What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Crock pot / Slow cooker recipes (2 Viewers)

About time I fire my slow cooker up in preparation for football season

Going to try to do a Barbacoa but with a Buffalo Chuck Roast instead of Beef

I'm a little worried as there's so little fat in Buffalo but I'll just plan for this one to cook longer than normal.

I have a 3 pound Buffalo Chuck Roast

Here's what I'm thinking...

1 can of chipotle in adobo (chop the pepper and add it and all the sauce)

tbs of cumin

tbs of chili powder

1/2 tsp of ground close

squeeze of a lime

cup of water

few tbs of olive oil

4 or 5 cloves of garlic

2 tsp oregano

small can of tomato paste

I'm thinking I'll hit the flavor profile pretty well with that. May cut the chili powder because of the adobo sauce.

The goal is to make this very low carb.

Making tomorrow - will report back

pepper and salt
Interested.

I'm a little worried as there's so little fat in Buffalo but I'll just plan for this one to cook longer than normal.

tbs of cumin

tbs of chili powder

1/2 tsp of ground close

squeeze of a lime

cup of water

few tbs of olive oil

4 or 5 cloves of garlic

2 tsp oregano

I'm thinking I'll hit the flavor profile pretty well with that. May cut the chili powder because of the adobo sauce.

pepper and salt
Interested.
I'll snap some pics as I go.

I'm almost certain I should have gone with beef here and not buffalo though. Little fat in the crock pot = tough meat to cook down.

tbs of cumin

tbs of chili powder

1/2 tsp of ground close

squeeze of a lime

cup of water

few tbs of olive oil

4 or 5 cloves of garlic

2 tsp oregano

pepper and salt
Interested.

I'm almost certain I should have gone with beef here and not buffalo though. Little fat in the crock pot = tough meat to cook down.
Yes please report back. If you do it with beef, what type would you recommend? May try this tomorrow.

tbs of cumin

tbs of chili powder

1/2 tsp of ground close

squeeze of a lime

cup of water

few tbs of olive oil

4 or 5 cloves of garlic

2 tsp oregano

pepper and salt
Interested.

Yes please report back. If you do it with beef, what type would you recommend? May try this tomorrow.
Beef Chuck roast for sure (about 3 lbs)

I haven't tested my recipe out yet. Will do so tomorrow though. I may add some tweaks depending, but just from experience, this should be about perfect.

(feel free to test it out with me ;) )

I'll let you know about the Buffalo too. I know it's healthy and lean, but it's not easy to find. Got mine fresh cut from the butcher this morning luckily.

Last edited by a moderator:

tbs of cumin

tbs of chili powder

1/2 tsp of ground close

squeeze of a lime

cup of water

few tbs of olive oil

4 or 5 cloves of garlic

2 tsp oregano

pepper and salt
Interested.

I haven't tested my recipe out yet. Will do so tomorrow though. I may add some tweaks depending, but just from experience, this should be about perfect.

I'll let you know about the Buffalo too. I know it's healthy and lean, but it's not easy to find. Got mine fresh cut from the butcher this morning luckily.

tbs of cumin

tbs of chili powder

1/2 tsp of ground close

squeeze of a lime

cup of water

few tbs of olive oil

4 or 5 cloves of garlic

2 tsp oregano

pepper and salt
Interested.

Could you add some uncooked bacon to the pot? That will keep it low carb and the fat from the bacon will help add some fat you need to break down the buffalo. That would be my experiment if I were using something so low in natural fat.

I see you are going to add a little olive oil, too.

tbs of cumin

tbs of chili powder

1/2 tsp of ground close

squeeze of a lime

cup of water

few tbs of olive oil

4 or 5 cloves of garlic

2 tsp oregano

pepper and salt
Interested.

tbs of cumin

tbs of chili powder

1/2 tsp of ground close

squeeze of a lime

cup of water

few tbs of olive oil

4 or 5 cloves of garlic

2 tsp oregano

pepper and salt
Interested.

Could you add some uncooked bacon to the pot? That will keep it low carb and the fat from the bacon will help add some fat you need to break down the buffalo. That would be my experiment if I were using something so low in natural fat.

I see you are going to add a little olive oil, too.
Ya

I think I'm actually going to tweak the olive oil up a notch honestly. I just am worried about the barbacoa "sauce" being too fatty.

Flat out, I shouldn't have gone for the buffalo. This would work much better with a chuck. It was fresh and looked really good and just thought I'd try it.

If anything, I'll cut it so it's more of a steak if it's too tough. As long as the flavor is there, it just won't be "shredded" as it is traditionally.

This is a good game day special....

Granpa Bill's BBQ Cheeseburger Veggie and Chip Dip

4 parsnips peeled and chopped

2 carrots peeled and chopped

1 yellow onion peeled and chopped

4 Mc Donalds cheesebrgers chopped whole

3 cups of cooked spiral cut honey ham diced off the bone

1 cup mayo

1 cup pineapple juice

1 1/2 cup of baking powder

1 cup sweet baby rays bbq sauce

pinch of saffron

2 tablespoons of onion powder

1/2 cup of oregano

3 tablespoons of salt

Mix the seasonings in a separate bowl, then mix with the mayo and the pineapple juice. Pour the mayp mix into the bottom of the slow cooker. Add veggies and cook on low for 4 hours. Let mixture set overnight then add ham (must be preseasoned spiral cut preferably from a quality place like Heavenly Ham or Whole Foods), bbq sauce, and cut up cheeseburgers (yes, with the bread!). Cook on high for 3 more hours. Mix in baking powder after 3 hours and set to low for 2 more hours. Serve with pita chips and enjoy! Believe me, this is pretty much one of the best dips you will ever taste. It is really worth the effort.
bout time to fire this sucker up again :excited:

1 cup mayo

1 cup pineapple juice

pinch of saffron

1/2 cup of oregano

3 tablespoons of salt

Mix the seasonings in a separate bowl, then mix with the mayo and the pineapple juice. Pour the mayp mix into the bottom of the slow cooker. Add veggies and cook on low for 4 hours. Let mixture set overnight then add ham (must be preseasoned spiral cut preferably from a quality place like Heavenly Ham or Whole Foods), bbq sauce, and cut up cheeseburgers (yes, with the bread!). Cook on high for 3 more hours. Mix in baking powder after 3 hours and set to low for 2 more hours. Serve with pita chips and enjoy! Believe me, this is pretty much one of the best dips you will ever taste. It is really worth the effort.
We make this about 8 times a year. Always a big hit and we rarely have leftovers. The saffron pulls it all together. Make sure not to skip it.

1 cup mayo

1 cup pineapple juice

pinch of saffron

1/2 cup of oregano

3 tablespoons of salt

We make this about 8 times a year. Always a big hit and we rarely have leftovers. The saffron pulls it all together. Make sure not to skip it.
Jokes on you brah...I posted Grandpa's famous Jalapeno and Cough Syrup Chicken recipe 4 pages back. Blows this weak sauce dish out of the water.

This or something like it might have been posted. No idea, but anyway...

1 lb. Hot Italian sausage links (best) or ground (use mild if you're a wimp)
4 russet potatoes, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1/4 cup Real bacon pieces (throw the whole bag in)
2 tbsp minced garlic (about 3-4 cloves)
32 oz. chicken broth (because I was short chicken broth, I actually used equal parts chicken/beef/vegetable broth)
1 cup chopped kale
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 tbsp flour

1 tsp salt

1 tsp black pepper

1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

Directions:
1. Brown sausage.
2. Cut links in half lengthwise, then quarter slices (cut sausage into bite size pieces).
3. Place sausage, chicken broth, garlic, potatoes and onion in slow cooker. Add just enough water to cover the vegetables and meat.
4. Cook on high 3-4 hours (low 5-6 hours) until potatoes are soft.
5. Mix flour into cream removing lumps.
6. Add cream and kale to the crock pot, stir.
7. Cook on high 30 minutes or until broth thickens slightly.

8. Add salt, pepper, and cayenne to taste.

tbs of cumin

tbs of chili powder

1/2 tsp of ground close

squeeze of a lime

cup of water

few tbs of olive oil

4 or 5 cloves of garlic

2 tsp oregano

pepper and salt
Interested.
I'll snap some pics as I go.I'm almost certain I should have gone with beef here and not buffalo though. Little fat in the crock pot = tough meat to cook down.
How did the flavors here work out? I know you'd go with beef next time, but otherwise how did this end up?

I'm fighting a cold, I'm up early and the crock pot seems like a good idea today.

It was on page 1 I think but I've done it so many times I have it memorized

3-5 pound chuck roast

Vidalia onion

Jar of Giardinere

Dash of olive oil

Layer bottom of crock with sliced onion and giardiere, I put a little on top too. Low for 8 hours. Shred and remove fat. Put on a solid bun because it's pretty juicy. We usually top with some provolone or pepper jack

Sorry guys....

Reporting back on the barbacoa.

Yes, definitely use beef and not another cut. Chuck roast.

The recipe is very close, I think it's missing one small element and that's a touch of smoke. I would add just a drop or two of liquid smoke to what I posted and I think you're gonna be happy.

Serve as a burrito or in a bowl over rice with salsa and sour cream/cheese/tomatoes/lettuce....whatever you want.

Also....aftwr 8 hours. I recommend shredding it, putting g it back in the crock pot for another 30 to 45 minutes to soak in the juices.

Let me know anyone goes with it

strykerpks said:
It was on page 1 I think but I've done it so many times I have it memorized

3-5 pound chuck roast

Vidalia onion

Jar of Giardinere

Dash of olive oil

Layer bottom of crock with sliced onion and giardiere, I put a little on top too. Low for 8 hours. Shred and remove fat. Put on a solid bun because it's pretty juicy. We usually top with some provolone or pepper jack
Went with a mild giardinera due to not knowing some of the guests tastes. I recommend using a hot giardinera. The meat turned out awesome but it just didn't have the bite I was looking for

In hindsight, I should have done one mild (for the wimps) and one hot

Chicken Enchilada Dip

Two 12.5 oz cans chunk white chicken breast

Two 4.5 oz cans mild green chiles

One 4 oz can diced jalapeno peppers

One 8 oz block cream cheese

One 16 oz container sour cream

Two 10.5 oz cans cream of chicken soup

One 8 oz bag shredded jalapeno cheese

One 8 oz bag shredded pepper jack cheese

You can make this recipe hotter by adding another can of diced jalapenos, substituting another bag of shredded jalapeno for the shredded pepper jack cheese, or for very hot, substituting shredded habanero cheese. Takes less than 2 hours to fully heat on high.

So I haven't had a crock pot for a year, so anythig I should go back and make in particular. I am equal opportunity to beef/chicken/pork/seafood but my girlfriend is strictly bacon/chicken.

Beef tips and mushroom gravy

We had this tonight and loved it. Served it with rice.
Looks good but what's with the Sprite?
Sorry ...I didn't use it, never have. I used homemade beef stock. When I don't have that I use the "Better than Boullion" reduced sodium beef base and halve the brown sugar.
sounds good
Really reminds of the first time I had something like it years ago when I had never tried rice or mushrooms before. Rich and stick to your ribs home cookin' good. Gonna start putting polenta in the rotation instead of rice for this too. We subbed it for pasta in an italian pot roast ragu we made last winter and everyone really liked it. And super easy - either in the pot, loose like mashed potatoes or the slice and bake logs which everyone really liked too.

I'm giving this one a try for the weekend.

Cowboy Casserole

Ingredients
  • ¼ cup diced onion
  • ½ tsp pepper
  • 1 tsp salt
  • ½ tsp Mrs. Dash
  • 1 lbs small red potatoess, sliced thin (about 4-5 small red potatoes),
  • 1 can of cream of mushroom soup
  • 1 lb ground beef browned and drained
  • 1 can of diced tomatoes with liquid
  • 1 cup canned corn, drained
  • 1 can dark red kidney beans, drained
  • 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
Instructions
  1. Place all of the ingredients except the cheese in a 4- 6 quart crockpot and stir well.
  2. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 7-8 hours. Uncover crock-pot and sprinkle shredded cheese over top and recover and let cook an additional 30 minutes.
Makes 4-6 servings so I may double this up.

Pasta Fagioli today

Ingredients
  • 1 pound extra lean ground beef, browned and drained
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 1 cup chopped carrots
  • ½ cup chopped celery
  • 1 can (14 to 15 ounces) diced tomatoes with juice
  • 1 can (14 to 15 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 can (14 to 15 ounces) white beans, rinsed and drained
  • 4 cups beef broth
  • 1 jar (24 to 26 ounces) tomato-basil marinara or pasta sauce
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons oregano
  • ¾ teaspoon hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ½ teaspoon black pepper
  • 1-1/4 cups dry pasta (I used fusilli, but shells or ditalini would work well), cooked separately according to the package directions.
  • ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley, optional for serving
  • Grated Parmesan, optional for serving

Instructions
  1. Stir together the cooked and drained ground beef, onion, carrots, celery, tomatoes, beans, broth, pasta sauce, oregano, hot pepper sauce, salt and pepper in a 6 to 7-quart slow cooker.
  2. Cover and cook on LOW for 5 to 7 hours, or until the vegetables are as tender as you like them.
  3. When ready to serve, stir the cooked pasta into the soup. Taste the soup and adjust the salt and herbs to suit your tastes.
  4. Serve with grated parmesan and a sprinkling of fresh parsley if desired.

Cook's Notes
Nutritional Estimates Per Serving (1-1/4 cups): 238 calories, 3 g fat, 32 g carbs, 9 g fiber, 19 g protein and *5 PointsPlus
Breaking out the slow cooker for the season to make this on Saturday. It was so good last time. Can't wait to have it again!

Anyone recommend a good crockpot? I have one of the ones that seems like it boils the ingredients more was probably in the $35 range. Anything a little more expensive that ups the quality quite a bit, also it needs to hold a good amount.

Pasta Fagioli today

Ingredients
  • 1 pound extra lean ground beef, browned and drained
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 1 cup chopped carrots
  • ½ cup chopped celery
  • 1 can (14 to 15 ounces) diced tomatoes with juice
  • 1 can (14 to 15 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 can (14 to 15 ounces) white beans, rinsed and drained
  • 4 cups beef broth
  • 1 jar (24 to 26 ounces) tomato-basil marinara or pasta sauce
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons oregano
  • ¾ teaspoon hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ½ teaspoon black pepper
  • 1-1/4 cups dry pasta (I used fusilli, but shells or ditalini would work well), cooked separately according to the package directions.
  • ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley, optional for serving
  • Grated Parmesan, optional for serving

Instructions
  1. Stir together the cooked and drained ground beef, onion, carrots, celery, tomatoes, beans, broth, pasta sauce, oregano, hot pepper sauce, salt and pepper in a 6 to 7-quart slow cooker.
  2. Cover and cook on LOW for 5 to 7 hours, or until the vegetables are as tender as you like them.
  3. When ready to serve, stir the cooked pasta into the soup. Taste the soup and adjust the salt and herbs to suit your tastes.
  4. Serve with grated parmesan and a sprinkling of fresh parsley if desired.

Cook's Notes
Nutritional Estimates Per Serving (1-1/4 cups): 238 calories, 3 g fat, 32 g carbs, 9 g fiber, 19 g protein and *5 PointsPlus
Breaking out the slow cooker for the season to make this on Saturday. It was so good last time. Can't wait to have it again!
I made this yesterday. I added more pasta, which made it more like a pasta dish and less like a soup, but still very good.

A lot of these sound awesome but does anyone have preferred *healthy* slow cooker recipes? Obviously it's harder to slow cook the leaner meats since they get dried out, but I found a really good chicken (breast) taco chili one that we had last night which was awesome.
We make this all the time:

South of the Border Shredded Chicken

Ingredients:

2-3 Pounds of Chicken Breasts

1 - Jar of your favorite salsa

1 - Diced Jalapeno (Keep the seeds if you like extra hot)

Juice from 4 limes

1 - TSP of salt

1 - Bunch of cilantro diced w/out stems (we use more because we love the stuff)

Place chicken in CP cover with salsa, jalapenos, lime juice and salt - Cook on low for 4 hours

Shred chicken using this method with cilantro in the bowl

You can either eat this now or return it to the CP and cook it for another hour or two.
Months late but thanks for this. Made it last night and it was great. Only did two limes and that was plenty (had less chicken and we don't do cilantro so maybe that's why it stood on it's own so easily).

Using the LMPP base this morning to make some gringo carnitas. I'll post what I end us using after I shred and add the ingredients. It's simple, basically adding green chiles and some other stuff when normally you'd add the barbecue sauce.
OK, so after the fat discard and shredding stage, we added 3 7.75 oz cans of El Pato Salsa de Chili fresco and 3 four oz. cans of Hatch diced green chiles. Later we'll add some salt and onion powder to taste. This was for about a 6-7 pound roast, but it's versatile. We'll keep it on low for at least another hour or two. We've done it before and it's always kind of vague, but you can't go wrong if you stay close to this. Then just eat them any way you'd eat carnitas.
Bump. Pivoting from the grill to this today with rain on the horizon. Had tacos last night so we already have the side items.
Anyone tried this yet? I did it again on Sunday and am still eating leftovers. It's really, really good and easy. I found these tortillas to be the perfect low carb option (only 50 calories per, as well) to go with them:

http://www.amazon.com/Xtreme-Wellness-Hifiber-Carb-Wraps/dp/B00KAOQ7XK

I'd be interested to see what others think.

Crisis hit my house!! Two weeks ago I hit the edge of my newer large pot on the sink when washing it and the side of it cracked off. Fast forward to this last weekend, my old dependable pot we got as a wedding gift 23 years ago just decided to die. All I am left with are two small ones--so time to start shopping for a new one now.

Chicken Enchilada Dip

Two 12.5 oz cans chunk white chicken breast

Two 4.5 oz cans mild green chiles

One 4 oz can diced jalapeno peppers

One 8 oz block cream cheese

One 16 oz container sour cream

Two 10.5 oz cans cream of chicken soup

One 8 oz bag shredded jalapeno cheese

One 8 oz bag shredded pepper jack cheese

You can make this recipe hotter by adding another can of diced jalapenos, substituting another bag of shredded jalapeno for the shredded pepper jack cheese, or for very hot, substituting shredded habanero cheese. Takes less than 2 hours to fully heat on high.
will have to try this

Going to start trying to create my perfect chili recipe. Any places to start? Also, how do people feel about using a meat other than ground beef?

Going to start trying to create my perfect chili recipe. Any places to start? Also, how do people feel about using a meat other than ground beef?
Big fan of using stew beef or something similar cut to small cubes, or a very coarse grind instead of normal grocery ground beef. Mixing in some sausage can go nicely as well.

Big fan of using stew beef or something similar cut to small cubes, or a very coarse grind instead of normal grocery ground beef. Mixing in some sausage can go nicely as well.
Usually do ground beef, sausage, and bacon in my chili
Oo bacon is a great idea.

Get a can of Wolf brand chili, pour in crock pot, enjoy.

Lol just kidding. I've never been a chili fan but had a can of that recently and it was good.

I would use can chili for chili dogs.. that's about it and only if there is nothing else around

usually go with hormell bean less for that

Users who are viewing this thread