What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty Rankings (9 Viewers)

'Just Win Baby said:
'thriftyrocker said:
'Just Win Baby said:
'thriftyrocker said:
'ItsOnlytheRiver said:
FantasyDouche on Twitter (not sure how many of you guys follow him) lays out a case for Ryan, Stafford, and Flacco all being similar QBs, separated by quality of receivers. Here it is. Thoughts?
Now that last year is increasingly looking like a fluke, I'd go one further and add Eli to that list.
Agreed. Rivers, too. I'll probably be slammed for being a homer but I think Bradford will prove to be in this tier as well. Not sure any of these QBs would be much better than Bradford in his situation. Rivers is a perfect example of how situation can dictate how good or bad these QBs can look.
Rivers was not a product of situation. Neither was Palmer in Cincy. Their decline is a product of injury and yips. They are not the same guys they physically and mentally as when they were putting up good years. Give 2012 Rivers in his prime Gates and he still looks off.Eli had 3 300 yd games in the first two months. Then reports of arm fatigue came out.
Rivers has had no known injuries since his ACL in the 2007 playoffs.
There's been rumor of arm issues My link. "Known" is a key word in your response.In 2010 he was nailing deep throws to Seyi Ajirotutu. It's not the talent around him. SD was plug-and-play. VJax sits out, Floyd comes in. Floyd gets hurt, UFAs come in. For all that is DX's breakout this year, Rivers really has still been terrible throughout.
Rivers and Norv have repeatedly denied that he has been injured. If he has been injured, why would they be so adamant in saying he hasn't been? As a fan, I'd love to hear that he has actually been hurt, since it would explain what has happened and give insight on whether or not to expect a future rebound.I think his biggest problem last year and this year has been the poor OL, which has often kept him from stepping into his passes, especially his deep throws, and has led him to have happy feet at times. But it's not like it was a great OL before that, which is puzzling. I also think Norv has been a problem, in that he doesn't really adjust the offense when things aren't working.

I like the Warner reference someone made and the potential for a resurgence from Rivers with a coaching change and potential upgrade over time in the supporting cast.
Yeah, Rivers' fall baffles me. It really can't be explained by coaching staff or supporting cast. If someone told me tomorrow that he'd been abducted in the offseason after 2010 and was being impersonated by someone from the Arena League, I would only consider that mildly improbable.

Looking for some input on a couple younger WRs:

What's the thought on Sanders if we assume Wallace leaves Pittsburgh? Does Sanders have the upside to be an every-week starter for fantasy?

And how about Baldwin if we assume Andy Reid goes to KC? Any hope of Reid getting him going, especially if Bowe leaves?

When you see where he is now, it's amazing to think that Rivers led the NFL in YPA in 3 consecutive years from 2008 to 2010. Are there any comparable QBs who declined as precipitously as Rivers has in the last two years? Kurt Warner is the only one I can think of (and his rebound might indicate hope for Rivers).
Thirty is young for a good QB to just plain lose it due to age. Thinking he might make a decent QBBC buy if you don't own a top-7 QB and River's is someone's QB2 on a team with one of the studs at QB1. Price would need to be right though.

Looking for some input on a couple younger WRs:What's the thought on Sanders if we assume Wallace leaves Pittsburgh? Does Sanders have the upside to be an every-week starter for fantasy?And how about Baldwin if we assume Andy Reid goes to KC? Any hope of Reid getting him going, especially if Bowe leaves?
IMO Sanders could be a weekly starter next year, but its likely to be a weak WR2 or WR3. Probably better in PPR than not. The guy just isn't that likely to be a high TD type player.Baldwin is a total wild card. I think the talent is there for him to be a WR1 in fantasy. He had a poor start to his career with the attitude and injury situation. By the time he got going, Haley got fired. He's been saddled with Romeo Crennel's offense and coaching since. Still, I think you can reasonably put a lot of his lack of success on him. The question will be can Reid get to him, and help him maximize his talent? Its an impossible question to answer now, because IMO its not about talent, it's about what lies between Baldwin's ears. Another way to think of it is this: Would Crabtree have gotten anywhere near 85/1105/9 if Singletary were still his coach?

Crabtree is a nice reminder on the value of patience with young WRs - I think guys like AJ Green make people forget that immediate success is the exception rather than the rule at WR, particularly with a guy like Baldwin who was drafted into a pretty crappy situation.

Baldwin is exactly the type of guy I'll buy low on from impatient owners all day long - legit 1st round talent off to a slow start possibly due to poor coaching / QB play. He was probably a mid-1st coming out in most leagues, but likely wouldn't cost anywhere near that right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Wallace leaves, someone has to catch TD passes. Brown hasn't proven to be great in that area, though it's an unpredictable stat much of the time. Miller tore everything in his leg, and was already old. Roethlisburger is a great QB. He has to throw to someone.

When you see where he is now, it's amazing to think that Rivers led the NFL in YPA in 3 consecutive years from 2008 to 2010. Are there any comparable QBs who declined as precipitously as Rivers has in the last two years? Kurt Warner is the only one I can think of (and his rebound might indicate hope for Rivers).
Thirty is young for a good QB to just plain lose it due to age. Thinking he might make a decent QBBC buy if you don't own a top-7 QB and River's is someone's QB2 on a team with one of the studs at QB1. Price would need to be right though.
It's rare for good QBs to lose it so young, but not entirely unprecedented. Bernie Kosar, Ken O'Brien, Marc Bulger...

Doubt he'll be a big factor, but they do still have Jerricho Cotchery and he's only 31 next season. :unsure:

I think they need to draft or sign another WR if they let Wallace walk. I think Brown is a good player though and it's not like Wallace was a beast in the red zone. I think he was only really a TD threat because of his deep speed. Brown can get deep too.

Added that this is a DEEP receiver class and there will be a lot of guys available in rounds 2-3 who can give them more of a physical presence if that's what they're after.

If Wallace leaves, someone has to catch TD passes. Brown hasn't proven to be great in that area, though it's an unpredictable stat much of the time. Miller tore everything in his leg, and was already old. Roethlisburger is a great QB. He has to throw to someone.
Not necessarily. He could run it in himself. He could hand it off. Maybe a Matt Spaeth emerges and vultures everyone again. Roethlisberger has never been a huge passing-TD guy. This year was actually the second best passing TD season of his career.

I'm having a hard time valuing Foster vs. Morris. For a rebuilding team the answer is obvious. But for a contender, how foolish would you feel if the Texans invest in the OL and Foster returns to form for another year or three? Foster in his prime, with a better OL, can win you a title. This was obviously a down year. Is it the start of a trend, and he needs to be dumped? Or is a guy like Morris not enough, because of the risks associated with him and because of his seemingly deflated value because of his lack of pedigree. Ironic to ask about Morris' pedigree when also talking about Foster, but Foster was doubted after his first big season too. And Morris isn't 21 like Trent, he's 24. It's a conundrum to me.

I'd still take Foster. He's got more name brand cachet. I'd be looking to cash in on that.

Morris is a sell to me if people value him as a top 10 RB. I'm still a bit gun shy about his talent, but the bigger issue is the lack of receptions. He rushed for 1600 yards(!!) this season and still finished outside the top 5 RBs in my PPR leagues because he doesn't catch the ball. And while I could see his role expanding, he's not going to rush for 1600 yards on an annual basis and doesn't strike me as the type who will be lethal in space as a receiver.

I seem him as more of a dynasty RB2 than a RB1. If I can't get him at that price then I'll let someone else have him.

If Reid signs in KC, how much does that impact Charles' dynasty ranking? Most lists I see show him in the 5-10 range. Seems to me this (hopefully) gets Charles a consistent touch level, particularly in PPR.

If Reid signs in KC, how much does that impact Charles' dynasty ranking? Most lists I see show him in the 5-10 range. Seems to me this (hopefully) gets Charles a consistent touch level, particularly in PPR.
Charles is every bit as dynamic as Westbrook and McCoy were with Reid, so I'd think it bodes relatively well for him.

Had him at 5-6 before the carousel started spinning. I'll almost certainly have him at 5-6 after it stops, regardless of who his new coach is.

Had him at 5-6 before the carousel started spinning. I'll almost certainly have him at 5-6 after it stops, regardless of who his new coach is.
what does a Reid deal in KC mean to the QB position?Does he turn Cassel into a starting fantasy QB?Does he make a deal for a guy like Flynn who's a product of the West Coast system?Does he draft a QB this year?Does a game manager like Alex Smith fit into this equation?

The biggest beneficiary is Baldwin, obviously. Not sure he's worth it, but he'll start getting hype now. McCluster and Wylie are more worth dumpster-dive acquisitions but the upside could just as easily be Avant as anything startable. If Moeaki can stay healthy he'll be great, but he can't, so he won't.

I'd bet on them drafting Geno. I think Reid's strategy has morphed so much into downfield passing that Flynn and Alex Smith won't get much consideration. If it's not Geno, it could be a 2nd or 3rd round pick with a cheap FA to play Doug Pederson.

In PPR I think there's a good argument for him at RB1, but it may be my longtime mancrush talking. I wouldn't be surprised to see him double his catch total under Reid, which easily puts him over 2000 YFS. If the offense is better overall (and how could it not be considering Reid >>>>>>>> Brian Daboll) his TDs should be up some even if they continue to use a goal-line RB, which they might not (Westbrook and McCoy were both 10+ TD guys under Reid).He just turned 26 a few weeks ago, so he's essentially two seasons younger than Peterson and one season younger than Foster and Rice, and has taken much less pounding than all three of them. We have no idea what type of system McCoy is in next year, which I weigh pretty heavily for RBs. I like both of this year's rookies, but Charles is far safer due to track record. He's also definitely more talented than everyone except Peterson -- the guy averages over half a yard more than Jim Brown per carry for his career, think about that for a minute.

It's not an easy call right now on the RBs, but if I have a contending team, which I usually do as I'm not a huge fan of the whole "rebuilding" philosophy, I think a Reid signing has a pretty strong chance at making Charles the best PPR RB for the next 3 - 4 years.

what does a Reid deal in KC mean to the QB position?

Does he turn Cassel into a starting fantasy QB?

Does he make a deal for a guy like Flynn who's a product of the West Coast system?

Does he draft a QB this year?

Does a game manager like Alex Smith fit into this equation?
What it means for the QB situation is that the 2013 starter is likely not on the roster. Geno, Vick, maybe even Kolb if the Cards cut him.
In PPR I think there's a good argument for him at RB1, but it may be my longtime mancrush talking. I wouldn't be surprised to see him double his catch total under Reid, which easily puts him over 2000 YFS. If the offense is better overall (and how could it not be considering Reid >>>>>>>> Brian Daboll) his TDs should be up some even if they continue to use a goal-line RB, which they might not (Westbrook and McCoy were both 10+ TD guys under Reid).He just turned 26 a few weeks ago, so he's essentially two seasons younger than Peterson and one season younger than Foster and Rice, and has taken much less pounding than all three of them. We have no idea what type of system McCoy is in next year, which I weigh pretty heavily for RBs. I like both of this year's rookies, but Charles is far safer due to track record. He's also definitely more talented than everyone except Peterson -- the guy averages over half a yard more than Jim Brown per carry for his career, think about that for a minute.

It's not an easy call right now on the RBs, but if I have a contending team, which I usually do as I'm not a huge fan of the whole "rebuilding" philosophy, I think a Reid signing has a pretty strong chance at making Charles the best PPR RB for the next 3 - 4 years.
Charles is a month older than Rice, not a year younger.

I'm having a hard time valuing Foster vs. Morris. For a rebuilding team the answer is obvious. But for a contender, how foolish would you feel if the Texans invest in the OL and Foster returns to form for another year or three? Foster in his prime, with a better OL, can win you a title. This was obviously a down year. Is it the start of a trend, and he needs to be dumped? Or is a guy like Morris not enough, because of the risks associated with him and because of his seemingly deflated value because of his lack of pedigree. Ironic to ask about Morris' pedigree when also talking about Foster, but Foster was doubted after his first big season too. And Morris isn't 21 like Trent, he's 24. It's a conundrum to me.
Assuming non-PPR, I think it is close. You have to make a call on Foster's gas tank; what did his big dip in per touch production mean?I'd take McCoy, Peterson, Richardson, and Martin over Morris in standard formats. After that, it's a tough call. Charles, Foster, Rice, Spiller, and Morris are all in that mix.

Assuming non-PPR, I think it is close. You have to make a call on Foster's gas tank; what did his big dip in per touch production mean?I'd take McCoy, Peterson, Richardson, and Martin over Morris in standard formats. After that, it's a tough call. Charles, Foster, Rice, Spiller, and Morris are all in that mix.
The prospect of trading Morris for Spiller, Charles or Rice in any scenario is just too far-fetched for me. Seems like a deal you need to add 2 1sts too. Foster is a special case due to the apparent decline. For a rebuilding team I think I'd still prefer Foster. Let's take a worst case scenario. Due to injury or ineffectiveness, Tate takes over, and due to his high salary, Foster finds a new team in 2014. At 28 he's old but not done. Teams that are interested in him will be good teams. At worst he's a timeshare RB with most TDs and enough receptions. A worst case scenario for Morris is much worse, IMO. Due to injury or ineffectiveness, Helu or a UFA takes over. Morris is a backup on the Redskins roster in 2014 and on. Whose worst case scenario is more likely is open for debate (yes probably Foster's) but I think both are possible.Maybe a rebuilding team should move Foster, but Morris is not the best target to do so. If that's the only option I'd hold Foster, hope for the best or wait for a better sell point.A competing team should hold Foster and try to add Tate.

Here's my early 2013 Rankings with Tiers. Would love to hear what you all think:

2013 Rankings

QB

1. Rodgers

2. RGIII

3. Luck

4. Newton

5. Brady

6. Brees

7. Ryan

8. Stafford- Bounce back

9. Peyton

10. Eli

11. Rothlesburger

12. Wilson- Upside/ high floor

13. Kaepernick –Upside

14. Romo- too inconsistent/higher if now INT penalty

15. Rivers- New coach/O line, V Brown?? Cant hurt

16. Schaub

17. Freeman

18. Dalton

19. Tannehill- FA WR could bump him up

20. Vick

21. Locker- Want to put higher but inconsistent

22. Weeden- Young/improving team, Just limit mistakes and could be Dalton like

23. Flacco

24. Ponder

25. Bradford

26. Foles – Mind as well gamble on him over the rest of the guys

27. Palmer

28. Smith

29. Tebow/Henne

30. Cousins-trade potential?

31. Kolb – Reid could make him relevant again

32. Fitzpatrick

RB

1. Rice - Highest floor/upside based on role/wear and tear, and no real other standout at RB

2. Martin

3. Richardson

4. Peterson- Am I stupid enough to doubt again? Workload is scary though

5. McCoy

6. Foster- Workload has me worried

7. Spiller- Really want to put higher

8. Lynch- Maybe deserving of top 3 based on health, role and production, Beast Mode

9. Murray- Only injury guy I’ll rank this high, not sure why. Produces when healthy unlike DMC, Mathews

10. Charles- New OC/HD could bump him into top 3 again

11. Morris- still skeptical about Shanahanagans but looks like we’re safe for now

12. Forte

13. C Johnson- They got to address Oline which will only help

14. MJD

15. Ridley- to random in usage but love the role and talent

16. Wilson- Upside

17. Matthews- Have to rank him somewhere… will go with the Talent only ranking

18. DMC- see Matthews

19. Sjax – Please go to a contender and finish out as a top 5 RB!

20. Gore

21. Sproles – wish we could rely on him more, even 2011 was up and down

22. Leshoure

23. Jstew- Hype ranking

24. Bush

25. Bradshaw- love you but can’t stay healthy/Wilson knocking on the door

26. BJGE- just produces, do they add a RB in the Draft?

27. Ingram- role increasing

28. Tate- Talent only ranking, Foster Workload

29. Hunter- still main heir apparent

30. DWill

31. La Miller- talent ranking

32. Br Brown- talent ranking

33. Ry Williams- talent ranking

34. Moreno- did enough to earn main role again in 2013?

35. Mendenhall- could become a lead role in FA?

36. Hillman- talent yes/ opportunity?

37. Dwyer- Main guy?

38. Turner

39. Ballard- might be only option in a good offense

40. Da Richardson- Talent/opportunity

41. Quizz

42. M Bush

43. McGahee

44. Turbin-

45. Ivory – FA could bump him up

46. Pierce

47. Fjax

48. Greene

49. A Brown

50. J Bell

51. Vareen

52. Da Thomas

53. B Wells

54. Hillis

55. P Thomas

56. Blount

57. A Green

58. Redman

59. Goodson

60. Royster

61. Ra Jennings

62. Gerhart

63. Pead

64. Powell

65. Hardesty

66. Tolbert

67. Benson

WR

1. Calvin

2. Green

3. Julio

4. Dez- Has same/better talent than Julio, people love to hate but he proved the ability

5. Marshall- Could rank #3 overall without argument

6. DT

7. Harvin

8. Cruz

9. Cobb- Seen what he can do as #1 option in GB

10. Nicks- Talent didn’t go any ware, If you have DMC high then you should have Nicks high

11. Wallace- Talent/ FA could knock him down

12. Garcon- Can’t ignore the Connection with RGIII

13. White

14. Wayne

15. Vjax

16. A Johnson

17. Welker

18. Britt- talent only ranking, want to put him lower

19. Bowe –FA will help big time

20. Jennings- win/win situation with staying or leaving

21. Colston

22. Nelson- could bounce back into top 15 if healthy and Jennings leaving

23. St Johnson

24. Fitz- talent only ranking

25. Decker- production/Payton only ranking, talent bumps him down

26. Austin

-talent/upside group below

27. Maclin

28. Gordon

29. Crabtree

30. T Smith-needs to get more routes

31. B Lloyd

32. A Brown

33. S Smith

34. TY Hilton- big play w/potential high floor could be gold

35. D Moore – wish he would be more consistent, QB uncertainty

36. Blackmon

37. C Shorts

38. S Rice

39. Wright

40. Amendola

41. D Alexander –injury concers

42. Broyles

43. TB M Williams

44. James Jones- showed great improvement and could be on the field a lot in 2013

45. C Givens

46. V Brown- someone needs to step up, has talent

47. S Hill

48. AJ Jenkins- like the potential in the more dynamic offense

49. A Jeffrey

50. E Sanders

51. S Holmes

52. B LaFell

53. A Boldin

54. M Sanu

55. L Hankerson

56. B Hartline

57. G Tate

58. B Quick

59. L Moore

60. N Washington

61. R Randle

62. Ma Floyd

63. Mi Floyd

TE

1. Gronk

2. Graham

3. Hernandez

4. Witten

- doesn’t matter on the rest, could be widest fluctuation in rankings depending on who you ask

5. Rudolph -talent

6. Bennett- talent/potential best offense of the rest, FA could change

7. Pitta- production I’m buying

8. Gresham

9. V Davis- talent only

10. Pettigrew

11. Daniels

12. Olsen

13. F Davis- talent still there

14. Tony G – would be higher if we knew he was playing again

15. H Miller

16. J Finley- FA could be only saving grace, ATL maybe would be nice

17. J Cook

18. C Fleener

19. D Allen

20. Gates

21. B Myers- production I’m not buying, goes away if DMC is in

22. Celek

Which TE is worth more in a dynasty league: 27yo with 61/669 or 25yo with 61/667? Obviously the first because the 2nd should have gotten 80/1000.

Solid rankings. One thing I found that I disagree with you (and apparently many others) is the ranking of the GB receivers. I'd still rather have Nelson than Cobb, especially if I'm getting Nelson 1-2 rounds later.

RB16. Wilson- Upside17. Matthews- Have to rank him somewhere… will go with the Talent only ranking23. Jstew- Hype ranking35. Mendenhall- could become a lead role in FA?46. Pierce 62. Gerhart
Almost all of these guys are a lot more talented than many of the names listed ahead of them. Big value plays here. They have starter talent, but you can get most of them at discount prices because they didn't produce startable FF numbers in 2012. Wilson - Likely to be held hostage by his owners, but if you can get him for something like a MJD, Forte, or McFadden, I would roll the dice. Mathews - When healthy, he is a good three down back.Stewart - The biggest tease in FF still offers great upside relative to his price tag.Mendenhall - Criminally low here. He will be starting somewhere next season.Pierce - Had a better rookie year than Pead and Hillman, and has a better frame for three down duty. Gerhart - Not as talented as ADP, but perhaps good enough to start elsewhere when his contract runs down. A much better proposition for FF owners than Peterson considering the relative price tags.

Solid rankings. One thing I found that I disagree with you (and apparently many others) is the ranking of the GB receivers. I'd still rather have Nelson than Cobb, especially if I'm getting Nelson 1-2 rounds later.
If you like that style of ranking follow Eric Dickens from DLF. I believ he takes into account ADP into his rankings. Im just trying to go BPA.

If you like that style of ranking follow Eric Dickens from DLF. I believ he takes into account ADP into his rankings. Im just trying to go BPA.
As I mentioned, I like Nelson more in BPA as well - I just think he is the better/more talented receiver.

RB16. Wilson- Upside17. Matthews- Have to rank him somewhere… will go with the Talent only ranking23. Jstew- Hype ranking35. Mendenhall- could become a lead role in FA?46. Pierce 62. Gerhart
Almost all of these guys are a lot more talented than many of the names listed ahead of them. Big value plays here. They have starter talent, but you can get most of them at discount prices because they didn't produce startable FF numbers in 2012. Wilson - Likely to be held hostage by his owners, but if you can get him for something like a MJD, Forte, or McFadden, I would roll the dice. Mathews - When healthy, he is a good three down back.Stewart - The biggest tease in FF still offers great upside relative to his price tag.Mendenhall - Criminally low here. He will be starting somewhere next season.Pierce - Had a better rookie year than Pead and Hillman, and has a better frame for three down duty. Gerhart - Not as talented as ADP, but perhaps good enough to start elsewhere when his contract runs down. A much better proposition for FF owners than Peterson considering the relative price tags.
Disagree with most of the above. I think you're right about Pierce though. I think Mendenhall's best case is this year's Benson, so his owners will have to wait until August to know if they have a starter or a cast off. Tough play.Mathews has gotten his opportunities, he's a committee back, can't handle the load.I think Wilson is ranked about right, disagree with some above and below but the spot is right. Ability and potential to be a RB1, but still under developed as a football player. I don't trust him.White flag on J Stew, convinced his lower body issues are why he's never been given a shot. Love the talent, but good committee back only.Gerhart's just not any good, he's AD insurance only.

Which TE is worth more in a dynasty league: 27yo with 61/669 or 25yo with 61/667? Obviously the first because the 2nd should have gotten 80/1000.
Don't agree with this line of thinking, at all.Age and production are factors, they're not the only ones.
Talent, situation, and upside all favor the 25yo as well, IMO. Risk favors the 27yo. Not really looking to discuss the 25yo that much, just the difference between the two players in the rankings struck me. It seems affected a lot by fantasy points in the current season, which is swayed a lot by TD production. The lazy ranking is "well Pitta came out of nowhere and scored more FP so he's a TE1 trending upward." On the other hand, the other guy is younger, put up similar numbers aside from TD, is a better athlete, is on a better offense (for the time being). But we hate him. He only had 2 TDs so he was disappointing. So he's still trending downward. Rudolph is everyone's #5 TE including my own, but all he did was score TDs. There were rumblings throughout the season that he just wasn't that good. But hey he scored TDs so hype him up some more and maybe he'll score some more.

The thing about value plays is that they don't look like value plays on the surface. That's why they're value plays. Part of the reason why guys like Mendenhall, Pierce, and Gerhart are great buys is precisely because nobody thinks they're great buys. Recognizing the hidden value is what allows you to stockpile talent at discount prices.

I think Mendenhall's best case is this year's Benson, so his owners will have to wait until August to know if they have a starter or a cast off. Tough play.
Mendenhall is somewhere between Lynch and Benson. Not as agile as Lynch or as good in the passing game, but certainly better than Benson. He has speed that Benson never did. I think he'd probably come in at something like RB15-RB20 on my rankings. Being downgraded too much based on short memories. He's a starting caliber talent and still young. If I could trade any of these guys for him, I'd snap my arm in half clicking accept so fast. 14. MJD18. DMC- see Matthews19. Sjax – Please go to a contender and finish out as a top 5 RB!20. Gore21. Sproles – wish we could rely on him more, even 2011 was up and down22. Leshoure24. Bush25. Bradshaw- love you but can’t stay healthy/Wilson knocking on the door26. BJGE- just produces, do they add a RB in the Draft?27. Ingram- role increasing28. Tate- Talent only ranking, Foster Workload29. Hunter- still main heir apparent30. DWill31. La Miller- talent ranking32. Br Brown- talent ranking33. Ry Williams- talent ranking34. Moreno- did enough to earn main role again in 2013?And that's without some of the borderline guys like Forte, CJ2K, and Murray.
Gerhart's just not any good, he's AD insurance only.
Disagree completely. 2nd round pick. Prolific college performer. More importantly, averaged 4.68 YPC on 92 carries after AD went down last year. He would be the best back on the roster for plenty of teams in the NFL.

Disagree with most of the above. I think you're right about Pierce though. I think Mendenhall's best case is this year's Benson, so his owners will have to wait until August to know if they have a starter or a cast off. Tough play.Mathews has gotten his opportunities, he's a committee back, can't handle the load.I think Wilson is ranked about right, disagree with some above and below but the spot is right. Ability and potential to be a RB1, but still under developed as a football player. I don't trust him.White flag on J Stew, convinced his lower body issues are why he's never been given a shot. Love the talent, but good committee back only.Gerhart's just not any good, he's AD insurance only.
Toughest guys to rank for me were the true handcuffs with great talent. I really like Pierce and Turbin as talents. I'll probably move them up. I thought Gerhart was a FA this year thats why I put him in with the Blount, Hillis types, guys that could get a better situation in Free Agency.

'EBF said:
The thing about value plays is that they don't look like value plays on the surface. That's why they're value plays.

Part of the reason why guys like Mendenhall, Pierce, and Gerhart are great buys is precisely because nobody thinks they're great buys. Recognizing the hidden value is what allows you to stockpile talent at discount prices.

'MAC_32 said:
'EBF said:
'Bronx Bomber said:
RB

16. Wilson- Upside

17. Matthews- Have to rank him somewhere… will go with the Talent only ranking

23. Jstew- Hype ranking

35. Mendenhall- could become a lead role in FA?

46. Pierce

62. Gerhart
Almost all of these guys are a lot more talented than many of the names listed ahead of them. Big value plays here. They have starter talent, but you can get most of them at discount prices because they didn't produce startable FF numbers in 2012. Wilson - Likely to be held hostage by his owners, but if you can get him for something like a MJD, Forte, or McFadden, I would roll the dice.

Mathews - When healthy, he is a good three down back.

Stewart - The biggest tease in FF still offers great upside relative to his price tag.

Mendenhall - Criminally low here. He will be starting somewhere next season.

Pierce - Had a better rookie year than Pead and Hillman, and has a better frame for three down duty.

Gerhart - Not as talented as ADP, but perhaps good enough to start elsewhere when his contract runs down. A much better proposition for FF owners than Peterson considering the relative price tags.
I think Mendenhall's best case is this year's Benson, so his owners will have to wait until August to know if they have a starter or a cast off. Tough play.
Mendenhall is somewhere between Lynch and Benson. Not as agile as Lynch or as good in the passing game, but certainly better than Benson. He has speed that Benson never did. I think he'd probably come in at something like RB15-RB20 on my rankings. Being downgraded too much based on short memories. He's a starting caliber talent and still young. If I could trade any of these guys for him, I'd snap my arm in half clicking accept so fast. 14. MJD

18. DMC- see Matthews

19. Sjax – Please go to a contender and finish out as a top 5 RB!

20. Gore

21. Sproles – wish we could rely on him more, even 2011 was up and down

22. Leshoure

24. Bush

25. Bradshaw- love you but can’t stay healthy/Wilson knocking on the door

26. BJGE- just produces, do they add a RB in the Draft?

27. Ingram- role increasing

28. Tate- Talent only ranking, Foster Workload

29. Hunter- still main heir apparent

30. DWill

31. La Miller- talent ranking

32. Br Brown- talent ranking

33. Ry Williams- talent ranking

34. Moreno- did enough to earn main role again in 2013?

And that's without some of the borderline guys like Forte, CJ2K, and Murray.

Disagree completely. 2nd round pick. Prolific college performer. More importantly, averaged 4.68 YPC on 92 carries after AD went down last year. He would be the best back on the roster for plenty of teams in the NFL.
Good assessment, I wasn't down on Mendehall, he just didn't jump out at me when I was looking through my rankings, I'll probably put him where I have Michael Bush at 24 right after JStew and bump Bush down. . Not sure why I had Bush so high.

'EBF said:
In the same sense that DuJuan Harris was better than anything on GB, maybe. If your argument is he's comparable to Greene or Wells, that's not a great selling point, and not something one of those desperate teams will be looking to upgrade to.I think we can safely rule out

NYG, PHI, WAS, DAL

MIN, DET, CHI, GB

ATL, TB, CAR, NO

SF, STL, ARI, SEA

NE, BUF, NYJ, MIA

IND, HOU, JAC, TEN

PIT, CLE, CIN, BAL

SD, DEN, OAK, KC

Leaves 6 teams.

In the same sense that DuJuan Harris was better than anything on GB, maybe. If your argument is he's comparable to Greene or Wells, that's not a great selling point, and not something one of those desperate teams will be looking to upgrade to.
Did you really just compare Toby Gerhart to DuJuan Harris?:lol:Let's see here....- Pac-10 superstar- Heisman runner-up- Consensus All-American- 2nd round pickvs.- UDFA out of Troy who rushed for 603 yards as a senior and has already been cut by two NFL teamsIf Gerhart is only as good as Greene or Wells, he's still well worth a punt at his current price tag. If he's the 35th best RB in the NFL and he's available for RB50 prices, he's a tremendous value. And that's basically how I feel about him. You're right that there aren't a lot of teams where he could walk into the starting lineup, but I think you could make a case that he'd be the best back on any of these teams based on current ability:DolphinsPatriotsJetsBengalsColtsJaguarsTitansBroncosChargersRaidersGiantsRedskinsBearsLionsPackersFalconsCardinalsRamsThat's 18 teams where he might have a prominent role within 1-2 years of signing. Even if you remove some of the more controversial selections, it's hard to deny that he'd be a major contender for starter on touches on the Jets, Colts, Broncos, Lions, Packers, Falcons, Cardinals, and Rams.

'thriftyrocker said:
'MAC_32 said:
'thriftyrocker said:
Don't agree with this line of thinking, at all.Age and production are factors, they're not the only ones.
Talent, situation, and upside all favor the 25yo as well, IMO. Risk favors the 27yo. Not really looking to discuss the 25yo that much, just the difference between the two players in the rankings struck me. It seems affected a lot by fantasy points in the current season, which is swayed a lot by TD production. The lazy ranking is "well Pitta came out of nowhere and scored more FP so he's a TE1 trending upward." On the other hand, the other guy is younger, put up similar numbers aside from TD, is a better athlete, is on a better offense (for the time being). But we hate him. He only had 2 TDs so he was disappointing. So he's still trending downward. Rudolph is everyone's #5 TE including my own, but all he did was score TDs. There were rumblings throughout the season that he just wasn't that good. But hey he scored TDs so hype him up some more and maybe he'll score some more.
As someone who follows the Packers closely, I can tell you that since the "book" was written on Finley early this season, he's quietly been a lot better football player. Somewhere around midseason, he started meeting weekly with Aaron Rodgers. He's not been perfect by any means since, but he's been much more focused, and the drops have dwindled. He's also made a lot more key blocks. Obviously, that doesn't all go towards the stat column in FF, but the biggest thing holding Finley back has been his lack of maturity. He's probably still on his way out of GB, but that may actually help his target numbers. It is similar to the point that EBF is making regarding some of those RBs. Finley is cheap right now. He may very well be a great buy low.

In the same sense that DuJuan Harris was better than anything on GB, maybe. If your argument is he's comparable to Greene or Wells, that's not a great selling point, and not something one of those desperate teams will be looking to upgrade to.
Did you really just compare Toby Gerhart to DuJuan Harris? :lol:
Yes. Yes, I did. Which RB was better in 2012?
If Gerhart is only as good as Greene or Wells, he's still well worth a punt at his current price tag. If he's the 35th best RB in the NFL and he's available for RB50 prices, he's a tremendous value. And that's basically how I feel about him.
Wells and Greene are not the 35th best RBs in the league. They are two of the worst RB in the league but are elevated to carries and FP because they are still on the team that drafted them and those teams are stupid. If Gerhart is only as good as Wells or Greene, he will never get a chance to start another game in the NFL barring injury (or injuries).Is Harris' situation preferable to Gerhart ATM? Harris could Timmy Smith himself into significant carries next year. Is trading Gerhart for Harris a bad bet ATM? If you bust on Harris, Gerhart's price isn't going up until that "barring injury (or injuries)" thing happens.

Nice rankings Bronx, and thanks for sharing. A few things stood out to me at WR.

TB Mike Williams @43. His non-ppr finishes so far: 12, 50, 18. He got his career back on track this year. Obviously, he'll be the #2 on that team for a while, but when he's shown any sort of focus, he's been a reliable starter in FF.

Eric Decker @25. He finished as WR8 this year. Probably would have had a breakout year in 2011, but had Tebow at QB. He's also the #2 WR on his team, but the QB is Manning. Chances of that offense scoring a lot through the air for the next few years is very good. To me, he's got plenty of talent to take advantage of a great situation for the next few years. Very likely candidate for multiple top 15 finishes.

Larry Fitzgerald @24 He's been a top 5 WR for four of the last six years. Clearly he still needs a QB, but even if they improve slightly at the position, he's proven he can get his with anything but total dregs.

Is Harris' situation preferable to Gerhart ATM? Harris could Timmy Smith himself into significant carries next year. Is trading Gerhart for Harris a bad bet ATM? If you bust on Harris, Gerhart's price isn't going up until that "barring injury (or injuries)" thing happens.
You're putting too many eggs in the situation basket. On lifetime body of work, Gerhart is a much better RB than Harris. He had a more prolific college career against much tougher competition. He has been the much better performer thus far in their NFL careers. I don't have him in any of my leagues, but if I did I certainly wouldn't trade him for Harris, a stop-gap flash in the pan barring some kind of unexpected postseason explosion. You have to use your imagination a little bit in FF. If a guy like Toby Gerhart was getting playing time, he wouldn't be cheap. The only reason he's available for a low price is precisely because people like you look at him and see the situation and not the value. Nobody here is saying that he's a future Pro Bowler, but he has a pretty good pedigree and will be a free agent after this season. If he goes to a team with a hole at RB, you just got a top 15 FF RB for peanuts. That upside is well worth the risk of what it would take to acquire him in a typical league. I think people sometimes fall into the trap in dynasty of getting too black-and-white in their thinking. Either a player is a superstar or he's garbage. The reality is that at any given time there are only a handful of elite players across the league at any given position. So while every NFL team would love to have Tom Brady and Adrian Peterson, somebody is going to have to start Joe Flacco and Shonn Greene every week. You don't have to be all-world to be a useful player. Gerhart is not Peterson, but that doesn't mean he's worthless. He is quite possibly good enough to be the next BJGE, Alfred Morris, or Shonn Greene. If you need RB help, he represents a much better gamble than whichever second rate rookie you could draft with the third round pick that it would take to acquire him.

'EBF said:
The thing about value plays is that they don't look like value plays on the surface. That's why they're value plays. Part of the reason why guys like Mendenhall, Pierce, and Gerhart are great buys is precisely because nobody thinks they're great buys. Recognizing the hidden value is what allows you to stockpile talent at discount prices.

'MAC_32 said:
'EBF said:
'Bronx Bomber said:
Mendenhall is somewhere between Lynch and Benson. Not as agile as Lynch or as good in the passing game, but certainly better than Benson. He has speed that Benson never did. I think he'd probably come in at something like RB15-RB20 on my rankings. Being downgraded too much based on short memories. He's a starting caliber talent and still young. If I could trade any of these guys for him, I'd snap my arm in half clicking accept so fast. 14. MJD18. DMC- see Matthews19. Sjax – Please go to a contender and finish out as a top 5 RB!20. Gore21. Sproles – wish we could rely on him more, even 2011 was up and down22. Leshoure24. Bush25. Bradshaw- love you but can’t stay healthy/Wilson knocking on the door26. BJGE- just produces, do they add a RB in the Draft?27. Ingram- role increasing28. Tate- Talent only ranking, Foster Workload29. Hunter- still main heir apparent30. DWill31. La Miller- talent ranking32. Br Brown- talent ranking33. Ry Williams- talent ranking34. Moreno- did enough to earn main role again in 2013?
I agree with Mendenhall as a buy low, and I'd take him over *most* of these guys. But I cannot fathom trading MJD or Sproles for him. I'd probably also take Bradshaw over him, but I view him right about that range in my rankings.

Did you really just compare Toby Gerhart to DuJuan Harris? :lol:
Yes. Yes, I did. Which RB was better in 2012?
If Gerhart is only as good as Greene or Wells, he's still well worth a punt at his current price tag. If he's the 35th best RB in the NFL and he's available for RB50 prices, he's a tremendous value. And that's basically how I feel about him.
Wells and Greene are not the 35th best RBs in the league. They are two of the worst RB in the league but are elevated to carries and FP because they are still on the team that drafted them and those teams are stupid. If Gerhart is only as good as Wells or Greene, he will never get a chance to start another game in the NFL barring injury (or injuries).Is Harris' situation preferable to Gerhart ATM? Harris could Timmy Smith himself into significant carries next year. Is trading Gerhart for Harris a bad bet ATM? If you bust on Harris, Gerhart's price isn't going up until that "barring injury (or injuries)" thing happens.
You are putting too much stock in a really bad year for Arizona and Wells. He is much better than the 35th best RB in the league. I'd be shocked if he didn't at least end up as a lead back in a committee in the next year or two, assuming he can stay healthy.

You're putting too many eggs in the situation basket.
For RBs, unless the player is a great talent, situation is the only thing that matters. There are a lot of guys who could come off the street like Harris, Montel Owens, Andre Brown, LSH, etc., and plug in at RB. You are elevating Gerhart above these players based on what he did in college, and what he did with fresh legs during the stretch last year. I'm sinking him down to that level of player based on his inability to get any sort of consistent role without injury to AP. And his terrible production this year.
If he goes to a team with a hole at RB, you just got a top 15 FF RB for peanuts. That upside is well worth the risk of what it would take to acquire him in a typical league.
That applies to a lot of RBs. There's 100 RBs with RB2 upside if they land in a good opportunity. Your claim is Gerhart's pedigree will carry over when he changes teams, but I don't think that's necessarily true. Once the team that drafted you spits you out, you're back with the Harris-level players fighting for your life.
If you need RB help, he represents a much better gamble than whichever second rate rookie you could draft with the third round pick that it would take to acquire him.
Both are gambles, either could pay off. Players like Turbin, Pierce, Ballard, Brown, Richardson taken in the 3rd last year seem to be better bets ATM. Other like Polk not so much. You know better than I ATM what the 3rd holds this year.
You are putting too much stock in a really bad year for Arizona and Wells. He is much better than the 35th best RB in the league. I'd be shocked if he didn't at least end up as a lead back in a committee in the next year or two, assuming he can stay healthy.
I knew I was being harsh. Wells is a one dimensional player who gets hurt a lot. I like him, really I do, but when LSH comes in and does a better job, you have to question what the issue was.

If you want to break the NFL RBs into tiers in real life, you'd probably get a few categories.

Tier 1 - Pro Bowl types who could start for almost any franchise in the league. (Peterson, Rice, etc)

Tier 2 - Solid starters who don't have Pro Bowl talent, but are good enough to be a perennial starter. (Benson, McGahee, BJGE, etc)

Tier 3 - Fringe starters who can thrive in spot duty, but might not be long term starter material (M Bush, Blount, Hillis, etc)

Tier 4 - Career backups and niche players (Stephens-Howling, Jennings, Mewelde Moore, etc)

Tier 5 - Roster fodder

Mendenhall is a tier two guy. Not a Pro Bowl talent, but if there was an NFL dispersal draft among all 32 franchises, he would end up starting for somebody. He is good enough to get a second contract as a starter on a new team. That's why I like him at his current price. You're getting a starting caliber talent at prospect prices.

As for Gerhart, he's probably a tier 2-3 guy. We really haven't seen enough of him to know what he'll by like at the NFL level. However, the 2nd round pedigree, the dominant college performance, and the good numbers in spot duty are signs that he might be capable of shouldering the load full time for a franchise. Dismissing him with statements like "There's 100 RBs with RB2 upside if they land in a good opportunity" is incorrect and naive. Gerhart is probably one of the top 25-50 three down backs in the NFL. He just happens to be stuck behind the very best, just like Darren Sproles and Michael Turner before him. Whether or not he becomes a useful FF player down the road is just a question of whether not a team who isn't the Vikings likes him enough to take a chance on him. The odds are worth the really low price tag for me.

I'm not saying that Gerhart is a superstar in waiting, but he's a poster boy for a player being punished and underrated on the basis of factors outside his control. He was never going to play meaningful snaps ahead of Adrian Peterson. The fact that he hasn't should have no bearing on his perceived value.

'EBF said:
Gerhart - Not as talented as ADP, but perhaps good enough to start elsewhere when his contract runs down. A much better proposition for FF owners than Peterson considering the relative price tags.
What does this really mean? Sure you don't have to pay as much for Gehart as you would for Peterson - for obvious reasons - but how does that make Gerhart a MUCH BETTER proposition for FF owners? I like Gerhart but in a best case scenario in a starting role he'd be at best a solid RB2 (and there is no guaranty he ever becomes a starting RB).

Also, the problem I think you may run into with your line of reasoning is that your not likely to get Gerhart all that cheaply. There are likely very few leagues where he's owned independantly of Peterson (especially when you consider many thought Peterson could be PUPed this season), and Peterson owners are not likely to give him away easily.

'EBF said:
What does this really mean? Sure you don't have to pay as much for Gehart as you would for Peterson - for obvious reasons - but how does that make Gerhart a MUCH BETTER proposition for FF owners? I like Gerhart but in a best case scenario in a starting role he'd be at best a solid RB2 (and there is no guaranty he ever becomes a starting RB).
It means the ratio of his value to his cost is better. Peterson is a much better back than Gerhart, but everyone knows this, so he will cost a lot more.

The most important consideration in determining who represents a good trade target isn't the overall value, but rather the value relative to the cost. If Peterson is worth an early 1st round pick, but will cost an early 1st round pick to acquire, then he isn't a good acquisition. On the flipside, if Gerhart is worth a 10th round pick, but will only cost a 15th round pick to acquire, he's a great pickup.

It's just a fancy way of saying that you should buy players when their actual value is lower than their perceived value.

'Bronx Bomber said:
5. Brady6. Brees
I never understood this. Over the last 4 years, Brees has 450 VBD. Brady has 402. In the most Brady-friendly comparison possible, he's averaged 129 VBD per season over his last 5- which is, of course, hugely inflated by that insane 2007. Brees, over his last 5 years, has 114. No matter how you slice it, Brees has been as productive as Brady, if not moreso, and he's 1.5 years younger. That's not a huge deal when comparing a 21 year old to a 23 year old, but it's a big, big deal when you're comparing a 34 year old to a 36 year old. Brees probably has 50% more career left in front of him than Brady.

Users who are viewing this thread