What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty Rankings (6 Viewers)

Bradshaw is a tricky commodity. Wide range of viewpoints on him that can all be supported. Young, talented, plays for a decent team, but he splits carries, might not rack up a lot of scores, hasn't carried the load yet. Pretty big trade involving him in my dynasty league this morning:Team A trades: Jay Cutler, Ahmad Bradshaw, Greg JenningsTeam B trades: Ray Rice, Tashard ChoiceTeam A with enough depth to cover the loss of Cutler/Jennings, Team B needed to fill a lot of holes. Like any trade involving Bradshaw, though, the winner of the deal will be determined by how he pans out this year.
Yipes, this one might be more lopsided than the other one. Of course i feel that way because i really like Bradshaw. I also dont like Rice as much as most.
Looking at the players without looking at the teams, I agree, Team B is getting the better haul (but to me, only slightly). Just a situation where Team A has Romo at QB, and Marshall, DeShaun Jackson, Steve Smith (Car), Knox and Garcon at WR. In any case, Bradshaw is a bigger risk/reward player than I think he's made out to be. Maybe the most intriguing player in dynasty THIS year because unlike guys like Felix Jones and Spiller who seem firmly locked into splitting carries, Bradshaw could become anything from a dominant RB1 to solidifying himself as an erratic 12 carry a game fill-in.

The first point was that it's silly to suggest that Vick is "old". The second point is that Vick is an underrated passer and it's silly to suggest that he could never be an effective passer. I'm sure plenty of people would have once said Randall Cunningham could never develop into an adequate passer, too... right up until he dropped a 3700/34 on them.
:goodposting:In his glory years with the Eagles, Randall was throwing for yards and TDs. Had a 3800 yard season. Had a 30 TD season. He wasn't accurate but he was moving the ball through the air. Compared to Vick who has never broken 3000 yards and highest TD season is 20 in an era which is more pass friendly. The theory "Randall could be a good QB after he lost a legs" therefore "Vick could be a QB after he lost his legs" isn't really that sound.
His efficiency stats were pretty much identical to Vick's. If Vick ever had 560 pass attempts, I'm sure he'd have some 3500+ seasons, too. Unfortunately for Vick, he's only once attempted more than 400 passes in his career- a whopping 420 passing attempts way back in 2002. I just think a lot of people are confusing "has never been asked to pass" with "can't pass". Historically, Michael Vick has been as effective of a passer as an Eli Manning or a Randall Cunningham.

Just dropped Sproles for Tate ... thanks to SSOG. Hope it winds up OK.

My depth at RB is awful so I need some help.

I have:

Chris Johnson

Michael Turner

Julius Jones

Steve Slaton

Ricky Williams

I only have to start 1 RB, but my WRs don't offer enough depth to really start 4 of them.

I have:

Anquan Boldin

Steve Breaston

Malcolm Floyd

Michael Jenkins

Jacoby Jones

James Jones

Brandon Tate

Mike Wallace

Roy Williams

Among the RBs available are Ben-Jarvis Green-Ellis, Kevin Faulk, LaRod Stephens-Howling and John Kuhn.

Any of the guys I have worth cutting for Ellis, Faulk, et. al?

I've read this thread for a long time, and consider its audience about the most knowledgeable dynasty brains going. OK now that I've buttered you all up, perhaps you'll allow me to ask for help. In a 16 team dynasty league with 45 man rosters, PPR and IDPs, the relevant parts of my team are:

Aaron Rodgers

Matt Schaub

Derek Anderson

Adrian Peterson

Ahmad Bradshaw

Leon Washington

Miles Austin

Randy Moss

Pierre Garcon

Malcolm Floyd

Brent Celek

Would you trade Schaub + your 2011 1st for Jonathan Stewart? I made the playoffs last year. Appreciate any insights. Thanks.

I've read this thread for a long time, and consider its audience about the most knowledgeable dynasty brains going. OK now that I've buttered you all up, perhaps you'll allow me to ask for help. In a 16 team dynasty league with 45 man rosters, PPR and IDPs, the relevant parts of my team are: Aaron RodgersMatt SchaubDerek AndersonAdrian PetersonAhmad BradshawLeon WashingtonMiles AustinRandy MossPierre GarconMalcolm FloydBrent CelekWould you trade Schaub + your 2011 1st for Jonathan Stewart? I made the playoffs last year. Appreciate any insights. Thanks.
yes, without thinking twice. your 1st rounder is going to be late in the round.

I think you're selling Edelman way short here. Reminds of everyone selling Austin Collie short all season last year and into this offseason.
Maybe, but I watched his 8 reception game last season, and while everyone was busy saying "he looks just like Wes Welker!" I was busy thinking "he looks like 70% of Wes Welker". And I'm not sure 70% of Wes Welker is good enough to be fantasy relevant. I'm also sure that there's some confirmation bias at work here, but when Brandon Tate is essentially locking up the #3 job before preseason even kicks off, that just reaffirms to me that he's the stronger talent.
I agree with the jist of what you're saying about the ridiculousness of the whole "Wes Welker clone" rhetoric, but what you need to remember is that Edleman was a rookie that was a converted college QB - so it was rather impressive that he could step right in and produce.

Last edited by a moderator:
Michael Vick has 38 rushes/sacks in the last 3 and a half years combined. If hits wear a body down, then Vick must be a very, very "young 30".
Just to clarify, I'm not suggesting that Vick is "old" because of the abuse that he takes as a runner. By an "old 30" what I'm implying is that his shelf life as a fantasy producer is rapidly coming to an end. He will lose some speed and explosiveness as he ages and I don't think his passing ability is good enough to get him by once his running skills diminish.Suggesting that a fe random stats shows he's just as effective as a passer as some one like Eli Manning doesn't hold water either imo. So what if he's able to average just as many yards per attempt or completion when he doesn't throw nearly as often nor does he make proper decisions and/or throw an accurate ball. You're also failing to realize that Eli has shown marked improvement as a passer over the years, Vick not so much.I admit he's a far better runner than McNabb, McNair and maybe Cunningham ever were, but those guys had to develop into pocket passers as the years wore on because frankly they could no longer dominate with their aging legs.Could Vick develop into a legit passer? I guess it's possible, but at 30 when will the switch turn on?I own Vick in one league, so I don't hate what he brings to the table - I just don't consider him a long term fantasy (or NFL) QB.

This is a great move because Sproles is never going to have high value. Sproles' only fantasy value is as an emergency backup. You should always cut guys like Sproles for upside. It's hard because Sproles gets more touches than Tate right now, but it's the right thing to do.That said I would have dropped Julius Jones first by a long shot.
My depth at RB is awful so I need some help.I have: <snip>I only have to start 1 RB, but my WRs don't offer enough depth to really start 4 of them.I have:<snipt>Among the RBs available are Ben-Jarvis Green-Ellis, Kevin Faulk, LaRod Stephens-Howling and John Kuhn.Any of the guys I have worth cutting for Ellis, Faulk, et. al?
Michael Jenkins and Roy Williams are guys I don't want on my roster. But none of those RBs are worth adding either. Either drop them for longer term projects at WR/TE (Stephen Williams would be a great add for a Breaston owner) or offer Roy up to a Cowboys homer for a better garbage RB like Starks, Redman, Rashad Jennings.

thriftyrocker said:
bweiser said:
This is a great move because Sproles is never going to have high value. Sproles' only fantasy value is as an emergency backup. You should always cut guys like Sproles for upside. It's hard because Sproles gets more touches than Tate right now, but it's the right thing to do.That said I would have dropped Julius Jones first by a long shot.
My depth at RB is awful so I need some help.I have: <snip>I only have to start 1 RB, but my WRs don't offer enough depth to really start 4 of them.I have:<snipt>Among the RBs available are Ben-Jarvis Green-Ellis, Kevin Faulk, LaRod Stephens-Howling and John Kuhn.Any of the guys I have worth cutting for Ellis, Faulk, et. al?
Michael Jenkins and Roy Williams are guys I don't want on my roster. But none of those RBs are worth adding either. Either drop them for longer term projects at WR/TE (Stephen Williams would be a great add for a Breaston owner) or offer Roy up to a Cowboys homer for a better garbage RB like Starks, Redman, Rashad Jennings.
Thanks. I took this team over this offseason. We also have a taxi squad of college players and I have Trent Richardson and Saine from TOSU coming up as RBs ... but I'm screwed if CJ or Turner gets hurt.

SSOG said:
thriftyrocker said:
SSOG said:
The first point was that it's silly to suggest that Vick is "old". The second point is that Vick is an underrated passer and it's silly to suggest that he could never be an effective passer. I'm sure plenty of people would have once said Randall Cunningham could never develop into an adequate passer, too... right up until he dropped a 3700/34 on them.
:deadhorse: In his glory years with the Eagles, Randall was throwing for yards and TDs. Had a 3800 yard season. Had a 30 TD season. He wasn't accurate but he was moving the ball through the air. Compared to Vick who has never broken 3000 yards and highest TD season is 20 in an era which is more pass friendly. The theory "Randall could be a good QB after he lost a legs" therefore "Vick could be a QB after he lost his legs" isn't really that sound.
His efficiency stats were pretty much identical to Vick's. If Vick ever had 560 pass attempts, I'm sure he'd have some 3500+ seasons, too. Unfortunately for Vick, he's only once attempted more than 400 passes in his career- a whopping 420 passing attempts way back in 2002. I just think a lot of people are confusing "has never been asked to pass" with "can't pass". Historically, Michael Vick has been as effective of a passer as an Eli Manning or a Randall Cunningham.
Sometimes you have to watch the games and not rely so much on statistics. Not only is Vick one of the most inaccurate passers ever, he cant read a defense to save his life. Its pretty easy to have a decent completion percentage when you drop back to pass and take off when your initial read isnt wide open. Thats the reason he attempts less passes than everyone else and why he will never throw for 3500 yards. He is asked to throw as much as every other QB, he is just incapable of doing so.

thriftyrocker said:
bweiser said:
Added S. Williams, cut Jenkins. I hope that doesn't bite me in the ### when I need Jenkins to fill in for a bye or something.

Dr. Octopus said:
Suggesting that a fe random stats shows he's just as effective as a passer as some one like Eli Manning doesn't hold water either imo. So what if he's able to average just as many yards per attempt or completion when he doesn't throw nearly as often nor does he make proper decisions and/or throw an accurate ball. You're also failing to realize that Eli has shown marked improvement as a passer over the years, Vick not so much.I admit he's a far better runner than McNabb, McNair and maybe Cunningham ever were, but those guys had to develop into pocket passers as the years wore on because frankly they could no longer dominate with their aging legs.Could Vick develop into a legit passer? I guess it's possible, but at 30 when will the switch turn on?I own Vick in one league, so I don't hate what he brings to the table - I just don't consider him a long term fantasy (or NFL) QB.
I'm not "failing to realize" that Manning has made a marked improvement. That was the point I was making. Eli Manning made a marked improvement after 5 years in the league. Eli played 5 years without ever topping 7 ypa, and then suddenly his ypa jumped to 7.9. Why can't Michael Vick, who has essentially been as effective to date as Manning has, also improve? Eli Manning didn't "make the jump" until he was 28 years old. Michael Vick was serving the second year of his suspension at age 28. He might have made the exact same jump as Eli did had he remained in the league. Hell, it's possible that he *HAS* made the same jump as Eli has. We're essentially judging Michael Vick the passer based on what he did 4 years ago, as a 26 year old in 2006. How about we at least give him a couple of games to see how good of a passer he really is before declaring him a hopelessly impossible passer? Everyone is being awfully quick to bury a guy who has attempted 27 passes in the last 4 years.

JAK Straw said:
I've read this thread for a long time, and consider its audience about the most knowledgeable dynasty brains going. OK now that I've buttered you all up, perhaps you'll allow me to ask for help. In a 16 team dynasty league with 45 man rosters, PPR and IDPs, the relevant parts of my team are: Aaron RodgersMatt SchaubDerek AndersonAdrian PetersonAhmad BradshawLeon WashingtonMiles AustinRandy MossPierre GarconMalcolm FloydBrent CelekWould you trade Schaub + your 2011 1st for Jonathan Stewart? I made the playoffs last year. Appreciate any insights. Thanks.
Slam dunk.

WiDDoW_MaKeR said:
Sounds great to me. I picked him up in 2 of my 4 money leagues with the hopes of this happening. This works out perfect for him to go to the Vikings. Bye in week 4... that will give him time to get there... get some good practice in... and actually have just about as much chemistry with Favre as any other receiver onthe team.
JAK Straw said:
Slam dunk.
The guy in my league wanted 4 1st round picks for Stewart this off season. Yes is your answer

Brandon Jackson going forward for this season and the future. Is he worth dumping nearly my entire FA budget in hopes he has a solid season and GB won't replace him the remainder of the year ?

I am in a high stakes dynasty league and need some good advice. My RB's blow for this year so I can either grab Jackson by blowing almost all my FA money or I can wait it out hope for another RB to come out of the woodworks.

My RB's are Stewart, Harrison, Chester Taylor, Ringer, Maroney and Larry Johson

We are only allowed 20 roster spots so players will be out there on the wire at times this season but not sure any other RB (most back ups are taken) will be as valuable the rest of the way.

I was surprised the Grant owner did not back him up.

I just am torn on this because Jackson has done nothing in 4 years so I don't want to waste all my money week 1 but then again my team needs a RB bad.

Thoughts on if you were me would you drop 80% of your FA money in week 1 on Jackson ?

Thanks

Again, I'm extremely confident that VJax's next contract is in the Brandon Marshall neighborhood. I'd bet on it. Vincent Jackson has said he wants a contract in that neighborhood, and teams are still interested, which means they think he must be worth a contract in that neighborhood. They haven't hammered out the specifics yet, but they will, and when they do, Vincent Jackson will be one of the 5 highest-paid WRs in the NFL. Is he yet? Of course not, but isn't this whole hobby about anticipating what's going to happen before it happens?
While I may agree with you that he gets a big deal, you're sort of missing my point. You presented evidence that he wants (and should get) a big long term contract as evidence that we should view him as elite.
Why is a guy who's put up on average 1,050 yards/ 8td's on average over his past 2 "career years" viewed as such a stud.
...Because he's asking for a stud-level contract and teams are still interested in acquiring him (implying they think he's worth it)?
And yet, you continually dismiss Marshall as an elite talent even though Marshall already has the deal that VJ wants. If VJax's potential contract is at all relevant in our evaluation of him as a potential elite WR, then maybe it's time to rethink Marshall too.

And yet, you continually dismiss Marshall as an elite talent even though Marshall already has the deal that VJ wants. If VJax's potential contract is at all relevant in our evaluation of him as a potential elite WR, then maybe it's time to rethink Marshall too.
Again, this is a ridiculous argument. Brandon Marshall is currently WR7 in my rankings despite never finishing higher than WR9 in any season to date, so obviously I think he's got something going for him. I'm not denying his talent in the slightest, other than saying that I think VJax is a better talent... but a guy can be elite even if another guy is more elite.Seriously, this is absolutely ridiculous. He's SEVENTH in my rankings, people. SEVENTH. If the police had been called to incidents involving Brandon Marshall fewer than 12 times already, there's a very good chance he'd be higher than that.What do I need to rethink, here? I'm getting called out because I've "only" got a guy who has never finished higher than 9th and who has a rap sheet that reads like War and Peace sitting at 7th in my WR rankings. How high do I need to put him before I'm not an illogical hater?

In my PPR leagues Marshall's year end finishes have been:

2009 - WR7

2008 - WR5

2007 - WR9

Fitzgerald is the only other WR to finish top ten all three seasons. Welker, Wayne, White, Moss, and Andre have done it twice. Wayne barely missed in 2008 and AJ probably would've done it if not injured in 2007. Still, you can make a case that Marshall's youth/production combination is second only to Larry Fitzgerald. He's significantly younger than Wayne/Welker/AJ/White. He has more elite seasons under his belt than the likes of Austin/Rice/Dez. It wouldn't be out of line to rank him as dynasty WR2 if you're confident that his character issues/injuries won't derail his career.

2009 - WR7

2008 - WR5

2007 - WR9

Fitzgerald is the only other WR to finish top ten all three seasons. Welker, Wayne, White, Moss, and Andre have done it twice. Wayne barely missed in 2008 and AJ probably would've done it if not injured in 2007. Still, you can make a case that Marshall's youth/production combination is second only to Larry Fitzgerald. He's significantly younger than Wayne/Welker/AJ/White. He has more elite seasons under his belt than the likes of Austin/Rice/Dez. It wouldn't be out of line to rank him as dynasty WR2 if you're confident that his character issues/injuries won't derail his career.
Except for the fact that I clearly state that my rankings are all non-PPR, and the fact that I absolutely abhor the entire PPR scoring system because I think catches are non-statistics. In non-PPR leagues (the leagues my rankings are designed to cover), Marshall has finished 9th, 11th, and 9th over the last 3 years. He's had 12 run-ins with the law (not an exaggeration: literally 12), he's had surgery on both of his hips over the last two seasons, and he's leaving the confines of the pass-friendly system that got him those fantasy finishes and entering a much more pass-unfriendly system. And despite all of that, I have him 7th. And I'm somehow taking flak for being too low on him.

2009 - WR7

2008 - WR5

2007 - WR9

Except for the fact that I clearly state that my rankings are all non-PPR, and the fact that I absolutely abhor the entire PPR scoring system because I think catches are non-statistics. In non-PPR leagues (the leagues my rankings are designed to cover), Marshall has finished 9th, 11th, and 9th over the last 3 years. He's had 12 run-ins with the law (not an exaggeration: literally 12), he's had surgery on both of his hips over the last two seasons, and he's leaving the confines of the pass-friendly system that got him those fantasy finishes and entering a much more pass-unfriendly system. And despite all of that, I have him 7th. And I'm somehow taking flak for being too low on him.
How are you taking flak for that when you still have Fitz #1? :goodposting:

ssog will fight to the death on marshall. he'll be the guy in the back of the room when marshallgets inducted into the hof, yelling "he's got a high knucklehead factor!"

HenryMuto said:
Brandon Jackson going forward for this season and the future. Is he worth dumping nearly my entire FA budget in hopes he has a solid season and GB won't replace him the remainder of the year ?
No. He's a role player and a very poor bet to stay healthy with a feature-back workload.

ssog will fight to the death on marshall. he'll be the guy in the back of the room when marshallgets inducted into the hof, yelling "he's got a high knucklehead factor!"
What more do you Marshall fans want from the guy, he has him ranked 7th. I personally think he has him a few spots too high.

Again, this is a ridiculous argument. Brandon Marshall is currently WR7 in my rankings despite never finishing higher than WR9 in any season to date, so obviously I think he's got something going for him. I'm not denying his talent in the slightest, other than saying that I think VJax is a better talent... but a guy can be elite even if another guy is more elite.Seriously, this is absolutely ridiculous. He's SEVENTH in my rankings, people. SEVENTH. If the police had been called to incidents involving Brandon Marshall fewer than 12 times already, there's a very good chance he'd be higher than that.What do I need to rethink, here? I'm getting called out because I've "only" got a guy who has never finished higher than 9th and who has a rap sheet that reads like War and Peace sitting at 7th in my WR rankings. How high do I need to put him before I'm not an illogical hater?
I haven't looked at your rankings lately - if you have him 7th now, then I apologize, though I was pretty sure you had him much lower in the past (over the offseason, etc). I also noticed you now have VJ behind him, which wasn't the case before (and your comments suggest just that). In any case - this particular discussion arose from a comparison between Marshall and VJax, and you're the one who put forth the contract example. We all know your VJ love is strong... me, I don't really have a dog in this race except that I think VJ is overrated. Personally, I don't believe that contract should be weighed that heavily in evaluation. Sure, it's some evidence on how at least one NFL team views a player's value, but then we've also have PLENTY of examples of bad contracts over the years. Rankings aside, you and F&L in particularly have repeatedly dismissed Marshall over character concerns and stats, and yet for some reason seem willing to overlook these for VJax even as he's suspended and holding out. Marshall was charged but acquitted, while VJax plead guilty to a DUI while on probation for a DUI. (And yes, I went to law school so I know there's more nuance behind the meaning of a guilty plea). Marshall has a big contract, while VJ wants a big contract. Miami already gave up two 2nd rounders for Marshall, while others haven't traded for VJ even though SD's asking price is now much lower. So, no - my argument is not ridiculous. If you think VJ's talent is greater than Marshall's based on on-field evaluation - as you indicated in your ranking comments - I won't argue with you because it's subjective. The thing I have an issue with is using an objective factor like stats or a contract in favor of one player, but ignoring it for another player. Frankly, it's not worth discussing anymore more. And again, I apologize because I did think you had Marshall much lower. With a few exceptions, I think we're actually pretty close in our rankings - though even before the holdout ugliness, I would have taken Marshall over VJax every time. -- And I know it's rhetoric, but elite means best of the best. Yes, more than one player can be elite, but very good != elite. When I say elite, I'm usually referring to the top 5, sometimes less.

What more do you Marshall fans want from the guy, he has him ranked 7th. I personally think he has him a few spots too high.
he has no choice to put him in his top 10. he would look silly if he wasn't in his top 10, but he has been kicking and screaming the entire time while getting him there.

he has no choice to put him in his top 10. he would look silly if he wasn't in his top 10, but he has been kicking and screaming the entire time while getting him there.
I think the only reason he has been "kicking and screaming" is because people keep harrassing him about his ranking. Plus, arent his concerns about Marshall legitimate?If it wasnt for Rice's injury, Marshall wouldnt be in my top 10. I dont think its that crazy, in non-ppr's anyway. I dont see how anyone can have Marshall ranked ahead of any of the follwing 7:Andre JohnsonCalvin JohnsonMiles AustinDesean JacksonLarry FitzgeraldGreg JenningsRoddy WhiteThere is another 6-7 WR's i could see people ranking above him as well.

I think the only reason he has been "kicking and screaming" is because people keep harrassing him about his ranking. Plus, arent his concerns about Marshall legitimate?

If it wasnt for Rice's injury, Marshall wouldnt be in my top 10. I dont think its that crazy, in non-ppr's anyway. I dont see how anyone can have Marshall ranked ahead of any of the follwing 7:

Andre Johnson

Calvin Johnson

Miles Austin

Desean Jackson

Larry Fitzgerald

Greg Jennings

Roddy White

There is another 6-7 WR's i could see people ranking above him as well.
this is getting a little off topic, but ill give it a go. You dont think people have a legit debate if they rank Marshall over ANY of those guys escept for AJ, Fitgerald and White??Austin had one good year, Jennings has been somewhat up and down with his reception and TD output, Calvin had one good year, Desean Jackson - are you kiddin me??

And I am not looking for you to come back and tell me about Marshalls stats. I am just saying that you can make an debate for Marshall ahead of most of these fellas.

This thread is going downhill again with all the "my team" questions. I hope responders don't answer except to send them over to the assistant coach forum where those types of questions belong.

I think the only reason he has been "kicking and screaming" is because people keep harrassing him about his ranking. Plus, arent his concerns about Marshall legitimate?

If it wasnt for Rice's injury, Marshall wouldnt be in my top 10. I dont think its that crazy, in non-ppr's anyway. I dont see how anyone can have Marshall ranked ahead of any of the follwing 7:

Andre Johnson

Calvin Johnson

Miles Austin

Desean Jackson

Larry Fitzgerald

Greg Jennings

Roddy White

There is another 6-7 WR's i could see people ranking above him as well.
this is getting a little off topic, but ill give it a go. You dont think people have a legit debate if they rank Marshall over ANY of those guys escept for AJ, Fitgerald and White??Austin had one good year, Jennings has been somewhat up and down with his reception and TD output, Calvin had one good year, Desean Jackson - are you kiddin me??

And I am not looking for you to come back and tell me about Marshalls stats. I am just saying that you can make an debate for Marshall ahead of most of these fellas.
I wont disagree with you there, anyone can make a case for any player over another. I personally cant see how anyone would have Marshall over those 7 guys. Considering we both understand this, i dont get why people get on SSOG's case for ranking Marshall 7.

I wont disagree with you there, anyone can make a case for any player over another. I personally cant see how anyone would have Marshall over those 7 guys. Considering we both understand this, i dont get why people get on SSOG's case for ranking Marshall 7.
question for you. WHat has Desean done to merit being ahead of a guy like Marshall in dynasty? I understand he's electric and his TD's last year were nice, but Marshall has been one of the most effective pass catchers in football for 3 years in a row.

question for you. WHat has Desean done to merit being ahead of a guy like Marshall in dynasty? I understand he's electric and his TD's last year were nice, but Marshall has been one of the most effective pass catchers in football for 3 years in a row.
He is younger and more talented.

Again, I didn't get on SSOG's case for ranking Marshall WR7. First, I thought he had him lower. Second, my complaint was about him using objective stats/contracts in favor of VJ but ignoring them with other players. Nothing more, nothing less. If you make a ranking based on subjective evaluation, I won't argue... Though I will say that before Marshall was lower than #7 on his rankings, and the discussion was about VJ/Marshall being elite - which I don't think WR7-15 constitutes.But anyway....

Again, I didn't get on SSOG's case for ranking Marshall WR7. First, I thought he had him lower. Second, my complaint was about him using objective stats/contracts in favor of VJ but ignoring them with other players. Nothing more, nothing less. If you make a ranking based on subjective evaluation, I won't argue... Though I will say that before Marshall was lower than #7 on his rankings, and the discussion was about VJ/Marshall being elite - which I don't think WR7-15 constitutes.But anyway....
I pretty much ignored most of that VJax/Marshall debate. I have notied that SSOG, like most everyone else, tend to find the positives in players they like and the negatives in players they dont. Either way though, if he has Marshall at 7 now, i dont think the Marshall supporters have much to complain about.

Are you not concerned with DeSean after week 1? Kolb didn't look great, and Vick looks to run more than McNabb did when the play breaks down. I hate to say this because I want to love Kolb long-term - and I own Maclin in a number of leagues - but maybe we should start considering the role that McNabb played in DeSean's success?Just saying.

Are you not concerned with DeSean after week 1? Kolb didn't look great, and Vick looks to run more than McNabb did when the play breaks down. I hate to say this because I want to love Kolb long-term - and I own Maclin in a number of leagues - but maybe we should start considering the role that McNabb played in DeSean's success?Just saying.
I would be worried a bit about Vick if i thought he was going to be the starter for more than a couple games. Either way though, this is dynasty, and i will take talent over situation every time. As Jackson has shown, he doesnt need alot of touches to have a big game. No matter who is the QB, getting the ball in Jacksons hands has to be a priority, so no, i am not concerned about Jackson at all.

more talented? why? how do you measure this?

I watch the games.

I watch games too, and generally disagree that Jackson is more talented than Marshall. Faster perhaps.

So we all have our eye-test, and I have statistics on my side, so where do we go from here?

Separate non-PPR / PPR threads are long overdue IMO. Seems like Marshall/Jackson talk has been going in circles for years upon years.

I would be worried a bit about Vick if i thought he was going to be the starter for more than a couple games. Either way though, this is dynasty, and i will take talent over situation every time. As Jackson has shown, he doesnt need alot of touches to have a big game. No matter who is the QB, getting the ball in Jacksons hands has to be a priority, so no, i am not concerned about Jackson at all.
He was not heavily involved with Kolb or Vick. Hell, Jason Avant was more involved. Vick's ability to get up field when the play breaks down worries me even more.If I were a DeSean owner, I'd be worried... long-term. In fact, I'd probably sell if I could trade up. Then again, if I were buying, I probably wouldn't offer the price that I would want as a seller ...

I watch the games.
i don't understand why you are being so flippant with your responses. It doesnt seem liek you have EVER seen Marshall play. I'll tell you first hand you are dead wrong abotu Desean being more talented than Marshall. Marshall can do almost everything better on the field than Jackson. Jackson is faster, that's about it.

He was not heavily involved with Kolb or Vick. Hell, Jason Avant was more involved. Vick's ability to get up field when the play breaks down worries me even more.If I were a DeSean owner, I'd be worried... long-term. In fact, I'd probably sell if I could trade up. Then again, if I were buying, I probably wouldn't offer the price that I would want as a seller ...
He was targeted 11 times Sunday. Sure, he only caught 4, but if those targets keep up, his receptions will go up. Other than Chris Johnson, there is no other player in the league more dangerous with the ball in his hands than Mr. Jackson.

To offer some perspective, 35 RBs have combined for 60 200 yard rushing games from 1995 to 2009. Here's a complete list of every RB since 1995 to rush for 200 yards in a single game, as well as what the games were for the guys who only had 1:Shaun Alexander x2Mike Anderson (37/251/4)Tiki Barber x5 (yes, FIVE of them)Jamaal Charles (25/259/2)Terrell Davis x3Corey Dillon x3Warrick Dunn (22/210/2)Marshall Faulk x3Charlie Garner (36/201/1)Eddie George (35/216/1)Frank Gore x2Ahman Green (20/218/2)Jerome Harrison (34/286/3)Priest Holmes (36/287/1)Fred Jackson (33/212/0)Edgerrin James x2Chris Johnson (24/228/2)Larry Johnson x2LeShon Johnson (21/214/2)Rudi Johnson (26/202/2)Thomas Jones (22/210/1)Napoleon Kaufman (28/227/1)Jamal Lewis x3Curtis Martin (30/203/1)Willie Parker x2Adrian Peterson x2Clinton Portis x2Barry Sanders x2Duce Staley (26/201/1)Jonathan Stewart (28/206/1)Fred Taylor (30/234/3)LaDainian Tomlinson x4Michael Turner x2Derrick Ward (15/216/0)Ricky Williams x2Random fact that has nothing to do with Arian Foster: teams with a 200 yard rusher are 59-2 over that span. The two losses came by Ricky Williams vs. Buffalo in 2002, and by Thomas Jones vs. Buffalo in 2009. The Buffalo Bills are actually 2-1 in games where they allow a 200 yard rusher, while the rest of the league is 0-57.Some real "WTF?!?!" names on that list. Some awesome names, no question, but definitely some "WTF?!?!" names, too.
But the thing you see on that list is that every single AWESOME talent in the league is on there. The best backs of the past 15 years litter that list through and through. Are there some WTF names? Of course. But look at the other side of the argument, there isn't an awesome back that isn't on that list! Taking into account how many truly elite backs vs normal backs there are in the league, and you see how many more opportunities the "normal backs" had to make the list. The fact that it is so saturated with awesome talent tells you something. If someone is running 200+ yards in a game, then the likelyhood is much higher that they are awesome than it is that they are merely normal and got lucky. Most people here are still undervaluing Foster to a great extent. I believe this to be what i call the disinclination to change inefficiency (ok, i just made that one up). People are apt to continue on believing what they have believed up to now, and it takes quite a lot to change that. Foster has only recently busted on to the scene, and it will take a lot to change people's opinions of him (or create positive ones). Don't underestimate the kid, he does have talent and should have been the most prolific runner in Tennessee history. From what i remember of Stewart, he was in a RBBC even in college with Jeremiah Johnson. Don't get me wrong, i love stewart as well, but in dynasty leagues i would put Foster and Stewart pretty level, since this year gets a proportionate advantage to later years.

I do, too, but I don't feel comfortable putting anyone else above him at this point. He started out 10th back in August, and his value score hasn't risen any, but a couple of the guys in front of him have dropped some for one reason or another (VJax for the holdout, Crabtree for the fights with his teammates, Rice for the injury).
I haven't looked at your rankings lately - if you have him 7th now, then I apologize, though I was pretty sure you had him much lower in the past (over the offseason, etc). I also noticed you now have VJ behind him, which wasn't the case before (and your comments suggest just that).

In any case - this particular discussion arose from a comparison between Marshall and VJax, and you're the one who put forth the contract example. We all know your VJ love is strong... me, I don't really have a dog in this race except that I think VJ is overrated.

Personally, I don't believe that contract should be weighed that heavily in evaluation. Sure, it's some evidence on how at least one NFL team views a player's value, but then we've also have PLENTY of examples of bad contracts over the years.

Rankings aside, you and F&L in particularly have repeatedly dismissed Marshall over character concerns and stats, and yet for some reason seem willing to overlook these for VJax even as he's suspended and holding out. Marshall was charged but acquitted, while VJax plead guilty to a DUI while on probation for a DUI. (And yes, I went to law school so I know there's more nuance behind the meaning of a guilty plea). Marshall has a big contract, while VJ wants a big contract. Miami already gave up two 2nd rounders for Marshall, while others haven't traded for VJ even though SD's asking price is now much lower.

So, no - my argument is not ridiculous. If you think VJ's talent is greater than Marshall's based on on-field evaluation - as you indicated in your ranking comments - I won't argue with you because it's subjective. The thing I have an issue with is using an objective factor like stats or a contract in favor of one player, but ignoring it for another player.

Frankly, it's not worth discussing anymore more. And again, I apologize because I did think you had Marshall much lower. With a few exceptions, I think we're actually pretty close in our rankings - though even before the holdout ugliness, I would have taken Marshall over VJax every time.

--

And I know it's rhetoric, but elite means best of the best. Yes, more than one player can be elite, but very good != elite. When I say elite, I'm usually referring to the top 5, sometimes less.
You make it sound like I offered up the big contract demands as the only reason why I think VJax is an elite talent. Someone asked me why I thought VJax was a stud. I offered up SIX REASONS. You latched on to the contract one as if it was the only piece of evidence supporting my opinion. If the contract was the only reason why I thought VJax was a stud, then I agree, it'd be a pretty flimsy support, but I built myself a 6-legged stool, and you can chip away at one of those legs all you want, because the other 5 will support my position just fine on their own.I never used the contract as a point in VJax's favor while ignoring it as a point in Marshall's favor. In fact, I never touched on Brandon Marshall in the first place except for tangentially. The original comparison came when someone said some sentence saying VJax wasn't a stud, and I pointed out that you could replace VJax's name with Brandon Marshall's and the sentence was still 100% true, so by that reasoning, Brandon Marshall must not have been a stud, either. The implication of that argument is that not only do I think VJax is a stud, but I also think that Brandon Marshall is a stud. So I don't know how it spawned this whole series of posts about how I don't think Brandon Marshall is an elite talent. It baffles me.

I think you guys give yourself far too much credit if you think peer pressure has any impact on my player rankings. Solid, cogent arguments? Yes. Interesting outlooks? Yes. Peer pressure? Please. When have I ever struck you guys as someone who caves to peer pressure and changes my rankings so that they're more popular or less controversial? Remember the firestorm I originally sparked when I said I moved Vincent Jackson to #4 in my receiver rankings? How many spots did Vincent Jackson drop in my rankings as a result of that firestorm? Here's a hint: none.For the most part, you guys always overestimated how down I was on Brandon Marshall. He spent most of the last half of last season and most of the offseason at 11th in my rankings. He was never buried. I said multiple times all offseason that he was a legit dynasty asset, and a quality dynasty WR1. Hell, I even traded to acquire the guy in my dynasty league (although I later shipped him off for Miles Austin, I wouldn't have made the original trade if I wasn't comfortable rolling with Brandon Marshall on my roster). The reason he has moved from 11th up to 7th has nothing to do with anyone "dragging me kicking and screaming" and everything to do with (A) Reggie Wayne slowing down at the end of last season and raising age-related concerns, (B) Vincent Jackson getting embroiled in a contract dispute with Chargers management, © Sidney Rice injuring himself and missing at least half a season, and (D) Michael Crabtree getting in a fight with Vernon Davis and raising some character red flags in week 1. Brandon Marshall hasn't "risen" in my rankings as much as a couple of the guys ahead of him have fallen.

Here, check out my ranking archives. Type in Brandon Marshall's name and you can see his rank slowly but steadily rise over the past few weeks. Then change from a graph of his rank to a graph of his value and notice how his value has stayed pretty much perfectly consistent across those weeks (actually, it fell very, very slightly). Brandon Marshall isn't rising at all, it's just that the guys ahead of him are falling.

But the thing you see on that list is that every single AWESOME talent in the league is on there. The best backs of the past 15 years litter that list through and through. Are there some WTF names? Of course. But look at the other side of the argument, there isn't an awesome back that isn't on that list! Taking into account how many truly elite backs vs normal backs there are in the league, and you see how many more opportunities the "normal backs" had to make the list. The fact that it is so saturated with awesome talent tells you something. If someone is running 200+ yards in a game, then the likelyhood is much higher that they are awesome than it is that they are merely normal and got lucky.

Most people here are still undervaluing Foster to a great extent. I believe this to be what i call the disinclination to change inefficiency (ok, i just made that one up). People are apt to continue on believing what they have believed up to now, and it takes quite a lot to change that. Foster has only recently busted on to the scene, and it will take a lot to change people's opinions of him (or create positive ones). Don't underestimate the kid, he does have talent and should have been the most prolific runner in Tennessee history. From what i remember of Stewart, he was in a RBBC even in college with Jeremiah Johnson. Don't get me wrong, i love stewart as well, but in dynasty leagues i would put Foster and Stewart pretty level, since this year gets a proportionate advantage to later years.
First off, I get the point you're making and think it's a valid point, but there are several of the best fantasy backs of the past 15 years who don't make that list. Emmitt Smith doesn't. Maurice Jones-Drew doesn't. Neither does DeAngelo Williams. There's no Brian Westbrook. There's no Ricky Watters. There's no Deuce McAllister. There's no Steve Jackson. There's no Ronnie Brown. There's no Joseph Addai (no laughing, he's got 3 top-12 finishes in 4 seasons). There's no Jerome Bettis. Plenty of the most talented and most productive RBs of the last 15 years have never had a 200 yard rushing game.Second off, the term I use for your "disinclination to change inefficiency" is "rankings inertia". I made a post discussing the subject way back on page 125.

Users who are viewing this thread