What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Wire (3 Viewers)

Marc Levin said:
I keep getting the feeling that McNulty will end up back in the Major Crimes office next year.
I agree. Seems like the scene last week where he questioned Carcetti ended with McNulty thinking he (Carcetti) might be for real--if so, that might validate Major Crimes once again for him.

Marc Levin said:
I keep getting the feeling that McNulty will end up back in the Major Crimes office next year.
I agree. Seems like the scene last week where he questioned Carcetti ended with McNulty thinking he (Carcetti) might be for real--if so, that might validate Major Crimes once again for him.
i wasnt sure if that was in this or next weeks episode so didnt want to discuss yeti totally agree that shot slowly narrowed in on mcnulty as carcetti was talking about getting rid of the big dogs if they wont do what carcetti wantsgreat scenemcnutty will be back in major crimes next year

Some stuff from the book

Bubbles led to more than 500 arrest for the FBI, Baltimore, NYPD, or other agencies. That seems sooo high to me. He passed away and Simon had to pull some strings to get an obit in the paper for him.

Little Melvin Williams is a drug dealer that just in the little bit they talk about in the book, is really an interesting guy.

Google him if you'd like

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=l...liams+baltimore

The actor that plays Omar was a dancer. Frank Sobotka actor was 39 and needed extensive makeup to look older.

Also, at the HBO boards David Simon used to reply to Qs.

http://boards.hbo.com/thread.jspa?threadID...25&start=45
Melvin Williams is who they modeled Avons character after. He is actually on the show as the deacon working with Bunny.

where'd the Wire fans go?
HUGE fan of the show. I've been wanting to join this discussion all season, but I am about 4 shows behind on my TiVo. I think I am going to read the thread carefully to avoid spoilers and comment sporadically.

AHA! I figured it out.Ever have one of those moments where you recognize someone but can't place him? Well I'm so into this show you'd think I knew the guys.Anyhow, that familiar face with Prop Joe was Cheese. The dealer that torched Ziggy's car back in season 2.Remember Prop Joe met with the greek's boy in season 2?Lots of "how will they tie the docks in with this altogether" thoughts are racing through my head. Ziggy isn't even acting but plays in some band that stinks named Early Man. I just read that.Valcheck is involved lately even if small parts, Beadie is McNulty's chick.It's definitely coming together but just small bits and pieces. What do you think comes next?The older Sobotka son? He's out of work or doing something else if the grain pier is now condos. The greek meets Omar? What story lines do you guys think are coming?ORam I totally off base here
you know cheeze is method man from wu tang clan right?

good readings on hbo.com:

The team of talented believers who create The Wire are not your average Hollywood types. So just how do they create a drama series so unique that it is routinely called the best on television? HBO.com takes you On the Set for an exclusive, insider's view of how a season comes to life.

http://www.hbo.com/thewire/behindthescenes...insidehbo1_text
The Wire podcasts on iTunes are fantastic. Check 'em.

Fiddles said:
Some stuff from the book

Bubbles led to more than 500 arrest for the FBI, Baltimore, NYPD, or other agencies. That seems sooo high to me. He passed away and Simon had to pull some strings to get an obit in the paper for him.

Little Melvin Williams is a drug dealer that just in the little bit they talk about in the book, is really an interesting guy.

Google him if you'd like

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=l...liams+baltimore

The actor that plays Omar was a dancer. Frank Sobotka actor was 39 and needed extensive makeup to look older.

Also, at the HBO boards David Simon used to reply to Qs.

http://boards.hbo.com/thread.jspa?threadID...25&start=45
Melvin Williams is who they modeled Avons character after. He is actually on the show as the deacon working with Bunny.
:thumbup: Yeah - I remember that from "The Game"

Fiddles said:
AHA! I figured it out.Ever have one of those moments where you recognize someone but can't place him? Well I'm so into this show you'd think I knew the guys.Anyhow, that familiar face with Prop Joe was Cheese. The dealer that torched Ziggy's car back in season 2.Remember Prop Joe met with the greek's boy in season 2?Lots of "how will they tie the docks in with this altogether" thoughts are racing through my head. Ziggy isn't even acting but plays in some band that stinks named Early Man. I just read that.Valcheck is involved lately even if small parts, Beadie is McNulty's chick.It's definitely coming together but just small bits and pieces. What do you think comes next?The older Sobotka son? He's out of work or doing something else if the grain pier is now condos. The greek meets Omar? What story lines do you guys think are coming?ORam I totally off base here
you know cheeze is method man from wu tang clan right?
:thumbup:I thought he looked familiar for more than the show - I didn't put that connection together.

Do u guys think Avon will be back next year?

i finally recalled where i had seen OMAR before, from the R Kelly 45 minute music video

Minotauro said:
jdoggydogg said:
Best show on TV... period.
This is a fact. And I'd add that it's by far the best cop show ever.
I liked the quote by David Simon on one of the behind the scenes shows where he said:"It could have, if we had done everything wrong, been a cop show."
The most shocking part of the podcast is where Simon says the situation in Baltimore is worse than is portrayed on The Wire. Pretty frightening.

Fiddles said:
:thumbup:Yeah - I remember that from "The Game"
Colesberry is that guy that was sent by Rawls to rat out/keep an eye on Jimmy in season 1, right?I know he passed away just trying to figure out which character he played

Colesberry is that guy that was sent by Rawls to rat out/keep an eye on Jimmy in season 1, right?I know he passed away just trying to figure out which character he played
I don't know - Williams was the deacon who was advising Cutty.I don't know if his name was "Colesberry," but that white guy is still alive and he was dropped to patrol after he betrayed spying on Jimmy for Rawls. He was in the most recent episode in the scene where Calcutti is talking to the patrollers and McNullty speaks up - he's one of the patrollers who was jawing back and forth about the guy's wife with fleas and whatnot.

I don't know - Williams was the deacon who was advising Cutty.I don't know if his name was "Colesberry," but that white guy is still alive and he was dropped to patrol after he betrayed spying on Jimmy for Rawls. He was in the most recent episode in the scene where Calcutti is talking to the patrollers and McNullty speaks up - he's one of the patrollers who was jawing back and forth about the guy's wife with fleas and whatnot.
different guy, just in asking in a similar trivia vein

I *think* the guy you may be referring to who died is one of the two white guys who were nbly concerned with getting OT. One got early pension after Brodie punched him, the other was contemplating throwing himself down the stairwell - both in season one.

Those two had the BEST Baltimore accents on theshow -probably genuine Baltimorians (Baltimorons?)

Is that one of the guys to whom you were referring.

what an episode! I wonderred why they were hunting him to start, glad it was just paintballs.

There was so much laid out there they can't possibly tie it all up next week....we're gonna be left hanging.

Naymon, feel bad for me, yeah right. How pathetic that that little tiny guy ripped him off.

In next week's preview, who is Bodie shooting at? Young guy whose father was just killed last week and seems to be a pretty good fighter, the one in the openning scene?

In the preview too, McNulty seems to get pulled back into it as someone here predicted. I was expecting that in the bar scene but as ya know it didn't happen.

good readings on hbo.com:

The team of talented believers who create The Wire are not your average Hollywood types. So just how do they create a drama series so unique that it is routinely called the best on television? HBO.com takes you On the Set for an exclusive, insider's view of how a season comes to life.

http://www.hbo.com/thewire/behindthescenes...insidehbo1_text
the article about the coach was interestingtalks about how all of the kids plus about 30 other actors on the wire came from an acting school that robert chew (prop joe) teaches music and acting at. also prop joe is the acting coach on set for the 4 main kids.

After spending all of this past summer catching up on the first 3 seasons of The Wire, I was pumped for Season 4 to begin. Somewhere in the midst of episode 4, I got off track and haven't watched an episode since. I had them all Tivo'd but for one reason or another, had other things to watch and the older shows were deleted. I decided to torrent the previous episodes that I no longer had on my DVR and watched episode 4 today with 5-6-7 on my hard drive and 8-9-10-11 loaded up on BitTorrent tonight for d/l'ing.

I have been jonesing a bit for The Wire and feel good that things are back on track and I should be caught back up in no time.

Just re-watching episode 4 reminded me of how good this show is compared to most of the other crap on the telly today.

GB The Wire.

watched the finale last night on demand

man its good anxous for discussion next monday

its close to 90 mins.

doing some wire research since theres no one to discuss with here :cry:

found this blog: (doesn't disucss the finale yet)

http://athousandcorners.blogspot.com/

also found this: (seems like the show would be neutered quite a bit to air on non standard cable)

HBO is making a deal with BET that will allow the Viacom-owned cable network to rerun episodes of Time Warner-owned HBO's The Wire, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

The deal will likely give BET all five seasons--62 episodes in all--of Wire. The series is currently in its fourth season, and HBO has already ordered a fifth and final season.

The Reporter hints that Wire would get around $100,000 per episode, unlike HBO's big ratings hits Sopranos and Sex and the City, which drew in millions of dollars for syndication rights.

Last edited by a moderator:
doing some wire research since theres no one to discuss with here :cry:

found this blog: (doesn't disucss the finale yet)

http://athousandcorners.blogspot.com/

also found this: (seems like the show would be neutered quite a bit to air on non standard cable)

HBO is making a deal with BET that will allow the Viacom-owned cable network to rerun episodes of Time Warner-owned HBO's The Wire, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

The deal will likely give BET all five seasons--62 episodes in all--of Wire. The series is currently in its fourth season, and HBO has already ordered a fifth and final season.

The Reporter hints that Wire would get around $100,000 per episode, unlike HBO's big ratings hits Sopranos and Sex and the City, which drew in millions of dollars for syndication rights.
100k is puny.FX should jump right in and put it on before the Shield.

:cry:

mytagid = Math.floor( Math.random() * 100 );document.write("

THEY KILLED BODIE!!!

*** SPOILER ALERT! Click this link to display the potential spoiler text in this box. ***");document.close();

:angry: :wall: :angry:

THEY KILLED BODIE!!!

*** SPOILER ALERT! Click this link to display the potential spoiler text in this box. ***");document.close();

ya that definately sucked but i think you could see it coming its what really happens at any rate

interview with david simon on dec 1st

Behind The Wire

David Simon on where the show goes next.

http://www.slate.com/id/2154694/nav/tap1/
I enjoyed this exchange, which pretty much sums up what I was trying to say earlier in the thread:
Slate: One thing that struck me about the show, from the get-go—and this may sound like base flattery: It reminded me of Shakespearean drama for the way that even the villains are humanized. No one is just a bad guy. Even Avon, whom I loathed at the opening of Season 1, I came to like.

Simon: It's funny you should say that, because the portrayals in Deadwood are in the Shakespearean model. On The Sopranos, there's an awful lot of Hamlet and Macbeth in Tony. But the guys we were stealing from in The Wire are the Greeks. In our heads we're writing a Greek tragedy, but instead of the gods being petulant and jealous Olympians hurling lightning bolts down at our protagonists, it's the Postmodern institutions that are the gods. And they are gods. And no one is bigger.

THEY KILLED BODIE!!!

pissed I clicked on that, need to work on willpower :bag:

wow, episode 49 was tough to watch.

i really feel for these kids.

and i just saw 50 (the finale) on svod...and oh my gawd.

best show on tv

bring on season 5.

24 hours.

I was invited to a friends house on Tues (when the following week come on demand), but I'm using willpower to increase my anticipation factor.

man oh man what a depressing episode that was

They killed everyone I liked and whoever they didn't kill they beat up

its here...

bubbs accidently killing his boy was pure greek tragedy.

letting bubbs go and not worring about the stats, means things are changing...no more juking stats, mcnulty was right cops are the last true dictatorship.

omar steals the whole package? and then sells it back to the drug dealers...genius.

you can tell the end is coming in season 5, full circle people...the greek, omar,mcnulty...major crimes.

....does barksdale come back...he only went in for the paroll violation right? 5 years...maby he only gets 2.

the boys

is it just me or does this make you want to adopt a kid out of baltimore...why do we send money around the world when our own people are dying in our cities.

poor, poor randy

namien...way for we-boy to man up and save a future for his son, did we see a little regret in namien eyes when he saw the young buck in the stolen car?

mike, is hard...will he take over?

was that a gentle dig at deadwood and its higher profile..."ha, ha...he called him ##########"

cutty, i mean dennis wise and the nurse...man he moves quick.

boodie...dead.

setting up the media frenzy now...24 dead bodies found in the buildings...yeah there will be a news frenzy on that.

man oh man what a depressing episode that wasThey killed everyone I liked and whoever they didn't kill they beat up
who was it that Michael killed face-to-face at the end?
I was wonderring that myselfKinda looked like the guy that beat on Bubs but there'd be no reason behind that
im pretty sure it was nobody...1st one is supposed to be someone you dont know

man oh man what a depressing episode that wasThey killed everyone I liked and whoever they didn't kill they beat up
who was it that Michael killed face-to-face at the end?
I was wonderring that myselfKinda looked like the guy that beat on Bubs but there'd be no reason behind that
Came to ask the same question. I do think it was the guy beating on Bubs, and there is no reason that we would know, and I think that's the point.This episode upset me more than any hour of TV I can remember in a long time, not that there were many surprises. The point is well taken, what we're doing in this country to combat this crap is worthless. Cowards are in control.

Mike didn't seem enthused about taking over a corner. I'd bet he wants to be snoop.

BTW Didn't know she was a les

This episode upset me more than any hour of TV I can remember in a long time, not that there were many surprises. The point is well taken, what we're doing in this country to combat this crap is worthless. Cowards are in control.
I agree.I would like to ask some cop how realistic it is and how much dramatic license they're taking.I noticed the new development Namon is in now and Mike too that follows the book.Bubs in real life killed the guy bugging him with a cyanide like fake drug too so it threw me, glad they changed it up/sad that nice kid died

Users who are viewing this thread