sliced

4 cloves garlic, minced

1 cup sliced mushrooms

1/2 cup red wine

1/8 tsp pepper

1/2 tsp salt

6-8 hours on low.

Wash the crockpot once in a while?

Ive made chicken in the crock pot countless times. Its never NOT come out dry.
I never cook the breast for more than 5 hours and I monitor the temp closely.Even at low it can be too much heat.Thighs I let go for 6-8 because they have more fat but again it's all about the temp it's being cooked at.

I had a cheap slow cooker early on and found that it was just that,cheap.Once I got a better cooker that gave me the temps I wanted it was good to go and things didn't dry out like before.

Damn this thread is long. I'm doing a 7.5 lb pork shoulder tomorrow. Nothing fancy, just want to do a rub and let people sauce later.

Do I need to put liquid in there? Fat side up or down? How many hours per pound? High or low?
Yep. x1000

Shuke,

1 can of coke

a teaspoon or two of liquid smoke

Cook for 10 hours, shred and let cook 1 more hour (sauce now if you want to).

Perfection
What the hell is wrong with you people?!

Pork shoulder with coke and liquid smoke? What's next...topping it with ketchup?

I hope you all die of Trichinosis for cooking a pork butt in this manner. Buy a proper smoker or make one with #### from around your house... but you guys are equivalently using slathering toro in mayonaise calling it tuna salad.

Knock it off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn this thread is long. I'm doing a 7.5 lb pork shoulder tomorrow. Nothing fancy, just want to do a rub and let people sauce later.

Do I need to put liquid in there? Fat side up or down? How many hours per pound? High or low?
Yep. x1000

Shuke,

1 can of coke

Perfection

Pork shoulder with coke and liquid smoke? What's next...topping it with ketchup?

I hope you all die of Trichinosis for cooking a pork butt in this manner. Buy a proper smoker or make one with #### from around your house... but you guys are equivalently using slathering toro in mayonaise calling it tuna salad.

Knock it off.
I do pulled pork in a Big Green Egg a few times a year. Sure, this isn't as good and I was skeptical at first, but it's an easy and tasty alternative.

Yep. x1000

Shuke,

1 can of coke

Perfection

Knock it off.
Oh relax with the tough guy BBQ act. It's like 10 degrees here. Smoker is put away for the winter.

Made this for christmas and it was a big hit. Shredded italian beef:

3-5 lb. roast of your choosing. I did a 3 lb. sirloin roast

1 t salt

1 t black pepper

1 t oregano

1 t basil

1 t onion powder

1 t parsley

1 t garlic powder

1 bay leaf

2 0.7 oz packets of italian dressing mix

3 c. beef broth

1/2 t red pepper flakes

mix everything except the roast in a pot and bring to a boil

put roast in slow cooker and add all that boiled stuff

cover and cook on low 10-12 hours (or high 4-5 hours) - I did low for 11 hours

remove bay leaf and shred beef, return to crock pot for 30-60 min

It was really good. We had 5-6 different dishes altogether and this was the only one that sold out

People with the drying chicken need a crockpot that seals. I think I mentioned this earlier, but I generally pick a sauce and veggies that go well depending on my mood each weekend, crockpot four or five chicken breasts for anywhere from 5-8 hours on low, and never have a problem.

My crockpot seals, moisture doesn't escape. I have never had dry chicken. I always use breasts, and fairly cheap ones (like the bag of frozen ones from WalMart lol). Sauce and veggies always make it delicious, and I usually shred after 5-6 hours then cook shredded in sauce for another hour or two.

I don't even use timers. Just put it in there when I wake up, and when it's close to dinner k shred it and then let it cook til dinner time.

:shrug: Never been dry.

Yep. x1000

Shuke,

1 can of coke

Perfection

Knock it off.
It tastes really good.

People with the drying chicken need a crockpot that seals. I think I mentioned this earlier, but I generally pick a sauce and veggies that go well depending on my mood each weekend, crockpot four or five chicken breasts for anywhere from 5-8 hours on low, and never have a problem.

My crockpot seals, moisture doesn't escape. I have never had dry chicken. I always use breasts, and fairly cheap ones (like the bag of frozen ones from WalMart lol). Sauce and veggies always make it delicious, and I usually shred after 5-6 hours then cook shredded in sauce for another hour or two.

I don't even use timers. Just put it in there when I wake up, and when it's close to dinner k shred it and then let it cook til dinner time.

:shrug: Never been dry.
Shredding and allowing to cook in sauce helps avoid the appearance of being dry. If you left them as full breasts they would be dry.

• Smile
Reactions: RBM

Why is that?
Dark meat, more fat?
Sounds about right. Found this answer which seems "scientific"

As far as cooking goes, chicken breast has very little fat and very little collagen. Typically, chicken breast is cooked to 165°F/74°C (USDA recommendation for food safety), which is actually a little on the overdone side taste-wise. So various tricks like brining are needed to keep it juicy.

Chicken thigh has more of both fat and collagen, which allows it to take a higher temperature without drying out. Cooking chicken thigh to 175°F/80°C is fairly common. It also is much more suited to slow cooking, which allows the collagen to convert to gelatin (which gives a moist feel to the meat and also a nice flavor).

Lazy mans pulled pork gets all the love in here, but dont sleep on the Lazy mans Italian beef. Even better, IMO.

Lazy Man's Italian Beef

3-5 lb Chuck Roast
Jar of Hot Giardinera
Vidalia Onions
Dash of Olive Oil
Crock Pot

Slice onions 1/2 thick and Layer bottom of crock pot. Pour in Giardinera and dash of Olive Oil. Place roast on top. Cook on low for 8 hours. Shred meat removing any fat. The broth can be used to dip your sandwich in. Serve on sturdy toasted bun. Eat.

Why is that?
Dark meat, more fat?
Sounds about right. Found this answer which seems "scientific"

As far as cooking goes, chicken breast has very little fat and very little collagen. Typically, chicken breast is cooked to 165°F/74°C (USDA recommendation for food safety), which is actually a little on the overdone side taste-wise. So various tricks like brining are needed to keep it juicy.

Chicken thigh has more of both fat and collagen, which allows it to take a higher temperature without drying out. Cooking chicken thigh to 175°F/80°C is fairly common. It also is much more suited to slow cooking, which allows the collagen to convert to gelatin (which gives a moist feel to the meat and also a nice flavor).
Good call - collagen is probably just as important (if not more so).

Frostillicus said:

1 t salt

1 t black pepper

1 t oregano

1 t basil

1 t onion powder

1 t parsley

1 t garlic powder

1 bay leaf

3 c. beef broth

1/2 t red pepper flakes

It was really good. We had 5-6 different dishes altogether and this was the only one that sold out
sounds really good

shuke said:
Oh relax with the tough guy BBQ act. It's like 10 degrees here. Smoker is put away for the winter.
jamny said:
I do pulled pork in a Big Green Egg a few times a year. Sure, this isn't as good and I was skeptical at first, but it's an easy and tasty alternative.
I thought it was obvious it was shtick... my bad. :brush:

Curious now what type of crock pot/slow cookers you guys are using?

I have 2,both by Cuisinart.One is a 3 and 1/2 quart and the other a 6 and1/2 quart.Depending upon what I'm making I will use one or the other(big vs small recipes).I have noticed if I try smaller batches in the 6 1/2 it tends to cook faster(get hotter)so when using the bigger one I make sure to fill it up good.Has a nice seal,temp controls and a warming feature when done.

Frostillicus said:

1 t salt

1 t black pepper

1 t oregano

1 t basil

1 t onion powder

1 t parsley

1 t garlic powder

1 bay leaf

3 c. beef broth

1/2 t red pepper flakes

Sandwiches?Beef wasn't bone dry after 11 hours?

shuke said:

Yep. x1000

Shuke,

1 can of coke

Perfection

Knock it off.
:lmao:

Frostillicus said:

1 t salt

1 t black pepper

1 t oregano

1 t basil

1 t onion powder

1 t parsley

1 t garlic powder

1 bay leaf

3 c. beef broth

1/2 t red pepper flakes

Sandwiches?Beef wasn't bone dry after 11 hours?
Yes, sandwiches, and not remotely.

Frostillicus said:

1 t salt

1 t black pepper

1 t oregano

1 t basil

1 t onion powder

1 t parsley

1 t garlic powder

1 bay leaf

3 c. beef broth

1/2 t red pepper flakes

sounds really good
Just got a crock pot recently, and was reading around the thread for something to kick this off.

Shall give this a try for the inaugural :thumbup:

1 t salt

1 t black pepper

1 t oregano

1 t basil

1 t onion powder

1 t parsley

1 t garlic powder

1 bay leaf

3 c. beef broth

1/2 t red pepper flakes

Doing this one for the OSU/Oregon game tomorrow night! :banned:

Bag over head question here. Does t mean teaspoon or tablespoon?

1 t salt

1 t black pepper

1 t oregano

1 t basil

1 t onion powder

1 t parsley

1 t garlic powder

1 bay leaf

3 c. beef broth

1/2 t red pepper flakes

Doing this one for the OSU/Oregon game tomorrow night! :banned:

I'm making the Lazy Man's Pulled Pork today while watching some playoff football. Got a 3.5 lb pork shoulder, going to cook it on low for 7 hours then another 1.5 hours with the sauce.

Do I drain everything out of the crockpot after the 7 hours, including the coke? Then just shred and cook in only the sauce, nothing else added? Obviously never made this, but based on the many great reviews in this thread and the overall easiness I am giving it a go today.

Just came across this : http://www.theidearoom.net/2014/10/21251.html

No idea if they are any good or not.
Couple things in there I want to give a try. :thanks:
Tried the Teriyaki Chicken (w/ 5 chicken breasts)...added onions, celery, and carrots as well as a bit of rice wine and mirin . Cooked a bunch of rice and made a salad with iceberg and romaine lettuce topped with ginger dressing. Between my wife, daughter, and I plus son and his 3 friends, we demolished everything.

I'm making the Lazy Man's Pulled Pork today while watching some playoff football. Got a 3.5 lb pork shoulder, going to cook it on low for 7 hours then another 1.5 hours with the sauce.

Do I drain everything out of the crockpot after the 7 hours, including the coke? Then just shred and cook in only the sauce, nothing else added? Obviously never made this, but based on the many great reviews in this thread and the overall easiness I am giving it a go today.
Yep - drain at the end before adding sauce

Trying a buffalo chicken pasta (using penne though the recipe says linguine). Link.

Ingredients
  • 1 to 1½ pound boneless skinless chicken
  • 3 cups chicken broth
  • ½ cup buffalo wing sauce (1/4 cup now, ¼ cup later)
  • 1 tablespoon ranch dressing mix (dried packet kind)
  • ½ teaspoon garlic powder
  • ¼ teaspoon celery salt
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • ⅛ teaspoon pepper
  • 8 oz cream cheese
  • 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar
  • 1 tablespoon corn starch + 1 tablespoon water
  • 16 oz linguine noodles
  • Chopped cilantro for garnish (optional)

Instructions
  1. Place chicken, broth, ¼ cup buffalo sauce, and seasonings in crock
  2. Top with cream cheese and shredded cheese
  3. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8
  4. When chicken is fully cooked remove to separate bowl and shred with two forks
  5. Add remaining ¼ cup buffalo sauce to chicken and toss to coat
  6. Set aside chicken
  7. Whisk together corn starch and water and add to crock
  8. Use a whisk and stir until cheese and cream cheese is all combined and smooth
  9. Break noodles in half and place in crock
  10. Top with chicken and cover
  11. Turn crock on high for 30-60 minutes until noodles are fully cooked, stir 3-4 times during cooking
  12. If noodles are not done you can add extra broth or water ¼ cup at a time
  13. Garnish with cilantro if desired and serve immediately

Doing chicken dumpling today. Chicken breasts, cream chicken soup, butter and onion. Add pillsbury dough with 30 min. left. So far, very easy

Users who are viewing this thread